Cut backs on Elite Breakfast (Coffee Break)

CruisingChick

How much more segragation can a ship have? Suite dining, elite breakfasts, blu for Aqua guests, Micheals for VIPs, speciality restaurants for those happy to pay extra.

It may make those eligible feel wanted but those just starting to enjoy Celebrity......makes us feel like second class passengers who's custom isnt valued. Sounds like there isnt anything in the Elite breakfast that isnt available elsewhere so is it the ability to eat away from the masses ( those that paid less or who have cruised less) that appeals? Why is Celebrity so obsessed with the 'class' of its passengers and so desperate to reward them? I thought Cunard were the cruise line for those who were class obsessed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only one that can make you feel second class is you. If people weren't so obsessed with what others get, there would be no problem.

Funny, when people bring up the Elite perks, that only a portion get, as segregating, they are told the Elites earned it. Seem to me the problem is that some cant accept the fact that there is something the are not invited to and now it is class separation...hmmmm!

How much more segragation can a ship have? Suite dining, elite breakfasts, blu for Aqua guests, Micheals for VIPs, speciality restaurants for those happy to pay extra.

It may make those eligible feel wanted but those just starting to enjoy Celebrity......makes us feel like second class passengers who's custom isnt valued. Sounds like there isnt anything in the Elite breakfast that isnt available elsewhere so is it the ability to eat away from the masses ( those that paid less or who have cruised less) that appeals? Why is Celebrity so obsessed with the 'class' of its passengers and so desperate to reward them? I thought Cunard were the cruise line for those who were class obsessed.

You can have those things too. Just pay for them. Most cruise lines have specialty dining. Most cruise lines have perks for past guests. The more cruises you take the higher the perks. It's not just Celebrity. Maybe you need to search out one of the few cruise lines that don't offer the above.

interestingly, no-one has mentioned the delightful almond croissants!!!! that is a highlight for me, along with my double expressos.

I really hope it hasn't changed too much, I have always enjoyed the quiet yet friendly ambiance, along with the CC host to chat with.

We are going on the Summit, May 11th so I will be happy to report back - actually we were supposed to have been on the repositioning (have done it quite a few times) but work schedules interfered this year!

mygreyhound66....I'm with you! the almond croissant(s)...buttery and still warm fresh from the oven, are our favorites as well....then it's cappuccinos for us.............then when my wife leaves.............I have mimosas...............:D

You can have those things too. Just pay for them. Most cruise lines have specialty dining. Most cruise lines have perks for past guests. The more cruises you take the higher the perks. It's not just Celebrity. Maybe you need to search out one of the few cruise lines that don't offer the above.

I agree.

There's a big difference between price or profit separation and segregation due to intentional discrimination.

If I was told or heard that I am not allowed to book in a certain class class or get the same service due to race, gender, income, family history, sexual orientation, or accessibility (for an American run company), then I'd call it intentional discrimination. To me, that would mean I would consciously choose to go with another company who treats me like a valued customer and good riddance to discriminating companies without a backwards glance.

Perhaps certain resources like cruisecritic have made you aware that different people have access to different things aboard Celebrity and this leaves a bad taste in your mouth before you even board the cruise? Respectfully, I'd approach this differently and choose to experience the cruise like I am blissfully unaware of any differences and if I do feel discriminated against due to a lower price cabin or new status member, then be upset and choose my next action accordingly. It is a vacation, after all, and hopefully you're going to enjoy yourself. If I didn't think I would enjoy myself then I'd spend my money elsewhere. Personally, I find it really aggravating when I don't do the right thing for me and even more infuriating when I end up wasting my hard earned money because of that.

Now, I'm grew up in a relatively young country, am from an immigrant family, and historically the less paid gender for same job, so I do think I am aware of when I am being unfairly treated as different from others on basis of merit and ability regardless of gender or ethnicity. I'm also younger end of the cruising age spectrum and certain word connotations have very serious meanings, historical baggage, and implications for me so I try to take care when I use certain loaded words like "segregation". Or someone tells me I'm supporting a company which supports segregation.

If I feel less valued as a passenger by a travel business than the loyalty passengers that's because, profits-wise, I probably am. I don't give the company as much business or make them my first pick. If the service for a "no status peon" isn't up to an acceptable level and value, as determined by me, then I'm certainly not going back if there are other choices which may suit my needs. That's also part of the their business which should provide adequate value and service if there's sufficient competition in the same price range or product offerings.

