Hump or Aft balcony?

It's a totally personal decision. Do you want the large balcony afforded by the aft stateroom (with the long walk back), or the convenience and unique viewpoint of the hump stateroom.

I just got back from 9092 on Jewel, a hump with an extra large balcony.

9092balc.jpg

I did walk back to the corner aft I originally wanted, it was about 40 yards more of a walk. I could be happy in either.

I have never stayed in a hump balcony but I have visited a couple. I have stayed in two aft balcony cabins. I would take the aft over the hump for two big reasons. First, the hump cabins are right off the atrium/elevators and sometimes you will get noise either from things happening in the atrium or because of all of the foot traffic associated with being so close to the elevators. The aft cabins are way away from everything so they are generally more peaceful. Second, with a hump cabin, you can only see what's happening on one side of the ship. If you're on the starboard side and the land is on the port side (or vice versa), you never get to see the land. With an aft balcony you always get to see the land.

We really enjoy the convenience of being on or near the elevators and stairs....during the day, you tend to run back and forth to the cabin more than in the evening....makes life easy!!! On the Radiance class ships, that hallway is REALLY LOOOOOOOOOOONG...it becomes a pain!

Edited by cb at sea

Ok I see it this way:

1. Hump lets you see fore and aft. Which is nice...a nice view. Close to everything.

2. Aft have bigger balconies, plus with all the food you're going to eat (c'mon we all do it!) you'll get lots of exercise! I like the privacy of an aft room. Yes I know there are cameras on the balcony. Found out the hard way. ;)

On our 9 cruises we've always been in hump cabins and loved them. The location is great, near the stairs and a few flights up or down to pool/windjammer, promenade, etc. As someone noted, on Radiance class you will get some noise from music in the atrium. We've never experienced any "foot traffic noise" or other problems related to traffic.

That said, we just booked a JS near aft on Serenade, primarily because we wanted our first JS. And also booked a corner aft on Adventure. Variety is the spice of life!:D

Pretty much the bottom line:

Location close to everything, maybe some noise and traffic: Hump (and MAYBE a large balcony though most aren't).

Privacy, large balcony, long walk: Aft

I do think the "view" factor for humps is greatly overated here. People who say it's great for "seeing forward and aft" are exaggerating, you're still pretty much just looking out at the water. When you look forward or aft you're seeing two things: water and a whole bunch of balcony's.......

Edited by bouhunter

Thanks for all the advice. I went ahead and changed to aft. The walk does not bother either one of us. we try not taking elevator while on a cruise. The rep I talked to said how great cabin this is and could not believe there was one available. Think I will love this change.

We have stayed in rear AFT deck 10 balcony and JS cabins on Voyager class ships. They are our favorite cabins...period. Never had a soot issue, but some vibration from the ships screws, minor, in my opinion. No issues with noise from Windjammer. Have a great cruise! SB

We really enjoy the convenience of being on or near the elevators and stairs....during the day, you tend to run back and forth to the cabin more than in the evening....makes life easy!!! On the Radiance class ships, that hallway is REALLY LOOOOOOOOOOONG...it becomes a pain!

The walk from the elevators to the aft cabins is a little over 300 ft. Yes, I paced it off. It is a long walk but we enjoy it...it helps burn off some of those calories that seem to pile up while we're on the ship.

We had #1320 on the hump when we sailed on the Mariner of the Seas. It was fantastic! The balcony was unbelievable. The location was convenient as well.

My wife made a slide show with pictures she took of this room for her website.

If you're interested, you might like to look at it. Here's a link

#1320 hump cabin on Mariner of the Seas

We will try a aft balcony room sometime. Most people really enjoy them.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Intresting timing for this thread. Just this morning, I changed from a hump balcony deck 10 to a rear aft balcony, Deck 10 on the Liberty.

We only have two cruises under our belt & we were on the hump balcony deck 10 both times (different ships), so we wanted to change it up a bit. We're looking forward to the view but I'll admit, waking the length of a football field each time we go to the room does sound daunting, but we'll see!

Tried both... Once in the aft was enough for me. Was hotter back there and woke to soot each morning. Didn't like the location either.

We always book the hump when it's available. Love them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums