What would make Oceania (even) better?

numbersix

Okay, we don't do Trivia (although we have friends who do). On the "O" ships the theater I agree is the worst place. I say that as someone who doesn't do Trivia but would not even be tempted to try it in the theater. We might on the "R" ships.

Terrace sounds like a good suggestion to me, depending on the time. It sounds like a GOOD location to me for the late afternoon time. I don't think it would work during the dinner hours unless it was scheduled rather late. Which would conflict with the show times.

Mura

as Mura suggested is PERFECT for late afternoon 3 or 4. I can not believe they won't use it.

The theatre is horrible and when they do it at night in Martinis...bring a big, big guy to move the chairs.

May we please remember that Trivia is supposed to be a lighthearted activity encouraging the passengers to mix and have fun?

Perhaps, not being glued to the chairs could be the idea.

May we please remember that Trivia is supposed to be a lighthearted activity encouraging the passengers to mix and have fun?

Perhaps, not being glued to the chairs could be the idea.

Well then why don't they encourage teams to form ad hoc every afternoon? Teaming up at the beginning of a cruise and sticking with the same people seems designed to discourage mixing and lightheartedness!

Well then why don't they encourage teams to form ad hoc every afternoon? Teaming up at the beginning of a cruise and sticking with the same people seems designed to discourage mixing and lightheartedness!

I agree with you 100%.

I propose that teams get bonus points for forming anew each day, or at least for each "new" member that they take in. :D

Maybe even give trivia winners a free cruise or shore excursion--sorry, got carried away.

A comment on "twinkies" for some earlier posts on this site. This term has an entirely different meaning for us San Franciscans! It morphed into a very interesting and long-lasting legal defense strategy in murder trials-- "the twinkie sugar content made me do it". Remember Mayor Moscone and Dan White?

I was wondering if they really combine high tea and trivia? Seems like two totally separate crowds.

One of my DH's favorite things on O has been the string quartets, especially the Quadrivium. One of the features that saddens and disappoints, is that they are relegated to playing in the hallways during the pre-dinner/post-dinner times --- so if you want to do any serious listening, you don't stand a chance. It is like sitting on the shoulder of the freeway trying to watch what is going on on the other side of the road.

You have a better chance to listen with some attention during tea time. If trivia goes into competition with the quartet, I know which one will win --- don't you?

On our last Riviera cruise, Nolan Dean had trivia -- afternoon and evening -- in Martini's. I had opposed the idea of this but it worked out really very well.

As a trivia afficianado, and a fan of the quartets, I really would like to see these two things kept apart. Would love to be able to do both, but scheduling seems impossible. So it goes. But I would love to see those musicians get the respect they deserve.

One of my DH's favorite things on O has been the string quartets, especially the Quadrivium. One of the features that saddens and disappoints, is that they are relegated to playing in the hallways during the pre-dinner/post-dinner times --- so if you want to do any serious listening, you don't stand a chance. It is like sitting on the shoulder of the freeway trying to watch what is going on on the other side of the road.

You have a better chance to listen with some attention during tea time. If trivia goes into competition with the quartet, I know which one will win --- don't you?

On our last Riviera cruise, Nolan Dean had trivia -- afternoon and evening -- in Martini's. I had opposed the idea of this but it worked out really very well.

As a trivia afficianado, and a fan of the quartets, I really would like to see these two things kept apart. Would love to be able to do both, but scheduling seems impossible. So it goes. But I would love to see those musicians get the respect they deserve.

You need not worry - trivia and tea will NEVER be combined.

I know exactly what you mean about the quartet and people trying to listen to them having to put up with hoards of people (often quite loud) parading through the hallway to dinner (or wherever)

Wish Oceania had more itineraries with lots of days at sea. At this point, only the transatlantics offer that and we're just off a wonderful one!

We're doing Miami to San Francisco on Regatta next April - lots of sea days on that. Were very happy to find that itinerary so we could enjoy the beautiful ship and service.

Wish Oceania had more itineraries with lots of days at sea. At this point, only the transatlantics offer that and we're just off a wonderful one!

