Evolution......Formal Nights

dingy

This is just a theory so, feel free to blow it out of the water. The recent announcement of SUITE DINING ROOMS may be ....to some extent ......a response to what is happening on FORMAL NIGHTS in the MDR. I believe that Celebrity is starting to hear complaints from the higher end, of their customer base.

We took a cruise many years ago on the QE II in its maiden year. The men wore sports jackets and suits on non formal nights and tuxes or dark suits on formal nights. Just finished a cruise on the Reflection and the formal nights dress requirements in the MDR were just ignored by many. Matter of fact, there were people in the MDR on formal nights that weren't even dressed to satisfy the generally understood "smart casual" guidelines.

Things have certainly changed. Jeans are worn to the fanciest of Manhattan restaurants. Everyone is dressing down. I have 2 sons who live in NYC. Their idea of "dressing up" is dumping the t-shirt and putting on a nicer shirt over their jeans. I'm not trying to push a bolder up hill. I understand the trend and that's just the way it is.

However, I do think that something needs to be done with formal nights on these cruises. Maybe SUITE DINING is part of it. Maybe not. But, when you see slobs walk into the MDR on formal nights, you either need to kick them out or just do away with formal nights and forget about dress codes. Many things have cycles. How we dress will always be evolving. The next generation may be like the last generation ...and want to get dressed up. But for now, I guess I will be dining in my tux sitting next to a guy wearing his "GO Huskers" Nebraska University t-shirt.

This is just a theory so, feel free to blow it out of the water. The recent announcement of SUITE DINING ROOMS may be ....to some extent ......a response to what is happening on FORMAL NIGHTS in the MDR. I believe that Celebrity is starting to hear complaints from the higher end, of their customer base.

We took a cruise many years ago on the QE II in its maiden year. The men wore sports jackets and suits on non formal nights and tuxes or dark suits on formal nights. Just finished a cruise on the Reflection and the formal nights dress requirements in the MDR were just ignored by many. Matter of fact, there were people in the MDR on formal nights that weren't even dressed to satisfy the generally understood "smart casual" guidelines.

Things have certainly changed. Jeans are worn to the fanciest of Manhattan restaurants. Everyone is dressing down. I have 2 sons who live in NYC. Their idea of "dressing up" is dumping the t-shirt and putting on a nicer shirt over their jeans. I'm not trying to push a bolder up hill. I understand the trend and that's just the way it is.

However, I do think that something needs to be done with formal nights on these cruises. Maybe SUITE DINING is part of it. Maybe not. But, when you see slobs walk into the MDR on formal nights, you either need to kick them out or just do away with formal nights and forget about dress codes. Many things have cycles. How we dress will always be evolving. The next generation may be like the last generation ...and want to get dressed up. But for now, I guess I will be dining in my tux sitting next to a guy wearing his "GO Huskers" Nebraska University t-shirt.

We only book insides and we always dress for dinner. I own at least 4 gowns and my DH bought a tux back in 2002 after our second cruise. Don't understand what suites have to do with dressing up and formal nights. A small percentage of the passengers on the ship will be in the Suite Dining Room.

I hate seeing slobs anywhere, not just on ships. It's sad people don't take more pride in their appearance these days. A pair of black pants, black jacket, white shirt and a tie for men can't be that hard to do is it?

Personally I find jeans the most uncomfortable things to wear. Rather have my gown on.

JMO.

I don't see how the two are connected. Why would the dress in the new suite dining room be any different than the MDR?

People were well dressed on my last Celebrity cruise and I saw no problem.

I don't think the new "Suite Dining Room" has anything to do with formal nights. I think it has to do with Blu being overtaxed by Suite passengers wanting to dine there rather than in the MDR. Not that I blame them, we prefer Blu to it too and always book in AQ so that we can dine there. There have been many reports about Blu getting busier and busier and I think rather than have it get overloaded to the point that it loses the wonderful ambiance that it has it was easier to just block off enough area in the MDR so that suite guests can dine there and, most likely, achieve the same ambiance. The MDR is SO loud that we just don't enjoy dining there anymore. The one time we were in a suite we ate in Blu every night that they would allow us....it's just a better venue in our opinion....:)

Greetings

I haven't seen any announcements pertaining to the dress for Suite Dining. It may be smart casual every night just like Blu. And just because you decide to sail in a suite you're given anti-slob vacine? Talk about painting with a broad brush.

