Has Celebrity gone down hill since the new CEO took over?

Fixit2010

What has changed that irritates me is the people who do not know what they are doing. This is especially happening if you have to call or contact Celebrity offices. Trying to phone or sending emails are like falling into a black hole. The people who represent Celebrity need some training in being polite. Many are rude. One lady told me that she was overwhelmed because they are shorthanded. I did not need to hear this after waiting on hold...and she could not help me. Celebrity needs to improve their website. It is not easy to use. Michael Bayley needs to pay attention to feedback. His office contacted me after I sent an email. When I called them at their request, they were clueless. Train your office staff.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Sometimes I think they have farmed out the whole 'contact us' department to a foreign country.

Tom

I am surprised that there is so little mention of the ever-increasing number of Exciting Deals (Tuesday specials).

This week there were 9 pages of them, the most I ever remember seeing.

I think this is fallout from the increasing prices that began in 2013.

I don't think you can judge how well sales are going at the beginning of a deployment. Even if people think the prices are too high, they may book the cabins and wait, hoping that the price will come down. If prices don't come in line with people's spending criteria, then many bookings may be cancelled and we will see a proliferation of Exciting Deals.

They have made the top tier special for their most profitable customers, changing the program to now reward REVENUE generation over "butts in beds".

By design, it's a level that's not intended to be a goal everyone can achieved.

Now that ships sail full, butts in beds isn't the issue, increasing revenue is. The new scheme rightfully makes the top tier out of reach for many. many more cursers, giving them the special services a profitable customer deserves.

There's no longer reason to incentivize people to simply take a bed, they need incentive to spend more on cabins to achieve higher ranking. This also ensure these higher elite ranks don't swell to the point that its difficult to join on the gatherings.

I have to admit, I think its totally ludicrous that I had only 4 cruses and earned Elite Status under the old system. Glad I did, but realized it was way too easy to get there. And I will admit I worked it buying higher categories when they went on final sale to get the extra point, and longer cruise to get the extra point. But 4 cruises should not a higher ranking elite customer make.

I fault NO ONE for being Zenith if they earned it the old way or the new way. The fun they've had along the way...

It's a program designed by the cruise lines to ultimately drive profits under the disguise as a "Loyalty Program" just a marketing gimmick. The way it used to work no longer delivered that directive, it had to change to recognize revenue.

In that one paragraph are two things that stand out for me.

"Cursers" was probably a typo, but much more descriptive that "cruisers". There sure seems to be a lot of "level envy" here.

And "profitable customers" is a much better description of what any business wants and what they try to increase. Loyalty is a marketing term and any rational decision by a business is intended to increase profits. They have to either increase revenue while maintaining margin or increase margin while not decreasing revenue beyond the break-even point. Spending money on a program to attract someone who is less profitable is not good business.

You might want to reconsider Princess, as they go overboard for the suite guests as well. Here are a few of their amenities:

• Priority embarkation and disembarkation at tender ports as well as private lounge at the conclusion of the cruise
  • Priority onboard shore excursion reservations
  • Complimentary laundry and professional cleaning and shoe polishing services
  • Private portrait sitting with onboard photographer
  • Dedicated priority line at the Passenger Services Desk
  • Use of the Lotus Spa Thermal Suite
  • Priority reservations for the Chef's Table, the Ultimate Ship Tour and Princess Cays Bungalow
  • Exclusive Suite Breakfast served in Sabatini's with a complimentary Good Morning Mimosa each morning
  • Exclusive Elite Lounge with complimentary hors d'oeuvres
  • Extended room service menu with full breakfast, lunch and dinner offerings
  • Nightly delivery of deluxe canapes
  • Afternoon Tea service in suite
  • Complimentary cover charge for one of the specialty restaurants on embarkation evening
  • Chef's Welcome Goodies on embarkation day
  • Complimentary flower corsage and boutonniere for your first formal night
  • Enhanced turndown service with six decadent chocolate dipped strawberries or wrapped chocolates presented on a silver tray

Don't see any mention of butler service. No matter what size suite you have on Princess there's no butler service. sorry, but for that kind of $$ there should be.

So I guess this means we wont be seeing ya'll around these here parts no more?

You will miss me if I'm inside the private function area while you scratch your head wondering when a space is open.

Posting hours on private function signs allows mingling of the select people with special people. I have no problem with passengers entering advertised space at some time during the cruise day.

Penny

You will miss me if I'm inside the private function area while you scratch your head wondering when a space is open.

Posting hours on private function signs allows mingling of the select people with special people. I have no problem with passengers entering advertised space at some time during the cruise day.

