What Are The Perks For Neptune Suite?

curtdesilets

I am fully aware that I am in very dangerous territory!! I have a budget to respect but I love the perks of flying in business class, I cash in my Aeroplan miles for business most of the time, of staying in 4 and 5 star hotels. I should have been born in a richer family but I probably would not appreciate it this much if it was given to me early on...haha....

I don't know if the fact that I am a 3 star mariner wieghs in the balance when they offer those upsells or they offer it to everyone who calls but I am sure glad we were able to snag one of those deals!!

I will go back to an inside for my next cruise but I have to say that Holland mostly has big insides so I don't mind staying in them. I will probably miss my suite but I love cruising too much to restrict myself only to those suites.

You are in VERY dangerous territory Cricri7!

We accepted a VERY affordable (less that what you paid for the double occupancy suite) upsell offer to an Aft Wrap Neptune Suite for our cruise on the Westerdam last month. Now DW has decreed all future cruises WILL be in a Neptune Suite. HAL knew exactly what they were doing with us, they sunk Neptune's Trident in deep and reeled us in to perpetual suite sailing.

So, when we decided to book a cruise for our 25th Anniversary in March, we book at the rate quoted in order to choose the cabin we wanted (Aft Wrap). It is just another level of cruise addiction!

The same here in that we book Neptune aft wrap suites at the going price. Last year, we took up sells on a B2B Pinnacle Suite and loved all the real estate.

So, in back in October 2013 we booked the Pinnacle Suite for our cruise in less than two weeks and no longer are look for any offers. It started with the Signature Suites and worked up from there. We did get four up sells from that type of cabin to Neptune Suites. After that, we booked that grade of cabin at the asking price (minus our discount from an online TA). HAL knew what they were doing to us too! ;-) That addiction hit us also.

However, I do miss the large aft wraparound verandah that we normally book on the Rotterdam Deck. We are going back to them on our next two HAL cruises.

We are doing a great job in spending our grandkids inheritance that was marked for them! We will leave them with a ton of HAL tiles!

Edited by kjw869

Your grand kids' inheritance....this is a good one....I say the same thing to my niece, I don't have kids, that she won't get too much from me when I die. However, I never go to the mariners' brunch so I won't even have the tiles to leave her...haha...

Your grand kids' inheritance....this is a good one....I say the same thing to my niece, I don't have kids, that she won't get too much from me when I die. However, I never go to the mariners' brunch so I won't even have the tiles to leave her...haha...

Well, my 15-year-old granddaughter will be with us on our cruise in a few weeks, so she's getting part of it while we are still alive!! ;-)

If you don't go to the lunch, they often leave them in your cabin. It has happened to us numerous times. If I'm not mistaken, I think they wanted you to RSVP by a certain time on the card they provided. Even though we were just on a cruise in February, my wife reads the cards so I'm not sure if they request that any longer. I do remember getting tiles in our cabin when we forgot to RSVP, but did attend the Mariner's lunch.

Always RSVP'd in time....

Never got a tile...

I am not one to talk about inheritance because I try to convince my parents to travel....to spend and to leave us nothing..haha...

Edited by cricri7
forgot something

I have an offer for an upsell to Neptune. Tell me about the breakfast i- what is the main difference in the dining room and Pinnacle breakfast?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by kjeanne2001

I have an offer for an upsell to Neptune. Tell me about the breakfast i- what is the main difference in the dining room and Pinnacle breakfast?

As discussed extensively in this current thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031666&highlight=pinnacle+breakfast

it is mostly about privacy, quiet and good service. Same menu as MDR, but the MDR is always open.

I do remember getting tiles in our cabin when we forgot to RSVP, but did attend the Mariner's lunch.

I'm curious. I've seen "tiles" mentioned before. What are they and does a passenger need a certain "status" to receive one?

Thanks!

I'm curious. I've seen "tiles" mentioned before. What are they and does a passenger need a certain "status" to receive one?

Thanks!

They are delft tiles of HAL ships traditionally. Thankfully this edition is my Stephen Card - very nice indeed :)

I highly recommend getting them.

As long as you are a Mariner, you are invited to the luncheon and they are passed out there. If you choose not to go, (only once did we not) then rsvp and ask for the tiles to be delivered to your room. They should be. If they are not, go to the front desk/concierge/whatever applies to you and ask.

If the ship has none left (it can happened) you can always email the Mariner's society and they will ship them to you

Thanks!

