typed in mariner number and price increased

freedom50

We have booked and made final payment on a New England/Canada cruise on Maasdam the end of May. I wanted to check for a couple of things including pricing so I logged on the HAL website under plan your cruise option. I forgot to type in mariner number and found that the price had dropped over $200.00 per person for a cabin on the same deck a couple doors away from us. I called my husband to come and look but the session had expired and I logged in this time using mariner number. To my surprise the deck cabin(s) that I had originally looked was not available. However the one next door was available and had increased by $1200.00 per person. Did I miss something here? Are we being penalized for being mariners? Anyone else experienced this? I called HAL they would not speak to me about it, transferred me to my cruise consultant. Of course they were not open today (Sunday). I left a message outlining my concerns. What would you say when they return this call, am I making something out of nothing? Any comments or suggestions will be welcomed.

We've experienced something similar. The pricing for my Mariner number (4*) was higher than that for my neighbor (1*), with whom I was traveling. Our TA had to 'work' with HAL (ok, argue) to get the lower pricing for both of us. I was glad that we use a TA who has clout with HAL (a member of their Centurion Club, top 100 producers) to go to bat for us. Good luck.

One factor in your case may be though is that you are after final payment. It isn't unusual for cruise lines to drop prices to fill cabins. Entering your Mariner number identifies that you are already booked, not a new passenger. You 'may' be able to get some OBC or an upgrade. You may not get either. All you can do is ask.

Edited by Mary Ellen

You've stumbled across one of the great mysteries of Holland America, Mariner Society pricing, and just using the HAL website in general. Over the years all sorts of differences and inconsistencies have cropped up. I don't know, and it has been discussed here several times, if we've ever come up with the answers. As to what your PCC will say or not say, no telling.

Unfortunately, it is a quite common occurrence. You can always check as a mariner and also check as a new passenger (just make sure you clear all your cookies and cache). I check the prices using a VPN and get different prices. To add to the confusion, I am "fortunate" enough to have 2 customer id numbers and receive different offers all the time.

There are lots of previous threads on this topic. I think it's the result of a pricing algorithm where every cabin on every ship can have a different price.

We've experienced something similar. The pricing for my Mariner number (4*) was higher than that for my neighbor (1*), with whom I was traveling. Our TA had to 'work' with HAL (ok, argue) to get the lower pricing for both of us. I was glad that we use a TA who has clout with HAL (a member of their Centurion Club, top 100 producers) to go to bat for us. Good luck.

One factor in your case may be though is that you are after final payment. It isn't unusual for cruise lines to drop prices to fill cabins. Entering your Mariner number identifies that you are already booked, not a new passenger. You 'may' be able to get some OBC or an upgrade. You may not get either. All you can do is ask.

Thank heavens for TAs with clout! The price of my cabin type on an upcoming HAL cruise dropped several hundred dollars after final payment, significant, since I travel solo with a hefty supplement. My TA "negotiated" a nice upgrade.

I was pleased to recieve a call from HAL just a short while ago. I repeated my question as to the reason why the price increased when I used my mariner number for the same cabin in the same area on the same deck. The very pleasant represenative replied because I used my number they knew I was already booked. Not quite the explanation I was looking for. I am still somewhat confused with this response. However he did without being asked offer us an upgrade or the choice of a modest onboard credit. I was pleasantly surprised with the offer and opted for the credit which will help out with the daily cabin service fee. However going forward I will be researching and keeping a closer eye on pricing using my mariner number and without.

The rep. also mentioned that they still had many unsold cabins available on this cruise and were dropping the prices to fill up the ship.

I have also seen it happen a couple of times when I was just checking on a couple of things and didn't bother to put in my Mariner number.

Strange policies with HAL.

I have to agree with KK. Hal does have some strange policies when a non Mariner gets a better deal then when you have cruised many times with Hal.:confused:

I have to agree with KK. Hal does have some strange policies when a non Mariner gets a better deal then when you have cruised many times with Hal.:confused:

Melodie, I have a made up name and ID number that in a few cases, gets a lower price than when I plug in my Mariner number, or leave that portion blank.

On one mailing, a free hotel room was offered for new bookings only. That promotion was never advertised on HAL's website, or on any other email that I received from them.

On another note, will you be joining us on the Noordam in Alaska? Many of the old gang have signed up.

