Onboard Eclipse Now. Big cutback in Classic Package Inclusions!

kevinyork

We boarded on Saturday and have the Classic Package, as some 1500 passengers onboard do. The first day we noticed the price of drinks had increased, not just because the service charge is included with cruises departing the UK but against any recent menu postings on this forum and against our Eclipse trip last July.

Additionally, the limits for the Classic Package had changed. It now reads as (all incl 15% tip):

Wine by the Glass up to $10.50

Cocktails and Spirits up to $9.50

All other soft drinks, coffees/tea, frozen drinks, non premium water, smoothies and beers up to £7.

Now we had a struggle the first day. We couldnt find a single bar menu that had a cocktail below the $9.50 level. Additionally the price of spirits wasnt on any menu anywhere. However, armed with a list of included brands for the Classic package as per Celebrity UKs website (as posted on another thread) we ordered a Tanqeray G+T, response 'not included', what about Bombay Sapphire? 'Not included but we can give you Gordons'. So basically lots of stuff previously available has now been priced over the Classic maximum price level.

So being a little perplexed we headed to Guest Relations and I said we were confused as we didnt know what spirits were included nor could we find a bar menu showing any cocktails that were included. We were handed a pretty basis in-house A4 sheet showing the drinks that were now included since changes to the package were introduced last week. Wow was that a truncated list compared to last year and the list on Xs website! At least the list showed about 20 cocktails but way less than last year. Also the list was only being given out to those asking about inclusions at Guest Relations. We are our third day and keep meeting people who have no idea what is included as they dont have the list from Guest Relations. Additionally we keep being told by barstaff we can have drinks not shown on that list which are on their system as available to us but not on the list so even the list isnt correct!

I spoke with the Food and Beverage Manager today about this. Whilst not having very high requirements for top shelf brands I showed him the list from the website and said we had booked when X had the 123 Promo and had viewed the brands available under the Classic Package at that time and indeed had checked again the week before our cruise. However we now find that they have cut back on whats covered but we only now about that now we are onboard. He kindly advised if something that was included before now isnt then maybe we might want to pay to upgrade to the premium package! Great, so to get what we expected was part of the promo we now have to pay more! He wouldnt budge a inch and said this was fleet wide and had come from Head Office and there was nothng he could do.

Do I smell a rat here? Have they lured thousands of people onto cruises with their free Classic drinks package only to then restrict whats available to push more people to upgrade their package? I can only imagine there are going to be a lot of unhappy passengers in the weeks/months to come.

Ive tried to photo the lists so hopefully you can read them.e4u2a4yt.jpgypesy9y9.jpg7a4agyta.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevin, thanks so much for the heads up. Not good news, though. Any chance you could find out more about the wines included in the Premium upgrade?

We will be cruising with Celebrity for the first time in October. We picked this cruise as we thought that Celebrity was a more upmarket cruise line, a line we had always espired to. Normally we would book closer to the cruise date but the 123 promo convinced us to book much earlier. We were delighted with what was shown as included in the Classic drinks package so picked that over OBC as it would mean we could relax and not worry about the cost. We are dismayed and disappointed with Celebrity's behaviour and will, no doubt, find something to drink but it does tarnish the expected experience. This cruise was to be a taster for our 10th wedding anniversary next year as we had a Celebrity Caribbean cruise in mind for a renewal of vows but now we are not so sure. No matter how you dress it up re business economics etc., they have moved the goal posts and if we could cancel with no penalty we (well I would, not sure of hubby) seriously consider it.

We were really disappointed with all the cutbacks we experienced on our sailing of the Summit in March/April and have been watching the boards carefully for progress to determine whether to cancel our November sailing before final payment is due. Prices for sailings this coming fall and early winter are dropping, while Celebrity's customer satisfaction seems to continue dropping. All the subtle changes are starting to pile up, and this is one that is a bit hard to stomach.

Kevin, thanks so much for the heads up. Not good news, though. Any chance you could find out more about the wines included in the Premium upgrade?

The same, would be nice to see the current pricing for all of the wines.

That really concerns me. We're big wine drinkers, which has always been my hesitation with a beverage package. From my research, it appeared that if I upgraded (which I did) there was enough of a selection that we would find things we liked with only the occasional upcharge for a special choice. If we're having to pay an upcharge on most glasses, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a package.

Agreed!

I had already pre-purchased a premium package for my November TA on the Constellation back in February when the internet discount was announced it would go away. I'm sure I will find things I enjoy, but if I also find myself consistently ordering selections that are over $13, I will be disappointed as well. I try to save the OBC for things such as the spa or discounted bottles of wine, etc.

