Kings wharf

Consider a public transportation day pass. Bermuda has an excellent publuc transportation system which covers both buses and ferries. Reasonably priced too.

We are going to kings wharf July 18th on the grandeur. Can anyone tell me how much taxis are to any of the beaches or shopping? First time there. And any suggestions?

Happy Mother's Day !

Thank you

You can catch a public bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach steps away from where Grandeur will dock.

about 2 pm eastern time Grandeur will arrive today in Bermuda

http://www.portbermudawebcam.com

Despite what everyone said about the buses, I have had unpleasant experiences with them. They are VERY crowded and generally the A/C doesn't work well or at all. These make for one hot ride.

I do not recommend taking a bus from Kings Wharf, but rather take the ferry to Hamilton (same transportation pass mentioned above) and then, if you must take a bus from the bus station there, it is a couple block walk from the ferry terminal. More buses, more often, and a shorter ride to most of the beaches.

Personally I ferry to Hamilton then take a taxi cab/van, relatively speaking they are inexpensive and even more so if you can share with someone else.

We are going to kings wharf July 18th on the grandeur. Can anyone tell me how much taxis are to any of the beaches or shopping? First time there. And any suggestions?

Happy Mother's Day !

Thank you

On the same itinerary as you. Join our roll call - link below. Information regarding bus and ferry routes is linked there as well.

Other information regarding things to do there also.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1921776

Edited by leaveitallbehind

we just got back from Kings Wharf aboard the Explorer (May 3rd)...We purchased 2 day transportation tickets for ourselves and our 2 kids....It was $25 for the adult ticket and I believe less for the kids....It covers...bus, Ferry, (Ferry is great!!)...You can purchase your passes right when you get off the ship ..they have a booth....Enjoy your trip!

I have not looked at your itinerary. However, many Grandeur cruises to Bermuda arrive on Sunday afternoon. You need to be aware that taxi cabs have a 25% surcharge on Sunday.

Go with public transport. We did not find them uncomfortable. They have "special" buses from the dockyard to Horseshoe Bay. It is a 15-20 min direct trip [and back].

Happy Mother's Day !

Thank you

sawyershane....we are also on your july 18 cruise on grandeur. Both links for taxi info.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00008a.htm

http://www.bermuda4u.com/transport/taxis/

Bus Fares: http://www.bermuda4u.com/transport/buses/bus-fares/

Edited by middvillmom

Happy Mother's Day !

Thank you

forget the taxi. get a day pass at the stand just at the end of the Pier. the bus and ferry system is as good as Metro/light rail.

forget the taxi. get a day pass at the stand just at the end of the Pier. the bus and ferry system is as good as Metro/light rail.

I hope you will come back and tell us your transportation adventure. Reading the quote above made me recall the horrible time I had with those busses. When we got to Bermuda, there was an NCI ship that had gotten there just before us, they were already docked and letting people off, say 2000 people. Then EOS docked and let another 2000 off, so basically there were 4000 people standing in the blazing sun, 104 degrees, for hours to get on about 6 busses. People were literally passing out, the medical teams from both ships were out there bringing people back to the ship, including my brother who couldn't leave the air conditioned ship until that night.

I hope you will come back and tell us your transportation adventure. Reading the quote above made me recall the horrible time I had with those busses. When we got to Bermuda, there was an NCI ship that had gotten there just before us, they were already docked and letting people off, say 2000 people. Then EOS docked and let another 2000 off, so basically there were 4000 people standing in the blazing sun, 104 degrees, for hours to get on about 6 busses. People were literally passing out, the medical teams from both ships were out there bringing people back to the ship, including my brother who couldn't leave the air conditioned ship until that night.

That certainly is very unfortunate and not a pleasant experience. On our two times there in the past two years we did not experience that and in fact found that they added a number of "special" buses as direct transit to Horseshoe Bay Beach that avoided any of the local stops en route. The buses also kept coming and going in rotation to handle the passengers wanting to use them.

I'm not saying there was no wait but it was not unusually long, and certainly not the hours that you report. We have had to wait longer to board the ferry as those are more fixed in their schedules and with two ships in port people would make their way to the pier early. But even those situations were manageable and we were able to board the ferry we wanted without a problem.

We will be there again as well in July - I will let you know if our experience is any different then.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

That certainly is very unfortunate and not a pleasant experience. On our two times there in the past two years we did not experience that and in fact found that they added a number of "special" buses as direct transit to Horseshoe Bay Beach that avoided any of the local stops en route. The buses also kept coming and going in rotation to handle the passengers wanting to use them.

I'm not saying there was no wait but it was not unusually long, and certainly not the hours that you report. We have had to wait longer to board the ferry as those are more fixed in their schedules and with two ships in port people would make their way to the pier early. But even those situations were manageable and we were able to board the ferry we wanted without a problem.

We will be there again as well in July - I will let you know if our experience is any different then.

These were dedicated buses too, but we were 45-50 mins to our beach, Horseshoe too, as I recall. Stop and go traffic, and it was impossible for us to make any additional passenger stops as were double stacked in the seats and every available standing area full.

I was there last July and I could see that their system had improved over my previous experience. They had too, no one would go there unless it got better. I had sworn off Bermuda after my first trip, but RCI made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so I just decided to swear off their buses.

Luckily we are there 3 days so if the first day does not go well we will change our plans for the next. But for me I am on vacation and am in no hurry. Famous last words. lol

Everyones suggestions have been very helpful. Thank you