Found a cruisemate, now how do we pay for the cruise?

yamaha dancer

OK here's the scenario, I found someone to cruise with to save myself the single supplement. I will be booking the cruise because I have a voucher I want to utilize. She and I are each paying our equal half for the cruise. When I book how can I only pay my half, thus leaving the rest for her to pay? Cruise is soon, so payment will be due when booking.

PLEASE don't say call the cruiseline! From where I currently live that is expensive, even if they have a 1-800 number. Please don't ask me to explain this part as it is complicated.

The cruise is through Carnival. I will call them if I have to, but I want to keep the conversation as brief as possible. Yes, I am cheap when it comes to paying for phone calls!

I am sure someone reading has useful advise to share on this subject and I would appreciate your help.

Thank you, Yamaha

Assuming you have internet access, login to your booking and pay off your 1/2 with a credit card. Then make another payment with her credit card.

Or if you booked through a PVP, send them an email to please call you so you can finalize payment.

Or ask her for a cash payment now for her 1/2, deposit it into your bank account and pay off the cruise online.

When you call, e-mail, fax, or "whatever", say: Put $xxxx on this credit card. So and so will be contacting you to put her portion on her credit card. Then call your friend and say "I just put my share on my CC, you need to call, NOW!

Edited by marco

Both parties can call the cruise line using the 1-800 (costs you nothing) use the same booking number & just pay your share on a CC

Use the same TA & let them deal with it

When you book online it may bill you for the full amount ( have not tried it ) then you would need to get the money from the other person

Might be easier to call than doing it online

It's not complicated. The cruise line doesn't care how payment is received, so either you pay for your half and have her then pay separately for her half directly to the cruise line -or- (since you have the voucher) have her pay you for her half and - once her funds are confirmed with you - you pay the total to the cruise line as a single transaction.

But as the full amount will be due when you book, if you pay individually you will have make payment between the two of you simultaneously.

More importantly, as you are traveling as separate passengers, at check in be sure each that your room cards are issued with separate credit cards so that any charges made by each remain separate.

Since you would prefer not to call the cruise line to do this I would suggest doing it together on line or - probably better - calling a TA to assist. My comfort level would be to have someone "live" handle the transaction to assure it is processed correctly. If paid separately, the TA can gather each payment information individually and process the transaction together. Even easier if only your information is being used as your companion is paying you herself. The TA would also know how to process the voucher correctly.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thank-you for all the great advise. Although my cruise mate is not yet a "friend",

as we have only communicated so far by internet, I will first try marco's approach, as it seems the most logical.

" When you call, e-mail, fax, or "whatever", say: Put $xxxx on this credit card. So and so will be contacting you to put her portion on her credit card. Then call your friend and say "I just put my share on my CC, you need to call, NOW!"

Though it may seem, "Easy-peasy", to just get the money from her and then book, since we don't really know each other yet, this is not an easy option, in my opinion. Matters of money can be very tricky. Once we have both paid our share of the cruise fare we will be on more even playing ground, as we will both be equally committed.

I know it is a risk cruising with someone you don't really know, but if money is not part of the issue, I think it will be an easier relationship to manage.

Thanks again for all the advise postings and happy cruising. Yamaha

Seriously would love for you to come back with a report after the cruise and let us know not only about how you worked payment but how things worked out with the new friend/roommate. Should be interesting & informative. Hope you have a fun-filled and relaxing cruise.

I've done several roommate matches from another website.

Usually a travel agent is easiest, you could even do your half by email if you don't want to call. Most good ones can do a conference call and you can book at the same time. The cruise line can also do this. I did a conference call with celebrity and we each paid half while on the phone.

I've done several roommate matches from another website.

Usually a travel agent is easiest, you could even do your half by email if you don't want to call. Most good ones can do a conference call and you can book at the same time. The cruise line can also do this. I did a conference call with celebrity and we each paid half while on the phone.

Are you saying, you gave your credit card number and security code over the phone, and so did the other person, so you both could've written down (and use later!) each other' information? And both were OK with it?

You're taking a chance rooming with a complete stranger. Good luck.

I agree! Just my opinion, but spending your cruise nights sleeping and dressing with a total stranger in a very small space with even a smaller bathroom? No thanks!

Are you saying, you gave your credit card number and security code over the phone, and so did the other person, so you both could've written down (and use later!) each other' information? And both were OK with it?

Excellent question! It's one thing if the TA is acting as a third party individually and then coordinating the payment, but if it is indeed conducted via an open conference call with credit card information exchanged, very risky - and quite frankly foolish - IMO!

both of you call in with your own credit card and pay for your portion. it's quite simple. otherwise, have her Paypal the money to you in advance then pay for the whole thing yourself. this doesn't sound too difficult.