New Azamara Brochure : Another Marketing/Technology Blunder

Andy

Hi Everyone,

We've just received Azamara's new marketing brochure : "Double Take Offer", with the photo of the 2 dogs on the cover.

My Mom & I received the same brochure, mailed to 2 different addresses. Each brochure had our name on line 1, and the name of another resident of our respective buildings on line 2. Really Azamara ? Is it THAT complicated to get things right ?

Frankly, I'm extremely displeased with the fact that my personal information may be shared with other consumers, as I've now received the names of other Azamara consumers - which are printed on the brochure. While it's often 1 miscue after another... Azamara should be embarassed by this incredibly sloppy project. I must ask... don't they have a trial database run, BEFORE huge amounts of money are spent on print materials and mailing costs ? What a waste ! IMO, if their database is this fouled up, they shouldn't send out consumer materials, until they have a handle on the data - which they clearly do not.

I always hope for greatness for Azamara, but they really need to wake up. It's things like this, that make me wonder how they expect to get to the next level, if they can't get simple things like this right.

Another item which puzzles me....

While I love dogs, I cannot understand why Azamara would opt for a photo of 2 dogs on their cover. I get the double idea, but... what do dogs have to do with cruising ?

If they wanted to have an attention getting cover maximizing the "double" theme, why not use a photo of Journey & Quest together ? The ships are twins ! This would have caught my eye much quicker than 2 dogs.

It's a cute photo, but IMO, it makes no sense for a cruise brochure.

Another item which puzzles me....

While I love dogs, I cannot understand why Azamara would opt for a photo of 2 dogs on their cover. I get the double idea, but... what do dogs have to do with cruising ?

If they wanted to have an attention getting cover maximizing the "double" theme, why not use a photo of Journey & Quest together ? The ships are twins ! This would have caught my eye much quicker than 2 dogs.

It's a cute photo, but IMO, it makes no sense for a cruise brochure.

That's exactly what I thought too! Cute dogs, but nothing at all to do with cruising. And I quickly looked for the cruise which we had already booked and found the inside price to now be the same as the Oceanview was priced when we booked (with a category upgrade) so it's really no deal at all.

I think Azamara needs to have a serious talking-to with whichever company handles their mailings because your story, Andy, is not the only incident. When we sailed the Quest, I got luggage tags for three--yes, THREE--other passengers, which of course gave me access to both names of other passengers and their cabin numbers!!! Talk about a breach of privacy. The information that you garnered from a misaddressed brochure gave you access only to what's probably available in a phone book. What I got gave me a lot more. Bad, very bad. And to top it off, our luggage tags weren't even in the package. :mad:

I'm with you about the dogs. I like dogs but not on cruise ships. I can remember a few highly inflammatory threads on the Celebrity and Royal Caribbean about so-called "service" dogs on board ship which were enough to turn even the most hard-core dog lovers into haters! They were awful. I'd have chosen another subject for the brochure cover. Having said that, however, the brochure featured many beautiful destination photos. That brochure was coffee table pretty.

Edited by dln929

I got this booklet when i was not feeling well. But Andy the info you got as you said was in your building so you might know them.. but for me the second line was a friends husband name! The friend, the husband and child were on the Reflection with me 13 months ago. .so this tell me thay used Celebrity's data base not Azamara. this family lives 6 hours from me in NC. thought it was weird but I was to sick t ocare. missed the stupid dogs all together.

not sure or why RCI would market this way but it makes no sense at all. no had a problem with bag tags.. wonder for peopel like Mare S who her second line wason her booklet.

I think Azamara needs to have a serious talking-to with whichever company handles their mailings because your story, Andy, is not the only incident. When we sailed the Quest, I got luggage tags for three--yes, THREE--other passengers, which of course gave me access to both names of other passengers and their cabin numbers!!! Talk about a breach of privacy. The information that you garnered from a misaddressed brochure gave you access only to what's probably available in a phone book. What I got gave me a lot more. Bad, very bad. And to top it off, our luggage tags weren't even in the package. :mad:

This sounds familiar. Same has happened to me in the past as well.