After you have completed your first HAL cruise, the next time you sail on HAL you will be invited to the Mariner brunch. That is where you get the tiles. These are the most recent ones:

2012 & 2013

2012_marinerTILE_01_sm.jpg 2012_marinerTILE_02_sm.jpg 2012_marinerTILE_03_sm.jpg2012_marinerTILE_04_sm.jpg 2012_marinerTILE_05_sm.jpg 2012_marinerTILE_06_sm.jpg

HM -- have you ever sailed on Princess, Cunard, Carnival, Costa, P & O? If so -- you are already a Mariner and should be invited to the Mariner Brunch and get your tiles.

There is no difference between the main dining room breakfast menu and the one in the Pinnacle.

The Pinnacle is quieter and the staff there get to know your preferences and pamper you.

We have never experienced the Pinnacle being closed any morning for breakfast in the last 6 or so years.

It was closed one time when we were disembarking in Vancouver and the ship was in Code Red and needed to do a deep cleaning.

Well, my 15-year-old granddaughter will be with us on our cruise in a few weeks, so she's getting part of it while we are still alive!! ;-)

If you don't go to the lunch, they often leave them in your cabin. It has happened to us numerous times. If I'm not mistaken, I think they wanted you to RSVP by a certain time on the card they provided. Even though we were just on a cruise in February, my wife reads the cards so I'm not sure if they request that any longer. I do remember getting tiles in our cabin when we forgot to RSVP, but did attend the Mariner's lunch.

On all recent cruises, our invitations ask us if we are going to attend the brunch -- I just check off "NO" and ask the concierges to have the tiles delivered to the cabin -- which they do.

It has been a long time since we went to the brunch -- don't care for the new menus or to have lunch at 11 AM.

Congratulations.

Hope you and your parents have a wonderful cruise in Alaska.

Thank you so much for your good wishes Sail7seas. My parents are getting older, 52 years of marriage this year, and I appreciate as I get older the fact that I still have them around to travel with me but also to see them often since we live so close to each other. I send you my condoleances or sympathies, I don't know if this is the right word in English...French is my first language, about the passing of your husband. You have lots of virtual friends here:)

Thank you so much for your good wishes Sail7seas. My parents are getting older, 52 years of marriage this year, and I appreciate as I get older the fact that I still have them around to travel with me but also to see them often since we live so close to each other. I send you my condoleances or sympathies, I don't know if this is the right word in English...French is my first language, about the passing of your husband. You have lots of virtual friends here:)

Thank you, Cricri.

My DH and I had 44 years of marriage and were together 47 years. Your parents (and you) are blessed to have so many years together. Here's wishing them many more in good health and happiness.

I will go back to an inside for my next cruise but I have to say that Holland mostly has big insides so I don't mind staying in them. I will probably miss my suite but I love cruising too much to restrict myself only to those suites.

I couldn't have said it better. If the budget says book an inside cabin for three cruises or a Neptune for one cruise, We will be back in the inside staterooms, ASAP! :D

I couldn't have said it better. If the budget says book an inside cabin for three cruises or a Neptune for one cruise, We will be back in the inside staterooms, ASAP! :D

I agree with your philosophy 100%.

In our current situation time is the limiting variable that keeps us normally cruising every other year so it is not possible to get more cruises in on our "fun" budget. If we had more time available I would do exactly as you do, if I could convince the DW!

Of course, everyone's situation is different, so to each their own.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I'll bite. What is special disembarkation service. Is it an assigned place with coffee and doughnuts while you wait for your number to be called just like all the other lines.

We have considered Neptune.

We don't see much value other than real estate, laundry, and just perhaps breakfast in pinnacle. The other attributes really do not have any value to us. We have had lots of time in hotel and airport private lounges. The muffins, cheese, and feigned exclusivity are not a draw for us-at least not for that kind of upcharge. A glass of free plonk either in our room or at a reception is not a draw for me...and DW does not drink!

We know how much laundry will cost and we are happy to buy our own wine. So it really comes down to real estate for us. We feel the same way on other lines as well. And since our cruises are usually 12-14 days the real estate never seems to be an issue. But we are upgraded to a suite on our Feb. cruise so perhaps our opinion of the incremental value of the real estate will change.

I got back last week from my cruise on the Zuiderdam in a Neptune suite and absolutely loved it! The biggest perk for me was the huge balconies we had since we had communicating rooms. An officer opened the partition for us, I have to say that I had locked myself out just after getting on board, and we had 2 huge balconies for us after he opened it. It was so nice to have all that outside space to go out and take pictures. Of course, a cruise to Alaska is a bit more chilly but I dressed warmly, put on blankets, got the binoculars...my camera....my Kindle...and I was as happy as a clam!

