Bring Back the Soap Campaign

Roses2

We just returned from a 15 day TA on the Emerald Princess. It was a great cruise --- But we had to bring real soap and shampoo from home since Princess stopped providing real bars of soap and shampoo without conditioner.

We are sending an email to Princess Customer relations requesting Princess return to providing real bars of soap and plain shampoo.

I wonder how many would join us in sending an email to Princess requesting it revert to its earlier policy .

The Princess email is: customerrelations@princesscruises.com

We had bars of soap on the Emerald Princess last winter. They were the skinny bars, and they were allotted out one to a cabin but more was available upon asking. I'm shocked they've stopped supplying even that now! How do you wash your hands at the bathroom sink- grab some shower gel from the shower each time?

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

How can they not provide soap in your bathroom?
They have shower gel in the shower and tiny bars of soap at the sink. I just asked for more of the little bars of soap. And, I brought my own shampoo. I don't want to use tacky communal dispensers.

I, too, am hoping they bring back the individual shampoo's and conditioners. But it seems most cruise lines are going the way of the dispenser. We were just on HAL and they switched to dispensers also. I really dislike the dispenser idea.

We did not mean to give the impression there was no soap.

The usable real bar of soap that Princess has been providing for at least the past 10 years, has been replaced by a teeny, tiny, skinny bar that only can be used to wash ones hands in the basin.

This soap is not up to Motel 6 standards.

We prefer liquid soap to bars of soap. We take a bottle with us for the bathroom sink.

You will probably find it is more cost affective too as they have to throw away open bars of soap. You don't need to do that with dispensers.

Never going to please everyone so if you do have a preference I would always take it with me.

I will send an e mail to Princess about the shampoo/conditioner/soap situation.

My hair was a tangled mess on the cruise we took on the Crown last December. I was not prepared for the changeover of the bath products that took place in the middle of that cruise, so I had to use the available products. On future cruises ,I will be sure to pack my own brands!

Not sure that Princess will change the present product policy though, because the use of the dispensers is an environmentally responsible change. I am sure that is a cost effective measure as well.

But, always good to let a corporation know what the customers do and do not like.

Don't see what all the fuss is about over some soap. :eek: We have always brought our own bar of soap for the shower along with our own shampoo and conditioner. It doesn't take up any space when packing. We never liked the scent of the eucalyptus stuff.

Perhaps Princess should compensate you for having to pack your own toiletries!! :rolleyes:

Blame all the people who daily would ask the steward for more soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion and are now selling it on Ebay. I wonder how long before someone takes the large containers off the shower wall and tries to sell them!

Wow! call me crazy, but I have no problem with the dispensers and I use the tiny soaps in the shower-and they work-which means I must not be that big after all:D

Now I feel so much better!

We actually prefer the dispensers. As for the bars of soap....ask for more. We never had a problem getting more of it. We also bring what we want from home. I highly doubt that Princess would revert back to the little bottles. It is not cost effective nor is it environmentally friendly.

We just returned from a 15 day TA on the Emerald Princess. It was a great cruise --- But we had to bring real soap and shampoo from home since Princess stopped providing real bars of soap and shampoo without conditioner.

We are sending an email to Princess Customer relations requesting Princess return to providing real bars of soap and plain shampoo.

I wonder how many would join us in sending an email to Princess requesting it revert to its earlier policy .

The Princess email is: customerrelations@princesscruises.com

We where on the emerald across the Atlantic too, did miss the shampoo bottles, the in shower dispensers felt a bit cheap to me. We did a b2b so where on the 10 day Caribbean before hand, strange thing was on the transatlantic we received an elite bathroom amenities but not on the 1st leg, we did switch cabins but why that happened I don't know.

I would expect that using the dispensers is as much about their environmental program as it is about cost. Just imagine how many small bottles and partially used bars of soap that they had to dispose of. Even if the shampoo bottles were fully emptied it still probably totals 3-5000 per seven day cruise.

We where on the emerald across the Atlantic too, did miss the shampoo bottles, the in shower dispensers felt a bit cheap to me. We did a b2b so where on the 10 day Caribbean before hand, strange thing was on the transatlantic we received an elite bathroom amenities but not on the 1st leg, we did switch cabins but why that happened I don't know.

