Navigator/General questions

Hi everyone. I’m new to the forum, as well as cruising in general. My boyfriend and I will be on Navigator of the Seas in May, and I’m so excited for my first cruise. I would love some helpful hints/pointers, if you guys don’t mind.

Is the Ultimate Drink Package worth it? Do you get your money’s worth?

Are the specialty restaurants worth the extra money?

I’ve heard horror stories about how small the cabins are. Is there room for your empty luggage? Or, would it be best for duffles that collapse?

And the million dollar question – is it possible to get your cabin upgraded?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Luggage normally fits under the bed. You may have to lift the bedframe up a bit to slide the bag under, but we've had no problem putting our bags under the bed.

Edited by clarea

The drink package can be worth it, but it will depend on your drinking habits. The more you drink, the better financial sense it might make!

Drinks included in your fare are: coffee, tea (iced or hot), ice water, lemonade or flavored water, milk and juice at breakfast. Sodas (by the can ) are around $2.55 or so...and alcohol varies, with wine being the most expensive way to "catch a buzz".

If this is your 1st cruise, then you'll likely be fine without any of the specialty restaurants!

Ship cabins are smaller than hotel rooms, that's for sure, but they are well-designed and have good storage. Suitcases will fit under the beds. There are cubbies and shelves all over to put your stuff!

Free upgrades are few and far between...do NOT hold your breath!

Enjoy your first cruise! There is nothing like it and I hope you have a wonderful time.

The ultimate drink package would not be worth it for me, but that is just because I don't drink as much as I used to! If you think you would be close to a break-even on the drink package...go for it and enjoy the piece of mind. Ship drink prices are about what you would expect to pay in most bars on land. And remember, the package includes fresh OJ, specialty coffees. soda, and bottled water.

The specialty restaurants are very nice and a refreshing break from the MDR every night. They are quieter, service is more personalized, and food is prepared to order so much better IMHO. I think they are a good value...at Chops, for $35pp you get a dining experience that would be double that on land.

Rooms have a cozy feel to them and are smaller than typical hotel rooms. But, they are very functional. I recommend a balcony if at all possible as it provides another sitting area and is my favorite place to be on a ship...especially for sunrise and sunsets. I would book the cabin you want and not expect any upgrade as they are quite rare.

Lex

I agree with others, a balcony, then look at other rooms, (when can) see what you might want to book on future cruises. Y'all WILL enjoy the NOS. I'm on board for May 4.

I'm just off the Navigator. Cabins are about on par with other cruise lines I've sailed. A wee bit bigger than some, smaller than others. How much time to you intend to stay in your cabin anyway? If you think you'll be there a LOT, then get a bigger cabin. If it's a place to sleep, bathe and get dressed, then it makes no difference.

For me the drink packages are not worth it. Though I did get the Royal Replenish on the last cruise; since i don't really like fountain sodas w/ whatever sweetener is in the diet coke (I think it's saccharine), I really didn't get my $20/day's worth. A fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast and a bottle of water and specialty coffee now and then. If aviator ahd the Freestyle Coke Machines, I'd have MORE than gotten my money's worth, but they aren't on the Nav. But there is a value to the convenience of not having to sign for every drink and not having a "surprise" at the end of the cruise when you get your bill.

UPGRADES? Yeah just call them and pay the extra to upgrade. Watch the prices and if you see a price you like on a bigger cabin, call and upgrade. Free upgrades? 70 cruises on various lines, and it's never happened to me. Don't hold your breath.

I loved Giovanni's Table. $15 for lunch. $25 for dinner. Served family style (except the entree). really quite good. 6 of us went. 6 of us raved. I've not been to Izumi, but it seemed busy. They were giving all sorts of special rates for Sabor, calling on the phone and passing out "coupons". I've read mixed reviews on here but the people that did go were very pleased with the experience when I asked them about it.

PS: you'd think after all my cruises I'd be a better packer, but I'm hopelessly stuck in the Overpackers Anonymous group.

Don't sweat it! The rooms are smaller than the typical hotel room, but you really won't notice. I suspect you won't find that you spend much time in the room anyway. As for luggage, take what you have. If its too big to store in the cabin, the room steward will store it for you and bring it back the night before you leave. As others have said, there is lots of room under the bed: we store 4 rollaboards under the bed, there is plenty of room.

