New Toilets on Diamond

Lanwood

Could be for the Japanese market. In the bath houses typically there are hand held shower units rather than shower cubicles. If I remember rightly the correct ettiquete is to get wet then turn off shower, soap up all over, then rinse. Presumably to save water. I guess the hand held units help stop people standing under running water too long.

Could be for the Japanese market. In the bath houses typically there are hand held shower units rather than shower cubicles. If I remember rightly the correct ettiquete is to get wet then turn off shower, soap up all over, then rinse. Presumably to save water. I guess the hand held units help stop people standing under running water too long.

I suppose they are good for those who do not want their hair wet, but being tall that is a given in my case. I have to bend down to get under the shower head anyway.:D

I would be reluctant to use the device. I am not convinced by the merits of it and am not 100% convinced it is entirely sanitised and free from spreading bacteria to you.

Putting it delicately whatever water it sprays upwards has to come back down and that has to land somewhere.

No amount of fresh water is going to keep the nozzle clean. There would have to be some sort of bleach, disinfecting chemicals that would kill off the germs. Even then using bleach on the device could lead to skin irritation if traces of the bleach was left on the nozzle.

I would be reluctant to use the device. I am not convinced by the merits of it and am not 100% convinced it is entirely sanitised and free from spreading bacteria to you.

These have been in widespread use in Japan for many years and even in most households there.

They are also in many finer hotels around the world including the US and their acceptance grows each year.

I feel sure the stewards have been trained in the proper cleaning just as the other fixtures in the bathroom.

Mike:)

These have been in widespread use in Japan for many years and even in most households there.

They are also in many finer hotels around the world including the US and their acceptance grows each year.

I feel sure the stewards have been trained in the proper cleaning just as the other fixtures in the bathroom.

Mike:)

I agree, but I can understand Karateman's reluctance at using it. No harm done if he doesn't use the sprays.

i would be reluctant to use the device. I am not convinced by the merits of it and am not 100% convinced it is entirely sanitised and free from spreading bacteria to you.

Putting it delicately whatever water it sprays upwards has to come back down and that has to land somewhere.

No amount of fresh water is going to keep the nozzle clean. There would have to be some sort of bleach, disinfecting chemicals that would kill off the germs. Even then using bleach on the device could lead to skin irritation if traces of the bleach was left on the nozzle.

tmi.

tmi.

Probably, a bit.

But the main point at this stage of the thread would be that they are safe and clean to use, and Princess would not have installed them if they where not.

At the end of the day, there use is optional. No one is forced to use the extra features.

I have them on all my toilets and frankly I feel unclean when I have to do my duty somewhere else. I also use much less toilet paper now and I know I am cleaner.

I like the idea of my nether regions being rinsed before I pull up the underwear.

This is a hilarious (and informative) thread! :D Thanks!

I have to ask a question though - does one have to be sitting on the seat for the various buttons to work? I ask, because way back when I was a kid, that toilet would be an invitation to hide with the control and then ask my brother or sister to come in.....just as I press the water jet button.....devious, I know, but us kids were always doing such things to each other as jokes. :)

I have to ask a question though - does one have to be sitting on the seat for the various buttons to work? I ask, because way back when I was a kid, that toilet would be an invitation to hide with the control and then ask my brother or sister to come in.....just as I press the water jet button.....devious, I know, but us kids were always doing such things to each other as jokes. :)

LOL, now that would be funny as long as you were the one with the control and not the recipient of the spray.:D

Yes, most of them now come with a sensor so that the functions only work when you are sitting.

We spent 2 weeks in Japan last year - every hotel and public restroom that's not a squat toilet has the fancy electronic bidet system.

We liked it so much we bought one for our master bathroom right after we got home. You really can't knock these until you've tried them and you will likely miss them once you do. :cool:

And yes anyone that's seeing one for the first time will look very puzzled at it...

There seems to be a button for flushing a child...:eek: Or maybe it's for bathing a child?

I wonder what that actually does..??

Maybe it doesn't spray as much or as forcefully for a child. Just guessing since I have only seen photos of this toilet.

This thread is fun and different. :D

Cheers, Denise

One of the sushi restaurants we go to have these toilets - haven't used the functions except for heating the seat in winter ;)

Our Korean store has them for sale, it looks like the complete toilet and is around $500, didn't think it was just an attachment to an existing toilet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Oy, excuse the auto correct ;)

• 3 weeks later...

On our Diamond post cruise last October, we stayed at the Fairmont Beijing. They had this type of bidet in our master bath as well. I doubt a 5-star hotel would compromise on guest sanitation. Many countries offer bidets as well and don't seem to have such issues. If you have doubts or a problem with this, you can still do it "the old fashioned way". :D

I know it's a stretch to try something new...but come on. Yes, the heated seats are nice! ;)

the heated seats are nice! ;)

Oh, how the other half live...

I do find the heated seats in my car, after a few minutes of driving, give the feeling that one has "had an accident"....:p

Oh, how the other half live...

I do find the heated seats in my car, after a few minutes of driving, give the feeling that one has "had an accident"....:p

Well, at least when you are on the bidet with the heated seat you are in the right place if you have that feeling........:cool:

I have to confess that after reading this thread I succumbed to temptation and bought one of these bidet toilet seats for our en-suite at home. Not quite as fancy as the one Lanwood reported on though - no enema wash or child function.

I am very pleased with it. The heated seat is blissful on cold mornings.

The temperature of each wash function can be set, as can the pressure.

The dry function is a waste of time, unless you want to sit and wait for 5-10 minutes.

Mic, the deodoriser works very well.

Karateman, the nozzles retract under a shield when not in use and it would be almost impossible for them to be contaminated. Also the water starts flowing before the nozzle is fully extended, and it also goes through a self-clean after use.

They are a great invention IMHO! :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The dry function is a waste of time, unless you want to sit and wait for 5-10 minutes.

Congratulations on your new purchase.

Nice to know you'll be thinking of me during each wash and blow dry..:D

Could I perhaps recommend a good book for those spare 5-10mins...

Congratulations on your new purchase.

Nice to know you'll be thinking of me during each wash and blow dry..:D

Could I perhaps recommend a good book for those spare 5-10mins...

LOL!

No book recommendations needed, thanks all the same, my Kindle currently has 150 books in my TBR collection. :rolleyes:

I just sailed on the Diamond last week and my cabin had a plain old boring toilet (Bowl, lid, flush). So, it must depend on the cabin & type. There were only 900 of us on board, so I am surprised they did not move us to the renovated cabins so they could work on the others or such if they are eventually doing them all, but they probably do not have that crew onboard while sailing.

There was a separate large remote control on the counter top next to the sink, with an english/Japanese translation page next to it (as the remote language was in Japanese). The remote was removalable to pick up.

There where seveal options:

Water - Wash, Sprinkle or Spray. All three had extra features of pulsing or massage (I'm trying hard not to laugh while I type this) or you could have pulse and massage at the same time. Water had 3 different temperature settings. After, there was blow dry. With 3 different temperature settings.

The toilet seat was also heated with 3 different temperature settings.

I did take some photos, but short of popular public demand, I'll assume there are some photos people don't need to see on this respectable forum (oh, my stomach hurts from laughing)....:o