Statendam delayed sailing

DAllenTCY

I'd like to thank the Captain and ship staff for waiting several hours before sailing today to accomodate those passenger affected by the wild fires in San Diego County. Not only were the major freeways closed for hours, but Amtrak sevice was brought to a halt as well. As far as I know, there were at least 17 guests on one delayed train. The flames continue to destroy home after home, and it is close to 8 pm as a write.

David

We just came off the Statendam from a 29 day cruise yesterday. Does not surprise me what the Captain and HAL did.

This was the best HAL staff and crew we had ever experienced in 37 HAL cruises.

We just came off the Statendam from a 29 day cruise yesterday. Does not surprise me what the Captain and HAL did.

Glad to hear good things about the Statendam as we will sail her in November. Living in southern California as we do is beautiful but scary at times. It is painful to watch pristine places like Carlsbad burning.

Karen

How's the condition of the ship itself? Will the staff/crew change over with the repositioning to Alaska? I'll be going in 6 weeks!

So happy to hear things are going so well on Statendam. :)

Who is her current Captain?

Welcome Back. Sounds like you had a great cruise.

I am very glad that you experienced a very public relations oriented ship's Master, who ever he/she is, on the Statendam.

Listening to the marine audio on the Port Everglades web cam these most recent months, I have not appreciated what I have heard said from one or two of HAL's Masters to their Port Agent. Their impatience to get underway before published scheduled time does not sit well with me. As far as I am concerned, the ship should not sail before the time that is published for it to do so.

One particular incident really irrated me. The Master of the Nieuw Amsterdam, who apparently had just taken over command from what I heard, let the Port Agent know in no uncertain terms that he was very unhappy with the tardy arrival of the line handlers and that the Port Agent should let the Port Authorities know that this is not to happen again. He indicated that his schedule was paramount in importance. I would love to know who this "Captain Grumpy" is. If I was HAL's CEO, this man would need to have some PR training before he commands another one of my ships.

How's the condition of the ship itself? Will the staff/crew change over with the repositioning to Alaska? I'll be going in 6 weeks!

Ship is in good shape for being 20 years old. Some of the crew and staff leave the ship in Vancouver.

This was the best run ship ever; due in most part to the Hotel Director, Bert, who will be on the ship through August. The best way to describe it was that almost everyday we had a "jaw dropping" event as it pertained to the service on this ship.

So happy to hear things are going so well on Statendam. :)

Who is her current Captain?

Welcome Back. Sounds like you had a great cruise.

Captain Smit

Ship is in good shape for being 20 years old. Some of the crew and staff leave the ship in Vancouver.

This was the best run ship ever; due in most part to the Hotel Director, Bert, who will be on the ship through August. The best way to describe it was that almost everyday we had a "jaw dropping" event as it pertained to the service on this ship.

This is so nice to hear. We are sailing the Statendam Jan-March next year, and while the Captain will most certainly change, I love hearing there's a "can do" attitude on board. Does anyone have an idea who the Officers/Hotel Manager will be in January 2015?

Thanks for you response! This will be our first HAL cruise, so this is good news for us :)

My daughter lives up in the North County in the Vista area. They have been lucky so far and it looks like things are calming down tonight. VERY unusual weather for May and way to early for this heat (102 where I live) and all these fires.

Captain Smit

I believe we had this Captain Smit on the NA in Oct 2013 and he ran a good ship. I saw him out and about inspecting the ship numerous times and when we has to cancel Livorno due to bad weather he was there on the passenger decks interacting and explaining why. I just got a really good feeling about this man from watching his interaction with crew and port workers.

My take- a sailor,an officer, a leader and down to earth.

The Statendam is lucky to have him.

That is a real compliment because there are some fine Captains and crews on the Holland America Line,

We are possibly planning sail on Statendam in early 2015. I have been reluctant to book because the ship is now 20 years old and had some negative reviews.

Our choice is Statendam or Island Princess. I heard rumours that Statendam was to be transferred out of the fleet in 2015.

• 1 month later...
We are possibly planning sail on Statendam in early 2015. I have been reluctant to book because the ship is now 20 years old and had some negative reviews.

Our choice is Statendam or Island Princess. I heard rumours that Statendam was to be transferred out of the fleet in 2015.

I've been on both ships and would take the Statendam any day over the Island Princess. So she is 20 years old, she is in great shape. We were on her for 43 days in Nov/Dec of last year and had a wonderful cruise.

Disembarked a week ago after an Alaska tour/cruise. My inside, basement, troglodyte room was very nice. Soft goods in great shape, bathroom excellent, stateroom guy very good. The ship has been well cared for and updated as needed. Dining room not crowded and the food was good. I will miss her.

.......I was horrified to be reading of the severe fires,. ships waiting (that was a good thing) and CC members with friends losing their homes to the wild fires in California.... And then I looked at a date and it was May, over a month ago, not today.

I am also glad though that it was resurected though because I'd missed this thread.

Thank you to the OP and most specially, Thank You Captain and Crew of the ms Statendam!!

Joanie

Disembarked a week ago after an Alaska tour/cruise. My inside, basement, troglodyte room was very nice. Soft goods in great shape, bathroom excellent, stateroom guy very good. The ship has been well cared for and updated as needed. Dining room not crowded and the food was good. I will miss her.

Thanks for the update. We will be on her in ONE week!