Is the grandeur of the seas cursed?

Just got off ...sailed the march 28, 2014 trip.... Ship was taken in for renovation, following cruise caught fire... 3 wks ago the seas were so bad that every venue had to be closed (according to crew) and "all you could do was hold on...sailing just before last ship was hit by a rouge wave, and this past week the ship came down with the nori virus! Hundreds were sick..I was personally sick with many stomach issues and high fever. We were quarantined ( which makes sense) and our bland gastro diet was brought to us with red biohazard bag to put out paper plated, trays and plastic forks in! Crazy part is that the virus lasts well over the 24 hrs of the quarrentine and I believe about 200 people "reported" to medical knowing they were going to placed under a am distort lock down...can you imagine how many people didn't report because of that?:eek: crew did an amazing job with the virus...it was much more work for them....sadly corporate isn't so amazing...they compensated me with one day credit to be used on another cruise within a year...really?... Don't think I will ever do another rccl trip. I am a gold member...but corp would not even compensate me for the calls I had to make to cancels work when would be getting back because of being sick. Shame on you rccl corporate! Take a lesson from your amazing crew!

So..is it cursed or is it safe now?

No, it's not cursed.

I was on the sailing with waves, accordinbg to the captain, anywhere from 20-40 ft. waves. I will say that one did have to hold on especially on the upper decks and front of the ship. All venues were not closed and the juggler even managed to go on with his act.

It's been clarified that the other sailing did not hit a rogue wave. Both sailings were at the mercy of the weather.

Noro can happen anywhere and has nothing to do with the ship itself. Someone brought it on.

Originally, we were going to be 4-5 hours late getting in but in the end were only 2 hours late. Guest services handed me the phone twice for a complimentary call to the person who was picking us up at the port.:)

It was hit by a rouge wave. I saw the damage and spoke to the crew. It was very clearly hit by something in order to crack the entire deck . And the jigging track was closed there

Yes. All these things can happen and the crew was amazing. No one handed me a phone and I ended up with a 300.00 cell bill. Corp is not to be commended. They were rude and not helpful once I got off.

My beef is that if I was put into mandatory quarrente (which does help other guests, I get it) then give me a cash credit not something I will never use. It took us 3 years to save for this one. I missed 3 actual days due to the virus. Many people would not report it because they don't want to lose the days of activities. Rccl needs to rethink the policy.

Actually norovirus is VERY contagious and not just on a cruise ship. On the cruise ship you have the help of the CDC tracking these numbers. You also have them making sure it is cleaned up. I haven't heard about resorts or other places in a long time. That is where I got mine and I got nothing. It was a company event and I got nothing

You can follow the CDC here:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

OP, you might want to read this thread. It's 12 pages and the first 7 or so are all speculation about what happened. Start at about page 8 for posts from people who were on the supposed rogue wave cruise.;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2015402

There may have been more damage on a subsequent sailing but the crack actually occured on the sailing I was on.

How would you like Royal Caribbean to change their policy?

Just got off ...sailed the march 28, 2014 trip.... Ship was taken in for renovation, following cruise caught fire... 3 wks ago the seas were so bad that every venue had to be closed (according to crew) and "all you could do was hold on...sailing just before last ship was hit by a rouge wave, and this past week the ship came down with the nori virus! Hundreds were sick..I was personally sick with many stomach issues and high fever. We were quarantined ( which makes sense) and our bland gastro diet was brought to us with red biohazard bag to put out paper plated, trays and plastic forks in! Crazy part is that the virus lasts well over the 24 hrs of the quarrentine and I believe about 200 people "reported" to medical knowing they were going to placed under a am distort lock down...can you imagine how many people didn't report because of that?:eek: crew did an amazing job with the virus...it was much more work for them....sadly corporate isn't so amazing...they compensated me with one day credit to be used on another cruise within a year...really?... Don't think I will ever do another rccl trip. I am a gold member...but corp would not even compensate me for the calls I had to make to cancels work when would be getting back because of being sick. Shame on you rccl corporate! Take a lesson from your amazing crew!

Why do you care if you are not going back anyway?:rolleyes:

300 dollars, wow just how long does it take to say "Sorry I will not be there, I am ill and cannot talk for long, especially as I am away and the phone costs are higher than normal " or better still to send an email with an explanation ?

Yes. All these things can happen and the crew was amazing. No one handed me a phone and I ended up with a 300.00 cell bill. Corp is not to be commended. They were rude and not helpful once I got off.

I was on the ship when the supposedly "rogue" wave hit. I was in the windjammer at the time, watching the bow of the ship going up and down with the waves. I saw the extra large wave right before we hit it. It was not a rogue wave, just larger than the others. And the way the ship hit it, is what caused the damage. It was unavoidable. All the venues were not closed. It was business as usual, and I didn't hear of anyone getting hurt.

Gwen :)

Keep in mind, the area the ship sails through to get from Baltimore to the Caribbean and back - especially off the Carolinas are known to be rough, not always with that magnatude obviously - but its uncommon but not unheard of.

Also, SEVERAL ships have had the noro bug this year - and this is the first time that the Grandeur has had a recorded outbreak since 2006. (From the CDC website).

I will say I have been on the Grandeur twice this winter, and had 2 great cruises. I feel bad for the cruisers who had negitive experiences, but especially with the stomach flu (Aka Norovirus), remember its not the "Ship" its the passengers that bring it on the ship!