Drink package: I think you would have to work really hard to make the drink package really work. Given that its around $55 per day, that is quite a few drinks: 11 beers or perhaps 8 mixed drinks. Every day. Now, on a good day by the pool, I could do that, but not everyday, especially if you are going ashore.

On the other hand, the packages do include soft drinks, so if you are really into soda, that package by itself runs $6.50 per day, so that means you get 49.50 in alcohol, less if you also do premium coffee.

Do the math yourself, and you can always create your own "personal package' by budgeting yourself $55 per day for drinks, you probably will spend less than the package when all is said and done.

Premium restaurants: Personally, I say no, its not worth it. The food is good, don't get me wrong. But it isn't the best steak I have ever had, or best Italian food I have ever had. The way I figure it, I can go to good restaurants anywhere, any time. I don't need to do it on my cruise. I am in the camp that I am paying for my meals in the Dining room or Buffet, and paying more for food that is already paid for ruins my appetite. $30 doesn't seem bad for a steak until you consider that it is $30 plus the dinner you didn't eat downstairs. The Main Dining Room is full service, and superior service to what you get at most casual restaurants. If its your first cruise, enjoy the dining room. That way you will know if the specialty would appeal next time. Or check the menu during the day, and if nothing appeals, book a specialty table that night.

Lexus,

Take those reviews with a "grain of salt"... how someone else receives their vacation or likes or dislikes the food is very subjective. I know we have had some things that make us go "what the heck" but it did not ruin our vacation. We were recently on Navigator for the March 16th sailing and were delayed getting off the ship - thankful to get off -- and thankful we did not sit in port for 3 days like the others. But the drive home was a bit much, driving all night and pulling in driveway at 5 am. I think for a first cruise you will hopefully have a great time. Being prepared with reviews and what to do and deciding early on for your excursions and maybe specialty dining will help. The rest, just sit back and enjoy.

Also we did eat at Giovannis (4th night) and Chops (7th night) just because i personally dont care for the menus - those in my group would of been fine with eating in the MDR. Our waiters in both the MDR and specialty restaurants were fabulous all week - either way you wont go wrong...

What ports will you visit?

I overpack for everything. So, this 7 day cruise won't be an exception...unfortunately. Chops was good, then? Are they reasonably priced too?

It might be $30 or $35 person. The view is very nice up there, especially around sunset.

I do not recommend Chops on Navigator. RCI is experimenting with a new menu on that ship. That menu is not nearly as extensive as Chops menus on other ships. And the price I believe on Nav is now $35 pp. For your first cruise, I suggest you just enjoy the included dining venues.

Watch those first cruises, they can become addictive. I won a cruise from my company in 1996. We have been on one or two a year since and will be on the Navigator mid May and mid October. As for packing, make a list of everything you take and then check everything you bring back clean. Those are items you can eliminate next time. We still overpack! Enjoy your trip!

Its not called Cruise Critic for nothing. It seems that a lot of people like to use this forum to criticize. I read negative after negative yet go on the very ships they are criticizing things for and have yet to have any of the issues they complain about. We have done 17 cruises including 2 on Navigator which was recently updated. We had a great time. There will be enough space to store your luggage. Chops is a nice change of pace if you want to pay the fee. Upgrades are generally offered to Crown and Anchor members first if any are available at all. They sail full most of the time so its not likely you will have the opportunity to upgrade. I hope you enjoy your first cruise. If you do, you will be hooked for life.

My first cruise was on Mariner, in a balcony room. As soon as I walked in I was like OMG and started laughing, about how small it seemed. Once we got unpacked, it never bothered us and never has on any other cruise. The rooms are very functional, so there is plenty of room for everything.

I personally don't really enjoy the specialty restaurants. I have done Giovanni's Table for lunch on Oasis and it was good and worth the $15pp once. But I personally really enjoy MDR, I don't typically eat fancy but enjoy it on the ship. I did my time dining once, and hated it though, I thought the service was very sub-par and with or without a reservation I ended up waiting in line for 10-30 minutes each night.