If the company chooses to broadcast my lack of status to other passengers and continually reminds me of the things I'm being denied in a snide manner, like a bullying older sibling, then I might feel neglected and lesser. However, unless you come to this board often, are told of what you're missing by passengers with status, or read the website's loyalty program extensively, I don't feel a new to Celebrity cruiser would really notice that they don't get certain perks like elite breakfast or elite happy hour unless they happen to stumble across it. It isn't as if Celebrity is putting the schedule in your room and crossing off the things that you're not invited to with a big red marker. Or if you show up at Michael's club for Elite breakfast and are not elite, they treat you in a derogatory and insulting manner to "go to the bottom of the ship".

On my first Celebrity cruise which was in AQ, I went prepared with plenty of cruise critic research and was pleasantly surprised about how pleasant passengers were and how unobtrusive most of the premium offerings were. I'm coming up on my third Celebrity cruise and can honestly say that "Celebrity cruisers definitely aren't as snobbish as they come across as on CC" was a sound piece of observation shared with me during my first X cruise from another first timer. The sales pitch to buy up is there, to purchase specialty meals, beverage packages, or pictures, but never to the point that I felt a secure adult would feel uncomfortable with a polite 'No Thanks'.

S-class specialty dining restaurants are removed enough from the buffet and main dining room that non-suite and non-Blu guests might not even notice that some people are exiting on a different floor. They don't make a separate line for Elite members at the iLounge for internet sign-ups, though the boarding procedure does have different lines for cabin level and loyalty status. The regular line is sometimes faster than elite lines and there's usually more non-suite counters than suite counters due to non-suites outnumbering the suites.

Edited by travelpeon

I beg to differ with the others who have commented on Kevin's post. I think he has a valid point for folks who are new to celebrity and/or are new here at Cruise Critic. One of the reasons I liked cruising initially was that everyone was equal...it didn't matter if the folks next to you owned a multi billion dollar company or were on welfare..they were just people enjoying themselves. There were options for a reasonable fee, open to all. No one knew what type of cabin you were in, no one cared.

I think it's changed a bit...don't nickle and dime these comments...it has changed. We have Blu...and that's not an option for everyone. We have the elite cocktail hour and breakfast..that's not an option for everyone (and on some cruises that can be 1/3 of the ship). now we have a new suite dining room and suite/zenith lounge..not available to everyone. There are areas of the ship where a newcomer is not welcome. That is a different feeling then when I started cruising. Cruising in earlier days had first class, second class, steerage and they were physically walled off so you didn't have to mingle. Now we have suite guests and aqua guests with their own restaurants, etc. No, it's not all equal now...and I can easily understand why someone new could feel like a second rate citizen if they booked a normal cabin.

It's far easier to say "oh no, you can just pay and get the same experience" than to put yourself in the place of a new cruiser and do some introspection on how you would feel in today's Celebrity.

Well stated Travelpeon. I sometimes wonder why people are so worried about what others may have rather than enjoying their own experience. I guess it's the age of entitlement. When I was a young person I was excited to "pay my dues" and work towards bettering myself and my life. If you can't enjoy what you have today, you will never enjoy what you have tomorrow because when it gets here, it will be today.

Edited by Ma Bell

I beg to differ with the others who have commented on Kevin's post. I think he has a valid point for folks who are new to celebrity and/or are new here at Cruise Critic. One of the reasons I liked cruising initially was that everyone was equal...it didn't matter if the folks next to you owned a multi billion dollar company or were on welfare..they were just people enjoying themselves. There were options for a reasonable fee, open to all. No one knew what type of cabin you were in, no one cared.

I think it's changed a bit...don't nickle and dime these comments...it has changed. We have Blu...and that's not an option for everyone. We have the elite cocktail hour and breakfast..that's not an option for everyone (and on some cruises that can be 1/3 of the ship). now we have a new suite dining room and suite/zenith lounge..not available to everyone. There are areas of the ship where a newcomer is not welcome. That is a different feeling then when I started cruising. Cruising in earlier days had first class, second class, steerage and they were physically walled off so you didn't have to mingle. Now we have suite guests and aqua guests with their own restaurants, etc. No, it's not all equal now...and I can easily understand why someone new could feel like a second rate citizen if they booked a normal cabin.

It's far easier to say "oh no, you can just pay and get the same experience" than to put yourself in the place of a new cruiser and do some introspection on how you would feel in today's Celebrity.

True, but I still believe that they the overall cruise experience for a first time cruiser is top notch and great value. I think the more you cruise the more removed you are from the "wow" factor. It is one on the reasons that I like to try new ships.

Today we vacation many differently places and rarely pay the top dollar for the highest level experience, but I view it as a choice I make. I never feel bad for my choice. Although I can afford most things I cannot afford everything thus I make choices.

Bottom line is you might be surprised at how great first time Celebrity cruisers feel. I have traveled with many who were very impressed.