I was also on the Emerald TA and I did not get the elite bathroom amenities but quite honestly there isn't anything in those that I really use or miss so I didn't bother asking for them. I'm sure if I had asked my cabin steward would have supplied them. As far as the soap goes, I asked for an extra bar and stuck two bars together for the shower. They stayed stuck together and that worked well for me. I can see the practicality of the smaller bars since it generates much less waste from used bars being discarded at the end of the cruise.

I was also on the Emerald TA and I did not get the elite bathroom amenities but quite honestly there isn't anything in those that I really use or miss so I didn't bother asking for them. I'm sure if I had asked my cabin steward would have supplied them. As far as the soap goes, I asked for an extra bar and stuck two bars together for the shower. They stayed stuck together and that worked well for me. I can see the practicality of the smaller bars since it generates much less waste from used bars being discarded at the end of the cruise.

Oh I know the elite amenities is a waste, I do like the lip balm though, why we got one on leg to was my thoughts.

We prefer liquid soap to bars of soap. We take a bottle with us for the bathroom sink.

You will probably find it is more cost affective too as they have to throw away open bars of soap. You don't need to do that with dispensers.

Never going to please everyone so if you do have a preference I would always take it with me.

Ditto this. We always take our own liquid soap dispenser. Not a fan of bar soap, but I do think Princess should provide it. We just prefer to use liquid hand soap as we do at home. I'm sort of an OCD germaphobe and feel like the liquid soap foams up more and does a better job of thoroughly cleaning my hands.

Good luck but I don't think anything will change. Princess is saving a lot of money by not providing the bottles and endless amounts of soap. My new plan is to collect any small shampoo/conditioner bottles I receive from hotel stays through the year and then bring those on the cruise with me.

I, too, am hoping they bring back the individual shampoo's and conditioners. But it seems most cruise lines are going the way of the dispenser. We were just on HAL and they switched to dispensers also. I really dislike the dispenser idea.

I wouldn't mind the dispensers if the soap and conditioner were separate products and, more importantly, were decent and didn't leave my hair looking and feeling like a bird's nest.

We did not mean to give the impression there was no soap.

The usable real bar of soap that Princess has been providing for at least the past 10 years, has been replaced by a teeny, tiny, skinny bar that only can be used to wash ones hands in the basin.

This soap is not up to Motel 6 standards.

Oh no! In my book its no soap, its a joke. :rolleyes:

Its not even up to those standards. :mad:

I'd be very surprised if they considered a change given the investment in the changeover.

I have no problem with the dispensers as a concept, I haven't used the new ones yet to comment on the contents. The amount of product wasted in those small bottles are ridiculous (many hotels donate the partially used product to shelters and the like), and they are actually more sanitary than bar soap (if maintained properly - a key point). And yes, they are cheaper overall (not as much as you would think though, as people tend to use more product overall from dispensers)

Most commercial grade products are formulated for 'average' PH balances etc on hair and skin, so some people will need to bring their own if the formula doesn't work for them.

---

Because I know someone will ask - Dispensers are generally more sanitary because your hands rarely make contact with the residual product (you pump it on to a hand, thus touching only the bottle exterior. Plastic and metal where applicable are less conducive to bacterial growth so as long as they are wiped down regularly and any residue removed from the spout they are pretty poor germ mediums. The average bar of hotel soap is a germ farm after one use - most do not use antibacterial soap.

Don't see what all the fuss is about over some soap. :eek: We have always brought our own bar of soap for the shower along with our own shampoo and conditioner. It doesn't take up any space when packing. We never liked the scent of the eucalyptus stuff.

Perhaps Princess should compensate you for having to pack your own toiletries!! :rolleyes:

Blame all the people who daily would ask the steward for more soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion and are now selling it on Ebay. I wonder how long before someone takes the large containers off the shower wall and tries to sell them!

:eek: Selling it on Ebay...what next !

I feel the quality of the shower gel is poor at best. In addition, the dispenser is difficult to reach if you are taking a bath. A possible solution would be to provide bottles of shower gel for cabins with bath tubs. I think I would be willing to pay a bit more for better products. I also think the majority would like to not have to think about or pack these items

Would it be any better if Princess installed liquid soap dispensers at the sinks?

I also think the majority would like to not have to think about or pack these items

I disagree. A lot of people, especially ladies, like a particular brand or type of toiletries. They would prefer to have them.