I did get a free upgrade once, but I had booked a balcony guarantee, two weeks before the cruise and got a junior suite. Considering I got a really good deal through work, I paid less for my Junior Suite than a lot people paid for their interior rooms. I have booked other guarantees, though, without an upgrade.

Congratulations on booking your first cruise! Yes, the rooms are generally smaller than a motel room, but you have much more interesting things to see outside your stateroom than you usually do in a motel.

After having just eaten in Navigator's Chops in February, I'd say no. They'd just raised their cover charge to $35 from $30 and their menu items were not as good. Save your money, and go to Perini Ranch Steakhouse in Abilene. On the other hand, Sabor was wonderful, and we loved their made at your table Guacamole.

I think you're better getting your drinks on an individual basis rather than a drink package. Since they don't have your money up front, they'll try harder.

We're Diamond, and never seen an upgrade. A few cruises back, one of our dining room table mates said that once we had over 300 crown and anchor points, we'd start getting upgraded. Our travel agent said she had a customer that once got upgraded from an Outside all the way up to a Grand Suite. And I've read sometimes they'll upgrade new cruisers to hook them. So you never know.

I think the best use of your money is to book a pre-cruise hotel as well as purchase cruise insurance. We usually flew in the day before, and once Royal gave us a force night. We found it so much more stressful. Also, the airlines have lost our luggage twice since we started cruising, and we had those extra hours for them to find our suitcases. With the cruise insurance, we had to cancel our very first cruise because my husband broke his hip. Our first cruise sailed got back to port 8 hours late, and Royal put us up in a hotel with meal tickets and rebooked our air the next morning.

Relax the first day. They have thousands of pieces of luggage to sort through, and sometimes we've received our bags after dinner.

If you read any reviews, be sure to click to see if all their reviews are negative, and also check the number of posts they make. I post reviews of our cruises, but I usually wait a month before posting. It gives me some distance from the event itself, and if there's a problem with the cruise, it gives Royal a chance to respond first.

Keep monitoring for price drops. They'll honor them up to final payment. After that, you can only upgrade to the next category if the price is right.

Edited by knittinggirl

I am an overpacker. I don't feel comfortable if i don't have extra of this and that. I have also taken various other things.... rubber bands, highlighters, glue, electrical ties, etc. and i have used them all at one time or another (my next cruise #7 in May). Our first cruise was the best. after we booked another one 6 mos later. we had an outside cabin and then a balcony and a balcony ever since. That's just us. We also have never ate at a specialty restaurant. Not that i wouldn't want to try. But we usually have good waiters/ess and have enjoyed them. We had the 55.00 a day alcohol pkg and didn't even come close, i'm not a drinker.

Don't worry about everything you will have so much fun!!! Enjoy!

Budget extra money for the specialty restaurants, and then see how you feel when you are on the ship. Everyone has different tastes, so it's hard to say what you will like and dislike. If you enjoy the main dining room experience, (same waiter every night, big room), then you may decide that you don't need to go to the other restaurants. We usually hit a specialty restaurant at least once per cruise for a change of pace, but you may not want that. If you go, be sure to GO HUNGRY!

If you can't fit your suitcase under the bed, talk to your cabin steward and ask for help. They can find storage for it elsewhere on the ship. Just make sure to remind your steward about 2 days before your cruise ends, so they can get it back to you in time to pack!

Be sure to go to the Ice Skating show! My husband only went with me to make me happy and he was as amazed as I was with the show.

You may think going to the formal dining room for breakfast and/or lunch seems silly, but do try to get there for the earlier meals. It's more relaxed than the Windjammer, and you will get great service. And you don't have to dress up! If you want a quick snack, try Cafe Promenade. And they have a bar there too.

Unless you have a suite or a balcony, it's hard to eat a meal in your room. So while all food from room service is free, you may want to save that for an emergency.

Take something to put on your door, so you can find it. A ribbon or a picture of your favorite beach will do. At the end of the day, it's good to have a way to find your place when you are walking down those long halls. Royal Caribbean does a great job of using art work to make those halls more interesting, but it's good to know which door is yours so you don't try to open the wrong one!

On the forward end of deck 11, you can watch what the crew is doing at the Bridge overlook.

I can't think of anything else right now, but be sure to look up things to do in the ports you will be going to elsewhere on Cruise Critic.

Have a great first cruise!