While it does sound strange, remember that HAL on average makes more money on first time cruisers than it does from its "regulars". How many of you 3-4-5 Star cruisers buy the photos, take multiple ship excursions, buy the HAL trinkets, etc. like first timers do?

DaveOKC

"Special offers on select sailings," is the way the Mariner benefits description reads. Did you take special to mean lower prices?

I don't see how HAL can make this claim honestly: "the most generous rewards program at sea." http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action

We have booked and made final payment on a New England/Canada cruise on Maasdam the end of May. I wanted to check for a couple of things including pricing so I logged on the HAL website under plan your cruise option. I forgot to type in mariner number and found that the price had dropped over $200.00 per person for a cabin on the same deck a couple doors away from us. I called my husband to come and look but the session had expired and I logged in this time using mariner number. To my surprise the deck cabin(s) that I had originally looked was not available. However the one next door was available and had increased by $1200.00 per person. Did I miss something here? Are we being penalized for being mariners? Anyone else experienced this? I called HAL they would not speak to me about it, transferred me to my cruise consultant. Of course they were not open today (Sunday). I left a message outlining my concerns. What would you say when they return this call, am I making something out of nothing? Any comments or suggestions will be welcomed.

Deleted

Edited by serendipity1499

It does happen, although not all the time. I agree that it's strange to upcharge your loyal customers, but they definitely do that on some of their sailings. The good news is that once the practice becomes known, it will probably fade away.

We have seen this on several occasions and can only conclude that HAL likes to reward its best customers with higher prices and fewer upgrades. There is no other explanation. But our solution is very simple. We never book directly with HAL since we can always get better overall deals with our preferred cruise agencies. On longer HAL cruises our savings can run into the thousands of dollars. I smile when I read how some folks love dealing with their PCCs....and I think, I wonder if that PCC is worth over $3000 for a single booking (what we saved on one Grand Cruise by not booking through HAL).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I believe you are. When I've logged in from another computer, without my Mariner's #, I get a lower price. A higher price with my Mariner #. My TA tells me it's because HAL is trying to attract new clients.

It's very maddening and not fair, IMO. Should be the other way around...Mariners should be rewarded for their loyalty.

Very strange that HAL call their Mariner program a loyalty program yet penalize cruisers for their loyalty.

Sooooo.... Book your cruise as a nubie, and dont enter your mariner number UNTIL you check in at the pier.....

Sounds like a great loyalty program.....for HAL.

I wonder if they disclose this benefit in their Mariner Loyalty Program description?

Like others, just one more reason never to book directly.

Edited by iancal

I received a promotional email for a lower price on my cruise a few months ago, but the price went up when I put in my mariner number as well. I called HAL and they explained the issue. (I accidentally had three mariner numbers.) They told me to call my TA, and also which mariner number to rebook under . I was able to get the new lower price for all four cabins that were booked for our group. They even gave me the lowest price in the category, even though our cabins were not the lowest priced cabins. The group was all new or nearly new cruisers, so not sure if that made a difference in getting the reduction, rather than OBC.

I believe you are. When I've logged in from another computer, without my Mariner's #, I get a lower price. A higher price with my Mariner #. My TA tells me it's because HAL is trying to attract new clients.

It's very maddening and not fair, IMO. Should be the other way around...Mariners should be rewarded for their loyalty.

After reading these posts, I decided to experiment. I searched on the HAL website without using my Mariner's number for a previously booked, but not yet paid, cruise. Much to my stupefaction, a red banner appeared onscreen announcing FREE cabin upgrades from obstructed OV to Veranda!! Immediately, I called my TA, who was as astounded as I, and she began working the phones.

Call #1: Using my Mariner #, she was told that no such thing existed.

Call #2: Omitting my Mariner #, she was told that it only applied to new dual occupancy bookings, and, since I travel solo, I did not qualify. HELLO! I pay double anyway.

Call #3: Once more using my Mariner#, she secured the advertised free upgrade for me from obstructed OV to Veranda.

Go figure.

Unfortunately, HAL preys on the naivety of past pax when they prompt on their ethics society logo-covered website:

- You may qualify for special pricing. Please login or register.

- Best Available Pricing (optional below, for our Mariner Society members)

While they're not technically lying, one should never assume anything. It seems 'special' often means more and 'Best Available Pricing' means best available only for Mariner Society members - nonmembers can get it for less.