Cruising 3 months post-Achilles surgery?

ohhbother

Hi all.

My husband and I are booked on the Eclipse for eight nights in Norway in late August/early September. Unfortunately, I've injured my Achilles tendon and will be undergoing surgery to reconstruct it one week from today.

My doctor says I "should" be OK by cruise time, so long as I don't plan strenuous excursions. My questions are this. Has anyone ever cruised three months after Achilles surgery? How were the pain and swelling? And, for those of you have done a Norway cruise, will I miss out on too much if I have to choose low-key activities? Normally, we'd go hiking, biking, etc., but those things would be off the table for this trip.

Better to cancel and try again next year? Or go ahead this year, knowing we won't be as active as we normally are?

Thanks.

Amy

Hi all.

My husband and I are booked on the Eclipse for eight nights in Norway in late August/early September. Unfortunately, I've injured my Achilles tendon and will be undergoing surgery to reconstruct it one week from today.

My doctor says I "should" be OK by cruise time, so long as I don't plan strenuous excursions. My questions are this. Has anyone ever cruised three months after Achilles surgery? How were the pain and swelling? And, for those of you have done a Norway cruise, will I miss out on too much if I have to choose low-key activities? Normally, we'd go hiking, biking, etc., but those things would be off the table for this trip.

Better to cancel and try again next year? Or go ahead this year, knowing we won't be as active as we normally are?

Thanks.

Amy

Amy, I have been through the operation that you described. After 3 months the swelling and the pain were not too bad. Of course pain killers helped with that. If you are not taking anything for pain at that time, it could be a problem. My swelling at that point was not bad. If you really need activity levels to be high to enjoy your excursions or even the cruise, then I wouldn't recommend that you go this year. You will not feel like doing anything that puts pressure on your ankle. You may want to speak to your physical therapist. After 3 months I was doing extensive physical therapy to increase range of motion. At times this was quite painful. If you speak to your physical therapist and describe the things that you want to do on the cruise he/she may be able to let you know if you can reasonably expect to do them. I should let you know that I was 40 years old when I had my surgery. My 25 year old cousin just had the same surgery and recovered much faster than I did. I don't know your age, but it surely has a lot to do with recovery time.

Good luck, Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

My DW had knee surgery about 2 months before a cruise on a large ship (3,000 pax). Her Orthopedic doctor said he would advise against cruising that soon after surgery because a large ship involves a lot more walking than everyday life.

We decided to cancel and book later for that reason. The idea of being cabin bound on a cruise was unappealing.

It's a personal decision but your best advice would come from your surgeon and your therapist.

On the other hand, DW had total knee replacement 10 weeks prior to our 21 day Caribbean cruise in February. Yes, she wasn't 100% at that point, but she would say she was 90%. So she didn't do everything, but it didn't really hinder things.

So some pain meds might be required, and some days will be better than others. Perhaps it would be a good idea to limit real important excursions, and certainly plan more relaxed beach days or similar.

If you are accustomed to be very active and hiking and biking etc, I would think cruising with the limitations you are likely to still have could be very frustrating to you. Were it me, I would put off that cruise and wait until healed and you can enjoy it in the way you wish. To be in pain and unable to participate in acitvities you like is no vacation IMO

Each of us react differently after surgeries. Some people take longer to heal than others.

JMO -- but I would put off the cruise to a later time when you can enjoy it better. You don't want to find yourself in the situation where you may be sitting on the ship and taking pain pills.

And as Host Walt mentioned -- it may even be hard on you on some days to just get around on the ship.

My husband completely tore his ACL in December, had surgery in Feb (had to wait for swelling and what not to go down) and we cruise the Baltics this Wednesday.

He has been in physical therapy now for a couple of months, and is completely pain free. We have a very port intensive cruise, with a lot of walking on uneven ground. He has his brace, and is confident he'll be just fine.

As long as you take the time to recovery and get your knee moving and strengthen it up you'll be fine.

Best of luck.

do you already know where you will have post op PT? you might talk to the therapist and ask them about 'usual' recovery time, how long before you are full weight bearing, etc.

I think good therapists have a great grasp on the rehab time, especially if they have worked with you pre-op and know your motivation/ compliance with the home exercise program.

I wouldn't have thought the cruising would be the worst of it - what about the flight? It's a long time sitting.

As far as the cruise goes, if you are immobile or restricted, Norway's the ideal place to visit, because even if you never get off the ship you still have so much to see. If you do get off, many of the ports have quite extensive flat areas in the town or around the fjord - Bergen, Stavangar, Geiranger especially. And for the long distances to walk on board, you can always find a fold-up wheelchair and get hubby to push you around if you know you're going a long way.

On the other hand, you're expecting to get better - so if you have limited funds, and another window in which to sail, then I'd cancel till you're fully fit. But if you have buckets of spare cash and/or no alternate dates for your holiday, then go for it. On balance, I'd go for something nearer home this year and save Norway till you can do it all. (And book a fortnight! ;))

Thanks, everyone. After much consideration, we've decided to cancel the trip. Norway is a place I've always dreamed of visiting, and I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on any of the experience. As my brother-in-law said, Norway will still be there next year!

Thanks again for the insight.

Thanks, everyone. After much consideration, we've decided to cancel the trip. Norway is a place I've always dreamed of visiting, and I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on any of the experience. As my brother-in-law said, Norway will still be there next year!

Sounds like a good decision. Going all that way for an active cruise would have been likely to be highly frustrating due to limitations - and possibly damaging by overdoing things.

One thing about a trip to Norway, you can expect a lot more walking than would be apparent, especially with the various sites you'll be visiting.

In my opinion, your BIL is right. This way you'll have more time to plan and anticipate.

While a late August sailing is fine, see if you can book an earlier one, say June or July, when you'll have 18 - 20 hours of daylight.

Well, I had my surgery Friday. Now, I'm passing the time by reading Cruise Critic and counting down the minutes until my next pain pill. It's been a fairly excruciating experience, as the nerve block that was supposed to keep my leg numb for 24 hours didn't take. I ended up back in the ER Friday night, but things are slowly getting better.

I'm very happy with the decision to postpone the cruise. Otherwise, I'd already be worrying about it. Thanks again to everyone. Now, I've just got more time to plan my next trip. :-)

Hope your recovery goes well, my sister and BIL did the Norwegian Cruise last year and loved it (of course he is of Norwegian extraction).

Besides this years winner of the Amazing Race had Achilles surgery last year. He and his son completed the Amazing Race including the finale where he parachuted out of a Helicopter. They are now $1,000,000 richer.