What would make Oceania (even) better?

numbersix

My perfect cruise line:

1. Oceania's food and rooms (beautiful).

2. Azamara's port calls, staff, deck parties and ship size.

3. Seabourn's shore excursions.

Love your thoughts.

I think we all love Oceania but there are bits and pieces of other lines that we cherish as well. I'm with you on and 1 and 2.

Imagine what Oceania would be like if it had really good entertainment!!

I want Oceania to be Oceania. Not Azamara. Not Carnival or Disney. Not even Crystal or Celebrity. Not even Regent. Nor Doubletree. My library quibble was minor. I LIKE O and just wish I could go more often. Please, no loud parties or major changes in the demographic.

I will bow out of the discussion.

DITTO

Very we'll put.

I'm backing up to the laundry discussion.

Yes, I'd like it to be free but I'm not requesting that.

All I have to say is that while I've heard of battles in the laundry rooms, the dragon ladies trying to run things, etc. -- I've never experienced any of that.

When I do laundry on the ship I usually have two loads, one cold, one not. I don't hog the machines and I haven't seen anyone who does. Yes, if I go into the laundry room and no machines are in use I don't feel guilty for using two washers and then two dryers. But if I can do one at a time, that's what I do. (We do tend to do laundry at a time when most machines are available and yes, it's easier on the "O" ships since more machines are available.)

In fact, most people who have been doing laundry when I have are very friendly and accommodating. It's disappointing to hear that such is not always the case.

Mura

It is no longer Dragon Ladies, it is Dragon Men. The Dragon Men, remove other passengers wet laundry from the dryers, put theirs in, use up the tokens to those who left their laundry drying in the dryers, and get quite antagonistic when called on the fact that the dryers were occupied and that it is not their turn.

Yes, I have seen the Dragon Ladies on one cruise only. They were not going to let me get my laundry from the dryer. When I said fine, then you can't have the dryer until I can get my laundry out, they finally let me in. I was highly amused at them stopping me from making a dryer free.:D

I love Oceania but would love it even more if:

There were longer hours in Waves, so you could grab a bite to eat and relax around the pool after returning to the ship in the afternoon.

And please bring back the Oceania personal email address, and the $1.00 per sent email.

Just my thoughts...

OK I am a dumb Swiss! Can someone please explain to me what is good about white bread???

When someone refers to something like entertainment as "white bread" it does not mean it is good. It means it is generic and boring, bland and predictable.

I assume you are referencing the previous post where a poster described the program on O as "white bread."

OK I am a dumb Swiss! Can someone please explain to me what is good about white bread???

Let's not be judgmental enough to use "good" or "bad" but you cannot deny its' popularity and resultant widespread availability.

Entire books have been written, concerning the evolution and virtues of white bread:

white-bread3.jpghttp://www.amazon.com/White-Bread-Social-History-Store-Bought/dp/0807044784/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398427452&sr=1-1&keywords=white+bread

Who are we to dispute literature?

Besides, if you're going to be out and about, all day, sometimes eating whole grains at breakfast can be a mistake... :rolleyes:

White bread will fill you up with none of those secondary complications. :cool:

Then they would be Azamara.

I agree. I would like to see longer stays in ports and more overnights. it is one of the plusses I give to Azamara when I compare the two lines. Not only do you have a chance to dine in port, you also have a chance to do longer excursions or not have to rush back to the ship at 5 pm

Is longer in-port time really the only difference that separates Azamara and Oceania?

Not dumb at all.

In our household there was Jewish Rye, Italian and home made German breads.

Not until the 1980's did artisanal bakeries start to open on the East Coast and suddenly there was great bread almost everywhere.

Besides, if you're going to be out and about, all day, sometimes eating whole grains at breakfast can be a mistake... :rolleyes:

White bread will fill you up with none of those secondary complications. :cool:[/size]

It also toasts better than whole grain or rye :)

Let's not be judgmental enough to use "good" or "bad" but you cannot deny its' popularity and resultant widespread availability.

Entire books have been written, concerning the evolution and virtues of white bread:

white-bread3.jpghttp://www.amazon.com/White-Bread-Social-History-Store-Bought/dp/0807044784/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398427452&sr=1-1&keywords=white+bread

Who are we to dispute literature?

