Onboard Eclipse Now. Big cutback in Classic Package Inclusions!

kevinyork

Easy solution, stop being a penny pincher or upgrade to premium package and stop complaining.

As I said in another post, this stinks of "bait and switch" and I have a feeling you would change your tone if it happened to you while buying a car. And it is against the law in many places.

Burt

I personally agree with your decision and your view that it's great value - you won't be sorry. The molecular bar drinks are $12 before the 15% gratuity - on European cruises, the price lists show the price with the 15% added in. You will not have to pay extra. Enjoy!

Thank you for this, and I'm sorry if I appear terminally stupid but ....

The wonderful Preismans on their eclipse diary of last year have a copy of the bar menu listing the molecular cocktails at $13.75 a go. So that's not going to be covered under the premium package with or without the 15% service charge!!

Help!!

thank you for this, and i'm sorry if i appear terminally stupid but ....

the wonderful preismans on their eclipse diary of last year have a copy of the bar menu listing the molecular cocktails at $13.75 a go. So that's not going to be covered under the premium package with or without the 15% service charge!!

Help!!

$12 x 0.15 = $13.80

$13.75 < $13.80

Thank you for this, and I'm sorry if I appear terminally stupid but ....

The wonderful Preismans on their eclipse diary of last year have a copy of the bar menu listing the molecular cocktails at $13.75 a go. So that's not going to be covered under the premium package with or without the 15% service charge!!

Help!!

Well, the Presimans eclipse cruise departed from Southampton, therefore the prices on that list are INCLUSIVE of the 15% gratuity. The upper limit for cocktails on the premium package when expressed as inclusive of the 15% gratuity is $15 - making the molecular bar cocktails $1.25 under the limit. Does that help?

Edited to add: When the Preismans took that cruise the limit was $13.75 (12 * 1.15)

Edited by wpgcycler

I have been following Facebook posts about this same issue and somebody suggested emailing Celebrity directly: BeveragePackages@celebrity.com

This is the email I sent them (I am taking out my name for privacy):

Hi there.

I am currently booked on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda on June 29th. I currently have the Classic Beverage Package and I am trying to decide whether to upgrade to the Premium. Can you please send me a list of exactly what is included in the Classic Package (what brands, types of cocktails and what wines). I understand that it includes cocktails and wines up to $8 and beers up to $6. Will there be at least two choices of wines at dinner, for example? I understand martinis are not covered, but mini martinis are. Is this correct? What about frozen drinks such as Daiquiris, Margaritas and Pina Coladas? You may be aware that there has been quite a bit of grumbling about this online since apparently drink prices were raised. I am not complaining, however, I just want to make an informed decision before my trip.

Thanks in advance.

And their reply:

Dear ****:

Thank you for your email.

There is not a bar list/menu available before the cruise, as the options can change per ship or by itinerary.We can provide you with some sample starting pricing.

soda: $2.00

bottled water: $3.50

premium coffee/tea: $4.50

beer: $4.50

wine/cocktails: $6.50

Cocktails such as martini's, frozen drinks, and wine options will be available with the Classic package. Please note the brand of alcohold (well vs. top shelf) can vary and effect the drink price. There is a list of brands included in both the Classic package and Premium packages on our website.

****, thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Sonja Emerson

Customer Service Representative

Well, the Presimans eclipse cruise departed from Southampton, therefore the prices on that list are INCLUSIVE of the 15% gratuity. The upper limit for cocktails on the premium package when expressed as inclusive of the 15% gratuity is $15 - making the molecular bar cocktails $1.25 under the limit. Does that help?

Edited to add: When the Preismans took that cruise the limit was $13.75 (12 * 1.15)

I was on eclipse last July and had the premium package. We drank at molecular bar on more than one occasion and was 100% covered for any drink we tried. Hoping the same will apply this July when we are back on the eclipse

Dear ****:

Thank you for your email.

