Help! Princess Cruisers planning Allure with Grandson

-Lew-

Hello Allure experts...

We're long-time Princess cruisers who are planning a cruise on the Allure with our 13 year old grandson this summer. We know next to nothing about cruising Royal Caribbean or Allure so any assistance you can offer will be very much appreciated.

In looking at cabins, it appears the following categories would suit us:

Crown Loft Suite with Balcony

Grand Suite with Balcony

Junior Suite with Balcony

Balcony

Any comments or suggestions on cabin type and location will be helpful. I am aware there are inward facing cabins with balconies, but we'd much rather face the sea.

With Princess we always book with a TA for discounted pricing. I'm aware Royal Caribbean does not allow discounting, so is there any reason I should book with a TA?

Thank you for your assistance...

Lew

If you are used to suites, then I'd book a minimum of a Junior Suite on Royal. The "D" balcony staterooms on Oasis/Allure are smaller and less conveniently layed out than on other Royal ships.

If you are used to suites, then I'd book a minimum of a Junior Suite on Royal. The "D" balcony staterooms on Oasis/Allure are smaller and less conveniently layed out than on other Royal ships.

Thank you, Bob. I appreciate your input. Although I didn't list it, the Owner's Suite is now in the mix.

Lew

Booking a full suite, not a junior suite or regular balcony, would give you access to the concierge lounge, which is very nice on the Allure.

Interesting...thank you.

Lew

Full suites (GS and up) on Royal Caribbean give you the perk of Concierge Lounge access. In addition to the nightly cocktail hour, on the Oasis and Allure, the CL provides a full (non-buffet) breakfast and lunch for suite passengers.

For three of you, you might enjoy a Crown Loft suite. That would give you and your grandson each a private bathroom.

I've sailed in an Owner's Suite on a different ship, and it's a fantastic cabin with a huge balcony and plenty of space. For just my husband and I, a Grand Suite is plenty of space, but we haven't been in one with more than two people.

If you don't think you would use the Concierge Lounge, the JS on Royal Caribbean is a very spacious cabin...I think it has a lot more usable space than a Mini Suite on Princess. On the Oasis and Allure, look for one that is on the "hump" for an oversized balcony. One advantage to the JS is a walk-in closet that is big enough to serve as a dressing room for privacy!

Good luck and happy planning!:)

Edited by Cindy

Hello Allure experts...

We're long-time Princess cruisers who are planning a cruise on the Allure with our 13 year old grandson this summer. We know next to nothing about cruising Royal Caribbean or Allure so any assistance you can offer will be very much appreciated.

In looking at cabins, it appears the following categories would suit us:

Crown Loft Suite with Balcony

Grand Suite with Balcony

Junior Suite with Balcony

Balcony

Any comments or suggestions on cabin type and location will be helpful. I am aware there are inward facing cabins with balconies, but we'd much rather face the sea.

With Princess we always book with a TA for discounted pricing. I'm aware Royal Caribbean does not allow discounting, so is there any reason I should book with a TA?

Thank you for your assistance...

Lew

Hi Lew,

Having taken three grandchildren on the Allure and the Oasis,on three occassions. You and your grandson are in for a treat! If you can afford it, why not go for the best suite you can. This ship is so full of things to do, especially for a 13 year old, he will have a ball

as will you.

IMO Princess is an OK cruise line, but the Allure is not to be believed. The entertainment is wonderful! The choice of dining venues fabulous! The main dining room and buffet, much better then princess. Since I have been sailing more on Celebrity, which is wonderful, but IMO best for adults, Royal is our choice for family cruises. You many never go back to Princess!

We used TA's for most of our cruises, but now I believe better to deal directly with the cruise line. I watch the rates and can call RC directly 24/7 to make any downward adjustment.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Cruise a holic

We booked an Owner's Suite onboard the Allure's August 10, 2014 sailing. Thank you all for your help. A few more questions...

Full suites (GS and up) on Royal Caribbean give you the perk of Concierge Lounge access. In addition to the nightly cocktail hour, on the Oasis and Allure, the CL provides a full (non-buffet) breakfast and lunch for suite passengers.

Would you recommend breakfast in the CL over enjoying room service on our balcony? Would the menu be the same? Is it done better in the CL?

Having taken three grandchildren on the Allure and the Oasis,on three occassions. You and your grandson are in for a treat! If you can afford it, why not go for the best suite you can. This ship is so full of things to do, especially for a 13 year old, he will have a ball

as will you.

IMO Princess is an OK cruise line, but the Allure is not to be believed. The entertainment is wonderful! The choice of dining venues fabulous! The main dining room and buffet, much better then princess. Since I have been sailing more on Celebrity, which is wonderful, but IMO best for adults, Royal is our choice for family cruises. You many never go back to Princess!

We're looking forward to a fantastic time on the Allure! We have always wanted to cruise RCCL...what better opportunity than to enjoy it with our grandson?

We do love Princess, but who knows how we'll view it after this cruise? It will be interesting to be sure...

Lew

We booked an Owner's Suite onboard the Allure's August 10, 2014 sailing. Thank you all for your help. A few more questions...

Would you recommend breakfast in the CL over enjoying room service on our balcony? Would the menu be the same? Is it done better in the CL?

We're looking forward to a fantastic time on the Allure! We have always wanted to cruise RCCL...what better opportunity than to enjoy it with our grandson?

We do love Princess, but who knows how we'll view it after this cruise? It will be interesting to be sure...

Lew

I think room service on your balcony would be a delight!:D I would always choose the CL over the Windjammer (buffet) or even the MDR.

