Has Princess cracked down seat savers yet?

puggleperson

If Princess would restrict the beach towels it would help the situation. At many all inclusive resorts you get 2 beach towels that you have to turn in for fresh ones. We are just off the Regal and there was no limit to the number of towels you could have. I saw some chairs with nothing but towels on them for hours that were never claimed. If you had only 2 and had to turn them in at the end of the cruise, people would be less inclined to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just got back from B2B on the "Royal", and the cliffs notes answer

to your question is: "NO". One day we got to the pool early (for us, anyway) around 9. Next to us there alredy was a towel and a bag on a lounger. We went to lunch at 1:30. Prior to us going to lunch NO ONE ever sat in that chair!

If Princess would restrict the beach towels it would help the situation. At many all inclusive resorts you get 2 beach towels that you have to turn in for fresh ones. We are just off the Regal and there was no limit to the number of towels you could have. I saw some chairs with nothing but towels on them for hours that were never claimed. If you had only 2 and had to turn them in at the end of the cruise, people would be less inclined to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially if they charged $25 for each towel you didn't turn back. :D

Saving ONE seat for a spouse/family member in the theatre to use the bathroom is a TOTALLY different issue than ONE person thinking they can save 6-8 seats for "family/friends" who did not show up until the lights were down and the show had started. That is my experience when I refused to allow a rude person to save that many seats.

If a seat/lounger has been empty at the pool for more than 30-45 minutes-obviously food or other forms of entertainment are much more important to them than getting wet or a tan.

It happens on land based vacations as well and the staff are usually much better at being attentive to chair hog abuse than the cruise lines are.

Saving ONE seat for a spouse/family member in the theatre to use the bathroom is a TOTALLY different issue than ONE person thinking they can save 6-8 seats for "family/friends" who did not show up until the lights were down and the show had started. That is my experience when I refused to allow a rude person to save that many seats.

If a seat/lounger has been empty at the pool for more than 30-45 minutes-obviously food or other forms of entertainment are much more important to them than getting wet or a tan.

It happens on land based vacations as well and the staff are usually much better at being attentive to chair hog abuse than the cruise lines are.

I totally agree with you. I also agree, whereas you shouldn't leave your lounge chair to go eat in the buffet or dining room, it is permissible to leave your chair for 10 minutes to get food from trident grill or the buffet if you plan on bringing it back to your lounge chair to eat.

Just got off the Regal this morning and had an incident where a 'gentleman' was trying to save six loungers in the adult area ( Retreat pool). Not the sanctuary! He was in another row and told me that they had gone for lunch. Another gentleman told me no one had been there since 10 AM. I pushed over the towel and the magazine and sat down. I read my book while the 'gentleman' hovered over me and texted his friends to come get their loungers. One person came and I had no intention of moving. He scoffed away and I enjoyed my afternoon

A couple of weeks ago on the Ruby, my wife and I were enjoying a libation by the aft pool around 1pm. We were taking in the view, sounds and smells of the sea. All lounges had towels, Princess Blue bags, paper back books, etc on them. Four or five lounges were occupied. We were there for at least an hour with minimal changes in occupancy.

As we were watching the wake, a couple of "ladies" came by. One pointed to several lounges and said to her companion, "Those are ours" and they left. They were not dressed for the sun. It appeared that they had discovered the "no limits" policy at the buffet. We stayed another 30 to 45 minutes and did not see them return

I think the RCI policy of charging may help.

Cheers.

On one cruise, a while back, in the theater a pre-teen child was on the front row which had about 14 empty seats. I needed a place to see the show. I went to sit down. The young girl said, "My mom sent me to save these seats." I said all of them. She said, Yes.

I sat down anyway and commented that saving seats wasn't allowed. That was all, no harsh tone, no raised voice.

About 15 minutes later, in comes Mom, Dad, brothers, sisters, friends, etc....

They had to seat themselves in other rows - about 4 or 5 behind us. I overheard the young girl tell her mother, "and she yelled at me."

In defense of Princess, I have seen personnel tell seat savers in the theater that it isn't allowed except for a spouse (1 seat), and then allowed those needing a seat to be seated.

I wish that there was a solution - maybe ushering people to seats (all parties have to be present) or giving a ticket with a seat number on it (one per attendee).

