How much does your suitcase usually weigh

kjeanne2001

Our cruises are usually 20+ days to cooler climates. We typically take one checked bag each in the 38-42 lb range, even though the last few times we've had a 70 lb limit for each of the allowed 2 free bags per person. I don't know what I could have packed to get close to that amount of 'stuff'. The last time we did a 7-day cruise we only checked one bag (not one each), about 38 lbs. We pack formal gear when we cruise. Every time I see posts that people can't take formal wear because of "airline weight restrictions", I wonder what they pack that we don't. Whatever it is, we don't miss it.

For a lot of people ii'm pretty sure that is the excuse they like to use. Why not just say we don't want to bring formal.

I like to have a lot of clothing choices so I'm close to the 50 lb mark. Some folks are ok with 2 shirts or blouses and 2 pairs of pants or something close. I hear people complaining at the port about how much other people bring. I can't imagine why its a problem for anyone else.

We each pack in our own suitcase what we think we need and weigh the suitcases; we use and carry a digital scale. When we each weigh in at 45 to 58 pounds maximum, we split up the items between the two suitcases. The weights are then again checked for 45-48 pounds.

Splitting up our clothes between suitcases assures we each have some clothing, unless both suitcases don't make it (which happened on one European trip a few years ago). We then each learned to carry one complete light-weight outfit in our carry-ons!

Ever since I switched to using only a carry-on bag for cruising, I usually have around 20-25 lbs. of stuff, depending on the destination climate. I also carry a small backpack with my electronics & a few personal items.

Switching to a carry-on strategy has worked very well for me and it has created much more ease in packing. I even used to be able to fit my tuxedo into my old TravelPro rolling carry-on bag. That suitcase had tremendous capacity for a bag that met the "45 inch" rule that most airlines use. Most airlines have a carry-on weight limit as well, but it has only come up once for me, and that was over 10 years ago. As long as the size meets their requirements, they don't seem to weigh the carry-on bags very often, and when they do, they generally let it slide if you are over.

My new TravelPro just won't hold as much and has provided an excuse to leave the tux at home. I realized a long time ago that you really don't need all that much on a cruise, especially after you start getting free laundry (or buy a package). Obviously, this strategy doesn't work for people who love dressing in different outfits every night. I sat next to a woman on a 2 week cruise who told me that she had brought 16 different outfits because she wanted to be able to choose something new every day. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I brought all my things in one small bag.

I cruise quite a bit and have a set of clothes I use exclusively for cruising. They are layers of things that can be combined in any combination. I'm on my third dark blue travel blazer from Travelsmith (washable, no wrinkle, works in hot climates). It takes me about 10 minutes to pack or unpack and I carry my stuff on and off the ship easily. It would be hard for me to go back to dragging around heavy suitcases.

Mikka, I bought a Travelpro for my 3rd Alaska trip. Loved it. I packed a change of clothing or two, Sudoku, books, snack bars, etc. Things you want available at any time until boarding. It has two side pockets to put things in.

Only wish it was a spinner as I found I couldn't roll it down the airplane aisle to my seat. Wasn't too heavy for a 3/4 century woman to lift to the overhead bin, altho, I did get some offers. I always check a medium size bag through to my destination. Concierge luggage. Wonderful aspect of cruising I learned the first time cruising.

Ever since I switched to using only a carry-on bag for cruising, I usually have around 20-25 lbs. of stuff, depending on the destination climate. I also carry a small backpack with my electronics & a few personal items.

Switching to a carry-on strategy has worked very well for me and it has created much more ease in packing. I even used to be able to fit my tuxedo into my old TravelPro rolling carry-on bag. That suitcase had tremendous capacity for a bag that met the "45 inch" rule that most airlines use. Most airlines have a carry-on weight limit as well, but it has only come up once for me, and that was over 10 years ago. As long as the size meets their requirements, they don't seem to weigh the carry-on bags very often, and when they do, they generally let it slide if you are over.

My new TravelPro just won't hold as much and has provided an excuse to leave the tux at home. I realized a long time ago that you really don't need all that much on a cruise, especially after you start getting free laundry (or buy a package). Obviously, this strategy doesn't work for people who love dressing in different outfits every night. I sat next to a woman on a 2 week cruise who told me that she had brought 16 different outfits because she wanted to be able to choose something new every day. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I brought all my things in one small bag.

I cruise quite a bit and have a set of clothes I use exclusively for cruising. They are layers of things that can be combined in any combination. I'm on my third dark blue travel blazer from Travelsmith (washable, no wrinkle, works in hot climates). It takes me about 10 minutes to pack or unpack and I carry my stuff on and off the ship easily. It would be hard for me to go back to dragging around heavy suitcases.

That's great that you can bring everything in a small bag. I don't think there is anything wrong with telling people. To me, that would be a nightmare. I'd be more like the lady you talk about. While I get free laundry there are a lot of my good clothes that I don't send. I don't use a dryer at home for clothing and don't like to use it on a cruise. I really don't care about my shorts, tanks or older shirts.

We have to bring 3 suitcases, because 2 for a 2 week cruise would be over 50 lbs each. What pushes me over the edge are the "liquids". I rewear clothes and DH will wear items at least 3 times. I used to stress---now I just pay the fee and chock it up to the cost of the cruise.