Penny

OK, I thought your post ment you were looking to book elsewhere cause you could not enter an area others had reserved for a private function. Like the 100+ uninvited that crashed the Celebrity event in Dallas last month.

There are way to many other place to go and things to do on a ship to stand at a door saying, open, open, open, like the people on the Kohls ad do. Just means the line at the buffet will be one less person in front of us. Thanks

Edited by wallie5446

OK, I thought your post ment you were looking to book elsewhere cause you could not enter an area others had reserved for a private function. Like the 100+ uninvited that crashed the Celebrity event in Dallas last month.

There are way to many other place to go and things to do on a ship to stand at a door saying, open, open, open, like the people on the Kohls ad do. Just means the line at the buffet will be one less person in front of us. Thanks

It there would have been a 10 dollar charge how many would have showed up. it was something for nothing and gave people a chance to feel important.

I have been cruising X since 1997. I have to admit of my first 45 cruises 42 were aboard RCL and I was very happy until April 2008 when RCL made numerous changes to their loyalty program. After RCL's changes I switched to X almost full time and now have 56 RCL and 37 X cruises. As far as stockholders go I have owned RCL stock for 18yrs and at one point after 9/11 I owned or controlled thru options between 35000 and 40000 shares, so I have monitored the RCL business plan very closely on both lines. As far as X going down hill I would say there has been a significant decline in X over the last 6 months ( 6 cruises )! I plan to take between 75 to 100 cruises over the next 5 yrs.. Instead of 80% X it will now be 80% RCL. The old saying is "If your not happy let your feet do the walking" and mine will! Most of the problems with X are not the Hard Working crew members who do everything possible to please but the Supervisors and X Headquarters Policy Makers!

Edited by wardog10839

I have been cruising X since 1997. I have to admit of my first 45 cruises 42 were aboard RCL and I was very happy until April 2008 when RCL made numerous changes to their loyalty program. After RCL's changes I switched to X almost full time and now have 56 RCL and 37 X cruises. As far as stockholders go I have owned RCL stock for 18yrs and at one point after 9/11 I owned or controlled thru options between 35000 and 40000 shares, so I have monitored the RCL business plan very closely on both lines. As far as X going down hill I would say there has been a significant decline in X over the last 6 months ( 6 cruises )! I plan to take between 75 to 100 cruises over the next 5 yrs.. Instead of 80% X it will now be 80% RCL. The old saying is "If your not happy let your feet do the walking" and mine will! Most of the problems with X are not the Hard Working crew members who do everything possible to please but the Supervisors and X Headquarters Policy Makers!

I AGREE. The SHIPS ARE VERY UNDERMANNED NOW AND THE POOR STAFF is over worked. Asst waiters taking bar orders and getting the food from the galley is unsatisfactory. Only 2 activity staff... ridiculous!!!!

When you expect to enter the buffet or a lounge or a pool area such as the Solarium, and you see a Private Function sign that means no entry to YOU; wouldn't you want to know when the venue is available to YOU? A sign showing the block of time for the Private Function is a small matter. Why not post the time on the sign, at guest relations, or in the dailies?

Penny

When you expect to enter the buffet or a lounge or a pool area such as the Solarium, and you see a Private Function sign that means no entry to YOU; wouldn't you want to know when the venue is available to YOU? A sign showing the block of time for the Private Function is a small matter. Why not post the time on the sign, at guest relations, or in the dailies?

Penny

IMHO, it is wonderful that the cruise lines are coming of age and marketing their ships to family's for reunions, weddings, birthday events and the such. And Corporations for their meetings just like any big Hotel does. The Red Hat Ladies and Pink Boa groups are sailing together in larger numbers every year.

So no, it does not hurt my feelings in the least that an area will be used for a 'private function' for a few hours.

Again, there are too many other places to go and experience for us to get huffy over not being able to walk thru some place for a few hours.

The flip side;

We had our Connections get together on the Reflection last yr at the Sunset Bar, 40-60 of us went. A couple not with the CC group got up and left, saying we should have put up a sign that there was going to be a private function going on.

They just cant please everyone, all the time.

Thumbs up on your post...................I wonder if Mr. Bayley had EVER read (himself and not his alter ego) a single post on CC? The politics in the Celebrity organization must be truly challenging to those who have to live with it in that company...................good luck to you all there in the company

Celebrity hasn't gone downhill. It has gone sideways. Bayley's background is finance, not customer service; thus, a little more focus on the stockholder and a little less on the consumer.

IMHO, it is wonderful that the cruise lines are coming of age and marketing their ships to family's for reunions, weddings, birthday events and the such. And Corporations for their meetings just like any big Hotel does. The Red Hat Ladies and Pink Boa groups are sailing together in larger numbers every year.