Was on the March18th sailing and it was NOT a rogue wave. 300.00 for phone call to say your sick, really???? The ship cursed, would have to say no, now you might be cursed but couldn't say for sure....:rolleyes::):D

It was hit by a rouge wave. I saw the damage and spoke to the crew. It was very clearly hit by something in order to crack the entire deck . And the jigging track was closed there

My beef is that if I was put into mandatory quarrente (which does help other guests, I get it) then give me a cash credit not something I will never use. It took us 3 years to save for this one. I missed 3 actual days due to the virus. Many people would not report it because they don't want to lose the days of activities. Rccl needs to rethink the policy.

It wasn't a "rogue" wave. I was on the 18 March sailing. It was one of a series of high waves that were spaced just far enough apart to cause us to pitch and hit the waves with just the right timing (or wrong depending on how you look at it). The "damage" was a split in a weld spot on an aluminum deck caused by flexing that is still attached to the ship. The ship is perfectly safe and we're going back onboard 1 Nov.

The ship is not "cursed".

You were put into mandatory quarantine so you wouldn't make others sick. Honestly, with the way you felt did you really want to be out walking around? Seriously? Everything I have read about noro says NO! You want to be close to a bathroom and a bed. Why do you expect a credit? When you get sick at home does someone pay you to not go out and infect people or do you do it because 1)you feel like crap and 2) it's the right thing to do? You do know you're more likely to catch noro at work, school, church or in a hospital than on a cruise ship right? You going to demand compensation from one of those locations if you catch it again (which you can)? Wow.

Edited by BND

300 dollars, wow just how long does it take to say "Sorry I will not be there, I am ill and cannot talk for long, especially as I am away and the phone costs are higher than normal " or better still to send an email with an explanation ?

At current rate it would be 37 minutes if you don't get the discount!;)

After 22 years of cruising, we just left the 3/28 Grandeur cruise and without hyperbole, it was our best cruise ever. Loved loved it.

I came down with Noro on the Allure and I don't believe it is cursed. I experienced higher waves and 115 mph on the Explorer and don't see a curse there. I've been overcharged on a few ships and don't blame a curse. The fire? Well things happen; curses, not so much. Sorry you were sick.

...sadly corporate isn't so amazing...they compensated me with one day credit to be used on another cruise within a year...really?... Don't think I will ever do another rccl trip. I am a gold member...but corp would not even compensate me for the calls I had to make to cancels work when would be getting back because of being sick. Shame on you rccl corporate! Take a lesson from your amazing crew!

You know, not every little thing that happens is compensable...it's called life. You got sick -- it happens. Either use the credit and be thankful you got anything at all, or move on and don't use it. You chose to use very expensive satellite calls to communicate -- your choice...you shouldn't expect Royal Caribbean to pay for your calls just because you caught a common virus.

Sorry...I'm just tired of feeling like somebody always has their hand out!

Edited by Cindy

You know, not every little thing that happens is compensable...it's called life. You got sick -- it happens. Either use the credit and be thankful you got anything at all, or move on and don't use it. You chose to use very expensive satellite calls to communicate -- your choice...you shouldn't expect Royal Caribbean to pay for your calls just because you caught a common virus.

Sorry...I'm just tired of feeling like somebody always has their hand out!

Couldn't agree more with this post

this past week the ship came down with the nori virus!

I am a gold member...but corp would not even compensate me for the calls I had to make to cancels work when would be getting back because of being sick. Shame on you rccl corporate! Take a lesson from your amazing crew!

First of all let me say how sorry I am that you were affected by this and hope that you are feeling better. Certainly understand your disappointment with becoming ill while on board.

But you do realize that the ship did not make you ill - it typically is another passenger who boarded the ship already infected with the virus who then began the transmission to other passengers, including yourself. And as you pointed out, the crew is well trained in procedures designed to contain the virus and minimize the transmission to others. Again, it was unfortunate it affected you.

But, IMO, I don't see how it is RCI's responsibility to compensate you for something that was caused by another passenger. They are not at fault. That being said, however, RCI historically has offered various forms of credit and other compensation as gestures of good will when situations like this arise affecting one of their cruises. Frequently this is in part a credit towards a future cruise. And by your own comment they did in fact offer you a similar credit.

But your C & A status has nothing to do with what they would - or should - do regarding you should they decide to offer any form of credit. When they do anything it would be the same with all.

Again, very sorry this affected you, but I think RCI's response was more than fair.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Some of your replies are rude and sarcastic, and you were just giving your opinion of your experience on the ship. I'm sorry to see that. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your post

You should be able to write about the ship without getting slammed. What say "Host"?

Some of your replies are rude and sarcastic, and you were just giving your opinion of your experience on the ship. I'm sorry to see that. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your post

You should be able to write about the ship without getting slammed. What say "Host"?

If you feel the need you have the option to click on the red triangle in the top right corner of a post to alert the board Moderators.

My wife got the noro on the Grandeur in February and was quarantined for one day.

We thought the one day credit was very generous.

Ship happens.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

ARE YOU JOKING!!??

We were on the cruise with you. No one in our large group of friends became ill.

However, we did chuckle in amazement when we overheard passengers talking about seeking compensation.

We are currently booked on 11 more Grandeur cruises.

Edited by beachnative