There is not a bar list/menu available before the cruise, as the options can change per ship or by itinerary.We can provide you with some sample starting pricing.

soda: $2.00

bottled water: $3.50

premium coffee/tea: $4.50

beer: $4.50

wine/cocktails: $6.50

Cocktails such as martini's, frozen drinks, and wine options will be available with the Classic package. Please note the brand of alcohold (well vs. top shelf) can vary and effect the drink price. There is a list of brands included in both the Classic package and Premium packages on our website.

In other words, they didn't answer your request and stood behind their policy of not giving you information before your cruise.

It's an interesting Management/Customer Service Communication style.....

Prehaps we should all copy that letter and keep it on is if we have problems on board. But I do not think they gave you enough of an answer. What do they mean ...."There is not a bar list/menu available before the cruise, as the options can change per ship or by itinerary.We can provide you with some sample starting pricing."

What do they mean options can change? Does that mean one ship could be different to the next.? Although we pay the same price for the packages.?

As usual not good enough of an answer.!

We were on Eclipse last week.. I up graded my hubby didn't... No complaints from us... If hubby wanted a premium beer I had a classic drink! . Believe me, we are not big drinkers and with the coffees, and fresh juice we had our money's worth...

If you asked for a G n T you got Gordon's unless you asked for something else, even on Premium.

After our meal I had. Grand Marnier. The waiter brought 2 without asking...

I drank Sauvignon Blanc, unless I asked for Clifford bay off the Premium I got the classic one. But honestly I couldn't tell the difference..

The only beer that was available was John smiths smooth out of a can.

Guinness, Newcastle Brown and Marstons Pedigree were all premium..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on Eclipse last week.. I up graded my hubby didn't... No complaints from us... If hubby wanted a premium beer I had a classic drink! . Believe me, we are not big drinkers and with the coffees, and fresh juice we had our money's worth...

If you asked for a G n T you got Gordon's unless you asked for something else, even on Premium.

After our meal I had. Grand Marnier. The waiter brought 2 without asking...

I drank Sauvignon Blanc, unless I asked for Clifford bay off the Premium I got the classic one. But honestly I couldn't tell the difference..

The only beer that was available was John smiths smooth out of a can.

Guinness, Newcastle Brown and Marstons Pedigree were all premium..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure we'll see more of this which, of course, violates Celebrity's policy. I'm sure there will be more wine "smuggling" too. It's just human nature or in the case of this poster, probably just not understanding the rules.

I fully understand this point as I experienced this over my last 4 cruises with the package.

"There is not a bar list/menu available before the cruise, as the options can change per ship or by itinerary.We can provide you with some sample starting pricing."

In our package we had different beers in Asia, different wines in SA, different wines and beers in Europe and this was all before this kerfuffle started. I think it would be next to impossible to have exactly the same products at exactly the same time on all the ships in the fleet. So to specifically ask what brands will be available on my Equinox TA in Oct is unrealistic.

So asking the following would be very difficult to do I think

Can you please send me a list of exactly what is included in the Classic Package (what brands, types of cocktails and what wines). I understand that it includes cocktails and wines up to $8 and beers up to $6

Edited by Christine Frances

I fully understand this point as I experienced this over my last 4 cruises with the package.

"There is not a bar list/menu available before the cruise, as the options can change per ship or by itinerary.We can provide you with some sample starting pricing."

In our package we had different beers in Asia, different wines in SA, different wines and beers in Europe and this was all before this kerfuffle started. I think it would be next to impossible to have exactly the same products at exactly the same time on all the ships in the fleet. So to specifically ask what brands will be available on my Equinox TA in Oct is unrealistic.