All the things that were available to me when I first started cruising are still available today, plus better accommodations and lot's more included offerings. Anyone can dine in Aqua or Suite dining rooms. They have the option to buy those cabins. As far as any perks offered to long time loyal cruisers, they really aren't anything particularly special and they certainly should offer something to people who have spent a lot of time and money with one business. Everyone has that opportunity as well. I wonder if someone 25 would want to be 60 so they could have a breakfast in the Elite Lounge. And by the way, I still have no idea what kind of a cabin anyone has unless they insist on telling me.

Edited by Ma Bell

I'm not suggesting that what celebrity is doing is wrong....I'm suggesting that I can understand someone new on board feeling that they aren't part of "the group". You know....there was a "group" in your high school and probably in your "college" and so on. When everyone is on a level playing field, it's easy to join the impromptu group on a cruise. Once you start to have different activities that are exclusive to some, it's not so easy to just join in "the group". I've been in both places at different times....and I'm just reaching back into my feelings which allows me to understand the poster's comments. If you are in "the group" it very easy to dismiss anyone's comments that they feel left out. (that applies to the cruise, your social life, your high school life, etc).

Correct. But its about segregation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote

You can always choose a cruise line that does not have a tier system w/perks..,,although most do... as do hotels, all inclusive resorts, car rental agencies, airlines, restaurants

u can book a suite or AQ or concierge class or family staterooms...depending on your needs, taste and budget...to some it is more about choices

I've never had that feeling that there's a "group" on a cruise. I meet all kinds of people and for the most part I couldn't tell you if they've been on one cruise or a hundred. It's not part of the discussion.

A bit off topic but aside from enjoying the mini breakfast buffet, smoothies, espresso etc, I also wanted to mention how beautiful Tuscan is during the daylight hrs......for breakfast or teas

The light coming into the room really enhances the beautiful decor and colors...very pleasant...at night it seems a bit dark..Celebrity designers did a great job with this space and we enjoy going there...

A bit off topic but aside from enjoying the mini breakfast buffet, smoothies, espresso etc, I also wanted to mention how beautiful Tuscan is during the daylight hrs......for breakfast or teas

The light coming into the room really enhances the beautiful decor and colors...very pleasant...at night it seems a bit dark..Celebrity designers did a great job with this space and we enjoy going there...

Yes, it really is a beautiful room.

I'm not suggesting that what celebrity is doing is wrong....I'm suggesting that I can understand someone new on board feeling that they aren't part of "the group". You know....there was a "group" in your high school and probably in your "college" and so on. When everyone is on a level playing field, it's easy to join the impromptu group on a cruise. Once you start to have different activities that are exclusive to some, it's not so easy to just join in "the group". I've been in both places at different times....and I'm just reaching back into my feelings which allows me to understand the poster's comments. If you are in "the group" it very easy to dismiss anyone's comments that they feel left out. (that applies to the cruise, your social life, your high school life, etc).

I do think most of the cruisers I've met onboard Celebrity are well socialized and friendly people who aren't clique-ish. I've cruised with people who are well known in RCCL/Celebrity CC boards and never felt like they were trying to exclude me, a newer cruiser, in any manner. If anything, they've provided solicited advice in a lot more of a friendly and egalitarian manner than I can and also invited me to join them for meals and activities.

Your observation probably is a point Celebrity should be aware of and keep an eye on to make sure the "vibe" doesn't become elitist and snobbish. Though I think they have bigger issues to fix at the moment. Namely what the OP observed as a perception of dilution of loyalty benefits which might result in some high profit loyalty members choosing to cruise with other companies. It's happened to United Airlines, for example, and now their Newark based pilots want a change in management.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12689098/1/exclusive-united-airlines-newark-based-pilot-leaders-call-for-ceos-ouster.html

Many of the recent posts on this board, perhaps from the displeased who are usually the loudest, have a distinctly disheartened tone voiced loyal Celebrity cruisers. Whether the displeased cruisers are profitable or not (therefore desired or not) isn't something I'm aware of.

Perhaps it is callous to put it this way, but are not most of us adults? This isn't a kid's birthday party or a group of high school girls. Why does everyone need to be invited to everything? I get that I'd feel bad if I was excluded but I'm also an adult who has the social skills to ask if I can join a group or choose to join others who will want to socialize with me. Honestly, I've felt that most of the CC'ers I've met onboard aren't introducing themselves with their loyalty levels and a printout of their "past cruises" on signatures... They've all said hello politely, asked me to join them for meals, or stopped to chat.

Like Ma Bell, the only time I've noticed someone's cabin or loyalty status is mostly when they've told me. And I found it fascinating when we went on a cabin crawl! The largest suite shown belonged to a young family with sticky toys stuck all over the windows and honestly, I can't even guess at their income level because no one was crass enough to ask how much the cabin was or what their occupations were. I also saw an inside cabin that had more storage space than my AQ and also saw exactly how close regular verandas are outfitted to AQ. Every single person showing their cabin was gracious and welcoming. One suite had cookies from their butler laid out, the inside cabin had a great selection of yummy nuts they had brought.

