When does the upgrade fairy visit?

To those if you fortunate enough to have been visited by the upgrade fairy, how long before sailing did you find out about your upgrade? How did you find out? I am Looking for true, surprise upgrades of people who booked assigned staterooms, not Guarantees. Thanks!

Last upgrade (August 2013) we were upgraded the afternoon prior to sailing. There was no verbal notification from RCI. We found out because we received a new email that our cruise docs were ready. A few prior have been just a couple of days before sail date.

Good luck.

M

In April 2013, we booked a grand suite because it was a good deal on a 6 night Bermuda cruise on Explorer. About 4 days prior to the cruise we received an email that our cruise docs were ready. When I logged into the website, I noticed we were upgraded to the Owner's suite. A nice surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The last time I saw the upgrade fairy, she was being hauled off to the ER for a transfusion of fairy dust! In more than 30 cruises with RCI I am batting zip, zero, nada, the big bagel..... My profile says I will accept an upgrade. Can't even attribute the lack of upgrades because of choosing the low rent, low deck cabins since we normally stay in balcony and above:confused:.

The last time I saw the upgrade fairy, she was being hauled off to the ER for a transfusion of fairy dust! In more than 30 cruises with RCI I am batting zip, zero, nada, the big bagel..... My profile says I will accept an upgrade. Can't even attribute the lack of upgrades because of choosing the low rent, low deck cabins since we normally stay in balcony and above:confused:.

Lol sounds like me! I gave up thinking it's going to happen the only way I'm getting upgraded is if I pay more and I rather not that's spending money :):)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This past November we sailed on Allure over Thanksgiving. I had talked to the Diamond Plus desk a few weeks prior to our sailing to inquire about the possibility of getting an upgrade from our D8 balcony cabin and they said that upgrades a lot of times happen on Tuesdays. I guess that is when they check the inventory. So 12 days prior to our cruise (on a Tuesday) I checked our reservation and sure enough it showed that we were booked in a Junior Suite! It was great but it ruined us because now we do not want to go back to a regular balcony!!!

We are currently waiting to board the Oasis and I received an Upsale call yesterday. The call came from Eugene Oregon and I didn't answer it but luckily they left a message. I was On hold with C&A for 30 minutes, which seemed like an eternity. I will be dancing onto the ship in just a little while

To those if you fortunate enough to have been visited by the upgrade fairy, how long before sailing did you find out about your upgrade? How did you find out? I am Looking for true, surprise upgrades of people who booked assigned staterooms, not Guarantees. Thanks!

Only at night in your dreams :)

I've never had RCCL give me an upgrade. I've had to ask. But I have kept an eye on the pricing and moved from a balcony to a GS after final payment. It pays to watch the prices as our GS pricing didn't even last a day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ditto ! We have the same problem. Zero, zilch, the golden sombrero. We are always striking out and we too always book balcony and above. Come to think of it, I was not very lucky with the tooth fairy growing up either.

We booked a D1 cabin on Adventure, and was never told that the upgrade fairy visited. We found out when the keys that we were issued did not open the cabin door. When we went to customer service, they just told us that we went to the wrong cabin (like we were stupid and didn't know where we were going) and they gave us a different cabin #. We were so confused, until we opened the door to a GS and realized we had been upgraded. Our luggage was tagged with the original cabin #, and even though the stewards said that they'd take care of it, when we hadn't received our luggage before dinner, we ended up having to find the suitcases at the original cabin location and wheeling them to the new cabin ourselves.

Tooth Fairy isn't too friendly around here......1 upgrade to JS- in almost 50 RCL cruises and we always book a Balcony.

Upgraded ourselves by paying- to a GS once, that was nice!!

We were upgraded from a JS to a GS on the Allure. We found out the day before via a phone call. Our next upgrade was the day of departure. The RCI website showed us as being upgraded from a GS to an OS on the Legend. Of course this is after 90 or so cruises. :)

We have been cruising for almost 30 years mostly on RCCL. We have gotten a free upgrade twice from Cat. D to JS. The first time was right after 9-11 and I think it was because the prices for cruising were in the cellar. At that time, however, I did not know that you could call and have your fare adjusted accordingly, so I think that may be why we got the upgrade. The second was about 5 years after that and I have absolutely no idea why. So 2 upgrades in nearly 30 years.....

How often does the upgrade fairy visit....NOT VERY !!!:D;)

Anyway to get your ok before they upgrade? Booked on TA in September on starboard side and would like to keep that side for the sun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a spot when you log into your C&A account-- for Upgrade Preferences. It is in the Profile section.

For our Med October 2013 cruise, we were doing 3 days precruise in Barcelona. Just before boarding my flight at 6 pm, I saw I had a voice mail, so I listened to it while my daughter says she wished she would have video taped my expression. I was beyond excited going from a E1 to a JS on the Serenade.

The VM stated, Hello this is xx from C&A, since my profile was set to automatic upgrade and my Status (D+) they were upgrading us to JS Cabin #xxxxx, she would reiusse the documents and they should be ready in 24 hours.

We were upgraded on board the Oasis. We used our door key to our intended balcony room only to find another family in our cabin. We all freaked out. We stomped down to guest services. Turns out our new cabin was actually a grand suite. Needless to say we were very surprised and very happy. Best thing Royal ever did because we got hooked on the GS's and have never turned back.