Does anybody know?

wordsearch

No. But you are eligible for any Past Guest fares that Princess offers.

Same is tru for any of the cruiselines under the Carnival Corp umbrella. Also you will get OBC for owning 100 shares of stock.

Has anyone been successful in providing other proof of citizenship documents other than birth certificate or passport. We are booked on a closed loop cruise and we can't find my husband's new birth certificate. :confused::o

Carnival Cruise Line does not own Princess. Both of these lines and others are owned by Carnival Corporation. Each has their own repeat guest program. Neither recognizes cruises on the other except for offering the past passenger rate if available,

Has anyone been successful in providing other proof of citizenship documents other than birth certificate or passport. We are booked on a closed loop cruise and we can't find my husband's new birth certificate. :confused::o

I would have your husband practice his wave. That way he can wave good bye as you sail away......

Carnival Cruise Line does not own Princess. Both of these lines and others are owned by Carnival Corporation. Each has their own repeat guest program. Neither recognizes cruises on the other except for offering the past passenger rate if available,

Per the correct information above .... Carnival Corporation owns many cruise lines. All brands operate independently.

LuLu

~~~

I would have your husband practice his wave. That way he can wave good bye as you sail away......

1025Cruise do you work for customs or the cruise line? I find your reply very offensive. At least A $1000 is at stake. This is not a funny matter, we have his old birth certificate from Puerto Rico and we have sent for another new one that should arrive tomorrow. I just wanted to know what the worst case scenario was. How can I get a professional answer to this question. For anyone out there that has experienced this, please reply. Thank you.

1025Cruise do you work for customs or the cruise line? I find your reply very offensive. At least A $1000 is at stake. This is not a funny matter, we have his old birth certificate from Puerto Rico and we have sent for another new one that should arrive tomorrow. I just wanted to know what the worst case scenario was. How can I get a professional answer to this question. For anyone out there that has experienced this, please reply. Thank you.

the worse case scenario is EXACTLY the one that was quoted: he will NOT be allowed to board.

if he does not have the correct documentation that's it. the TSA website tells you what he needs to provide in lieu of a passport, passport card or certified copy of BC.

It's a good thing you're getting a new BC from Puerto Rico. BCs from PR issued before July 2010 are no longer valid. Had to get a new one anyways.

https://www.aclu.org/immigrants-rights/puerto-rican-birth-certificates-issued-july-1-2010-declared-void

Edited by SadieN

It's a good thing you're getting a new BC from Puerto Rico. BCs from PR issued before July 2010 are no longer valid. Had to get a new one anyways.

https://www.aclu.org/immigrants-rights/puerto-rican-birth-certificates-issued-july-1-2010-declared-void

I spoke to a rep from that section at RCL and explained the problem and he did not know of anyone being turned away because they had the old bc from Puerto Rico. He advised me to bring as much documentation as possible. This is if we don't get the new bc in time. I will also be calling the USCIS office to verify. It's a 4 hr trip to the port and we are not traveling alone. We did buy insurance and hopefully they will let us reschedule if everything falls through. I was trying to target anyone out there that had any unusual problems when checking in. To add insult to injury we have relatives in Puerto Rico that were willing to pick up a copy and send it to us overnight, but the offices are closed for training. Well if it's not meant to be it's not mean't to be.

May I suggest that you might consider starting a new thread with this question? It would provide you with a much broader audience of readers and give you the opportunity to receive more helpful answers.

I hope everything works out well for you.

My apologies if you didn't like my response, but if you don't have a passport, or other method to prove your citizenship, you will be denied boarding. This is one thing that is not messed around with.

That's what I'm getting at. You say or other method to prove citizenship. Rules are rules and I'm not trying to rewrite law, but there are other ways to prove citizenship than birth certificates. Being born in Puerto Rico automatically makes us US citizens. When my husband & I signed up for the Army we had to be US citizens. You cannot enroll in the VA without being a US citizen with exception to special foreign agreements made with the US government. My husband and I are both retired government employees. When we were hired we had to be US citizens and had to have back ground checks done. You and I know that there are exceptions for everything and I find it hard to believe that the millions of people that cruise and especially with several children and family in tow there hasn't been an instant that people were not allowed to sail even though all their documents where not exactly in order. We did not book this cruise hoping for a break. We had all BC's ordered several years ago, but when I pulled them out of our safe my husband's was not there. We don't remember why we would have taken it out. Anyway thank you for letting me rant. You can be sure that after we get through this cruise or no cruise we are getting passports.

May I suggest that you might consider starting a new thread with this question? It would provide you with a much broader audience of readers and give you the opportunity to receive more helpful answers.

I hope everything works out well for you.

Thank you. I'm new to this and not sure how to start a new thread. I thought I was doing right. It's not the end of the world. There are other cruises out there. I was very much looking forward to this one though. lol.

Thank you. I'm new to this and not sure how to start a new thread. I thought I was doing right. It's not the end of the world. There are other cruises out there. I was very much looking forward to this one though. lol.

Look for the gray button that says New Thread in this same section called Ask A Cruise Question. Click on it to start your own thread and then post your question. There may be people here on Cruise Critic that have had a similar situation and can offer suggestions. Most people here are very helpful. Good luck!

