Travel agent problem

Hawaiidan

I have never had this situation arise but if a agent is non-performing how late in the game can I fire him? What alternative exist for punitive action when an agent promises something tangible and intentionally does not ? If he was commissioned will and he gets fired for cause, will Oceania request back the commission?

Can I do it after final documents, 21 days before one cruise and 30 days before another.

I don't have the answer to this...any one out there had this sort of dealing ?

I have never had this situation arise but if a agent is non-performing how late in the game can I fire him? What alternative exist for punitive action when an agent promises something tangible and intentionally does not ? If he was commissioned will and he gets fired for cause, will Oceania request back the commission?

Can I do it after final documents, 21 days before one cruise and 30 days before another.

I don't have the answer to this...any one out there had this sort of dealing ?

Once you transfer your booking to a TA basically they own it. They can only

be" fired" if they choose to transfer the booking to another TA. Sadly I would think you would have to go after them after the fact.

but before final payment.Filled out a document sent to me from original(online,large company one) to a bricks and mortar one.

Got much better help and had no problem.

Any TA s out there with more details?

It was for a river cruise,but doubt that would be any difference.

I d give it a try and ASK.;)

If you fire then after 30 days from the booking date they still get the commission

They are the TA on record

something you should discuss with Oceania & your TA

Edited by LHT28

Take it to your TA's management no different than if you have a complaint at Costco you don't call up Cap't Highliner.

I'll give you credit for not holding back. Had I made previous posts about squeezing every nickel out of a TA trying to make living I doubt if I'd come back later to let everyone know about a problem I have with their service.

What other agent would want to toke over your account? They would get paid nothing for their time, expertise and knowledge. The only reason would be on the hope of future business that would make them profit. Oops, there goes those nickels and dimes again.

Your TAs management would have an interest, at least to hear about your complaint. They might weigh the loss your future business against the required response against the possible mediation by O though they too might side with the TA.

I am not saying you don't have a valid complaint but I am saying your first course of action should be with the Agency and that might not be heard.

Good luck, hope you get an amiable solution

Edited by YoHoHo

the agent of record if you write to Oceania. You are very close to the closing date though and the papers may have already gone out. This is interesting, and I would love to know the outcome.

There is never, and could never, be a restriction on the Client changing his or her Agent (after all, those "Agents" legally represent the Passenger), however, Oceania recently changed the rules about the Commissions pertaining to those last minute Agent switches, because so many were playing fast and loose with the process.

I agree that it will be interesting to see how this plays out, Yohoho put it very succinctly, and FAR more diplomatically, than I ever could in Post #10. Well Done!

Edited by JimandStan

I find this whole thing baffling. I have a great TA who gives me lots of perks. EVERYTHING is on the invoice he gives me - whether it's an OBC, gratuities or anything else. At that point it's a contract. There is no doubt about what we agreed to. There is never a problem.

Do you have a verbal agreement with a TA? Big mistake..

A verbal agreement is not worth the paper it's not written on -- was that a Yogi Berraism?

I find this whole thing baffling. I have a great TA who gives me lots of perks. EVERYTHING is on the invoice he gives me - whether it's an OBC, gratuities or anything else. At that point it's a contract. There is no doubt about what we agreed to. There is never a problem.

Do you have a verbal agreement with a TA? Big mistake..

A verbal agreement is not worth the paper it's not written on -- was that a Yogi Berraism?

That was just Dan's point, he DID have it in writing from the TA, but now she is reneging, and he wanted to know what his recourse was.

That was just Dan's point, he DID have it in writing from the TA, but now she is reneging, and he wanted to know what his recourse was.

I did not see where he stated he had a written agreement with his TA and I just reread the posts. I am inferring he had a "promise."

If it's a written agreement, that's very simple.

Any respectable agency would honor it.

I don't believe that he picked them for their honor....

it was something or other to do with a kickback.

Well, if it's an illegal kickback (as opposed to a legal rebate) then it would not be in writing and no one will enforce an "illegal" contract -- not even a court of law.

A legal rebate would be in writing.

IMO he got what he was entitled to. I don't do business with thieves. This is exactly the risk you take when you bargain for something to which you are not entitled in the first place.

A re-cap.... I entered into a written agreement with a great agent and the agency he worked for. All terms and benefits were both legal and proper and in writing.

The problem per se is not specifically the individual agent but with Agency managers.

He, is as frustrated As I

No, I will not mention the agency, the agent or the problems and it is not ALL about money as some thought and only our specific business.

In the beginning I only quired as to the mechanics and strictures necessary to express, resolve or move forward from a problem that appeared to be at an impasse.

My hope is that others faced with such a dilemma would have a clearer idea of what to do and where to turn.

A re-cap.... I entered into a written agreement with a great agent and the agency he worked for. All terms and benefits were both legal and proper and in writing.

The problem per se is not specifically the individual agent but with Agency managers.

He, is as frustrated As I

No, I will not mention the agency, the agent or the problems and it is not ALL about money as some thought and only our specific business.

In the beginning I only quired as to the mechanics and strictures necessary to express, resolve or move forward from a problem that appeared to be at an impasse.

My hope is that others faced with such a dilemma would have a clearer idea of what to do and where to turn.

A thought -- there are plenty of rogue agents out there -- they offer benefits that are outside the guidelines of the cruise line just to get a booking. If this is discovered, the entire agency could lose the opportunity to book that cruise line. Oceania has some strict guidelines and as I understand it a zero tolerance for violations.

Did your agent step outside those guidelines? If so, the agency is correct in not approving it. You might want to find out.

I can't really understand why you are asking other people's opinions as it seems that from most of your posts you are the resident expert on most subjects. ;)

Edited by ORV

I can't really understand why you are asking other people's opinions as it seems that from most of your posts you are the resident expert on most subjects. ;)

A brilliant response. My suggestion is that you just swallow the loss and enjoy your cruise.

Brian

No one knows everything .......and as with any problem I was not sure of I consult others..... for their knowledge , wisdom and synergy of experience.

I reiterate this is not about "kick backs" or practices that are not legal as inferred. I selected this agency based on performance and customer service.

This was no back alley deal as inferred.

Suit yourself, but without some details, it's tough for anyone to advise you. Depending on the issue, the appropriate course of action MIGHT be to contact the cruise line. Or it MIGHT be to contact an attorney. Or your credit card company. Or the BBB, FTC, or state attorney general's office. Or post on social media. Or something else. Again- without knowing ANYTHING about the issue, I don't know how anyone can give you any better suggestions. :confused:

Edited by waterbug123