So asking the following would be very difficult to do I think

Can you please send me a list of exactly what is included in the Classic Package (what brands, types of cocktails and what wines). I understand that it includes cocktails and wines up to $8 and beers up to $6

Sorry but I don't agree. Yes, some wines and beers change, but the basic beers don't change much. Liquor is fairly constant around the world as are basic cocktails. We have seen lists in the past week from the ship that don't include pina colada (pretty basic), there is no reason not to list basic scotches and say they are in the package (the list of brands on the celebrity site is NOT the list given on the eclipse). As a matter of fact, we have sen communications from Celebrity saying Cutty Sark is NOT part of the classic drink package, but it was the only scotch shown on the list from the eclipse. Cordials don't change in price much...We've heard baileys is off and We've heard its on. I hate baileys but apparently its important to some.

Fundamentally what celebrity's response says is that we will serve you some wine, some beer and some cocktails with your package and they may include the brands we show on the web site (of course you have to decide if that's the US or UK web site).

What a mess....unless you don't care and whatever they give you is just fine. Hey...that's an attitude and I respect it. But I'd like to think that's NOT Modern Luxury.

Why do you keep repeating your answer over and over? We all know that it is wine up to $8 and beers up to $6. What we don't know is exactly what "BRANDS" are included. Liquor will not change too much if at all from ship to ship. Is it that difficult to say the following brands are included?

I read something on FB about Captain Morgan not been included. In my area, this is not very expensive. I wonder what they are using as the base to move brands that were previously in the classic to the premium by increasing the price? Hopefully by the time my cruise comes things will be sorted out and there would be more transparency.

Edited by Sandy1975

Why do you keep repeating your answer over and over? We all know that it is wine up to $8 and beers up to $6. What we don't know is exactly what "BRANDS" are included. Liquor will not change too much if at all from ship to ship. Is it that difficult to say the following brands are included?

I read something on FB about Captain Morgan not been included. In my area, this is not very expensive. I wonder what they are using as the base to move brands that were previously in the classic to the premium by increasing the price? Hopefully by the time my cruise comes things will be sorted out and there would be more transparency.

We don't know the wine up to price...I've seen $8, I've seen that it's been raised to $9...not sure.

Agree with the rest.

Edited by ghstudio

The wines posted by kevinyork unlike in the US have the gratuity included in the price so the price point is $10.50 hope this clears up the confusion

That equates to a $2.50 tip on an $8 glass of wine. I'm still confused and it doesn't explain the difference I see.

That equates to a $2.50 tip on an $8 glass of wine. I'm still confused and it doesn't explain the difference I see.

Because the UK site also says the limit on wine has been raised to $9 / glass.

9 x 15% (1.35) = 10.35 rounded up to 10.50.

The US site still says $8 limit.

This is similar to last year when the premium limit was raised from $12 to $13 and for months different sites and different links on Celebrity.com had different prices.

Edited by chamima

Sorry but I don't agree. Yes, some wines and beers change, but the basic beers don't change much. Liquor is fairly constant around the world as are basic cocktails. We have seen lists in the past week from the ship that don't include pina colada (pretty basic), there is no reason not to list basic scotches and say they are in the package (the list of brands on the celebrity site is NOT the list given on the eclipse). As a matter of fact, we have sen communications from Celebrity saying Cutty Sark is NOT part of the classic drink package, but it was the only scotch shown on the list from the eclipse. Cordials don't change in price much...We've heard baileys is off and We've heard its on. I hate baileys but apparently its important to some.

Fundamentally what celebrity's response says is that we will serve you some wine, some beer and some cocktails with your package and they may include the brands we show on the web site (of course you have to decide if that's the US or UK web site).

What a mess....unless you don't care and whatever they give you is just fine. Hey...that's an attitude and I respect it. But I'd like to think that's NOT Modern Luxury.

You have explained it very well and I guess I only see it from our perspective as we are only wine and beer drinkers:o And as we do prefer specific beer and wine I can sympathize with people about their preferred liquor. I am really not familiar with liquor brands or cocktails or what are "common brands/cocktails) (but am familiar with the Martini and Molecular Bar lol) So as long as they have my Pouille-Fume I will be happy - if not I will be joining you on this thread posting my displeasure:D

I just wish X would clarify the situation so the guessing can stop.

