Can I purchase my own on board credits?

My husband and I decided to apply money for birthdays and anniversaries towards OBC's. Is there a way to add money periodically, throughout the year to go toward OBC's?

With Princess, one would just log on and it had the option easily. I can't find any way to do it through RCCL....unless I am just missing something.

I've never been "on hold" for more than a min.....if you are, hang up and try again in a minute or two! Tell them to send you an e-mail reciept.

This is generally true in my experience as well....BUT...with this current sale, there have been astronomical wait times. Our vacation planner's ougoing voice mail message, this past Friday, actually said since the phones were so busy he couldn't return any calls and we should just call back and wait our turn on hold :(

I would not use the gift certificates because they are a two step process. Just bite the bullet and call the number given above.

Edited by clarea

If you purchase gift certificates they MUST be redeemed BEFORE you board. They can not be taken aboard and applied then, just FYI

In addition to that, they must be applied at least 10 business days before departure date.

My husband and I decided to apply money for birthdays and anniversaries towards OBC's. Is there a way to add money periodically, throughout the year to go toward OBC's?

With Princess, one would just log on and it had the option easily. I can't find any way to do it through RCCL....unless I am just missing something.

We have gone onboard and made a cash payment to out account it's very easy and you can do it any day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, its called a savings account. You can open one at your bank or try something online like CapitalOne360.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Yes, its called a savings account. You can open one at your bank or try something online like CapitalOne360.

lol , yeah i dont get it either. maybe they can buy a prepaid visa and use that at check in if they are tring to stick to a budget or not careful how they spend on board.

lol , yeah i dont get it either. maybe they can buy a prepaid visa and use that at check in if they are tring to stick to a budget or not careful how they spend on board.

I'm not sure if they take pre-paid cards for your onboard account...I know they don't take Visa gift cards or cards like that...

Edited by kc320

For many cruises I just add money to the CC I am going to use on board. I start with a credit on the card and come home to a smaller bill. This way if you do have anything left as a credit on your seapass you don't have to stand in line to get the cash back at the end of the cruise.

Edited by beej

I have savings and checking accounts. I just wanted to keep it separate and be able to see it build on my account. It is part of the anticipation.

We also have family members that would add to it....not to a savings account.

I have savings and checking accounts. I just wanted to keep it separate and be able to see it build on my account. It is part of the anticipation.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with pre purchasing on board credit so dont let anyone tell you otherwise and dont listen to those who are snarky or smart alec about it. Its YOUR money, not theirs!

I do it for every cruise and it works like a charm. It shows up on your onboard account on day two of your cruise. You can charge up to 500.00 on a 7 night cruise before they ask you for any money and by that time your prepaid OBC should show up as a credit.

Call the Gifts and Gear # above and its as easy as can be. Its a totally different phone line than calling to book a cruise. The wait shouldnt be long at all.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with pre purchasing on board credit so dont let anyone tell you otherwise and dont listen to those who are snarky or smart alec about it. Its YOUR money, not theirs!

I do it for every cruise and it works like a charm. It shows up on your onboard account on day two of your cruise. You can charge up to 500.00 on a 7 night cruise before they ask you for any money and by that time your prepaid OBC should show up as a credit.

Call the Gifts and Gear # above and its as easy as can be. Its a totally different phone line than calling to book a cruise. The wait shouldnt be long at all.

Thank you....:)

You can certainly do it by calling the number that someone else gave above. We typically put our 'gifts' in an envelope and take the cash with us... We lock it up somewhere safe so we don't touch it for the everyday stuff. Then, we go to Guest Services on Day 2 of our cruise (after all of the Day 1 traffic at the service desk has thinned out) and apply what we want to pay toward our onboard account. It is extremely simple and they are very quick at Guest Services on the ship. Just a thought... :)

We have gone onboard and made a cash payment to out account it's very easy and you can do it any day

Ive done that before with left over money. Being from Canada I dont want to hold on alot of US Money. I am sure when you board you can give them whatever you want in cash and then use your creditcard for the rest

Just open up a sub account that you can manage online. Keep your money yours until you incur charges. Why waste that money months ahead of time; you may not even use it all. At least if it is in a savings account you can access it in an emergency. And if family gifts you cash or a check it's a trip to deposit it anyways.

I keep sub accounts for certain goals. Mint.com is totally free and it provides goal tracking on those accounts too. Very simple and awesome budgeting tool. No time on the phone. No concerns over wasted money.

Of course, that's just what works for me and only a suggestion for you.

You can certainly do it by calling the number that someone else gave above. We typically put our 'gifts' in an envelope and take the cash with us... We lock it up somewhere safe so we don't touch it for the everyday stuff. Then, we go to Guest Services on Day 2 of our cruise (after all of the Day 1 traffic at the service desk has thinned out) and apply what we want to pay toward our onboard account. It is extremely simple and they are very quick at Guest Services on the ship. Just a thought... :)

That's another good way to deal with it if you want to take cash gifts and turn them in to OBC. Least amount of work, IMO.

Please don't let smart ass people put you off!! I agree the little extra here and there builds excitement and it you pay a bit extra ahead or when you get onboard it's fun it's like spending found money and not like expecting an every day bill when you get home. Don't stress enjoy and do what works for you. No matter what some people say here everyone has their own little way of paying for and working out the wrinkles of their own trip :)