I'm just off the Navigator. .......

I loved Giovanni's Table. $15 for lunch. $25 for dinner. Served family style (except the entree). really quite good. 6 of us went. 6 of us raved. I've not been to Izumi, but it seemed busy. They were giving all sorts of special rates for Sabor, calling on the phone and passing out "coupons". I've read mixed reviews on here but the people that did go were very pleased with the experience when I asked them about it.

PS: you'd think after all my cruises I'd be a better packer, but I'm hopelessly stuck in the Overpackers Anonymous group.

We were on this same sailing with Karen (I am affectionately calling it 'The Trip that almost wasnt' :rolleyes:) and even with all the confusion, delay and everything else (see Galveston oil spill) we loved the Navigator and the employees. But to be honest, we were less than impressed with Giovanni's. The food was okay (some very good, other meh). We were especially disappointed in the Tiramasu. In a large bowl scooped out and plopped on a plate. (can't speak for the taste as I didn't get it). And the server we had there was very unimpressive, to say the least. We actually had to get other employees to help us as we rarely saw him. And we had a line of site to the kitchen.

WITH all that said, Lexus, I think RCI and the Navigator would be an excellent first sailing. I agree with Karen about watching prices. We originally booked a balcony and then saw a wonderful deal on a Junior Suite so it was worth it to upgrade. And even if you don't end up in a suite, there are all sorts of nooks and crannies for putting your stuff away. And don't forget depending on your luggage you can nest them and then even put them under the bed.

Happy sailing. And welcome to your newest addiction.

Erika

Welcome to CC and the wonderful world of cruising!! Caution....its very addicting!!! :D :eek: :D

You didn't mention what type of cabin your have. I suspect that your first cruise you will want to see all of the ship and the ports, so you won't be in your cabin too much.

Be prepared for a tiny bathroom, once you get past that shock....you'll have a great time!!! :)

BTW....what date are you sailing?

Erica that stinks about Giovanni's. Our water was fabulous. We were all laughing so hard w/ him. But I have to say there was a table w/ some officers eating there and one other table with guests. The rest of the restaurant was a ghost town.

PS: the tiramisu looked awful but tasted GREAT. It was the same way they served it on the Mariner last year. OHHHH I wish I had a dish of it right now!

Hi everyone. I’m new to the forum, as well as cruising in general. My boyfriend and I will be on Navigator of the Seas in May, and I’m so excited for my first cruise. I would love some helpful hints/pointers, if you guys don’t mind.

Is the Ultimate Drink Package worth it? Do you get your money’s worth?

Are the specialty restaurants worth the extra money?

I’ve heard horror stories about how small the cabins are. Is there room for your empty luggage? Or, would it be best for duffles that collapse?

And the million dollar question – is it possible to get your cabin upgraded?

Thanks in advance!

I also was on the oil spill cruise on NOS ( I call it "The cruise that almost wasn't then barely was.."). I had my mother and 18 year old son in an interior cabin with me. Plenty of room for our 3 large suitcases under the beds ( had to lift bed up to slide it under). I nested the smaller roll aboard in one of the large bags.

Plenty of room for stuff: a column of small shelves w/ doors (like skinny cabinets ) on each side of the vanity mirror in the room in addition to shelves in the bathroom. Closet was packed with our clothes on hangers and the large shelves inside. Our stateroom attendant provided us with extra hangers. Brought a over the door shoe hanger thing but did not need to use it.

Food in MDR was very good to excellent and I am fussy about food. Windjammer is not my cup of tea--by the time you sit down your food is cold. Eat in the MDR as much as possible and you will enjoy the food. Breakfast and lunch is great, peaceful and relaxing versus the chaos of the WJ.

Had the Royal Replenish package for my son and I. We loved it--lattes, fraps, frozen drinks, pellgrino in mdr for dinner.

Don't focus on the negative reviews, remember that for each complainer there are hundreds to thousands of happy, content and quiet cruisers.

We had a crazy week of ups and downs but were overall pleased. Enjoy your first cruise.

BTW-booked a balcony room for my next cruise which will be a romantic one with my boyfriend. I do agree that is a better option experience-wise if you can afford it. But space wise, the interior is quite adequate

Edited by travelingmomonthego