I would say what... 2% of cruisers are on CC?

Wait till the general masses get onboard and see all these changes without knowing it ahead of time.. but getting their info from celebrity website...

I do not see this going well for Celebrity.

I would say what... 2% of cruisers are on CC?

Wait till the general masses get onboard and see all these changes without knowing it ahead of time.. but getting their info from celebrity website...

I do not see this going well for Celebrity.

I disagree, I don't see the majority complaining. They understand that

they purchased a drink package to get unlimited free drinks and that

is what they will get.

Wish we had selected the $300 OBC and simply paid for what we wanted to drink. I think I would have come out ahead as we mostly drink wine that is not part of any standard package, and we would still have to pay extra even if we upgraded. Seemed like a great perk till I read about changes and really give thought to my normal alcohol and coffee consumption.

We were part of the select 2 perks offer. I called Celebrity to change my selection and was told I am not allowed. Current cabin pricing has gone up and I also would lose our free gratuities.

We'll see how it works out and be able to make a more informed decision for future cruises.

So many Celebrity changes - I cant keep up!

m

Very brief due to interent costs. Firstly, still having a great cruise but there is widespread discontent with the changes and manner in which its been done. Many we chat to still have not had a cocktail as no menus show a cocktail within the price limit and they havnt been to Guest Relations to get the sheet of available drinks.

A couple of quick answers.......Yes the four smaller martinis are still available within the package at the Martini bar. Rubydoodoo.........there are a couple of extra cocktails available that are not on the list, a BBC and Pina Colada for instance and presumably the ones you mention. Plus Baileys and Sambucca are available but not on the sheet.

We spoke to one couple who upgraded to the Premium Package on day 2 as they couldnt find any coctails to drink but when we showed them the sheet of drinks they went to demand a refund since if they had been advised they would not have upgraded. I wonder how many more have done this and is this part of the plan? I bet there have been far more upgrades on this cruise than most previous cruises where the cruise was within the 123 Promo dates.

Finally, why is this list so unprofessional? It looks like a schoolboy has drawn it up on an A4 sheet of paper and why is itonly given out on demand?

On a better note, my OH who had the Classic alcohol thrown in but doesnt drink was allowed to downgrade to the Premium non alcohol package on day one to access the better waters. However Guest Relations said that they would not allow it after the first day due to having to examine the drinks already consumed to ensure none were outside of the Premium non alcohol package.

Very brief due to interent costs. Firstly, still having a great cruise but there is widespread discontent with the changes and manner in which its been done. Many we chat to still have not had a cocktail as no menus show a cocktail within the price limit and they havnt been to Guest Relations to get the sheet of available drinks.

A couple of quick answers.......Yes the four smaller martinis are still available within the package at the Martini bar. Rubydoodoo.........there are a couple of extra cocktails available that are not on the list, a BBC and Pina Colada for instance and presumably the ones you mention. Plus Baileys and Sambucca are available but not on the sheet.

We spoke to one couple who upgraded to the Premium Package on day 2 as they couldnt find any coctails to drink but when we showed them the sheet of drinks they went to demand a refund since if they had been advised they would not have upgraded. I wonder how many more have done this and is this part of the plan? I bet there have been far more upgrades on this cruise than most previous cruises where the cruise was within the 123 Promo dates.

Finally, why is this list so unprofessional? It looks like a schoolboy has drawn it up on an A4 sheet of paper and why is itonly given out on demand?

On a better note, my OH who had the Classic alcohol thrown in but doesnt drink was allowed to downgrade to the Premium non alcohol package on day one to access the better waters. However Guest Relations said that they would not allow it after the first day due to having to examine the drinks already consumed to ensure none were outside of the Premium non alcohol package.

Thank you for taking valuable time and internet minutes to post while on your cruise.

You would think that a corporation as big a Celebrity (Royal Caribbean) would have had sheets printed out explaining exactly what the package covers, what beers, wines, liquors, etc. Then distribute them to those that have packages. This is not a hard thing to do. Especially in the computer age.

I'm sure Celebrity knew well in advance this change was going to take place, why not be pro-active?

Hello Kevin, we sailed with you last year.

Thanks for posting the list. Sounds like a complete fiasco. I wouldn't like to be a member of staff at the moment. Celebrity Head Office really know how to upset people, passengers and staff. I think they may have gone just one step too far this time.

Hope you are enjoying yourselves. We are on her 7th June and are looking forward to it. Fortunately, we are not great drinkers and so we should be ok with the drink package, even though we do feel they have stitched up their clientele.