I was on the eclipse last week (2nd to 10th May) and had upgraded to the premium package.

I could have all the drinks at the molecular bar and all the Martinis.

Baileys was only available on the premium package - much to the annoyance of my friend on the classic package .

All top shelf drinks were available on the premium package but initially my friend ( Classic package)was served white rum for Bacardi until she questioned them on the first night and thereafter she got proper Bacardi. She also had piña colada

Can't say that there was much difference to last August my husband was able to have all the drinks he had enjoyed last year- beer and wine with a few mixed drinks as well.

My only gripe was with the wines- less selection on premium and overall less choice- for me that was the main disappointment.

Susan

Agree 100%! I didn't have a drink package on last month's Equinox transatlantic, but I noticed via the pricing that many brands that were included last fall on the Classic Drink Package, are now bumped into Preimium territory. Jack Daniels, Heineken, and Corona just to name a few. A jack and coke is now $9.50 w/gratuity. :(

Again, I firmly believe Celebrity knows what it's doing. They know a good portion of the "free" drink package holders will upgrade said package to Premium to be able to enjoy the basic brands they had come to enjoy previously with the Classic package. It's nothing more than a revenue generator in a round about way.

Tony

You have explained it very well and I guess I only see it from our perspective as we are only wine and beer drinkers:o And as we do prefer specific beer and wine I can sympathize with people about their preferred liquor. I am really not familiar with liquor brands or cocktails or what are "common brands/cocktails) (but am familiar with the Martini and Molecular Bar lol) So as long as they have my Pouille-Fume I will be happy - if not I will be joining you on this thread posting my displeasure:D

That's probably the most reasonable post I've read from you and maybe you are seeing things perhaps from a different perspective. We enjoy beers and wines too but currently the 2 beers we looked at when selecting the classic package are now too expensive.

And totally agree. Celebrity need to clarify the $ discrepancy we see.

Sorry but whilst they do have pouilly fume( also,one of my favourites) it was outside the premium package at $16 and the limit on the premium is $15 !!!!! After trying several of the others to see if there was something in the package I liked I ended up paying the difference for each drink.

Also it was only available in MDR and cellar masters Murano of course.

Susan

In my email to Celebrity I was careful to say that I was not complaining, I just wanted information so that I could make a decision whether to upgrade to Premium. I was hoping they would take the bait and give me the list which would convince me to upgrade. I guess I will just have to wait until I get on board. Who knows, maybe by then some things will have changed due to all the complaints. And maybe I will upgrade. $11 a day if that is what it is doesn't seem like so much in the grand scheme of things.

All top shelf drinks were available on the premium package but initially my friend ( Classic package)was served white rum for Bacardi until she questioned them on the first night and thereafter she got proper Bacardi.

Susan

Ha! I caught them on this too. This was when Bacardi 8 was part of the classic (before all these changes in early March). I asked for a Barcardi 8 and coke and it tasted really off to me. I questioned the bartender about it and he told me I was wrong, I said that I know what Bacardi tastes like and this wasn't it. He finally acknowledged that he gave me the house but he would make me another one. If I paid for this drink I would had been royally pissed but since I had the 123 I was just mildly upset that he tried to pass an expensive drink for the lowest of the low rum...

Isn't information power? It sure assists with making better decisions and not feeling that you have been cheated in any way shape or form. I am not a drinker, but do enjoy an occasional drink and my DH enjoys a good glass of wine, so this does not affect us. We, as other posters have said, use our OBC to purchase our spirits and get exactly what we want. I sincerely believe that Celebrity put the cart before the horse, which systematically has created all this uproar. Again, change is never easy and if it accompanies a little hocus pocus too, then the problems arise.

Seriously though, there is just too much change all at one time and herein lies the problem. Celebrity needs to be more upfront with passengers and supply the information that is needed. ( I am so glad that alcohol isn't a big part of my cruise!)

Edited by Lastdance