Onboard Eclipse Now. Big cutback in Classic Package Inclusions!

kevinyork

........Celebrity offered a package when people signed up but months later when they were on board the drinks previously included are now beyond the scope of the package purchased.....

This is happening right now with the Classic package. Celebrity should compensate those who booked early only to find what they paid for is no longer included.

I haven't yet heard the outcry from premium package buyers yet.....but I fully expect it to come as surely some of those drinks that were included have now been raised over the limit. Just saw the first change wines for premium package folks.....surely more to come.

Then why not just upgrade??? :confused:

you completely missed my point!

Had they announced that some prices had increased and they've improved the classic drink package to allow only paying for the difference in price...which would be viewed as a big plus....celebrity would have still had some upgrading to premium (which is what they are trying to do) AND some of the folks who stick with the classic package would just pay the difference, likely resulting in more than $10 a day profit for celebrity, or they would just drink what's in the package. It would have been a win/win for celebrity....they win with more dollars either way...and they come out looking as if they enhanced the benefit.

The way they did it was with a financial club instead of some marketing finesse. It almost seems like HQ is in a financial panic rather than really thinking through the ramifications of how they do things. But it's their company...and they didn't ask for my opinion :)

Edited by ghstudio

Had they announced that some prices had increased and they've improved the classic drink package to allow only paying for the difference in price...a big plus....celebrity would have had folks upgrading to premium (which is what they are trying to do) AND some of the folks with the classic package would just pay the difference, likely resulting in more than $10 a day profit for celebrity. It would have been a win/win for celebrity....they win with more dollars either way...and they come out looking as if they enhanced the benefit.

The way they did it was with a financial club instead of some marketing finesse. It almost seems like HQ is in a financial panic rather than really thinking through the ramifications of how they do things. But it's their company...and they didn't ask for my opinion :)

Again, it isn't the individual changes that bother me but the totality of all these changes (drink prices, less staff and fewer activities, to name the obvious three) at once.

What's going on????

Had they announced that some prices had increased and they've improved the classic drink package to allow only paying for the difference in price...which would be viewed as a big plus....celebrity would have still had some upgrading to premium (which is what they are trying to do) AND some of the folks who stick with the classic package would just pay the difference, likely resulting in more than $10 a day profit for celebrity, or they would just drink what's in the package. It would have been a win/win for celebrity....they win with more dollars either way...and they come out looking as if they enhanced the benefit.

Oh, I see your point alright, but to me that's just a different way of trying to be sneaky. I think Celebrity should be a lot more open and transparent, but I also think it's passengers could be just a wee bit less stingy. For 11 bucks a day just upgrade and enjoy the vacation. :)

Thankyou for your post. Confirms that a few of our drinks have now been excluded. The pleasure of selecting the classic package has diminished. Sorry but $22 a day to upgrade for 2 is not small change. And it misses the point that products advertised in order to encourage people to select the package have disappeared. Misleading at best. Bad PR.

Post on Facebook.

Thankyou for your post. Confirms that a few of our drinks have now been excluded. The pleasure of selecting the classic package has diminished. Sorry but $22 a day to upgrade for 2 is not small change. And it misses the point that products advertised in order to encourage people to select the package have disappeared. Misleading at best. Bad PR.

Post on Facebook.

Totally agree!

I was on the Eclispe last week - getting home on 10th may.

I had upgraded to premium package for the wines primarily - although I do enjoy other drinks.

I was most disappointed. The wines I had specifically upgraded for were now outside the premium package leaving with a choice of two that were included only in the premium package. The only wine I could drink was the Pinot

Grigiot at $9 - included in the Classic package.

Also the choice of wines ( red and white) in Cellar masters was poor and limited- nothing like previously.

I could obtain the better wines ( for me) in the dining room and cellar masters at extra cost ( just paying the difference ).

I took this up with the cellar master as requested by guest relations and he apologised saying the prices went up on 1st May.

I had little choice but to pay the difference for the reminder of my holiday - my choice I know.

My friend had the classic package and there no Martinis she could have and she was disgusted when having ordered one was told it was outside the package.it didn't help that the martini drinks list had no prices on them. There were also far fewer marines on offer than previously in the summer of 2013.

It seems a shame to reduce and restrict choice so much.

This issue won't spoil our cruise at all. But it does make me rethink the value that a cruise line places on their customer and the sneaky way in which things can be manipulated. Just another reason to not rely too much on one cruise line when selecting a cruise.

So it seems even upgrading to premium won't fix the range offered?

Edited by Pushka

..... For 11 bucks a day just upgrade and enjoy the vacation.....

It's $23/day for two, times seven days, and $161us later we won't even get the wines that were promissed in the former Premium package. So, why does Celebrity need to use the deceptive marketing? Maybe time to short their stock???

It's $23/day for two, times seven days, and $161us later we won't even get the wines that were promissed in the former Premium package. So, why does Celebrity need to use the deceptive marketing? Maybe time to short their stock???

Yes, and $46 for four, $92 for eight... you can multiply it as many times as you want - that does not change the fact that for the price of ONE decent drink per day you can have access to a much better selection AND drink fancy water to boot! I'm not defending Celebrity's marketing practices - I'm as appalled as you are - but what am I to do? Sulk and drink what I don't really want to drink? Now there's a vacation. :rolleyes:

... I'm not defending Celebrity's marketing practices - I'm as appalled as you are - but what am I to do? ...

Exactly, not sulking here either. Just want people to know about what's happening right now at Celebrity. I'm going to do a little research and check out their financials; might be a good time to sell their stock short!

Exactly, not sulking here either. Just want people to know about what's happening right now at Celebrity. I'm going to do a little research and check out their financials; might be a good time to sell their stock short!

Maybe make enough to cover the cost of the upgrade! :D

Maybe make enough to cover the cost of the upgrade! :D

Except that if you're right about shorting the stock there won't be anything to upgrade TO. ;)

Edited by chamima

I have never got the drink packages. I always take the Shipboard credit or gratuities. Then I just buy what I want to drink. Seems like Celebrity is have problems just like Azamara. Just not the same problems. Have you looked at the price of the RCL stock? Just thinking why is it so high? Are they having any problems over on the RCL boards ? Richard

Kevin, your list is the same as I was given last week, but you have the addition of a cocktail list this week, when I asked for one they didn't have one

I notice there is no Piña Colada, Bali hai and Sunset Breeze on this list, we had those last week !

Have a great cruise, enjoy and remember why we have defected from P and O and come over to Celebrity lol :D

Oh no! Pina coladas is my favorite drink :(:( Probably the only thing I would be drinking all week long. Maybe i should have just taken the OBC and bought drinks one by one. $300 would have bought 30 $10 pina coladas!

Somehow I hope that pina coladas with a cheaper rum is still in the classic package

Wow I don't get it - always thought the concept of the packages were a $$ credit towards ANY drink. But they are now specifying actual cocktails/wine/beers that are included or not - or is it just that the other drinks have increased in price so no longer fit in the $8 per drink range of the classic pkg?

Heaven help the bartenders on board trying to work out whats included on what package if its by drink name !!! We had to buy our package and I would be a bit miffed if certain drinks I prefer (and checked were included) were no longer in the price range of the classic package. Luckily we are first timers to Celebrity and thought to hell with it and paid the extra to go Premium!!:D

From what has been posted, even the Premium has been degraded; check the wine list.

Yep. Upgrading to premium doesn't necessarily solve the issue either.

I guess we know now how Celebrity are financially managing the 123 go promos they released.

Yep. Upgrading to premium doesn't necessarily solve the issue either.

I guess we know now how Celebrity are financially managing the 123 go promos they released.

Funny how just as the promo ended and as soon as it did the week after the prices and whats covered by the packages changed

Edited by forceten

Funny how just as the promo ended and as soon as it did the week after the prices and whats covered by the packages changed

Celebrity should rename themselves Infamous as this sort of trickery is becoming a habit.:(

We will be cruising with Celebrity for the first time in October. We picked this cruise as we thought that Celebrity was a more upmarket cruise line, a line we had always espired to. Normally we would book closer to the cruise date but the 123 promo convinced us to book much earlier. We were delighted with what was shown as included in the Classic drinks package so picked that over OBC as it would mean we could relax and not worry about the cost. We are dismayed and disappointed with Celebrity's behaviour and will, no doubt, find something to drink but it does tarnish the expected experience. This cruise was to be a taster for our 10th wedding anniversary next year as we had a Celebrity Caribbean cruise in mind for a renewal of vows but now we are not so sure. No matter how you dress it up re business economics etc., they have moved the goal posts and if we could cancel with no penalty we (well I would, not sure of hubby) seriously consider it.

From what has been posted, even the Premium has been degraded; check the wine list.

That really concerns me. We're big wine drinkers, which has always been my hesitation with a beverage package. From my research, it appeared that if I upgraded (which I did) there was enough of a selection that we would find things we liked with only the occasional upcharge for a special choice. If we're having to pay an upcharge on most glasses, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a package.