Good Sailing

Tom

Edited by tunaman2011

I don't see how the two are connected. Why would the dress in the new suite dining room be any different than the MDR?

People were well dressed on my last Celebrity cruise and I saw no problem.

It may very well be like the specialty restaurants and be smart casual every night, that would be different than the MDR. Only time will tell...

Things have certainly changed. Jeans are worn to the fanciest of Manhattan restaurants. Everyone is dressing down. .. I'm not trying to push a boulder up hill. I understand the trend and that's just the way it is.

I don't like terms such as "Everyone" but we have noticed a steady change towards a more casual cruising attire on board Celebrity ships.

I don't believe this is related to the wishes of suite guests as much as an acceptance by many that you can't ignore the trend.

It should be noted that Celebrity officers no longer wear their dress whites on formal nights.

I don't like terms such as "Everyone" but we have noticed a steady change towards a more casual cruising attire on board Celebrity ships.

The 'steady' change has been going on for quite a while then. When the wife and I were discussing what to pack for our last cruise, she pulled out the photo album from 1996 when we sailed the 1st season of the Century.

Look here she said! 3 different nights in the dinning room and you are not wearing a jacket, let alone a tie! You and Chuck both have on thoes silly black pineapple design shirts. The trend toward a 'more casual attire' on a Celebrity ship is not something new.

Not on my watch!! I got a guy in wifebeater T shirt & shorts kicked out of Britannia on formal night a few years back on the QM2. That slob wouldn't even pass muster in the buffet. If pax don't have the decency to even wear a decent pair of long Khaki style pants & collared shirt in the dining room, then they should stay home, watch "Keeping up Appearances"& root for their hero, "Onslow"!

We only book insides and we always dress for dinner. I own at least 4 gowns and my DH bought a tux back in 2002 after our second cruise. Don't understand what suites have to do with dressing up and formal nights. A small percentage of the passengers on the ship will be in the Suite Dining Room.

I hate seeing slobs anywhere, not just on ships. It's sad people don't take more pride in their appearance these days. A pair of black pants, black jacket, white shirt and a tie for men can't be that hard to do is it?

Personally I find jeans the most uncomfortable things to wear. Rather have my gown on.

JMO.

Nice to see some pax, who still take a little pride in themselves,bravo!

Nice to see some pax, who still take a little pride in themselves,bravo!

Pride has little to do with what people choose to wear.

Some dress for comfort, some dress for convenience, some dress to impress others, some dress to follow the suggested dress code.

The only one I wish to impress is the person I share a cabin and table with.

However I would not share a table with people who flaunt the regs by several degrees of separation.

We have been on somewhere around 25 cruises-most of them longer ones with 3 formal nights.

I have worn a tux each formal night and have never felt out of place or had people look at me like I have cooties. ;) And we have no desire to be in a suite.

It's not like us guys have to wear bone corsets and hoop skirts.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl

I have witnessed a few dress code violations over the several cruises that we have gone on..But that's where it ends for us..We could care less what others wear, as long as they are not totally inappropriate..Most definitely, neither of us would go out of our way to complain about it to ship personnel..Mind your business, dress as you like within the rules, and enjoy the beautiful things that come with cruising...It's up to ship personnel to be consistant and not allow, the so called slobs, to enter any venue or dining area not properly dressed..As far as new suite dining areas, it's probably just another place where those that feel that they are of a higher class, can get away from the rest of us noisy, not so fortunate, inside cabin, steerage passengers in the MDR....You might be right though...I have seen and heard the fashion patrol cruisers complain openly while standing there waiting for the MDR doors to open..Times are changing................

An interesting theory; however, another thought is that people in suites may be used to having to dress more formally and so may be less interested in going the tux/ballroom gown route. The luxury smaller lines do not have formal nights. I do think the trend is to more casual. I think, though, that ships that continue to have formal nights should probably find a way to enforce the dress code or simply give it up as a lost cause.

An interesting theory; however, another thought is that people in suites may be used to having to dress more formally and so may be less interested in going the tux/ballroom gown route. The luxury smaller lines do not have formal nights. I do think the trend is to more casual. I think, though, that ships that continue to have formal nights should probably find a way to enforce the dress code or simply give it up as a lost cause.