On RCCL ships you are issued one beach towel and if it is not turned in at the end of the cruise, $25 will be added to your folio. It makes the towels much more valuable and cuts down on chair hogs.

Sounds like a great idea to me. I wouldn't want to risk losing $25 over saving a seat. Of course I'm sure that some of these people who save chairs and end up losing their towels probably wouldn't have enough of a conscience and would end up stealing someone else's towel.

We sailed on a Celebrity transatlantic cruise a few years ago.. There were going to be six days-at-sea in a row (crossing the Atlantic).. Everybody was getting ready for a nice, relaxing time on the ship - especially around the pool deck - for those six days.. Well, the very first sea-day, after breakfast, we had gotten to the pool area around 9AM and immediately noticed that somebody had "reserved" 11 (yes, 11!) lounge chairs IN A ROW directly next to the pool!!. There were nothing on these chairs but books, suntan lotion, flip-flops, hats, etc - WITH NO BODIES IN THEM - for over 3 hours!. We were sitting in the row behind them, so we had to watch as throngs of people walked by, looking for a place to sit, but couldn't find any chairs together... while these 11 were "reserved".. I couldn't believe the audacity of these selfish boors.. Believe me... had we really wanted any two of those particular chairs, their "STUFF" would have been thrown on the floor (or into the pool), and we would have proudly taken residence.

I was just waiting to see who (or WHAT, in this case) would have the nerve to show up to claim these chairs.. Sure enough, at around 12:30, three members of a group strolled over to the chairs, laughing and jabbering - indignant of their selfishness and inconsideration.. I was planning on having a conversation with them, but they did not speak English - or pretended not to - and so they just sat there the remaining time, without anybody else joining them by the time we left.

By the way, after an hour of the chairs being empty, I went right over to the pool butler, who said that there was nothing he could do about it (!), and that I had to speak with the security guy who was on deck.. Well, I went over to him, brought him right over to the chairs - which were all empty and had been for over an hour - and he was, shall we say, "non-concerned" over it.. I could feel my blood boiling, as I realized that he fully intended to reward these inconsiderate chair-hogging clods, while punishing those who can't find a chair.. I asked him who his boss was...he said the Hotel Director.. I thanked him and left.

I knew that we had 5 more sea days, and there was no way I was going to watch this happen every day.. Absolutely no way.. So I made an appointment with the Hotel Director, and on the way to dinner that evening went to her office to have a nice little "chat" with her.. I told her about what I observed that day, how the pool butlers / security guy did nothing about it, and that "reserving" chairs like was simply not acceptable and wouldn't be tolerated - especially for the next 5 sea days where the pool deck would be very popular.. She actually thanked me profusely for letting her know about it.. She said "if passengers like you didn't come here to tell me about things like this, I wouldn't know how severe the problem was".. She also asked me for the name of the security guy - which I told her.

Well, the next day there were FOUR OFFICERS patrolling the pool deck.. Unoccupied chairs with "token items" were non-existent, the pool butlers were not just standing around folding towels, and I did not see that security guy for the rest of the cruise.. Nobody knew that it was me who prompted such a change in the poolside enforcement, but I privately felt good about it.

One of the lessons I learned here is that, if you do see glaringly offensive chair hogging going on.... just make an appointment with the Hotel Manager (it's THEIR JOB) and tell him/her that this is negatively impacting the enjoyment of your vacation, and that you will not tolerate or accept such blantant selfishness and inconsideration from your fellow passengers.

- Rick

NOTE: The following is a joke i.e. sarcasm. It is only a joke.

One could do some experimenting on a multi sea day journey.

Day one: Removed belongings from seats 3, 5, and 7 at 1100. At 1400 party returned and looked around confused.

Day two: Removed items from seats 3 to 6 at 1000. Party returned at 1300 and complained to deck steward.

Day three: Removed all items and placed them on chair 5 at 1000. Party returned at 1130 and insulted people that took "their" chairs. Got free drink from pool bartender.

Day four: Been drinking for free all day. Bar staff have been wagering on what I was going to do today. Did nothing. Did not have to. They never left after placing their items in the chairs. My work is done here.

True story, can't make this stuff up.

Feb 7 - 14 - Regal Princess.

Early each morning, two chairs by the pool were "reserved" with bright yellow T-shirts which said

Front - "I got here first"

Back - This is my chair (or similar)

Should have got a picture!

oh...shirts were very visible and I never saw anyone in those chairs.