Lew

Don't miss the shows in the Aqua Theater. This is a venue very unique to Oasis and Allure. You will see nothing like these shows on any other ships. Also, since you sail on Princess, the ice shows will be a very new experience for you also. The main ice show on Allure is excellent. There is a second one called "How to Tame Your Dragon" which is a Dreamworks show. I was almost going to skip it as I figured it would just be something that would be for kids. However, it turned out to be excellent. So if you have time in your schedule you should try to catch that show too.

I think it is awesome that you are taking your grandson with you on this amazing ship. It will create some memories that you both will carry forever.

I think room service on your balcony would be a delight!:D I would always choose the CL over the Windjammer (buffet) or even the MDR.

Another "must" is to go to mycruisephotos.com and order the all inclusive photo packages. The photos come either hard copy and or cd. When you arrive home, you can download the CD to a photo vendor and create a book of special memories. Well worth the cost as I am sure you will have so many pictures to enjoy forever! Typically you can book around 8 weeks before your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I think the Crown Loft with two washrooms and a somewhat private area for you as well as your grandson is the way to go. The Concierge Lounge is a nice treat, but also try the free breakfast a Johnny Rockets. Deck 17 is also much quieter than the rest of the decks as it is a card entry area for the cabins. Viking Crown Lounge is also on Deck 17, a perfect spot for a night cap or a good spot to get a drink on the way to your cabin.

If you grandson is going to try the flow riders and likes basket ball you might want your room to face the sports desk. That way you can sit on your balcony, but not spend every minute with him. Gives you both a bit of time to yourselves. Just a suggestion.

Don't pick as suite under the pool deck. Just like the PHS on Princess you will hear deck noised as chairs get dragged around in the morning as the crew sets up for the day. Either that or the chogs start to save their locations. I also forgot to mention that suite cruisers also have an area on an upper pool deck level. It isn't right at the pool, but it is a small quiet area with a bar.

We used to sail Princess and are 2 cruises away from Elite with Princess. Once we discovered the Oasis class we have only returned to Princess once and it was for the itinerary. When it comes to ships it is hard to beat the Oasis class.

Have fun on your sailing and enjoy the time with your grandson.

Andrew.

Hi Lew!

Sounds like you have a great cruise lined up. We just got back from a cruise with DD, SIL and two granddaughters on the Freedom of the Seas. Agree with others who say the balcony cabins on RC are better designed...we had a hump balcony and it was one fine cabin!

Will be interested to hear how you liked it and how the overall experience compared with Princess. Our previous cruise with this family was a Med. Cruise on the Royal Princess last July and when the votes were in, we loved our cruise on the Freedom but liked the Royal better!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Again...thanks for all the suggestions.

We always check decks above and below when booking as we don't want any possible unpleasant surprises...our cabin is on deck 10. We're not far from the CL.

We really enjoy dining on our balcony. Being able to order off the MDR menu in the OS and enjoying it on the balcony will be a big plus for us.

Don't miss the shows in the Aqua Theater. This is a venue very unique to Oasis and Allure. You will see nothing like these shows on any other ships. Also, since you sail on Princess, the ice shows will be a very new experience for you also. The main ice show on Allure is excellent.

Yes, we have booked the Aqua Theater as well as Chicago. Love being able to book in advance...can't do that on Princess.

Sounds like you have a great cruise lined up. We just got back from a cruise with DD, SIL and two granddaughters on the Freedom of the Seas. Agree with others who say the balcony cabins on RC are better designed...we had a hump balcony and it was one fine cabin!

Will be interested to hear how you liked it and how the overall experience compared with Princess. Our previous cruise with this family was a Med. Cruise on the Royal Princess last July and when the votes were in, we loved our cruise on the Freedom but liked the Royal better!

Hello stranger...

We enjoyed the Royal TA and have the Regal and Royal booked. I'll certainly post my thoughts of Princess vs RCCL after the cruise.

Lew

Lew

Lew you did well. My cousin just came off the Oasis (same size cabins) and booked an owner's suite for himself his wife and son, and LOVED IT! They had breakfast in the Concierge Lounge a few mornings and loved the size of the cabin.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE.

I just did an Oasis review with many pictures of the common areas that are the same on the Allure. Click on the link below to see the review.

Lew you did well. My cousin just came off the Oasis (same size cabins) and booked an owner's suite for himself his wife and son, and LOVED IT! They had breakfast in the Concierge Lounge a few mornings and loved the size of the cabin.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE.

I just did an Oasis review with many pictures of the common areas that are the same on the Allure. Click on the link below to see the review.

Thanks, Caneguy! Checked out your Oasis review...a lot of great info there!! It'll take me until the cruise to read it all. :rolleyes:

Lew

i love johnny rockets for breakfast. full menu. i also like the windjammer zoo because i like to just take what i like and then more of that. windjammer does have an egg and omlet stand.

allure has a very small windjammer compared to other royal caribbean ships.

the dining room is good too. i find breakfast on my balcony cools off too fast.

Is there a charge for breakfast at JR?

Lew

not only is it free, it is very good. i always sit outside on the boardwalk. and Lew i am elite with princess but diamond with royal caribbean because i LOVE the oasis and allure.

not only is it free, it is very good. i always sit outside on the boardwalk. and Lew i am elite with princess but diamond with royal caribbean because i LOVE the oasis and allure.

Ya know...we cruise a lot and rarely get excited about a cruise until it's almost upon us. In this case, my DW and I are kinda' excited and really looking forward to this new experience.

Lew

There are so many new activities for your grandson to enjoy on this ship! The flow riders, zip-line, rock climbing walls, ice skating, mini-golf, and full size basketball court to name a few. And the teen clubs, Fuel and Living Room offer a great venue for the 12-17 year old group.

We have taken our 13 year old GS on an Oasis class ship 3 times and he always has a blast.

You are in for a real treat this summer-enjoy!:)

Edited by Wilda