PPT to Lima has several sea days as do (segments of) both world cruises.

Most of the South American cruises offer a mix of sea days and port days. I have a heart condition that mandates an occasional day of rest; on port-intensive European cruises I usually have to pick a port to miss.

Oceania has apparently been facing market pressure to shorten many of the cruises; in the past they rarely had one under 12 days. Cutting them to 10 and even 7 days means losing sea days. Book longer cruises -- you'll get more sea days. The 2015 World Cruise is visiting 86 ports for a total of 116 port days, out of a 180 day cruise. The sea days are very nicely blended among the port days.

Sailorgirl - could you start a new thread with a review of your TA and especially comments about lecturers etc? I am really curious about these on Oceania since I have read that recently the lectures weren't all that great. And we have a TA next April...

And regarding Trivia - I think Wendy is right. Hold Trivia once teatime in Horizons has finished (1645 or so?). It really works well on Regent where on the Mariner it is in the Horizon Lounge which is always packed at tea time and then people drift off OR stay to play. I love Trivia (especially when I can play with Tallship!) but on Riviera I really did not like the idea of playing in the theatre so I didn't go. And on the TA I would really love to play...

Edited by Hambagahle

Actually, I did a review of our T/A which is now posted under the member ship reviews. Lectures were adequate, interesting and well attended (nothing much else to do for some) but not among the best we've ever seen. I think Crystal tops the list in that department.

And yes, days at sea allow passengers to enjoy the wonderful ship and service. That's referred to as the ship being the destination.

We have been on Regent and it worked perfectly. We would stay for a scone (yum). We met a lot of nice people. On the O-ships you can't play well with that layout and you don't meet people.

I also thought of Trivia in the Terrace at one end like about 3:30 or 4:00...I can't think of why this wouldn't work.

Sailorgirl - could you start a new thread with a review of your TA and especially comments about lecturers etc? I am really curious about these on Oceania since I have read that recently the lectures weren't all that great. And we have a TA next April...

And regarding Trivia - I think Wendy is right. Hold Trivia once teatime in Horizons has finished (1645 or so?). It really works well on Regent where on the Mariner it is in the Horizon Lounge which is always packed at tea time and then people drift off OR stay to play. I love Trivia (especially when I can play with Tallship!) but on Riviera I really did not like the idea of playing in the theatre so I didn't go. And on the TA I would really love to play...

That's Happy Hour and Happy Hour can get very crowded and raucous depending who is on the ship. SHould make for a good Trivia game.

Maybe hold Trivia first (perhaps a half an hour earlier) -- then it can flow into tea time and happy hour? Is Martinis too small to hold trivia?

Not sure people could ever be talked into not having the Trivia teams that they want -- even if it is the same people every day. Since there are always people that can't make it, there is usually room on a team for people to join -- at least for that day. We never have had a problem with that on Regent (that I am aware of) and have met lovely people. Our only criteria for a team member is that they don't take it too seriously and can laugh at a mistake.

We enjoy Trivia but did not attend on the Riviera because of the theater. For reasons discussed here, we do not have high hopes that we'll be on a Trivia team in November. Perhaps we'll sit in a corner of the theater and be our own (non-official) team:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

+1

It may work on Regent (somehow, someway) but it would not be a good idea on the O ships, IMO

Amen.

If I want to sail on Regent I guess I will figure out a way to do that. I like Oceania, quirks and all.

I wasn't suggesting tea and Trivia. I suggested one following the other. Believe me, we don't want Regent to be like Oceania or visa versa (actually, the thought is frightening -- they have their own identities and should remain that way). There have just been so many complaints about Trivia on the larger ships that suggestions are being made. Sometimes what is done on other ships can be helpful. IMO, the best Trivia we have experienced is on the Silver Shadow and Whisper (don't want Oceania to be like they are either).

Really thought that people would be open to ideas -- no one was forcing any issues. I guess I was mistaken:o

Edited by Travelcat2

I think it would be a great idea if Oceania introduced a Spa package to be purchased in advance which incorporated a discount - say a percentage discount for committing to $500 or $1000-worth of treatments which could be pre-booked.