So no, it does not hurt my feelings in the least that an area will be used for a 'private function' for a few hours.

Again, there are too many other places to go and experience for us to get huffy over not being able to walk thru some place for a few hours.

The flip side;

We had our Connections get together on the Reflection last yr at the Sunset Bar, 40-60 of us went. A couple not with the CC group got up and left, saying we should have put up a sign that there was going to be a private function going on.

They just cant please everyone, all the time.

+1

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

When you expect to enter the buffet or a lounge or a pool area such as the Solarium, and you see a Private Function sign that means no entry to YOU; wouldn't you want to know when the venue is available to YOU? A sign showing the block of time for the Private Function is a small matter. Why not post the time on the sign, at guest relations, or in the dailies? Penny

As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. Never saw any such "Private Function" signs, nor any of these types of issues. No big "problems" for us as noted or feared by others in other threads. All worked out well for us. Did we see things to improve, fine-tune, etc.? Sure. But, overall things worked well for us and the six other couples in our travel group from Central Ohio. Had done Solstice in June 2011 in the Med fro Barcelona. One of the couples traveling with us has done many more Celebrity/RCI cruises. Nothing that major or negative to their eyes or senses. Check out these postings for more info/background on this nice ship, its entertainment, food options, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 51,624 views for this fun posting.

Thumbs up on your post...................I wonder if Mr. Bayley had EVER read (himself and not his alter ego) a single post on CC? The politics in the Celebrity organization must be truly challenging to those who have to live with it in that company...................good luck to you all there in the company

I think he has. He has responded to a couple of topics on my fb page. I believe that he is genuinely concerned with this topic and I'm sure that he is kept informed about this thread.

Just as I don't like all the threads and comments about Celebrity, I keep looking, bite my tongue a lot and my eyes do a lot of rolling. It is impossible to please everyone and until there are a lot of empty cabins on many sailings, the direction of the company will not change.

And for those people who quote stock prices... how do you separate Royal earnings from Celebrity? If the stock continues to do well, is RCI or X going in the right direction?

I think he has. He has responded to a couple of topics on my fb page. I believe that he is genuinely concerned with this topic and I'm sure that he is kept informed about this thread.

Just as I don't like all the threads and comments about Celebrity, I keep looking, bite my tongue a lot and my eyes do a lot of rolling. It is impossible to please everyone and until there are a lot of empty cabins on many sailings, the direction of the company will not change.

And for those people who quote stock prices... how do you separate Royal earnings from Celebrity? If the stock continues to do well, is RCI or X going in the right direction?

Bingo!

Bingo!

2nd Bingo!

ps: the wifester said I need to bite my tongue more too!:D

Dear Celebrity:

If you satisfy most people most of the time and fill the ship,

why not make small adjustments to satisfy more people

for a full ship at higher prices?

Small tweaks = more profit

Major change = what for Celebrity?

Makes me wonder about the passenger profile.

Is Celebrity looking for higher incomes, younger passengers, maintenance of the loyals?

The direction isn't clear.

Penny

Edited by PinotBlanc

Dear Celebrity:

If you satisfy most people most of the time and fill the ship,

why not make small adjustments to satisfy more people

for a full ship at higher prices?

Small tweaks = more profit

Major change = what for Celebrity?

Makes me wonder about the passenger profile.

Is Celebrity looking for higher incomes, younger passengers, maintenance of the loyals?

The direction isn't clear.

Penny

Small tweaks include the new suite perks program, the specialty dining restaurants for enhanced dining experiences, the Michaels club concierge trying to entice the higher spenders in suites to spend more, the revamped loyalty program that is clearly intended to reward spending rather than nights a butt is in a bed.

With generally already full ships, there is not much need to enhance the standard cruise experience. There is need to build revenue within those already booking the ships.

Small tweaks include the new suite perks program, the specialty dining restaurants for enhanced dining experiences, the Michaels club concierge trying to entice the higher spenders in suites to spend more, the revamped loyalty program that is clearly intended to reward spending rather than nights a butt is in a bed.

With generally already full ships, there is not much need to enhance the standard cruise experience. There is need to build revenue within those already booking the ships.

Thanks for the post. Now, I get it.

Celebrity doesn't need to waste time giving information re venues closed for Private Functions because it doesn't affect profits.

Thanks for the post. Now, I get it.

Celebrity doesn't need to waste time giving information re venues closed for Private Functions because it doesn't affect profits.

Sorry I don't get it! Before you board you have it all figured out which venues you want to attend at a certain time of the day:confused: And you need a notice as to what time you can attend the above mentioned venue. So your whole cruise experience is ruined if you can't get into one venue at the time you had planned. Really, it is a very big ship and you do not have to plan your day on a daytimer.