Wearing Outfits more than once?

Jolucy

I am starting to plan my outfits for my 7 day alaska cruise next month. I am thinking of my daytime clothes, workout clothes (training for a half marathon so I will be running lots on the cruise), evening wear, etc that I need to bring. I am mostly concerned with evening wear. Do most people wear different outfits every night? I am debating brining 7 different night time outfits, or just switching things up with different accessories and shoes. I've never been on a cruise before and wanted to know what people typically do.

I am starting to plan my outfits for my 7 day alaska cruise next month. I am thinking of my daytime clothes, workout clothes (training for a half marathon so I will be running lots on the cruise), evening wear, etc that I need to bring. I am mostly concerned with evening wear. Do most people wear different outfits every night? I am debating brining 7 different night time outfits, or just switching things up with different accessories and shoes. I've never been on a cruise before and wanted to know what people typically do.

Just mix and match. With over 2000 people on the cruise it is very unlikely someone will not only recognize you wearing the same outfit twice but who likely not care.

Just mix and match. With over 2000 people on the cruise it is very unlikely someone will not only recognize you wearing the same outfit twice but who likely not care.
I agree. Mix and match. Nothing goes into my suitcase that can't be worn with something else to change the look. I even have reversible t-shirts with a solid color on one side, polka dots on the other. :) No one cares if you're wearing the same thing 2x-3x.

I usually bring two or three pair of slacks and different tops that can be worn interchangeably. There is nothing wrong with wearing things more than once. I have come to the conclusion that we all so concerned about what we are wearing we really don't pay much attention to what other people are wearing.

Alaskan cruises are more casual than most. On my 1st cruise (ever!) to Alaska in 2011, I WAY over packed! Brought nearly 2 outfits a day for daytime excursions and MDR dinners (not to mention the TWO formal nights!).

There is no reason not to 'rework' some outfits more than once. Additionally, Princess ships have laundromats on each deck, so you can do laundry as needed (if that is permitted on VACATION!)

You didn't mention if you are doing a land tour in addition to the cruise. I had brought a small suitcase to take with us on the tour and had the larger bag shipped directly to the ship, but friends of ours used 1 suitcase for the entire trip (of course, he never wears much more than jeans and t-shirts, so dressing up for dinner wasn't an issue! The buffet was his choice for dinner every night!)

for sure mix and match. plus its not as formal as you are probably thinking. jeans are perfectly fine for the days. I wear usually black dress pants with different tops for dinner. I have 2 formal outfits that I roll up and stuff in that don't wrinkle. for daytime, think layers: t-shirt, hoodie, windbreaker. last june, Alaska was having a heat wave. 25-30 C most days...that makes up for the year it poured.

On our first cruise, many years ago before the current airline luggage restrictions, I dragged along a different outfit for each day. Not only was it unnecessary, it was a pain in the neck.

At a presentation one day the CD on that cruise recommended on the next cruise to bring twice as much money and half as many clothes.

Great advice never goes out of date.

I completed a 51 day cruise in March, and what I seriously wore could have been packed in a carryon. One black dress and two different foofoo scarfy things. two pairs shorts. 4 shirts. 2 prs capris. wore jeans and packed one set. one skirt and two tops to mix match with jeans for dinner in the MDR. one set work out gear. one bathing suit. sweater and a fleece. black flats, flip flops, and sneakers. I rinsed out my clothes in the sink after wearing, and hung to dry on drip dry hangers in the shower. If you roll clothes rather than fold it is amazing how much will fit in a small suitcase.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I used to overpack, but have finally learned to scale back.

I put everything I am considering packing in the guest room, then go in and pare it down.

Shoes are the bulkiest items to be packed, so find a couple pair that can do double duty and leave the other cute shoes at home to wear with friends that will notice. ;)

Yes. Wear the same thing several times. You can even wear the same formal outfit for both nights. No one will remember what you wear, just your smile as you remember how easy it was to pack.:D

Black outfit, different jewelry. No one really notices.

I mix and match, I can easily get enough for a 7 day into my carry on (make-up is my downfall, and the reason I have a huge purse for my flight)different jewlery is enough to make a simple black dress look totally different.

My husband, on the other hand, plans on bringing a tux, two suits, two jackets, 6 shirts, and 5 pairs of pants- plus day time clothes. He's bothered I requested a night off from dressing up! I keep trying to convince him no one will care what he wears, but he says he cares. He's going to have more luggage than me and his mother combined! At least this time he's not adding his dress blues that have their own dedicated garment bag. :rolleyes:

Pack what you think you need , then thin out and thin out again. It's layered clothing for outdoors, and mix & match for evening. If you are driving to the pier then you don't have to be so careful with suitcase weight, pack outfits that you feel make you look and feel good.

How can I get my DW to read and heed this!!!

The only thing that stopped my serious overpacking - now I just overpack, but not nearly as seriously - was the time I had to carry my own luggage and meet my DH in our embarkation port. Ouch!!!!

Then there is massive weight gain or loss, so that one's wardrobe is more limited, and finally, the decision not to wear high heels anymore - cuts the shoe count way, way down.

Beyond that - well, just not happening!!! So sorry!:o

Alaska cruise on the Princess like someone else posted is VERY casual and I did not pack a dress.

We went in August and expected cool to very cold weather ( especially near the glaciers) and rain.

We had wonderful weather but still just wore layers for temperature changes.

Go with comfort and don't worry about the fashionistas which will be on other cruises! :-)

How can I get my DW to read and heed this!!!

Can't help with the reading but..........

Give her a suitcase and tell her that's all she can pack. Works for us.

If not, have her schlep all her own luggage.;)

My trick is to round up to an even number of days and then divide by two: a 7-day cruise +1 = 8/2 = 4. So I pack four nightime outfits and four daytime outfits. I'm not a "separates" wearer; I prefer dresses. But, on an iffy-weather cruise like Alaska, for evenings I'd probably take one black skirt, one "other" skirt or perhaps some skinny black or white jeans, two casual dresses, and two tops plus one cardy which can be layered or worn on its own. This leaves me plenty of room to add a second formal dress in case I don't feel like wearing the same one twice (I have a lot of cocktail dresses, so I like to give them all an equal chance to travel). And leaves me room for shoes, as I dislike wearing the same pair all the time.