It was our first time in a suite and my parents loved different things than me. They loved being able to have breakfast in the Pinnacle grill. They found it less crowded and noisy than the Lido or the dining room. We are the same in the sense that it was nice to have a bigger room but it was not a breaking point in helping me decide to upgrade.

For myself, I liked going to have breakfast at the Neptune lounge...going to get a coffee or water during the day with the fresh fruit. The only thing I deplore at the Neptune lounge was the chilliness of the 2 concierges. I had trouble twice during the cruise, once with my mother's beverage card and another time with my billing. There were mistakes and I had to see them to correct the mistakes and they made me feel like it was my fault that an employee had made a mistake. I always try to be gracious to people. Treat people with kindness and usually the chilliness melts but not this time. I wasn't impressed by their lack of professionalism.

However, Norman, a waiter from the Pinnacle grill, was always there in the morning. Super cheerful and courteous even if he works very long hours!!! All the staff at the Pinnacle grill were wonderful. We had 4 dinners there and everyone makes you feel welcome.

I would book a Neptune suite again if I had the chance for an upsell like this time, but I prefer to cruise 3 times in an inside room instead of 1 in a Neptune suite:)

Edited by cricri7
correction

I got back last week from my cruise on the Zuiderdam in a Neptune suite and absolutely loved it! The biggest perk for me was the huge balconies we had since we had communicating rooms. An officer opened the partition for us, I have to say that I had locked myself out just after getting on board, and we had 2 huge balconies for us after he opened it. It was so nice to have all that outside space to go out and take pictures. Of course, a cruise to Alaska is a bit more chilly but I dressed warmly, put on blankets, got the binoculars...my camera....my Kindle...and I was as happy as a clam!

It was our first time in a suite and my parents loved different things than me. They loved being able to have breakfast in the Pinnacle grill. They found it less crowded and noisy than the Lido or the dining room. We are the same in the sense that it was nice to have a bigger room but it was not a breaking point in helping me decide to upgrade.

For myself, I liked going to have breakfast at the Neptune lounge...going to get a coffee or water during the day with the fresh fruit. The only thing I deplore at the Neptune lounge was the chilliness of the 2 concierges. I had trouble twice during the cruise, once with my mother's beverage card and another time with my billing. There were mistakes and I had to see them to correct the mistakes and they made me feel like it was my fault that an employee had made a mistake. I always try to be gracious to people. Treat people with kindness and usually the chilliness melts but not this time. I wasn't impressed by their lack of professionalism.

However, Norman, a waiter from the Pinnacle grill, was always there in the morning. Super cheerful and courteous even if he works very long hours!!! All the staff at the Pinnacle grill were wonderful. We had 4 dinners there and everyone makes you feel welcome.

I would book a Neptune suite again if I had the chance for an upsell like this time, but I prefer to cruise 3 times in an inside room instead of 1 in a Neptune suite:)

Thanks for reporting back.

Sorry to read that the Concierge staff were not pleasant to deal with.

OK, I'll bite. What is special disembarkation service. Is it an assigned place with coffee and doughnuts while you wait for your number to be called just like all the other lines.

I'd consider this perk to be of negligible value. Here's my reasoning, based on an SA on the Maasdam (Collector's Cruise) in 2012, and an SA on the Noordam (10 day Caribbean) in 2014.

Maasdam 2012 - We were assigned a number, Black 1 if memory serves. We ate room service breakfast and then reported to the Neptune lounge. By 8:30 am, our number had not been called. We asked the concierge to check in case we missed it. He phoned someone and told us that our number had not indeed been called. At 9:00 am, we were still waiting for our number. We asked the concierge again. It turned out that they had skipped our number. Net result: Neptune Suite self transit passengers were almost the last off the ship. On the plus side, it's really easy to find your luggage when yours are the only suitcases left in the terminal.

Noordam 2014 - After the stellar Maasdam disembarkation on our last cruise, we decided that we would simply leave as soon as they started calling numbers. The port side agents don't know anything about priority disembarkation - so they said. We were told to wait in a public room until our number was called. (We had Pink 1 this time.) We showed our room keys and were told that it doesn't matter.

Now I understand that other people might have had different experiences and that our experience isn't necessarily typical. However, based on what happened to us on two cruises in published fare SA cabins on our last two sailings, I would be inclined to say that the "priority disembarkation" in the brochure description is missing the word "low."

Not that I'm bitter.

We're only a few minutes from Port Everglades, so it's not a huge deal. In fact, I never mentioned it here on CC before. I would not attach a lot of value to the priority disembarkation. From what we've seen, it's not like the priority tendering - which actually is a benefit.

Edited by POA1

Glad you had a wonderful Alaskan cruise.

There have been times when we have had a couple of bad concierges -- it will happen.