Princess Cay?

Ken Greco

It is a nice beach, but as reported the water's edge can be a little rocky. Once you get past the shoreline it's sandy. Water shoes are recommended. It is not crowded. Only one Princess ship is there at any time. Plenty of lounge chairs in sun and shade. When you exit the tender there is beach to the left and over a small bridge to the right. The right side has more rocks than the left. There are two BBQ lunch areas, one left and one right. The BBQ area to the right is less crowded, so you may wish to walk over there for lunch. The beach bar is on the left. Drinks are purchased with your cruise card. Try to be on one of the early tenders. They will issue tender tickets for the first few hours. After that no tender tickets required.

I've managed fine without water shoes. I guess if your feet are tender, they wouldn't hurt to have.

Our strategy on our last two times at Princess Cays has been to wait until mid-morning--after tender tickets aren't required anymore. We take the tender over, find a spot for our things, swim for half an hour, eat lunch (after the crowds have died down), swim again, then tender back.

On our first trip to Princess Cays we just hung around the beach like most people do. On our last trip (2nd visit) we booked the island tour that included lunch. We had an excellent tour guide, learned a lot about the island, and felt it was definitely the better of the two visits.

Just something to think about. :)

On our first trip to Princess Cays we just hung around the beach like most people do. On our last trip (2nd visit) we booked the island tour that included lunch. We had an excellent tour guide, learned a lot about the island, and felt it was definitely the better of the two visits.

Just something to think about. :)

How much did the "island tour" cost??

And how did the lunch compare to the BBQ buffet...we were not terribly impressed with the buffet.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Got off once in Princess Cay and we decided to go back to the ship. We do the same as Pam and stay on board and enjoy the ship. The B2B did it twice the last 2 cruises we were on. We wish it was once and another port with more to do. Were not much for laying around a beach would rather sit and read on our balcony or get a spa treatment, hot tub when things aren't busy on the ship.

We actually quite like the island. We always wait until mid morning to tender ashore and have always been able to find lounge chairs - although admittedly, we haven't looked for them in the shade.

The beach sand is not the whitest white, but the water is crystal clear. I like to snorkel, DH doesn't, so I make sure he is comfortable and then hit the water with fins and mask (I bring my own gear which is nbd since I live by the port - no way would I pack it if I were traveling by air)

We then take a nice long stroll along the shoreline (we never use our water shoes although it can be a somewhat rocky) and do a bit of exploring. The further you go along the shore, the less crowded it is, but then again, you are farther away from all the amenities. When we have had enough fun in the sun (we only stay for a few hours) we head back to the ship. We do not eat the barbecue lunch (we tried it once and that was enough for us) so we usually have a late lunch/snack once we are back on board. We find the offerings at Trident Grill or Horizon Court far more appetizing.

We have never rented clamshells or the air conditioned cabanas and have never felt a need for them either. However, we do know some people, who spend the entire day on the beach, who love to escape into the a/c and/or out of the sun.

Edited by hllwdcruiser

We've never had a problem finding a place to sit in the shade ... but we are quite fond of going the Banana Beach Bar. Normally, there are two men playing oldies and island songs. If you buy the new alcohol sticker, it can be used at Princess Cays. :D

LuLu

How much did the "island tour" cost??

And how did the lunch compare to the BBQ buffet...we were not terribly impressed with the buffet.

I don't remember the cost. it was through Princess, so you could look it up on their website. Can't compare the lunch because we never had the BBQ...always seemed like more trouble than it was worth with the crowds. The lunch was not huge, but it was enough, and it was at a very small local restaurant and was very good. A 'native' dance called the Junkanoo was performed by locals after the meal.

We would definitely recommend the tour. Plus it's great not just to learn about the locals, but to support them by taking the tour instead of spending the whole time in the Princess compound.

I think Princess Cay is a nice beach day. It's got all the good things you go to the Caribbean for, sun, white sand, blue water, palm trees... We usually skip the food, sometimes long lines, better on ship. If you go beach combing you may want some shoes, but swimming and snorkeling is fine without. I can't imagine staying on ship when you've got all that beautiful beach to play on. :rolleyes:

Edited by philv

I don't remember the cost. it was through Princess, so you could look it up on their website. Can't compare the lunch because we never had the BBQ...always seemed like more trouble than it was worth with the crowds. The lunch was not huge, but it was enough, and it was at a very small local restaurant and was very good. A 'native' dance called the Junkanoo was performed by locals after the meal.

We would definitely recommend the tour. Plus it's great not just to learn about the locals, but to support them by taking the tour instead of spending the whole time in the Princess compound.

I also took this tour and enjoyed it. We visited a local elementery school and the children entertained us with Christmas songs. At the lunch spot, I got to try the Gumbay Smash, not sure if I have the correct spelling, it's a famous Bahama drink and it was excellent!

I felt my time was better spent doing this than sitting on a beach, but to each his own.

Sue

We've been there a few times ;), and I have lots of info and photos on my blog:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/Princess%20Cays

There is even some information there on how to do a hike to the southern end of Eluethera, which is good for repeat visits.

After following you for the past three years - living my winters through you, this just made me laugh!

If you haven't gone to her blog site, DO IT NOW! She spends about 10-12 days a year on that island! She knows it, forwards, backwards, and in-between!

Have a great cruise!

Thanks!

Do they allow the locals to sell stuff? Have you ever bought anything?

The locals sells souvenirs and trinkets right outside the gate to Princess Cays. You'll need cash there, and to take a drivers license. They won't let you leave without the photo ID.

We've been there a few times ;), and I have lots of info and photos on my blog:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/Princess%20Cays

There is even some information there on how to do a hike to the southern end of Eluethera, which is good for repeat visits.

Thanks for posting the link to your blog. I noticed the link for your BVEs and enjoyed reading your reports. We are hoping to do one soon. I'll enjoy reading more of your blog & seeing more of your photos later!