Does anyone miss the Brunch?

miched

Just sailed on the Eclipse and there was no Brunch. Was told that it has been eliminated.

Don't really miss it as I never went to it but I am sure some do.

They also are changing the activites, so they eliminated a few activity directors. Don't know what they are changing but was told that they needed to refresh some things as passengers are getting too familiar with the answers to the games and "stealing" all of the prizes. Don't know why changing the activities eliminates some directors.

🚢

Just sailed on the Eclipse and there was no Brunch. Was told that it has been eliminated.

Don't really miss it as I never went to it but I am sure some do.

They also are changing the activites, so they eliminated a few activity directors. Don't know what they are changing but was told that they needed to refresh some things as passengers are getting too familiar with the answers to the games and "stealing" all of the prizes. Don't know why changing the activities eliminates some directors.

No.

We returned from the Summit on March 29. There wasn't a brunch, didn't miss it and didn't intend to go if there was one. We loved it in the first few years they had the brunch. In the last few years, it became more and more of a zoo, and if you weren't there as soon as it opened, it quickly became quite unappealing.

Good question and easy answer for me. NO!

I missed the brunch as much as I missed the acapella group on our last 10 day Equinox voyage. Nothing to do with cost cutting I think people just got bored with both.

Shameless plug next: (my Equinox Photo Trip Report)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2017737

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Long thread about the brunch going away; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2016614&highlight=brunch

and the staff cut backs; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2019773&highlight=brunch

On our Reflection sailing our waiter did not tell us about the brunch so we went to bingo and missed it.:D

I for one, will miss the Gala Brunch -- but then, I still miss the Midnight Buffet. I could see the cruise line's reason for eliminating that one -- people just couldn't eat that much food, so late at night. Don't see how that really applies to the Brunch. There were tons of people lined up when the doors opened. And, if you decided to skip the crowds and go later, things were picked over, and some items were gone.

One of the things we enjoyed about the Gala Brunch (and Midnight Buffet) were all the beautiful ice sculptures, fruit carvings, and other "food as art" displays. It was a way for the artisans in the galley to showcase their talents. On our first galley tour of Solstice, several years ago, we were treated to a demonstration by the fruit carvers -- who were working on their displays for the next day's Gala Brunch.

So, for me anyway, this is just one more elegant little touch that has gone "poof". But, I have no doubt that Mr. Bayley will soon find some up-charge, for-fee venue or activity to replace it. :(

I went once, it was beautiful. However to crowded and people were rude, killing them selves to get to the food, like they are going to run out...

I wont miss is. It was nice once but then lost its charm for me.

Norma

My sentiments exactly. It was nice the first time but after that it was a free for all as if it was the last meal on the Titanic. After a woman yelled at me because I "ruined" the picture she planned of some cream puff swan I decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

I went once, it was beautiful. However to crowded and people were rude, killing them selves to get to the food, like they are going to run out...

I wont miss is. It was nice once but then lost its charm for me.

Norma

Same here. While nice, it was way too chaotic to enjoy. We went, looked around, couldn't find a table after 20 minutes, even with the help of staff, and ended up leaving.

So, for me anyway, this is just one more elegant little touch that has gone "poof". But, I have no doubt that Mr. Bayley will soon find some up-charge, for-fee venue or activity to replace it. :(

I wouldn't call masses of people swarming around looking for food and tables "elegant". More like the frenzy of a Black Friday sale at the mall.

Edited by boogs

After a woman yelled at me because I "ruined" the picture she planned of some cream puff swan I decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

My only criticism of the Brunch was that they didn't have a special "photo-op", before opening the doors to diners. All of the Midnight Buffets we went to had a special line just to take pictures, right before the buffet opened. I'm so glad that we always stayed up long enough to at least go take pictures of the beautiful displays and ice carvings. :cool:

IMO, the brunch was only "Gala" if you arrived there during the first 30 minutes. After that it looked like the "locust had devoured everything in site" and what was left was nothing we'd want to eat. On our last two cruises prior to our March 30 Silhouette sailing (when it was discontinued), we walked in and out within 2 minutes time.

I'm sure that was one of the reasons, they decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I will miss it but I already have an alternate plan. We will head to Cafe al Bacio to fetch pastries and a liqueur and bring them back to the room. We will then go to the Oceanview and get a couple of plates of cold items - bring them back to the room. We will make another trip for a couple plates of hot items. We'll have several bottles of beer and cider we have collected throughout the week along with the bottle of celebrity bubbly. Voila - Private Balcony Brunch Buffet!

no, we don't miss the brunch. The mdr was much like a circus ring filled with people picking through leftovers from the oceanview buffet.

We prefer a dining room open for lunch with menu and waiters.

Penny

+ 1

I believe that this elimination of the Brunch was planned quite some time ago, that's why it was never mentioned much and mostly you heard it from your waiters.

J.

From the time the brunch was implemented, it was never widely publicized. It was not featured prominently anywhere on the Celebrity Today; it was included in the small print amid the list of restaurant times. Theoretically you would hear about the Gala Brunch on the evening before, from your waiter, but I doubt if I heard about it more than 50% of the time. The waiters were so busy, particularly if you were at the early seating and they were managing changeover to late dining while you were finishing up.

I think the low key publicity was intended to keep the crowds down, as the dining room would have been even more crowded than it was, if everyone on the ship tried to attend the brunch.

I liked the brunch, and will miss some of the very nice selections that were available, and really did enjoy all the efforts that the staff put forward with the presentation. Perhaps having two sittings for the brunch might have handled some of the issues. Finding a clean table, and receiving beverages was difficult if you were in any but the first group to arrive. But I have to say, I never observed any of the poor manners that people speak about here, beyond what seems to be unavoidable at almost any buffet, certainly no more so than at the Oceanview buffet.

I think Celebrity may have been trying the waters for some time, when it comes to the elimination of the Gala Brunch. We did not have one on the Solstice Wine Cruise in September 2014, and there was no good reason for its absence on that cruise. The answer I was given, when I asked, was that there "was no time on this itinerary". The maître d' looked a little embarrassed when he gave me that reply.

I miss it! It was a fun event, never crowded when we went, with good food. We aren't interested in many of the sea day activities, so it was a nice way to pass the time. One of the features that distinguished Celebrity from the competitors. Very sad that it's gone.

It must have been popular since they never widely publicized it. You always had to look closely at Celebrity Today to find the listing.