At least you, Andy and others have received the new brochure. I haven't.

Ours was addressed to my wife and the mother of the woman from whom we purchased our home a year ago.:eek:

The good news is the brochure has two pictures of former lead singers Amanda Poulson and Andrew ??? dining on a veranda.:);)

I never even notice that. .hmmm! shoyld it not be real guests.

I never even notice that. .hmmm! shoyld it not be real guests.

Hi Robin,

Would be great if they used real cruisers, but most marketing brochures only want a certain type of "look" ... whatever the heck that is. From all the cruiseline brochures I receive, most brands are guilty of the same offense. FWIW, there appears to be 2 "real" photos, on Pages 12-13, and another of Larry P, taking a selfie on page 26.

When I look at the brochures, I always think to myself... Gee, the folks on my sailing sure didn't look like that :)

Hi Robin,

Would be great if they used real cruisers, but most marketing brochures only want a certain type of "look" ... whatever the heck that is. From all the cruiseline brochures I receive, most brands are guilty of the same offense. FWIW, there appears to be 2 "real" photos, on Pages 12-13, and another of Larry P, taking a selfie on page 26.

When I look at the brochures, I always think to myself... Gee, the folks on my sailing sure didn't look like that :)

I did see Larry. not sure i kept the booklet as i am booked for 2015.. otherwise i would look at the actors pictures.. maybe that why they need look real and the people are not real-they are actors and singers etc.

I did see Larry. not sure i kept the booklet as i am booked for 2015.. otherwise i would look at the actors pictures.. maybe that why they need look real and the people are not real-they are actors and singers etc.

Actors and singers are real people too! :)

They just tend to be a lot more photogenic than most of the rest of us. :) I'm quite sure their pictures will sell way more cruises than my picture would!

I am just about to buy my first AZ cruise. Do they have their act together enough to give a good product? Quest 16 days Bali to Osaka. Lots of details and some of them not available like "land discoveries" and I can not find cabins available to choose one. Details matter for a good cruise. Should I buy?

I feel honestly sorry for my postman -- I get 3 or 4 brochures a day and I really only take 2-3 cruises per year! I know I am a frequent traveler but I don't even look at the mailings -- when I have a cruise I want I check it out on web then dial up the TA because that is the only price that matters -- what is on my credit card bill. Can never figure out the pricing anyway with 2 for 1 and free air (which I can always beat the price of by selecting my own flights -- well at least for the last 23 trips). I would just as rather not get the mailings and have my information in less landfills.

I am just about to buy my first AZ cruise. Do they have their act together enough to give a good product? Quest 16 days Bali to Osaka. Lots of details and some of them not available like "land discoveries" and I can not find cabins available to choose one. Details matter for a good cruise. Should I buy?

You're the only one who can answer that question. There are many of us here who love the shipboard experience and tear our hair out with the bungling that happens on land, as example of which is detailed in this post. There are some of us who are impressed with neither the before or after experience. Who knows what you'll think? If you look at the reviews you can see 5 star ratings by one reviewer and a 2 star bomb by another...and they've both been on the same ship at the same time. We all see things differently. No one knows if you should buy but you--it's your money after all. What I would do if I were you is take the time to read through the pages of this forum, read the member reviews, and then form your own opinion about whether you and Azamara might be a good fit.

I know that I love the R ships and have sailed on several owned and operated by different cruise lines and at different times -- remember the Tahitian Princess?. The ports of call on the trip are just excellent -- all new for us and each has something we really want to see. We have an excellent TA who works well with AZ if something doesn't work. We don't drink alcohol and we will carry a steripen for the pre-cruise so as long as water that is not a problem. So much going for them but at the price point they need to be better than the mass lines -- and I need to trust them to do what they promise at least to a reasonable degree.

