Delta Airlines Price Botch

MotownVoice

I was shopping around for our flights yesterday. I check all the airlines regularly to keep track of price points. For those of you in the states, specifically along the eastern seaboard, round trip to and from the Mediterranean is generally between 17 hundred and 2000 US dollars per person coach.

During my sniffing around yesterday I happened upon a rare deal on Delta Airlines' website. The first listed per psgr rate was $1312. The next price range was 19 something.

So I though, "such a deal!" I filled out the order form, filled in the passenger info and gave them my credit card number. After it got past the "In Case of Emergency" page I got an error:

"We're sorry. This fare is sold out. Please try again later or start over."

So I did. EIGHT TIMES.

Finally I decided to get at the bottom of this. It almost smelled of switcheroo to me. (You see the price, get used to the Delta Website, then end up taking the 19 hundred dollar tickets out of frustration.) Naturally I had nothing to base an accusation like that on except this single anecdotal incident.

So when I called, gave the nice lady the info I was inputting into the reservation fields, and we both stopped on the page that shows rates I said, "So you should see it right at the top of the page. $1312."

She audibly gasped. Now, a $600 discount per person on airfare isn't a HUGE deal. But it is a ... BIG deal.

I sat on hold for 52 minutes off and on while she talked to several department heads. I presume she was trying to find a way to negate that offer. It was obviously some kind of a mistake.

At the end she came back to the phone, apologized for the long wait, and explained that since I was offered that price they would have to honor it.

So I have my flight tickets to the Med at about an 1800 savings for three of us.

The bottom line of this story: I just checked again this morning. The rate still hasn't been taken down. I don't know if you filled out a reservation with anything other than "from detroit to the mediterranean" it would necessarily give YOU that mistaken rate. But it's worth a look, no? And if you're willing to sit through 52 minutes of hold music for that much savings, I just figured I'd let you know that this deal is out there.

:) Cheers

Edited by MotownVoice
Edited because I'm an ADD moron

I've read the Delta website. In simple terms, could someone tell me the penalty for canceling a flight? My cruise bud is not going on a cruise with me in Sept but has already paid the airfare to EWR. I see she can cancel the flight and request a refund, but how much of the fare would she actually get back? There is no insurance involved.

I've read the Delta website. In simple terms, could someone tell me the penalty for canceling a flight? My cruise bud is not going on a cruise with me in Sept but has already paid the airfare to EWR. I see she can cancel the flight and request a refund, but how much of the fare would she actually get back? There is no insurance involved.

It would depend on the fare rules. May need to call Delta to find out. Assuming she went with the cheapest fare, I almost guarantee it is not refundable in the slightest. Should would likely, however, have a year from purchase to use the funds, minus a change fee (usually $200 or so)

I've been searching for airfare to Norway for a few weeks now. I've checked out of my home airport, and also YYZ, EWR, BOS, and JFK. All were in the $1100 and up range. Some less expensive ones were available if I wanted to detour through eastern Europe.

Several days ago, just before bed, I found a fare on Delta, from my home airport, for just under $700. I checked and double checked all the connections, flight times, connection times, everything I could think of, and grabbed the ticket. I checked again yesterday, just for fun, and it's still available.

As almost everyone purchased the cheapest fare, I am assuming she has a nonrefundable ticket. So, she will not receive any cash back. As stated, she can pay the change fee and then use the ticket value for another flight, but it must be for her, and used within one year of the original ticketing date.

She'd have to call DL and ask, or read the terms and conditions associated with her ticket to verify.

It would depend on the fare rules. May need to call Delta to find out. Assuming she went with the cheapest fare, I almost guarantee it is not refundable in the slightest. Should would likely, however, have a year from purchase to use the funds, minus a change fee (usually $200 or so)

I believe Delta change fee is currently $250 for international tickets.

I was shopping around for our flights yesterday. I check all the airlines regularly to keep track of price points. For those of you in the states, specifically along the eastern seaboard, round trip to and from the Mediterranean is generally between 17 hundred and 2000 US dollars per person coach.

