Onboard Eclipse Now. Big cutback in Classic Package Inclusions!

kevinyork

Perhaps Celebrity's game plan is to water down the "free" Classic Drinks Package to the point that cruisers will bypass it completely in lew of a different perk, or shell out the funds for Premiuim. I envision Classic package holders being relegated to the cheap/horrid drinks passed around at the misc. free cocktail events and get-together's. :eek:

Tony

Perhaps Celebrity's game plan is to water down the "free" Classic Drinks Package to the point that cruisers will bypass it completely in lew of a different perk, or shell out the funds for Premiuim. I envision Classic package holders being relegated to the cheap/horrid drinks passed around at the misc. free cocktail events and get-together's. :eek:

Tony

Let's not forget that everyone does not opt for the drink package to begin with. Many book cabins that are not eligible for perks, and some take perks other than the Classic Beverage Package. The price increase on many drinks affects these folks adversely as well. I know I would not pay $10 for a margarita on the rocks. Seems this scheme would reduce revenue from drink sales too.

Looked at prices last year at this time and am kicking myself that I didn't book then because balconies were going for a hundred more than inside. Booked this year and settled for inside. Outside cabins were more than 800 above inside and balconies were over 1000 more when I booked.

It really is all about timing and luck. Some cruises cabin fares fall over time soothers they rise, some move up and down and up and down over time. some cabin types never change while others may change dramatically even the same cruise dates year to year.

And it's different ship to ship and itinerary to itinerary within a ship. It;s impossible anymore to make broad generalizations about cabin pricing and availability and timing.

I just sailed the PH on Eclipse. I waited till 3 weeks out to nab it. It was almost half the price it was selling for 3 months prior, and sold for less than the Royals were selling for just a week prior. I've seen some of the same trends on standard cabins as well but honestly don't monitor those near as much as I do the suites.

Use the various websites out there that we can't name here (but send me an email and I'm happy to share them) to monitor pricing and research trends to make decisions. Of course you may end up missing out on a specific cabin or category by waiting but that's part of the game and fun of it all - the hunt for the deal.

My strategy is generally book a cabin I want early on and deposit it so at least I know I have a bed to sleep in if it's a specific itinerary I want. then watch the fares over time and cancel and rebook as I find something better. Then come final payment deadline, look at what's open still, and decide in my mind if there is enough inventory left they will put cabins on fire sale or not and cancel before final payment then wait it out and book last minute when I see a deal come up. Of course I lose most perks this way....but I did buy RCI stock and hold it in my retirements accounts, so I can always at minimum have the shareholder OBC if nothing else applies.

For those outside the USA who don't have the ability to cancel without cost, find a US travel agency to work through so you can do the same.

Hi all,

Sorry I cannot answer all the questions due to the wifi cost however heres a few answers to questions Ive picked up scanning your posts (sorry cannot quote each question as I would run out of minutes) so my apologies for this not reading very logically:

There isnt a list of inclusions in the premium package.....just all drinks up to $15 incl tip, thats beers, spirits, cocktails and wines. You would need to see scans of every bar and restaurant menu to work things out in advance and Im afraid Ive a holiday to enjoy so cannot be doing that (maybe we should fund the Preissmans next holiday so they can scan them all for us....). All bars have different menus and show just a handful of cocktails with prices all of which are covered by the Premium Package but presumably they would make a cocktail available at another Bar as long as you knew what you wanted and asked for it. Not sure about the Premium priced cocktails being made with lesser brands but will try and find out.

Rubydoobydoo........they told me Baileys was just added due to complaints ( I dont really get this as I saw it priced at $10.50 somewhere so it should be included anyway.......$10.50 for a Baileys WOW!). A Bottle of Stella is $9! Where the heck does that price come from? Makes P&O drinks positively a bargain.

I think they are trying to pursuade people without packages to get a package and those who have the classic package to upgrade. The problem with spirits and most liquers is they are not listed anywhere so you dont know the price and dont know which package covers it, you just have to carry that A4 piece of paper everywhere or ask each time you want to order. Seems like they are trying to get away from people working out whats available by price level and listing available brands instead. It looks to me like they have decided upon the limits for the packages then decided upon the prices of the drinks to sit them within the packages. This has left some pretty standard drinks looking decidedly expensive and out of proportion.

Definately no issue with the small martinis at the Martini Bar on Eclipse currently, many seem to be availing themselves.

The list I posted in my first post is the official Celebrity list from Head Office and I was told is fleetwide, not just on the Eclipse, I did ask specifically.

On a plus, bar service has been excellent, wine has been free flowing in the MDR and service on deck has been very prevalent with lots of waiters walking around.