All the best to you

Suzanne

Thanks for taking the time to post Kevin

It seems to me that things change depending who serves you, are you saying that Baileys is back on the classic package, it was most definitely off last week, seems like Celebrity may have back tracked on a few things

Refused the smaller martinis last week, this week they are ok ?

I don't think the ship and head office are communicating very well, they must have had a flood of calls by now complaining so maybe things are slowly filtering through to the ships

Enjoy the rest of your cruise

I disagree, I don't see the majority complaining. They understand that

they purchased a drink package to get unlimited free drinks and that

is what they will get.

If that were the case, they wouldn't have even bothered purchasing as you can get unlimited free drinks, truly for free, from the Oceanview café.

They purchased the drinks package because they thought it offered sufficient value for the inclusions it contains. Some may not be concerned by what is no longer included, but some may well be.

Just as people get dissatisfied about long waits at the bar, they will also be dissatisfied if they bought the package because it included certain types of drinks that they liked, and it no longer does.

Thank you for your post.

It's good to get some information from the source, since as you say they're not very professional in publishing the lists.

Edited by The_Big_M

Couldn't agree more. We just love the Solstice brand and cruise about 2/3 times a year, so much so, we have another 3 booked!! But!!!! We were on the Eclipse transatlantic and things just weren't right,

If that were the case, they wouldn't have even bothered purchasing as you can get unlimited free drinks, truly for free, from the Oceanview café.

They purchased the drinks package because they thought it offered sufficient value for the inclusions it contains. Some may not be concerned by what is no longer included, but some may well be.

Just as people get dissatisfied about long waits at the bar, they will also be dissatisfied if they bought the package because it included certain types of drinks that they liked, and it no longer does.

Not quite sure that I follow you, when did the Oceanview cafe start giving free alcoholic drinks? Isn't that what we are talking about, the drink package with alcoholic drinks?

My point was that I don't think (my opinion) the majority of the passengers will be complaining about the liquor that has been taken off the lists. I believe that they realize that they purchased (or got for free) a drink package that allows them free drinks during their cruise and that is what they will be getting. I'm sure there will be those that go up to everyone and complain (just like what happened to my neighbor who was on a cruise after the Captain's club changes), but for the most part I don't believe the majority will complain.

If one purchased the drink package, I'm sure they can get their money back prior to using it, if they are not satisified.

Not quite sure that I follow you, when did the Oceanview cafe start giving free alcoholic drinks? Isn't that what we are talking about, the drink package with alcoholic drinks?

My point was that I don't think (my opinion) the majority of the passengers will be complaining about the liquor that has been taken off the lists. I believe that they realize that they purchased (or got for free) a drink package that allows them free drinks during their cruise and that is what they will be getting. I'm sure there will be those that go up to everyone and complain (just like what happened to my neighbor who was on a cruise after the Captain's club changes), but for the most part I don't believe the majority will complain.

If one purchased the drink package, I'm sure they can get their money back prior to using it, if they are not satisified.

We paid for the package based on the name of drinks that were on the list, not based on beer, spirt wine etc. under a certain price limit

it was decided that because the name of the drink that we would buy was on the list it would be a good deal to purchase the package and have unlimited, NOT, free drinks of those brands. It was expensive so we thought long and hard about if it was worth getting but as his favourite drink were on the list we went for it

If we had know prior to buying the package that we would not get those drinks we may not have paid for it and just paid for each drink as went along,

We didn't know until we were actually refused drinks, so that choice was taken away from as as we could not cancel then

As it happens my husband made the best of what was available, but I am sure he would have preferred to have fewer drinks of his actual choice and pay for each one rather than unlimited drinks of second best

It is not about drinking free drinks so who cares what is on the list, it is about having what you paid for, he paid for unlimited Famous Grouse Whiskey not unlimited whiskey as he does not drink any other brand so that choice was taken away for him and he had to drink something else that he would rather not of had

Some people don't seem to grasp why others are upset by this

Next time we will still buy a package but we will buy one thinking we get unlimited beer, spirit and wine, and make our choice based on the correct information this time, hopefully

Edited by rubydoobydoo

My point was that I don't think (my opinion) the majority of the passengers will be complaining about the liquor that has been taken off the lists. I believe that they realize that they purchased (or got for free) a drink package that allows them free drinks during their cruise and that is what they will be getting.

The drink package is certainly not free....no matter how you look at it. Those who selected it as part of 1-2-3 or other perk with a choice gave up $300 or free gratuities for the drink package. While still a big savings, the cost was at least that $300.

