HAL just exceeded all my expectations

Lovely other

Wow I am so in awe of HAL's customer service today that I had to put it out here.

We had to cancel our cruise at very short notice. I have had a sudden health issue that I believed would be resolved long before I cruised but alas it wasn't to be. After cancelling our cruise just over a week before sailing you'd think that'd be it, money down the pan. Especially as I'd forgotten to move our travel insurance standing order over when we switched banks ...ooops!

Well I just had a lovely email that has made this very dark cloud lift ... HAL are happy to move our booking to another date as long as its within 6 months and is for the same price or less that we paid originally. So as I sit here in a not too bad but still depressing hospital room I shall read my travel guides to the Baltics and Norway and smile :)

Wow I am so in awe of HAL's customer service today that I had to put it out here.

We had to cancel our cruise at very short notice. I have had a sudden health issue that I believed would be resolved long before I cruised but alas it wasn't to be. After cancelling our cruise just over a week before sailing you'd think that'd be it, money down the pan. Especially as I'd forgotten to move our travel insurance standing order over when we switched banks ...ooops!

Well I just had a lovely email that has made this very dark cloud lift ... HAL are happy to move our booking to another date as long as its within 6 months and is for the same price or less that we paid originally. So as I sit here in a not too bad but still depressing hospital room I shall read my travel guides to the Baltics and Norway and smile :)

Nice to hear HAL came through for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW! that is really incredible.

I think that is very fair for you. Nicely done indeed.

Now, take care of yourself, get well soon so you can go on that new cruise:D

I just had to cancel a cruise on very short notice. I never thought about asking if such a thing was possible to do. Both Amtrak and Delta, where I had reservations also in connection with the cruise, did something like what you experienced.

I have travel insurance so the "lost" money for the cruise will be recovered.

I'm impressed considering they refused to do that exact thing for my parent's cruise less than a month ago when my dad suddenly couldn't travel due to an emergency situation with his eye. (Detached retina).

They insisted that my parents either cancel and lose the cost of their cabin or my mom continue on their annual anniversary cruise with someone else. My sister can't go, her students have their AP exam, my aunt is already in Seattle with her twin, so I have had to juggle my pre-Finals schedule and student teaching around in order to take this cruise.

I'm still not sure why my parents couldn't rebook on a southbound repositioning cruise. I mean, really?

Get well soon so you can enjoy your trip.

I'm impressed considering they refused to do that exact thing for my parent's cruise less than a month ago when my dad suddenly couldn't travel due to an emergency situation with his eye. (Detached retina).

They insisted that my parents either cancel and lose the cost of their cabin or my mom continue on their annual anniversary cruise with someone else. My sister can't go, her students have their AP exam, my aunt is already in Seattle with her twin, so I have had to juggle my pre-Finals schedule and student teaching around in order to take this cruise.

I'm still not sure why my parents couldn't rebook on a southbound repositioning cruise. I mean, really?

I'm sorry to hear about your parents disapointment, and I hope your Dad has recovered. Maybe it depends purely on the luck of who you speak to at the time unfortunately as I have heard so many tales similar to yours. The lady we spoke to was from HAL in the UK and was so very sympathetic about my problems. I have had to have an emergency hysterectomy due to problems from a miscarriage some weeks ago.

It's a shame that they can't be more consistent in their decisions particularly as cruises seem to be often sailing with plenty of space left these days.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents disapointment, and I hope your Dad has recovered. Maybe it depends purely on the luck of who you speak to at the time unfortunately as I have heard so many tales similar to yours. The lady we spoke to was from HAL in the UK and was so very sympathetic about my problems. I have had to have an emergency hysterectomy due to problems from a miscarriage some weeks ago.

It's a shame that they can't be more consistent in their decisions particularly as cruises seem to be often sailing with plenty of space left these days.

I am so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through this difficult time.

Excellent customer service.

Exactly how you keep customers loyal.

Someone made a 'common sense' decision instead of going by the book. Very refreshing.

Edited by iancal

To the OP: I am so very sorry for your loss. Hope you recover fully and quickly.

To the readers: Perhaps the offer to OP was due to her being in the UK and booking thru HAL UK. We know they have very different booking rules than in the USA and perhaps this is part of it? I have no official knowledge, of course.

I think HAL UK handles things differently than what the HAL US does.

In 2011, just a couple of days before our cruise, I fell and broke my wrist in 2 places and definitely could not go on the cruise. Thankfully HAL had that new insurance deal and we got 90% of our money back.

In 2010 we had a different insurance company and lost everything when our house was heavily damaged in a massive snow storm. The insurance company expected us to just walk away with blue tarps on parts of the house and go on the cruise.