Cabin level is certainly in no way an indication of wealth. We several friends that will only book inside cabins, but they probably spend at least 3/4 of the year on ships.

The many "millionaires next door" don't show off their wealth, and most get to were they are by living with a certain degree of frugality.

I don't recall ever running into anyone on Celbrity that I would call a snob or elitist.

Our last cabin crawl ended in a suite and was hosted by a lovely couple. They threw a real party, lots of appetizers and many bottles of champagne. It was a milestone birthday and they were splurging. We had a ball :D

Problem I have is that most didn't complain about Blu or Elite perks, until the suite perks were announced and now it is class segregation. No one complained that venues were closed for the Elite cocktail party, but close a venue for suite passengers and it is the end of the world. Doesn't some of the complaints seem a little disenginous since it only really amped up with the suite perks.

Edited by NLH Arizona

My first cruise was 12 nights on the Century in the Med in 2010, and I was hooked. I have cruised enough on Celebrity since then to have achieved elite level, and it's currently my favorite way to vacation.

I also have done all-inclusive resorts and regularly stay in hotels for both work and personal travel -- and each time I decide whether to pay more for a higher level experience or if I am happy with a more moderately priced accommodation.

I confess I am puzzled why this is such a big deal on this board -- if I choose to pay more at a hotel, I can have a suite and superior service and special perks, sometimes even special drinks or dining rooms. If not, I get a perfectly nice standard room and use the money saved for some other purpose. I don't feel second class if the latter, or superior if the former, I just enjoy the experience I contract for.

Same thing if I decide to pay extra for business class when I fly versus coach (though I use points to upgrade and don't actually pay biz class rates!!!).

Why would we expect it to be different on board a cruise ship? I do understand that some people want things to stay exactly as they are accustomed to, but that isn't a viable business model. I hope they find a vacation/travel option that gives them pleasure if they truly cannot go with the flow.

As someone who is new to the Celebrity experience (only one cruise with them) I ask you do you really want to be around a bunch of people who have been fortunate enough to have had enough disposable income to be able to afford the wonderful cruises that they have taken only to listen them whine and moan that they cut out the capers, smoothies and lox from their elite perk? I welcome the segregation. I would rather be oblivious not knowing what I am missing or have missed and having the time of my life in steerage then being with a bunch of disappointed elite or elite + passengers.

Well if the cut things back anymore I won't be sailing on Celebrity.

I have been reading of cut backs and changes for a while and even before Tuggers posted this about the Elite Breakfast I said to my DH that this upcoming cruise on Summit might be our last.

As someone who is new to the Celebrity experience (only one cruise with them) I ask you do you really want to be around a bunch of people who have been fortunate enough to have had enough disposable income to be able to afford the wonderful cruises that they have taken only to listen them whine and moan that they cut out the capers, smoothies and lox from their elite perk? I welcome the segregation. I would rather be oblivious not knowing what I am missing or have missed and having the time of my life in steerage then being with a bunch of disappointed elite or elite + passengers.

You don't need to leave, the Elite will.

Some of you people really have to get a life if you feel that how the food is served is a big deal or how fast your coffee is refilled is important. The Elite breakfast is a nice little perk and is not meant to stuff you to the gills and let you stagger out half in the bag after free drinks. It's meant as a nice place to start you day in a relaxed atmosphere while enjoying a "light" breakfast snack. If you need more then go to the MDR of buffett and get what you need.

Absolutely right on!

I like the new concept, similar to a nice higher end hotel. How much more can one eat for breakfast than on three tiers! As for cut backs, try Princess, after last weeks cruise on the Crown I would never stray from Celebrity again. One of my worse cruises of over 85 cruises

I like the new concept, similar to a nice higher end hotel. How much more can one eat for breakfast than on three tiers! As for cut backs, try Princess, after last weeks cruise on the Crown I would never stray from Celebrity again. One of my worse cruises of over 85 cruises

It kind of depends on what's on the three tiers, doesn't it.

For those with allergies, it's either a) a real problem or b) more work for the staff to put together an acceptable plate, that is if you can find a waiter (remember that celebrity is trying to reduce staff). For those that want more salmon for their bagel (I use the term bagel loosely, but I digress), they have to find a waiter (again, those folks that we see less of these days)...and so on. With limited staff, buffets work far better...so this is a mysterious change, if it is actually something that's rolling out.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd read into this rumored change that it's more like a nice high end hotel but perhaps I've been staying in the wrong 5 star hotels for the past many years.