New Computer and Internet Options

kitty9

Spoke at some length with Richard, the iLounge manager, and he's very excited about some upcoming changes to the Internet on Equinox. He said the plan is to upgrade the system to allow passengers to sign up for Internet packages in their cabin, without having to go to the iLounge. He's also looking forward to faster Internet services. He didn't say when these upgrades will start, but it's more months than years.

I highly recommend attending the iLounge classes, as Richard really knows his stuff on how to get the most of your Apple products. He gave me some really great apps to try, and ideas on how to increase battery life. Those classes are worth your time.

Spoke at some length with Richard, the iLounge manager, and he's very excited about some upcoming changes to the Internet on Equinox. He said the plan is to upgrade the system to allow passengers to sign up for Internet packages in their cabin, without having to go to the iLounge.

That is currently true on the Constellation. I believe ~Cruisenut~ was the first to report this and we experienced in late March on the Connie.

Nice change, sorry you didn't have it on your cruise.

Spoke at some length with Richard, the iLounge manager, and he's very excited about some upcoming changes to the Internet on Equinox. He said the plan is to upgrade the system to allow passengers to sign up for Internet packages in their cabin, without having to go to the iLounge. He's also looking forward to faster Internet services. He didn't say when these upgrades will start, but it's more months than years.

Deleted. Apologies, may have misunderstood the post.

Edited by Project_gal

I highly recommend attending the iLounge classes, as Richard really knows his stuff on how to get the most of your Apple products. He gave me some really great apps to try, and ideas on how to increase battery life. Those classes are worth your time.

Sounds like Richard may be out of a job soon. I was able to do that 4yrs ago on Princess. I never could find an internet cafe' manager on that sailing.

I sign up to a 30 day package and take my own mobile broadband

I have one of those Verizon Jet packs is this what you are referring to ? How do you get a signal in the middle of nowhere ?

I have one of those Verizon Jet packs is this what you are referring to ? How do you get a signal in the middle of nowhere ?

Ask your cell provider for a Cruise Ship Plan. Most X ships (reflection and 1 other I can't recall use a different service) use Cellular at Sea. You can get a voice only, voice and text, or voice text and data plan. I'm on AT&T and use this plan when I cruise.

I do everything OFFLINE and then when we dock, I go ashore and get a signal and do all my sending and receiving then.

Most of the time the longest I have to go without is a day, occasionally a 2 day wait, but I get a better and faster service than the slow onboard connection.

Sounds like Richard may be out of a job soon. I was able to do that 4yrs ago on Princess. I never could find an internet cafe' manager on that sailing.

The iTech guys on Celebrity do a lot more than just sign people up for the internet. They are a great source of information and help, give informative classes/talks. This will give them more time to deal with other requests but I am sure there will still be people that will need help getting signed on lol

There will be a full on upgrade to the entire Internet system, but mostly for the bridge. Captain Michael seemed very excited about the bridge upgrade as it will make the bridge the most modern.

The iLounge staff do much more than sign up computer packages. They put on some very informative classes that are so popular, you can't find a seat.

That is currently true on the Constellation. I believe ~Cruisenut~ was the first to report this and we experienced in late March on the Connie.

Nice change, sorry you didn't have it on your cruise.

I am so looking forward to this on my two upcoming cruises on the Connie. I had already printed out the information that ~Cruisenut~ provided. Will be so much easier than having to go to the iLounge, turn in coupon, and get signed in! :) Thank you Celebrity!

Edited by gimletgal

The iTech guys on Celebrity do a lot more than just sign people up for the internet. They are a great source of information and help, give informative classes/talks. This will give them more time to deal with other requests but I am sure there will still be people that will need help getting signed on lol

Depends on the ship. On my last cruise on the Eclipse the ilounge staff were useless and almost never there. There was a line out the door of people with Kindle's, notebooks, IPads, phones etc. all believing they had to wait for a staff member to set up their internet. The staff was rude when anyone tried to ask a question.

On my second trip down to set up my internet I ended up spending 90 minutes there helping people set theirs up too due to the 2 hour lunch the staff took. I left when one passenger got snotty with me because I had not stopped to help her when SHE wanted me to. The look on her face when I explained I was not a staff member but a passenger who was nice enough to help was priceless. It was even better when she whined "you mean you are not going to help me?" To which I replied "No, once you were rude to me my desire to give up my vacation time evaporated." The other passengers chuckled as I left.

Perhaps that is why the staff was not so helpful: passengers like her.

-----They put on some very informative classes that are so popular, you can't find a seat.

At one time a few years ago, I had to sign up and pay $20 for courses.

I go to at least 3/4 lectures per cruise, so am grateful that they are now free.

At one time a few years ago, I had to sign up and pay $20 for courses.

I go to at least 3/4 lectures per cruise, so am grateful that they are now free.

They still have the forfee lessons in the iLounge but the free lectures were held in the small theatre and in Micheal's Club (our experience) The lessons in the iLounge are more personal.

They still have the forfee lessons in the iLounge but the free lectures were held in the small theatre and in Micheal's Club (our experience) The lessons in the iLounge are more personal.

I didn't see any advertised on Infinity TA last Oct/ Nov; maybe I just missed them.

I am so looking forward to this on my two upcoming cruises on the Connie. I had already printed out the information that ~Cruisenut~ provided. Will be so much easier than having to go to the iLounge, turn in coupon, and get signed in! :) Thank you Celebrity!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2001476