I have been hanging out on CC for many years and yes some of the comments and reviews you can't believe they are covering the same cruise and the same situation. Since I can not think of any of our 25+ cruises that I did not just love, I bet I will be OK with this one too:D

Edited by Bowie MeMe

No brochures with doggies here in the UK....but in their UK 2014 brochure for the Dec 22 cruise; an Late Night stay indication (meaning 8pm or later) is marked against Dec 23 (which is actually a sea day) and against Dec 29th when we sail at 3pm......

An Overnight Stay indication is marked against Jan 1st....which is also a sea day.

Attention to detail.:rolleyes:

Hi Everyone,

We've just received Azamara's new marketing brochure : "Double Take Offer", with the photo of the 2 dogs on the cover.

My Mom & I received the same brochure, mailed to 2 different addresses. Each brochure had our name on line 1, and the name of another resident of our respective buildings on line 2. Really Azamara ? Is it THAT complicated to get things right ?

Frankly, I'm extremely displeased with the fact that my personal information may be shared with other consumers, as I've now received the names of other Azamara consumers - which are printed on the brochure. While it's often 1 miscue after another... Azamara should be embarassed by this incredibly sloppy project. I must ask... don't they have a trial database run, BEFORE huge amounts of money are spent on print materials and mailing costs ? What a waste ! IMO, if their database is this fouled up, they shouldn't send out consumer materials, until they have a handle on the data - which they clearly do not.

I always hope for greatness for Azamara, but they really need to wake up. It's things like this, that make me wonder how they expect to get to the next level, if they can't get simple things like this right.

Dear Host Andy,

Thank you for bringing the mailing address error to our attention. We will look into this error and rectify it with our mailing house and database partner.

We apologize to you and others you who have received our most recent direct mail piece with the incorrect name or mailing address.

Bonnie

Andy was spot on and this only confirms my belief that Azamara corporate is being run by a group that has no idea of how to run a cruise line. Is there

a plan on how they are going to replace their aging ships?

totally agree wit the above.. dogs and ships do not go toether ar all. two ssiter ships makes more sense.

Hi Everyone,

Andy,

Was your past PAX number on the mailing? I would not be happy with some one else name on my mail. I would wonder what mail of mine is going to them.

Andy,

Was your past PAX number on the mailing? I would not be happy with some one else name on my mail. I would wonder what mail of mine is going to them.

Hi Maria,

There were 2 sets of numbers above our names. Neither one resembles what I know our loyalty numbers to be - so that's probably good news... at least I hope so !

Ever since ACC started to separate/identify itself from Celebrity it has been a string of disasters(by design or incompetence hard to tell).

Plenty of resources to make changes but none to fix the thing those changes break, especially with the web based stuff.

Have they fixed all the UK issues yet I gave up looking.

My latest email for Azamara came from Celebrity so got sorted into my Celebrity folder.

Will have to check the details for issues with identity, it was something about double upgrades.

Its been about 5 years between cruises on Azamara for us. I have entered my email address on the website requesting a brochure many times over those years, but the request must have been intercepted by Oceania, since I get weekly mailings from them...don't know why. Never cruised with them or asked to be on their mailing list.

Azamara even asked me I'd like to be contacted by them with specials when I made a recent reservation. I checked the 'yes' box, to no avail. No new brochures, no email contact.

On our first cruise, there was an initiative to go 'brochure-less' and they rolled out a huge, confusing fold-up blue poster thing which caused an outcry.

The odd choice of spotted Dalmatians or Great Danes...can't remember which they are now, bring up associations of firetrucks. If you want to use dogs, why not feature some lovely water dogs, like Retreivers? Obviously, the choice was made for the effective juxtaposition of black and white against the colourful background....for that, they could have used zebras!

Personally, I agree that they should be proud to feature the two gracious ships...for some of us, it's not just about the destinations or late nights....it's about sailing on the ships!

Hi Maria,

There were 2 sets of numbers above our names. Neither one resembles what I know our loyalty numbers to be - so that's probably good news... at least I hope so !

That is good they are not loyalty numbers. I would not like any one having that number. They are not X or RCCL loyalty numbers? Being the are under the same parent Co.

Edited by geocruiser