Shoreham/Susanne....can you refresh my frazzled memory about our cruise together last year please? How bad of me to forget a cruise mate, very very sorry.

On a seperate note, whilst it doesnt bother us, the Daily program does look very light on activities and if we were looking for something to fill a non sunny sea day I think we would struggle. I did oversee a comment card at Guest Relations today which extended onto an A4 sheet full of moans about activity cutbacks and charges for Zumba so this is an issue relevant to some.

Also Michaels as a VIP bar seems such a waste as there is hardly anyone in there. Perry Grant has moved to Cellar Masters and its packed in there despite the venue being a little long and narrow and most seating being folding chairs. As its off the atrium I think many people are wandering by and hearing him whereas in Michaels he was a little cut off.

Kevin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am the first to say Celebrity have not put up the drink prices for quite some time. Instead of taking drinks from the menu, I would rather they had put up the price of the classic and premium drinks packages to reflect the increase. I know this won't go down well, however it think they should follow other lines which states all adults sharing a cabin must take the package, as we all know from posts on here there is some who abuse it, not all but some do. This could be one of the reasons for such drastic increases.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the information. I was wondering if the increase was fleet wide and not just the Eclipse out of the UK.

Now it is time for Celebrity to produce a list of prices and drinks available on packages.

Enjoy your holiday. We have friends on there and as they usually go P&O they will not be happy with the price increases. My fault! - I have encouraged them to try Celebrity:eek:

Perry Grant has moved to Cellar Masters and its packed in there despite the venue being a little long and narrow and most seating being folding chairs. As its off the atrium I think many people are wandering by and hearing him whereas in Michaels he was a little cut off.

On my TA I asked the CD, Sue Denning, why not let him play Sky a couple nights, last year on the TA he filled the place nightly. She said it was HIS choice to go to cellar masters. I later ran into him waiting on an elevator one afternoon and asked the same thing, and he said "I really like cellar masters, Sky is just too big for me". So it seems he chose that venue himself.

I felt like I was a a funeral home and someone should have been inside the piano. I never made the whole show cause it was too crowded and was hard to participate from the back. I love his act.

Michael's, do note that people tend to congregate back at the bar area whee there are a few seating groups and bar chairs, not so much in the space you can see from the door. It seems to be busy between 5:30 and 7:30 nightly with us getting our pre dinner drinks. I didn't think I'd much care for it, but it was nice to meet new friends in a small space like that. I'm happy to have a dedicated concierge lounge, lust like most hotels have for their guests in premium rooms. also stopped a few times to work with the Suite concierge on some plans I needed help with, trey even called the future sales cruise consultants over rather than send me to the sales office, which was a nice touch.

Thank you for the information. I was wondering if the increase was fleet wide and not just the Eclipse out of the UK.

Now it is time for Celebrity to produce a list of prices and drinks available on packages.

Enjoy your holiday. We have friends on there and as they usually go P&O they will not be happy with the price increases. My fault! - I have encouraged them to try Celebrity:eek:

Being a Yorkshire man I am sure he will not mind that MUCH !!!.

Hi all,

Sorry I cannot answer all the questions due to the wifi cost however heres a few answers to questions Ive picked up scanning your posts (sorry cannot quote each question as I would run out of minutes) so my apologies for this not reading very logically:

There isnt a list of inclusions in the premium package.....just all drinks up to $15 incl tip, thats beers, spirits, cocktails and wines. You would need to see scans of every bar and restaurant menu to work things out in advance

Kevin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you saying the Premium package now covers drinks up to $15?

It was $13.

:confused:

Just realized you wrote, including tip. $13 + 15% (1.90) would be close enough to $15 to just round up.

Oh well..... :(

I am the first to say Celebrity have not put up the drink prices for quite some time. Instead of taking drinks from the menu, I would rather they had put up the price of the classic and premium drinks packages to reflect the increase. I know this won't go down well, however it think they should follow other lines which states all adults sharing a cabin must take the package, as we all know from posts on here there is some who abuse it, not all but some do. This could be one of the reasons for such drastic increases.

Actually, drink prices went up last year from the year before.

This reminds me of an old adage I learned. (And I know there really isn't a comparison between being killed and cruise amenities but I've thought of the comparison every time I've read Cruisenut's post)

They came for the Communists and I wasn't a Communist so I didn't protest....

They came for the gypsies and I wasn't a gypsy so I didn't protest.....

They came for the Jews and I wasn't a Jew so I didn't protest.....

Then they came for me and there was no one left to protest.....

I think it just illustrates that just because something doesn't affect you personally, if you feel it's wrong or unfair you still need to say something to support those it does affect.

Perfectly stated!

