Bring Back the Soap Campaign

Roses2

No scent in either the shampoo/conditioner or the body wash. LOW BIDDER, BEAN COUNTERS ARE DISTROYING THE PRINCESS EXPERIENCE, IT SHOWS MORE EVERY TIME WE GO. VERY FOLISH, THEN AGAIN CARNIVAL ISN'T THE BRIGHTEST BLUB IN THE BAY....:mad::mad:

Since I'm allergic to many scents, I welcome the change to non-scented soap/shampoo.

On my Coral Princess cruise in Dec. to the Panama Canal, they had transferred to shower gel dispenser in the shower. I did tried it but found it to be very dry on my skin and made me itchy. I did ask the steward for some bars of soap. I got one bar( much smaller compared to the old ones) of soap and transferred back and forth from the shower to the sink. The shampoo dispenser was a combination of shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo didn't clean and the conditioner didn't make it easy to brush my hair. Luckily, I brought my own shampoo and conditioner. I encountered the same experience last month on the Ruby Princess and assume in a week and a half I will be on the Golden Princess to Alaska and expect the awful shower gel and shampoo/conditioner. I guess what bothers me the most is not that they decided to change but I doubt if anybody ever tried the products to see what they were going to present to their passengers.

Sali

Or could it simply be they realize a lot of people don't like or are allergic to some scents and thus neutral works for more people. You can always add perfume or cologne after, you cannot get off the lavender stench from the soap from the hotel I was just at.

The effects of the scents in the former Princess supplied soap and shampoo is nothing compared to the effects of the perfumes worn by many of the passengers.

The cruise lines cannot raise fares enough to cover costs, because people stop paying. If you cannot increase revenues, you cut costs and add ancillary fees. This is one way of doing so which actually has some environmental benefits, so good for them.

If you are going to complain about cost cutting, stop looking for price drops, bringing your own liquor on board, taking private excursions, etc. You don't get to have both sides of the equation.

Well said Loonbeam. That is the bottom line or me as well. Most of the cruises that we book are in my mind, unbelievable bargains compared to anything else out there for what you get. The price of the cruise is very well controlled and the only way to accomplish that is by controlling their costs. It's a balancing act though. I bet they will improve on the products in the dispensers as many don't seem that happy with it. The dispensers were a good move from an environmental and from a cost reduction angle.

I do find it somewhat surprising that people think it is okay to load the entire collection of soaps and shampoos into their suitcase every day. A nice supply was left to be used while onboard, not to be taken home to hopefully get someone through until their next cruise!

Soap and shampoo are a minor thing that in no way makes any difference for us in the Big Picture. it wont change who we prefer to cruise with considering the bargain that we find cruising to be and the overall experience on Princess.

Terry

The effects of the scents in the former Princess supplied soap and shampoo is nothing compared to the effects of the perfumes worn by many of the passengers.

In addition to non-smoking, I wish for scent free zones! A lady got on an elevator and I was in the back, I literally had to hold my nose from the overwhelming amount of perfume. Some marinate in it.:eek:

In addition to non-smoking, I wish for scent free zones! A lady got on an elevator and I was in the back, I literally had to hold my nose from the overwhelming amount of perfume. Some marinate in it.:eek:

That's when I say, "Nice perfume, but did you have to marinate in it?"

Mike:)

Yes!!! I dread formal night because everyone is doused with their favorite scents. The men are just as bad as the women. I have decided the stairs are my only option those nights.

I have often wondered about the wasted soap from all the hotels across the country. People open a bar of soap for the sink and another for the shower, use each of them once or twice, and then they must just end up in the landfill. It seems such a terrible waste.

Of course, having said that, I too dislike having a dispenser in the shower instead of "real" soap. :rolleyes:

As for shampoo / conditioner I'm allergic to most scented products. I bring my own. I will never understand why everything has to have some kind of horrid perfume added.

this is what they do in Las Vegas : http://www.cleantheworld.org/

Thank you for that information. It has seemed to me that this is something that was needed badly. I just figured that the "ewwww there are germs!" people would make this unlikely. Of course I knew there was no reason for that particular fear but people can be unreasonably afraid. I'm very happy to hear about this. (Yes, I'm probably a weirdo but...)

Scented soap, lotion, hair spray, cologne, etc. And some people like to use all of these with the same scent all at the same time. I'm not really invested in the new toiletries argument since I always bring my own, but I did like the Eucalyptus soap. The smell reminded me of cruising, so I used to take some home to use later.

You can always add perfume or cologne after, you cannot get off the lavender stench from the soap from the hotel I was just at.

Lavender stench? I didn't know there was such a thing. Lavender is my favorite fragrance; eucalyptus definitely was not. Which just goes to prove your point, I think.

As for scent in an elevator, I would never say anything, as it's not my job to police others' actions. However, the rapid onset of my sneezing might convey the same message anyways.

Lavender stench? I didn't know there was such a thing. Lavender is my favorite fragrance; eucalyptus definitely was not. Which just goes to prove your point, I think.

As for scent in an elevator, I would never say anything, as it's not my job to police others' actions. However, the rapid onset of my sneezing might convey the same message anyways.