During my sniffing around yesterday I happened upon a rare deal on Delta Airlines' website. The first listed per psgr rate was $1312. The next price range was 19 something.

So I though, "such a deal!" I filled out the order form, filled in the passenger info and gave them my credit card number. After it got past the "In Case of Emergency" page I got an error:

"We're sorry. This fare is sold out. Please try again later or start over."

So I did. EIGHT TIMES.

Finally I decided to get at the bottom of this. It almost smelled of switcheroo to me. (You see the price, get used to the Delta Website, then end up taking the 19 hundred dollar tickets out of frustration.) Naturally I had nothing to base an accusation like that on except this single anecdotal incident.

So when I called, gave the nice lady the info I was inputting into the reservation fields, and we both stopped on the page that shows rates I said, "So you should see it right at the top of the page. $1312."

She audibly gasped. Now, a $600 discount per person on airfare isn't a HUGE deal. But it is a ... BIG deal.

I sat on hold for 52 minutes off and on while she talked to several department heads. I presume she was trying to find a way to negate that offer. It was obviously some kind of a mistake.

At the end she came back to the phone, apologized for the long wait, and explained that since I was offered that price they would have to honor it.

So I have my flight tickets to the Med at about an 1800 savings for three of us.

The bottom line of this story: I just checked again this morning. The rate still hasn't been taken down. I don't know if you filled out a reservation with anything other than "from detroit to the mediterranean" it would necessarily give YOU that mistaken rate. But it's worth a look, no? And if you're willing to sit through 52 minutes of hold music for that much savings, I just figured I'd let you know that this deal is out there.

:) Cheers

I'm so glad you were persistent when you found the error. Actually 52 minutes to save money is worth it . I would just turn on the speakerphone grab a cup of tea and just browse Cruise Critic.

Anyways when I was looking for a One Way to Brazil I saw airfares for $948+ one way and went to a discounter website and got the same flight for $474 and yes it has restrictions but in order to save money it was worth it. For the price of the $948 one way ticket we're getting two tickets and have a day in Mexico City to tour the city.

When you see an error call just like the OP did you see sometimes people would just give up after getting the error message. This is exactly what the airlines are hoping you would do "Just move on" and wait.

The OP was lucky that Delta honored the discounted fare sometimes airlines would say"Tough luck there is no inventory for the fare you are seeing" or "Yes it may so XYZ online but there is a discrepancy and we cannot book you at that rate". But to keep a loyal customer airlines would accept the glitch in hopes you will pay for the "Extra Legroom Seats" "Day Pass to the SkyClub" etc.

Anyways glad it worked out in your favor.

Edited by travelplus

That "just sold out" error message is VERY common with Delta. It is not bait and switch, just a very quirky website.

If the person must cancel, I would wait as long as possible. Most likely Delta will have a schedule change. If the schedule change is something like 60-90 minutes different from the original flights, she can then get a full refund to the form of payment that was originally used.

A conspiracy? If you don't trust Delta, and think that even individual agents (who have no stake in getting you to book a more expensive flight) are in on the scheme, then don't use them. If someone encounters this problem repeatedly, why would they ever try Delta again? Fly with someone else. No fare, booked anywhere, is final until you book and pay for a ticket. I've had this happen with third party sites as well as airlines.

Penalty for cancelling a flight? For a non-refundable ticket? The price of the ticket. If you want to apply the funds to a future trip, the fee is $150 for domestic flights, I believe, but I don't know for international. United charges $300 per person for international flights.

Edited by Fattony

A conspiracy? If you don't trust Delta, and think that even individual agents (who have no stake in getting you to book a more expensive flight) are in on the scheme, then don't use them. If someone encounters this problem repeatedly, why would they ever try Delta again? Fly with someone else. No fare, booked anywhere, is final until you book and pay for a ticket. I've had this happen with third party sites as well as airlines.

Penalty for cancelling a flight? For a non-refundable ticket? The price of the ticket. If you want to apply the funds to a future trip, the fee is $150 for domestic flights, I believe, but I don't know for international. United charges $300 per person for international flights.

Actually almost all domestic Delta tickets have a $200 fee now for changes.