Bringing a fan on board?

I sleep with a stand fan cranked up at home... it's more about the noise than anything, but also the air flow. On prior cruises (Carnival), we have not brought a fan of any kind with us and I've found it VERY VERY difficult to sleep. The one exception was when we had an aft balcony (before kids) and left the door open to hear the ocean breeze, coupled with the vibration from the engines or whatever was under us... We now have babies/toddlers, so leaving the door open is definitely not an option now.

Anyone know if bringing a small (5-6"??) fan on board would be allowed on RCCL out of San Juan?

We just did the Jewell out of San Juan on April 19th and I had my fan and I believe it's closer to 9 " ( I can't sleep without it!) I was concerned as I had read some people have had theirs confiscated but this was cruise #6 on Royal and I have never had my fan taken!

I bought a slim fan at Bed Bath Beyond. It is a 10" fan that runs off a cord OR batteries. Important, the cord is a power pack which disconnects from the fan. I leave the power pack unplugged from the fan base when I pack it. No issues yet. It's fairly quiet fan (almost too quiet) but it does give a little white noise and moves air nicely. It has a built in USB port too which is kind of nice for charging devices.

If it were a hardwired plug I am not sure if we would have problems, so I specifically looked for one with a disconnecting power pack.

http://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-NEW-Battery-Operated-Adapter/dp/B00ATSHMIQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1399349949&sr=1-4&keywords=02+cool+fan

My BF and I each bring one. We bring battery operated fans that are SUPER light weight and easy to pack. If you keep it on low it will last the entire week on 2 D batteries, but I keep it on high so I bring a couple replacements. It makes enough noise and moves a good amount of air. I aim it toward my face and put it on the bedside stand.

Also, if you keep your door open it messes with the entire zone of A/C for several rooms. It's hard work to get rid of the humidity. Which is why there's a sign on most ships asking that you not keep the door open. Usually hidden behind the curtains. :eek:

http://www.amazon.com/O2cool-Battery-Operated-Portable-Fan/dp/B007GB3WGK/ref=pd_sim_hg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZXGHP28GC298Q5Q0X9M

Edited by bighairtexan

We have a small plug in fan , 8" maybe? That we have taken on about 6-7 cruises with no issue.

It generates a nice air movement but more importantly gives a little white noise hum that we appreciate, blocks out a lot of minor noise in the background.

If it's more about the noise than the air movement, what about a sound machine?

Or if you have a smart phone you can download sound machine apps. I have one called Relax Melodies, it was free and makes rain, wave, wind, storm, music or any combination of them. It's a free download.

The only reason I was considering taking a fan onboard was to use on our Central Park balcony on Allure, after I heard those balconies 'might be hot' since it is not 'open' to the sea and breezes from the ships movement.

After reading comments that these balconies are no hotter than typical OV balconies, that bake in the sun -- I have decided not to bother bringing the fan.

If it isn't for 'air movement' to keep you more comfortable -- it would seem something to create 'white noise' would be a could solution.

I never struggle with the noise on a cruise ship.....I actually sleep very well, from the soft motion of the ship and its own rhythmic sounds.

Bought an alarm clock that has multiple sounds, one is white noise!

I tried it here at home, and oh man.........do I love it!

I will NOT cruise without it. I can not sleep without it!

It is so soothing!

Bought it on ebay for like twenty some odd bucks.

So worth the investment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bought an alarm clock that has multiple sounds, one is white noise!

I tried it here at home, and oh man.........do I love it!

I will NOT cruise without it. I can not sleep without it!

It is so soothing!

Bought it on ebay for like twenty some odd bucks.

So worth the investment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed! One of the best things I ever bought from Sharper Image (remember them?) was a small "sound soother" travel alarm. Doesn't have as many options as the larger models, but it works for me. :cool: (I'm a very low-tech person, so apps don't help me.)

You should just take Ambien like everyone else...

LOVE your comment. I'm not a good sleeper and use a fan too. Ambien would help but I'm afraid I'd mizx the cruise and sleep the whole time! ;-)

Sent from my QMV7A using Forums mobile app

Would a white-noise app on your phone be a lot easier to pack if you want it mainly for the noise? You can set the temperature in your room, so no need to pack a fan just for the noise. Most white noise apps have a pink-noise setting which is great for sleep.

I've brought the ones from walmart thats around 9" round and never had a problem, I just put them in my suitcase and it goes on through. also I my son brings his sound machine (just in case :)

Fiancee and I sleep with a fan blowing for the noise each night at home and on car-based vacations, but for cruising and air-travel trips we have a small sond machine and choose the white noise sound. While we are more used to the sound of a fan motor, it is a lighter and smaller alternative. This is the specific one we use, the Homedics SoundSpa: http://www.homedics.com/soundspar.html/?utm_source=GoogleBase&gclid=CIjkvI2tmr4CFVEOOgodFl8Abg