They have, that is why the dress for the evening is listed as, suggested. Not required.

Hey "dingy", did my Huskers beat your team or something? :D This Nebraska grad & lifetime Husker fan will be in a tux on formal nights & a coat & tie on the other nights. My Husker t-shirts are for working around the house, I have several sharp Husker polos if I'm leaving the house. :)

Go Big Red!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I don't think the suite dining room and the dress code are related issues. I think it has to do with overcrowding in Blu.

The problem with the main dining room is that it is NOISY. They insist on playing music which means that everyone must talk louder in order to converse with their tablemates. In my experience, this hasn't been a problem in Blu.

Actually, carving out a suite dining room from a part of the main dining room may help the problem somewhat by making the MDR a bit smaller. And if Celebrity would just turn off the music and allow us to converse with our tablemates in pleasant tones, it would be much appreciated.

I suspect the dress code in the suite dining room will be similar to that of Blu. I've been on two cruises dining in Blu. In my experience, most people dressed up on formal nights. What's nice is that it is optional.

I don't think the suite dining room and the dress code are related issues. I think it has to do with overcrowding in Blu.

The problem with the main dining room is that it is NOISY. They insist on playing music which means that everyone must talk louder in order to converse with their tablemates. In my experience, this hasn't been a problem in Blu.

Actually, carving out a suite dining room from a part of the main dining room may help the problem somewhat by making the MDR a bit smaller. And if Celebrity would just turn off the music and allow us to converse with our tablemates in pleasant tones, it would be much appreciated.

I suspect the dress code in the suite dining room will be similar to that of Blu. I've been on two cruises dining in Blu. In my experience, most people dressed up on formal nights. What's nice is that it is optional.

Agree on all points, especially about Blu which is what I said earlier in this thread. It is SO much nicer than the noise of the MDR. Hopefully you are right that taking a section out of it will quiet it down some!:)

I travel with my 16 year old son and my DW and we are jeans and boots types ( as we work in heavy engineering ) that however does not stop us wearing a nice suit for the gents and gowns for my DW when we go out for after 5 events or in this case a formal dining evening.I struggle to understand the issue you dress for the environment.

I travel with my 16 year old son and my DW and we are jeans and boots types ( as we work in heavy engineering ) that however does not stop us wearing a nice suit for the gents and gowns for my DW when we go out for after 5 events or in this case a formal dining evening.I struggle to understand the issue you dress for the environment.

It's about people who believe the "rules" were made for everyone but them.... I personally don't care what people wear, but find it funny that those who are so adamantly opposed to "formal nights" still not only insist on booking on lines that have them, but openly defy the "rules" by going to those dining areas where "formal" is supposed to be the dress of the day rather than opting for one of the MANY other places where it is not........but that is our "entitled" society I guess.... :eek:

Edited by Gracie115

Part of the problem with formal nights come from the luggage restrictions (extra costs) that the air lines charge.

Another is it is really not practical. We usually sail in the Caribbean in AQ. Blu does not require formal dress on formal nights. I still wear a suit as many do. I shower before dinner, while dressing I am already sweating and about as wet as I was before I dried. I now put on my jacket and I am really uncomfortable and sweating more. I have heard people that are overweight complain about always being hot but I am not overweight, not at 5' 10" and 151.3 lbs.

Now I am seated in the dining room and it is really getting hot so I take my jacket off and notice that many are doing the same. As soon as dinner is over I head back to the cabin to change into something a little more cooler and I don't see a need to sit in a dark theater watching a show and being uncomfortable just because someone says that I need to be dressed in a suit to have dinner.

Things and times change. If you look at old movies or pictures you will see the bums, or hobos standing in the soup line wearing suits and ties. Men attending sporting events wearing suits. Men wear buried wearing suits.

I just seen on the news that a girl in HS was not admitted into the prom because she was wearing jeans instead of a "proper" dress. She claimed there was nothing that stated that a dress was required. Today I think most would want their daughter to wear the jeans that she was wearing instead of the "why bother" dress that seems to be the fad. Then look at those prom dresses from the 50's and 60's. What a laugh and waste of money, or may be not as some didn't go because they couldn't afford it

That is my experience and opinion that doesn't mean anything.

🇺🇸