White bread will fill you up with none of those secondary complications. :cool:

For the ultimate observation regarding white bread (and with apologies to anyone who may get offended), watch the classic movie "The Pope of Greenwich Village" and fast forward to the 1hr 29min time spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It also toasts better than whole grain or rye :)

08_wonderbread_146x97.jpg

As any Toast connoisseur worth their salt will tell you, Wonder Bread has always had the reputation for being the brand of white bread which toasts up to perfection. Long after the chemically laden Wonder Bread formula should have killed it's market share in an increasingly health conscious United States, patrons continued to snap it up (presumably for toasting ) in record numbers.

buttered-toast2-150x150.jpg

Unfortunately, time was not as kind to the rest of the Hostess Bakery product line, such as Twinkies, Ho Ho's, Dolly Madison Cupcakes, Donettes, Zingers, Ding Dongs and Snowballs, and after years of slowly decreasing sales, Hostess went into Bankruptcy in 2012 and later decided to cease trading altogether.

twinkie-internet-9.jpg

Now, as with any story of the ups and downs of the American Industrial complex, a savior company should theoretically step in at this point to save us all from an an eternity of lackluster baked goods......and one DID!

HST_LOGO_burst_LR_RGB1-300x300.jpg

In 2013, our own Apollo Global Management (yes, the same one which "owns" Oceania & Regent) in conjunction with C. Dean Metropoulos & Co purchased Hostess for $410 million dollars, and although they are spinning off the Wonder Bread brand to Flowers Foods, -a Georgia based mega Bakery-, we can soon expect to see Twinkies et al on Supermarket shelves again!

Twinkies_are_officially_back_on_the_shel_752050000_20130715182212_640_480.JPG

Whew-Talk about six degree's of separation; Kevin Bacon has nothing on this one!

a 6 year old boy,his 15 year old sister & family were sailing to America from Germany. Sis flirted with the crew and crew flirted right back.

6 year old was my great-grandfather and said his first recollection of America was the white bread that the crew gave to his sister who shared with little bro! He said it was the best thing he ever ate!

a 6 year old boy,his 15 year old sister & family were sailing to America from Germany. Sis flirted with the crew and crew flirted right back.

6 year old was my great-grandfather and said his first recollection of America was the white bread that the crew gave to his sister who shared with little bro! He said it was the best thing he ever ate!

Obviously, they were not sailing on Oceania :D

FDR should define "country club casual" in detail, for all to understand and not leave it so open to person interpretation. If he wants Lee blue jeans in the dining rooms in the evenings, just say so. If he wants 250 lb woman wearing tight spandex to Jacques, put it in the policy and leave no room for doubt. Common Sense is a myth, spell it out!

FDR should define "country club casual" in detail, for all to understand and not leave it so open to person interpretation. If he wants Lee blue jeans in the dining rooms in the evenings, just say so. If he wants 250 lb woman wearing tight spandex to Jacques, put it in the policy and leave no room for doubt. Common Sense is a myth, spell it out!

Common Sense is not a myth. Those that have it - use it; those that do not have it - cannot use it.

The dress code on Oceania is spelled out well enough and it works very well as is. No matter how well FDR were to spell it out (which he won't), some people would choose to ignore (or interpret) it their way regardless.

I do not wish to have a "boarding school like" strict uniform or dress code spelled out to the last detail on Oceania.

Edited by Paulchili

Back to white bread....who can resist the most delicious Baguettes on earth on "O"? I had to train myself to just take one at each meal and had the morning one with Peanut Butter...ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Common Sense is not a myth. Those that have it - use it; those that do not have it - cannot use it.

The dress code on Oceania is spelled out well enough and it works very well as is. No matter how well FDR were to spell it out (which he won't), some people would choose to ignore (or interpret) it their way regardless.

I do not wish to have a "boarding school like" strict uniform or dress code spelled out to the last detail on Oceania.

Amen ! They can't or won't enforce what definition they currently have. A stricter definition would only offend in a variety of ways. Adult cruisers need to act like adults!

Amen ! They can't or won't enforce what definition they currently have. A stricter definition would only offend in a variety of ways. Adult cruisers need to act like adults!

A friend of mine was on the Marina last December & the staff of the GDR turned away men who were wearing sandals. So I guess they do enforce the rules sometimes.