We never sit out for more than 30 minutes in the sun. I am sure there are many more like us. If chairs were not saved, they would get much more use. Perhaps there needs to be designated area where chairs must remain occupied or items must be removed.

With that said...if you did not want to sit by the pool, loungers were easy to find.

I think I will get 100 T-shirts made and put them out on all the chairs early in the morning..they will say "reserved, but feel free to use me, just remove your belongings when you get up so others may enjoy"

Just to show you how bad people are and how deeply disturbed they are. I have witnessed people reserve prime position seats in the Piazza or what is known as the atrium to others at 4am onwards. Couples take it in turns reserving seats and stay there all morning.

The reason I know this is that firstly I am into interior photography and like to do still shots around the ship with no passengers so sometimes a pre-dawn photo shoot will get me up early. Other times if I want to record video of a port sail in or if I have been up all night meeting people at parties.

I don't care where I sit on a ship but to me a couple waking at 4am just to get the seat they want and lay handbags, books and items and then have some sort of relay back to their cabin while the other half minds the seats is deeply disturbing to me.

A couple of weeks ago on the Ruby, my wife and I were enjoying a libation by the aft pool around 1pm. We were taking in the view, sounds and smells of the sea. All lounges had towels, Princess Blue bags, paper back books, etc on them. Four or five lounges were occupied. We were there for at least an hour with minimal changes in occupancy.

As we were watching the wake, a couple of "ladies" came by. One pointed to several lounges and said to her companion, "Those are ours" and they left. They were not dressed for the sun. It appeared that they had discovered the "no limits" policy at the buffet. We stayed another 30 to 45 minutes and did not see them return

I think the RCI policy of charging may help.

Cheers.

Hmm, maybe that's a good way to score some Princess totes.

I think it was my last cruise that I was looking for a deck chair in the shade on the non-smoking side so I can watch the late morning MUTS movie. There was one chair that had a blouse and a paperback book so I asked the people in that area if they knew the person who had left it. Nope. Have anyone been there for more than 30 minutes. Yes. So I removed the items to a table, sat in the chair and said "You didn't see that." Got some laughs. More than an hour later, a woman came by and took the items. Fortunately she didn't say anything because I would have said please look at the sign over there that says there's a 30 minute limit for what she was doing.

If one is going to go eat (and not just grab some food and return with the food), you need to give up your chair. If I need a chair and I can get verification that it's been deserted for at least an half hour, I can take it. If you confront me, I'll pretend not to know anything about it (and I would guess any deck person won't get involved).

I totally agree with you. I also agree, whereas you shouldn't leave your lounge chair to go eat in the buffet or dining room, it is permissible to leave your chair for 10 minutes to get food from trident grill or the buffet if you plan on bringing it back to your lounge chair to eat.

i left a towel at the lounge chair i picked to watch the movies on the golden i was gone 3 minutes if that the time it took to go to the ice cream and back and my towel was gone , lucky for me chair was still free i think i moved when the waves of the pool threatened to spray me with more water then i wanted to be sprayed with though

Here's a thought. What if you were to take several copies of that sign with you and, when ready to "de-towel" the chair (especially several chairs that are being held), put the sign in its place?

I love this idea. I don't use the pools but like to sit in a shaded area and people watch now and then early in the day. I think I will bring some in April 2017 on the Ruby. When I see the 7 AM folks leave their towels after 8 I'll move them and place a sign on the chair :). I like the crew on Princess ships so this can help them do their jobs without the fuss.

Oh and when on NCL at least on one of our Gem trips the pool stewards put dots on chairs with towels. A little later they removed the towels and their dots so there is a way to control this at least a little.

Edited by latebloomer56
added

• 8 months later...

I have had skin cancer multiple times- I need shade. I get a balcony but 1/2 the day it is in the sun, so I need to go to the shady side of the deck.

Once I saw 2 chairs in the shade and sat nearby at a table and watched them for over 30 mins. then removed the personal items and put them on a table so my husband and I could sit in the shade.

A group of 4-6 people told me they were saved for their group who wanted a set of sun chairs and shade chairs. I said that is just too rude to comment on, put on my headphones and ignored them.

Hopefully on Regal there are other spots with shade. It doesn't have to be by the pool...