Maybe it wasn't Lavender. :eek:

No scent in either the shampoo/conditioner or the body wash. LOW BIDDER, BEAN COUNTERS ARE DISTROYING THE PRINCESS EXPERIENCE, IT SHOWS MORE EVERY TIME WE GO. VERY FOLISH, THEN AGAIN CARNIVAL ISN'T THE BRIGHTEST BLUB IN THE BAY....:mad::mad:

I think we got your very vibrant point the first time. And while I tend to agree with you that Princess isn't the premium line it used to be, I wonder how much more you're willing to pay for your cruise fare to bring back some of the stuff you're missing. You're absolutely right, the finance folks have a heavy say about what goes on with Princess and they do it for a good reason - to keep the cruise line in business. I'm not so hot on soap and shampoo dispensers either, but I understand what Princess is trying to do...and frankly I've been bringing my own since 1996.

Oh, it was lavender. The package clearly said 'Lavender Boquet" I knew it would be bad when the bathroom had the aroma of flowers before I opened the package, but I had not brought my own and really hoped it would fade by the AM. Not so much.

Maybe it wasn't Lavender. :eek:

I've read of people booking freighter cruises and doing that same thing. One lady made draperies for her home while she was at sea...she used the mess room tables between meals. She claimed it was her one chance at dedicated time to do it. I can understand that.

At one time some of the theme cruises involved machines for quilting and crafting. Now it would be prohibitive with airline fees.

Princess is truly dumbing down things. The bean counters are ripping apart all the special little things that made Princess special. From the scented shampoo, conditioner and lotion to the poor design on the Royal and the regal, these people are making it just an old Chevy, instead of the proud shipping line it once was. Those special amenities' were always something to look forward to. Just like the dinner menu items that are no more, plane jane is all these empty minded bean counters can think of.. Very disappointing.!!!:mad::(

Walmart sets the pace. It is becoming a "Walmart World."

Ain't nothing wrong with Wal Mart. If people want a Nordstrom experience, they have to pay the price. I can't understand why people are complaining about cost cutting measures and then, in the next breath, complain about the high cost of cruises. They go to great lengths to smuggle booze on board, book the cheapest cabin and try to wangle upgrades, they do private excursions and complain about everything trying to snag a free bottle of wine. All cruises lines are in it to make a profit. A lot of us have achieved Elite and enjoy the benefits, which are the best of all lines. (IMHO) Princess allows us to stack OBC's. These things cost money. So take your pick........low cost cruises with bennies or luxurious soap!

Just tossed a bar of bath soap into my carryon. :) Those tiny bars of soap are ok for hands but not so good for the rest of me. Shampoo / conditioner isn't a problem since I always bring my own anyway.

I do understand getting rid of all the little bottles - it's got to lessen the amount of trash the ship has to handle.

Much of Walmart sells exactly the same products that are available elsewhere at higher prices. The lawn mower you buy there or the cereal box you purchase is not diminished in quality.

What cruise lines are doing is eliminating many of the small touches that made cruising on a particular line extra special. In the Princess example, this has included no longer making crepes at the Champagne waterfall, no longer having two "welcome aboard" cookies in your cabin on embarkation day, having a "body wash" liquid for the showers instead of a decent size bar of soap, etc.

This is not a Wal-Mart world, it is switching to a Dollar General Store world where the products are no longer available.

I will definitely miss the old products. I liked the scent, and it didn't bother my allergies like some scented products do. Lavender would kill me!

I have a question about the effectiveness of the shampoo. I'm taking my kids this summer, and I have two long-haired boys. Does the shampoo work well for long, oily hair? I know I will have to bring them conditioner, since they absolutely need it, and I'm sure the "conditioning" shampoo won't be good enough. I just need to know if I'll have to pack shampoo also.

I will definitely miss the old products. I liked the scent, and it didn't bother my allergies like some scented products do. Lavender would kill me!

I have a question about the effectiveness of the shampoo. I'm taking my kids this summer, and I have two long-haired boys. Does the shampoo work well for long, oily hair? I know I will have to bring them conditioner, since they absolutely need it, and I'm sure the "conditioning" shampoo won't be good enough. I just need to know if I'll have to pack shampoo also.

IMO, no it doesn't. :(

Never lathers up.

Much of Walmart sells exactly the same products that are available elsewhere at higher prices. The lawn mower you buy there or the cereal box you purchase is not diminished in quality.

What cruise lines are doing is eliminating many of the small touches that made cruising on a particular line extra special. In the Princess example, this has included no longer making crepes at the Champagne waterfall, no longer having two "welcome aboard" cookies in your cabin on embarkation day, having a "body wash" liquid for the showers instead of a decent size bar of soap, etc.

This is not a Wal-Mart world, it is switching to a Dollar General Store world where the products are no longer available.

Wow! Making crepes at the waterfall and welcoming cookies?!? I wish I had been able to sail in those earlier days. Makes me wonder if the next to go will be the cookies and milk in the afternoon and during MUTS.... :( It's the special touches that made me love Princess in the first place and even though I have only been sailing the line a few short years as compared to most, even I have seen a decline in several areas. Too sad.

I trust your opinion. I'll be packing shampoo for them. Luckily we aren't flying, so luggage space/weight isn't a concern.

How much shampoo are you bringing? How much does it weigh???

The shampoo probably doesn't lather up because it's a shampoo/conditioner combo which usually is lower in phosphates which cause the lather. The boy's hair will probably look pretty sweet.

Edited by bdjam