New Toilets on Diamond

Lanwood

• 2 weeks later...
That's pretty self explanatory I think. Thank you. Can't wait to use the loos in January.

These were in public restrooms on Diamond in August, but we're not working! Had just become used to them after a few days in Japan earlier. Loved the seat warmer. LOL

• 9 months later...

Does anyone have any recent news on toilet/bidet replacement program?

Has the rollout been completed throughout the ship, or are the new devices still only installed in suites, mini-suites, and some public areas (as was advised approx. 12 months ago)?

Does anyone have any recent news on toilet/bidet replacement program?

Has the rollout been completed throughout the ship, or are the new devices still only installed in suites, mini-suites, and some public areas (as was advised approx. 12 months ago)?

I think they are still only for suites, minis etc, and only when doing the Japanese cruises. They replace the toilet seat (which where all the bidet functions work from) with regular toilet seats if/when Diamond comes back to the Aussie region.

I think they are still only for suites, minis etc, and only when doing the Japanese cruises. They replace the toilet seat (which where all the bidet functions work from) with regular toilet seats if/when Diamond comes back to the Aussie region.

So that explains. Thanks.

I did a NZ/Aus cruise in March of 2016 on the Diamond, and the super potties were in some of the public restrooms but not in my regular balcony cabin.

Maybe they've decided to leave them in place then. I think they're great.

On 04 August in another thread (about 110/220v power outlets in cabins/suites) coo359a2 advised that "Just got off the Diamond today. We were in a mini suite on Dolphin deck."

In this thread a number of bloggers (incl. yours truly) have discussed the roll out of new Japanese-style toilets/bidets on Diamond Princess.

About 10 months ago we learnt that these new systems had already been installed in all suites, mini-suites, and toilets in some public areas.

Can coo359a2 advise if this roll out has now been completed, i.e. replacing older units throughout the ship, or are the new units still only installed in the areas I've listed above.

On 04 August in another thread (about 110/220v power outlets in cabins/suites) coo359a2 advised that "Just got off the Diamond today. We were in a mini suite on Dolphin deck."

In this thread a number of bloggers (incl. yours truly) have discussed the roll out of new Japanese-style toilets/bidets on Diamond Princess.

About 10 months ago we learnt that these new systems had already been installed in all suites, mini-suites, and toilets in some public areas.

Can coo359a2 advise if this roll out has now been completed, i.e. replacing older units throughout the ship, or are the new units still only installed in the areas I've listed above.

Just posted this on the other thread regarding the Diamond Princess

Friends were in a balcony BD and they had the regular toilet. Looked at one aft balcony by an aft suite and it also had the regular toilet. Don't use the public toilets so don't know what type toilet was in those. Nothing was said about changing out all the toilets for the bidet style.

The "new"toilets seats are very small - no wider that than DH's hand put side to side. Nothing like our elongated toilet seats. English instructions are placed above the actual button panel on the wall. It was nice to have a warm seat. Flush button is on the wall the same as all others and it shows closing the lid before flushing. Also, has a little light on the lid that changes from red to green.

They had these toilets on the Sun Princess in all the public toilets and (I understand) also in the suites. These toilets removed early last year when the decision was made not to take the Sun back to Japan. I had forgotten how small they were. :D The warm seats were nice, but I got caught with the bidet function when I went to the toilet after someone who had obviously activated the bidet then left the toilet. When a weight (me) was placed on the seat, the bidet started up again. I got quite a shock.:D

I have just come home from a 10 day cruise on the Diamond Princess where I had a suite (C400) which featured this type of toilet in the suite.

I encountered issues with them and will try to be as delicate as possible.

Being a gentleman who wears 32 inch trousers the seat opening was far too small. The back of the seat and cleaning nozzle would get extremely dirty making for a very embarrassing situation for myself by having to attempt to clean it before the steward found it. There was no possible way I could sit any further forward on the seat as being a gentleman certain parts of the male anatomy would be damaged. Upon learning that each time I sat down on the toilet there would be a mark on the back of the seat that managed to find its way into the spray nozzle I decided to place toilet paper in a complete circle around the rim of the seat. This did have an effect of at least catching it and preventing a dirty mark on the back of the seat. I did try other options such as leaving the lid up and squatting from a standing position but this was too painful on my knees which are already suffering from crepitis.

I just want to point out that I have no objection to the Japanese style seats in Japan. I have used them and they do have a wide opening in hotels and the cleaning effects of decent sized ones do leave you feeling more fresh. There are options like sound effects and odor control which exist in hotels and public bathrooms.

I feel that the seats Princess have ordered are far too small. It is impossible to sit on that toilet without the back of the seat getting dirty. For a male it is extremely uncomfortable as when sitting down you may need to pass fluid from other parts of the male anatomy at the same time which prevented sitting any further forward.

I have tried to keep this response as clean as possible and I have also written a review about the cruise on the site which was totally excellent. I do admit it was the first time I have seen these toilet seats on the Diamond Princess. Personally I would not use that nozzle given I know first hand what it can get covered in from other passengers.

Lastly I am by no means a large person. As I said I wear 32 inch trousers and only weigh 72kg.

I also do not want to see this post becoming a joke either as it is quite a serious issue and there are other people larger than myself who cruise and I imagine it would be quite embarrassing for them as well to mess up the toilet.

Brisbane 41,

I won't quote your post because it is close by and rather long, but I can see the problem you mention. I am certainly not making a joke of your comments.

I am only slightly heavier than you (and I do mean very slightly) and was very aware that I had to position myself carefully. :D I was quite happy that we did not have one of these toilet in our cabin - we weren't in a suite. :)