I completely understand the frustration (we have never purchased the drink package) but would be none too happy if it changed after final payment. However, I do understand the classic package cut back on the frozen drinks...it tends to jam the bar....it is time consuming to make the frozen drinks. I must admit i was quietly happy with that change.

What I don't understand...is Celebrity sorry they even started offering the drink packages? We find our bar bill at the end of the cruise (cost wise) is just about the same as buying the premium package. If we purchased the package we would have def drank more...just didn't want the extra calories. I can't help but think this is costing more than helping Celebrity's bottom line.

I do understand the classic package cut back on the frozen drinks

Hi, can you point us to where you found that information? The Celebrity website states:

Classic Package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all beers up to $6 per serving, and spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list. *Starting from: 54.39 CAD Per NIGHT

I emailed beveragepackages@celebrity.com asking if the classic list had changed since my purchase last March, they replied stating it had not changed! The uk website still lists the same drinks also! So perhaps the bar staff don't have the correct lists? I hope it's all sorted by July for my cruise on the reflection :rolleyes:

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I emailed beveragepackages@celebrity.com asking if the classic list had changed since my purchase last March, they replied stating it had not changed! The uk website still lists the same drinks also! So perhaps the bar staff don't have the correct lists? I hope it's all sorted by July for my cruise on the reflection :rolleyes:

That's just incredible....

Last Friday on the Summit in BLU we ordered two glasses of white wine at 13.50 per glass.

We had the premium package but were given a bill for $1.00 to cover the overage. It is hard on board to find waiters and bar tenders who seem to know the correct package prices.

Sell or give away for sales reasons just one package covering what the premium package now covers. If I don't like it I won't buy it but it would make things easier on board.

We were on the Eclipse Iceland and Fjords last year. You have probably forgotten that cruise as we encountered torrential rain and fog for most of it :)

I am short and at that time had short brown hair. Alan and I used to see you sometimes in the Martini bar and we met up at the CC party. We were also on the roll call. Don't blame you if you don't remember us. I probably would not remember many people I had met on a previous cruise.

Regards Suzanne

Any chance of posting a pdf of the eMail?

Last Friday on the Summit in BLU we ordered two glasses of white wine at 13.50 per glass.

We had the premium package but were given a bill for $1.00 to cover the overage. It is hard on board to find waiters and bar tenders who seem to know the correct package prices.

Sell or give away for sales reasons just one package covering what the premium package now covers. If I don't like it I won't buy it but it would make things easier on board.

Thats the way it has always been! With the Premium Pkg you pay the difference on anything over $12

Thats the way it has always been! With the Premium Pkg you pay the difference on anything over $12

I believe the limit in the premium package has been $13 for a while now.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Any chance of posting a pdf of the eMail?

We apologize for any confusion regarding our beverage packages. We have not made any recent changes to our packages, they are the same now as they were in March of this year.

I believe the limit in the premium package has been $13 for a while now.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

You are right! Didn't even notice that! In Feb I just let the sommelier select the wines for me (Prem Pkg) I didn't even ask the price but boy were they good. I had a Pouilly Fume Sav Blanc to die for most evenings. I will happily pay the extra in Oct if it is over the $13 mark:D

That may have been a problem in the past but since they have been offering the classic package free for the last year I don't see it being a problem now. The problem I see is that the free package isn't generating any on board spending and since beverages are a major portion of on board spending for the cruise line they are finally feeling the pinch. I was wondering how long it would take before they realized the loss.

We apologize for any confusion regarding our beverage packages. We have not made any recent changes to our packages, they are the same now as they were in March of this year.

Hope 'Kevinyork' sees this. Would like to hear his response.

Was this the response from Celebrity? Or are you apologizing for your earlier thread posting?

As posted by NOMAD 098 on another post;-

" Just been on one of the social media sites to which Celebrity posts and read this, nearly fell off my chair laughing talk about not having a clue

Celebrity Cruises UK Hi *******, thank you for getting in contact with us. Our drinks prices are changing onboard but we can assure you that the list of beverages we have listed on our World of Extras page are still included in our Classic Alcoholic Beverage Package. There are a small amount of beverages that have increased in price onboard and are no longer included in the Classic Alcoholic Beverage Package. These include Beefeater, Cuervo White, Cutty Stark, Jim Beam, Canadian Club, Seagram 7, Captain Morgan, Malibu, Amaretto and Baileys. We are currently working to update our communications worldwide to ensure everyone is up to date – if you would like to send us a private Facebook message with your email address and sail date, our team will be able to provide you with an up-to-date list of drinks included in your beverage package ahead of your holiday. Warm regards, Celebrity Cruises UK

If memory serves me correctly all these are on the classic beverage package list posted by kevinyork except for Baileys which he posted later has been added"

You could not make it up!