Edited by JimAOk1945

When my husband & I signed up for the Army we had to be US citizens. You cannot enroll in the VA without being a US citizen with exception to special foreign agreements made with the US government.

This is simply not true. You do not have to be a US citizen to join the military. You have to be a legal resident, however. My brother was an officer in the Army and didn't get his citizenship until after he left service. I believe serving in the military does guarantee you citizenship (if you apply) but again you must be legal to start with.

I might have some of the details wrong because I'm going from memory. There was a case a few years ago where a guy was a legal resident but not a citizen. He died in service and they were going to deport his wife because she no longer had a sponsor. I think he also had a US born child as well. Eventually they let her stay due to his military service.

I spoke to a rep from that section at RCL and explained the problem and he did not know of anyone being turned away because they had the old bc from Puerto Rico. He advised me to bring as much documentation as possible. This is if we don't get the new bc in time. I will also be calling the USCIS office to verify. It's a 4 hr trip to the port and we are not traveling alone. We did buy insurance and hopefully they will let us reschedule if everything falls through. I was trying to target anyone out there that had any unusual problems when checking in. To add insult to injury we have relatives in Puerto Rico that were willing to pick up a copy and send it to us overnight, but the offices are closed for training. Well if it's not meant to be it's not mean't to be.

On questions regarding documentation required to board, I would go by official passport/immigration types of sites that the government runs, rather than by someone answering the phone at the cruise line. They have been often wrong about even their own cruise ships...and just telling the clerk at the port terminal that someone at Royal told you this, doesn't mean the clerk can go by that.

the worse case scenario is EXACTLY the one that was quoted: he will NOT be allowed to board.

if he does not have the correct documentation that's it. the TSA website tells you what he needs to provide in lieu of a passport, passport card or certified copy of BC.

A great many cruises departing from Miami or Port Everglades go out with one or more guests denied boarding because they did not have the proper travel documents.

You can rationalize and explain and describe every which way there is but if he does not have passport or approved Birth Certificate, he will not be permitted to board. The check in people do not care about your explanation he had to be a U.S. citizen to join the military or any other 'excuse'. He must have the proper travel documents.

If you read threads on these forums you will see time and again many of us do not depend upon info provided by many telephone cruise line reps. They are often poorly trained and short on experience. There are many cruisers who know far more about the various cruise lines than the paid reps...... sad to say.

I sincerely wish you good luck and hope his Birth Certificate arrives in time.

Please let us know.

Edited by sail7seas

You may wish to verify if your insurance will pay for not being permitted to board because of failure to provide proper travel documents. Most do not pay for such a lapse.

This is simply not true. You do not have to be a US citizen to join the military. You have to be a legal resident, however. My brother was an officer in the Army and didn't get his citizenship until after he left service. I believe serving in the military does guarantee you citizenship (if you apply) but again you must be legal to start with.

I might have some of the details wrong because I'm going from memory. There was a case a few years ago where a guy was a legal resident but not a citizen. He died in service and they were going to deport his wife because she no longer had a sponsor. I think he also had a US born child as well. Eventually they let her stay due to his military service.

I stand corrected. My apologies. But here is a piece regarding this subject.

Question: Can a non-U.S. Citizen join the United States Military?

Answer: Yes. A non-citizen can enlist in the military. However, federal law prohibits non-citizens from becoming commission or warrant officers.

In order for a non-citizen to enlist in the military, he/she must first be a legal immigrant (with a green card), permanently residing in the United States. It's important to note that the military cannot and will not assist in the immigration process. One must immigrate first, using normal immigration quotas and procedures, and -- once they've established an address in the United States -- they can find a recruiter's office and apply for enlistment. Thank you for your response.

On questions regarding documentation required to board' date=' I would go by official passport/immigration types of sites that the government runs, rather than by someone answering the phone at the cruise line. They have been often wrong about even their own cruise ships...and just telling the clerk at the port terminal that someone at Royal told you this, doesn't mean the clerk can go by that.[/quote']

Yes. I'm aware of this. That's why I called the USCIS office. I still have tomorrow to receive the BC in the mail. After that we have to make a hard decision. Thank you for your reply.

I stand corrected. My apologies. But here is a piece regarding this subject.

Question: Can a non-U.S. Citizen join the United States Military?

Answer: Yes. A non-citizen can enlist in the military. However, federal law prohibits non-citizens from becoming commission or warrant officers.

In order for a non-citizen to enlist in the military, he/she must first be a legal immigrant (with a green card), permanently residing in the United States. It's important to note that the military cannot and will not assist in the immigration process. One must immigrate first, using normal immigration quotas and procedures, and -- once they've established an address in the United States -- they can find a recruiter's office and apply for enlistment. Thank you for your response.

Maybe the law has changed because my brother was a warrant officer. Maybe it was his qualifications as a pilot that they made an exception. Don't know but this was back in the late 70's.

Edited by notentirelynormal