Yes, if someone purchased the package, perhaps they could get a refund before use...I don't know. For those who chose the classic drink option of 1-2-3, they did not have the option to change their minds, once they found what was now included in the classic package on board.

Just trying to add some accuracy....may not change anyone's outlook though.

Edited by ghstudio

I don't see how Celebrity can post included brands for all the ships in the fleet (ie go on the website and see what is listed). Each ship probably will have slightly different selections depending where it is sailing, where the next re supply port is etc. When we were in Asia we had 4 different kinds of Asian beer available. 3 fell under the Classic pkg and one under the premium. Probably would not find those selections on a SA or Baltic cruise. On our Med (Rome to Venice) cruise they ran out of the wine I liked. Their secure warehouse is in Rome so it would also be out for the return leg as well. Rome was where they were restocking the ipad minis as they were all sold the first week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Christine Frances

We paid for the package based on the name of drinks that were on the list, not based on beer, spirt wine etc. under a certain price limit

it was decided that because the name of the drink that we would buy was on the list it would be a good deal to purchase the package and have unlimited, NOT, free drinks of those brands. It was expensive so we thought long and hard about if it was worth getting but as his favourite drink were on the list we went for it

If we had know prior to buying the package that we would not get those drinks we may not have paid for it and just paid for each drink as went along,

We didn't know until we were actually refused drinks, so that choice was taken away from as as we could not cancel then

As it happens my husband made the best of what was available, but I am sure he would have preferred to have fewer drinks of his actual choice and pay for each one rather than unlimited drinks of second best

It is not about drinking free drinks so who cares what is on the list, it is about having what you paid for, he paid for unlimited Famous Grouse Whiskey not unlimited whiskey as he does not drink any other brand so that choice was taken away for him and he had to drink something else that he would rather not of had

Next time we will still buy a package but we will buy one thinking we get unlimited beer, spirit and wine, and make our choice based on the correct information this time, hopefully

when you found out that the brands you liked we're not included, why didn't you ask for a refund and purchase what you wanted?

There used to be a hotel chain that promised "no surprises".

There are a few people on these boards that really don't get the cumulative impact of "gotcha" pricing.

Cut backs in staffing... doesn't affect me

Cut backs in entertainment.. doesn't affect me

Pay for Zumba now doesn't affect me

Removal of your favourite wine or mixed drinks from the package one "purchased" in good faith.. doesn't affect me

We know by now those people who think that it's all about them and not about how others feel about recent changes.

OK, one may be satisfied with very little, but there are many who resent the fact that what was offered when we booked is no longer available.

There are a few posters who keep on belittling those who are actually experiencing a deterioration of the Celebrity experience. I just wish they would stop pretending that their imagination is the same as an actual recent cruising experience.

There is not a single example of an improvement in Celebrity's Modern Luxury experience reported over the last four months but many negative reports by people who actually have a cruising experience to share.

"Where's the beef" .. don't you realize you only paid for the bun?

This is no longer about a single pebble in my shoe, this is becoming a major issue despite the willful blindness of the people who continue to attack the messengers.

I think that X shot themselves in the foot. They offered this perk and many, many people took adavantage of it. Probably a lot more than they thought. The bars are busier and X has now decided that maybe it's costing them more than they originally thought thus they made changes.

No I don't think they should have made these changes without some type of heads up. It does look a little underhanded on their part. We always upgrade to the Premium package so it will be interesting to see what we now have to pay out of pocket.

This topic is certainly, and quite correctly, producing huge interest on various CC threads. Some people don't think that downgrading the drink package is important. I suspect they would think differently if Celebrity downgraded their cabin after they'd paid for it. And being given a "free"upgrade counts as paid.

In the UK we fortunately have consumer protection laws that are quite strong. Service providers can't change their offer once it has been booked. We also have a small claims court system that allows you to sue with no financial risk. I'm sure Celebrity in the UK are appalled at what Corporate has done because they are going to end up sending lots of people - myself included - cheques to cover any excess we have had to pay if we were not able to have the drinks we expected under the Classic package when booked.

I despair when I see postings by people like NLH Arizona. Yes, a cruise can still be "great" despite the cut-backs. True. A hamburger can still be "great". But would your hamburger still be "great" if it was thinner; had less onions and cheese?

We sail, and have sailed, on many cruise lines. You quickly learn - and learn to ignore - the flag wavers on CC for each line.

This may also keep the cruise lines from offering this type perk to those outside of the US and Canada in the future.