We have to bring 3 suitcases, because 2 for a 2 week cruise would be over 50 lbs each. What pushes me over the edge are the "liquids". I rewear clothes and DH will wear items at least 3 times. I used to stress---now I just pay the fee and chock it up to the cost of the cruise.

I have a lot of liquids too. Thats part of my problem. Just the skin care and hair products alone are a lot.

Just curious as this is the first time I have weighed my suitcase. I still am not close to 50 pounds and thought I had packed way too much.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

26" suitcase empty = 11 pounds. Weight prior to cruise = 46 pounds. After cruise = 49 - 51 pounds (Air Canada max is 50). The weight of my carry-on post cruise is another thing -- glad the airlines don't weight them:D

DH and I cross pack a garment bag each and a large case for shorts, swim suits, etc. and we got pretty good at needing to be tagged heavy but we were always under the 50# limit. I also don't buy they can't find room for formal wear as DH always packed his tux and I brought a different outfit for each formal night with heels to match.

I admire those folks who can travel for weeks with a carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Huskerchick

26" suitcase empty = 11 pounds. Weight prior to cruise = 46 pounds. After cruise = 49 - 51 pounds (Air Canada max is 50). The weight of my carry-on post cruise is another thing -- glad the airlines don't weight them:D

Westjet and air canada has been known to weigh them. When I was going thru fll they made me put mine into that checker to see if mine fit. It's regulation, maybe smaller. This was before security. Once at the gate they made multiple announcements about overweight carry ons and how they were going to charge people. It was a bit much I thought.

Edited by cruz chic

We just got back last Sunday. 13 days gone, including a 9-night cruise. I don't do laundry and prefer not to send it out. Our two older suitcases (24") weigh 13 pounds each UNPACKED. (Someday we will get new.) We dress for dinner so had tux and formal wear. Dress shoes, etc. (We love to dress up as it doesn't happen much in our day-to-day lives.) So...

Two 24" suitcases weighed 48 pounds each. One Extra Large LLBean rolling duffel weighed 66 pounds.

Caribbean cruises weigh less than that. This was the FLL to Quebec City reposition of the Veendam, and it was COLD. I was glad I had all those layers.

We carefully crosspack on the way there but when we head home, we pack any old how. We had to do some repacking after we got to our hotel in Montreal before we could go on the plane, because one of our suitcases had ended up with all the heavy stuff and was WAY over 50 lbs.

My husband is a Delta frequent flier so he is allowed one case up to 70 lbs and another (under 50 lbs) free. Everyone on his itinerary is also allowed two free suitcases, so I *could* have taken another but didn't. His parents were on our itinerary so also had free luggage. A very nice perk of DH's frequent flying!

Robin

We are usually always under weight but this recent cruise we were 5 lbs overweight returning from our cruise. The reason was the few things that we bought while on the cruise and we tried this cruise to take a larger and a smaller suitcase.

We learned a valuable lesson this trip. I placed the heaviest and biggest suitcase on the conveyor belt first. Of course it stopped to indicate that it was over weight. The attendant told us that it was a little overweight and suggested that we remove it from the conveyor belt and try and see if we could take some items from the heavier case and transfer it to the smaller case.

That is exactly what we did and we got both cases on the plane no problem. I thanked the airline attendant so much. She told me to always place your heavy item first. If you place your light items first and they are underweight the cases will just be pushed through the conveyor and you will be unable to retrieve them should you discover one suitcase is overweight. The charge for that overweight suitcase would have been $75.

I try to keep my suitcase around 45 for the flight over, and that includes a smaller, packable suitcase for the way back.

This last cruise, we spent 3 pre-cruise days in Quebec, and then I spent 12 days at home post-cruise and I managed it (even with the chilly weather of Eastern Canada in October) with one suitcase that weighed in at 42 pounds, including souvenirs for friends & relatives in the US and two carry-ons weighing 15 pounds each. I packed a small collapsible case for the return journey and ended up coming home with the 2 15-pound carry-ons and two checked bags weighing a combined 62 pounds. I was pleased with that for a month-long trip.

If we're flying our bags are always 48>49 lbs each because we first pack what we want and then start taking stuff out to get down to that weight! When we're driving to FLL we don't care about the weight. ;)

[quote name='travelinjones']Our bags are generally at 49 pounds (we weigh carefully) because we've got 2 bottles of our favorite wine that you can't buy at a store packed in them. [/quote]With the new rules, don't forget to take them out before you check your bag at the pier or they will probably be taken and held.

22 and 26 lbs respectively.

Does not matter too much where we go or for how long, this is about it. Often it goes as carry on. We have never been over but we always weigh it just-more out of habit than anything else. Edited by iancal

Land travel really changed how and what we pack.

We found ourselves restricted to what we could reasonably put in the trunk of a small European car, or covered in the hatchback so as not to invite theft.

We also had to limit ourselves to what we each could comfortably handle on own on train journeys in terms of getting on the train or easily lifting our bags into overhead racks. On each trip we seemed to cut back a little or change what we packed.

It is a very different proposition if you are flying/driving to a cruise port. It is much easier to handle additional luggage. Edited by iancal

Probably too much, although it depends somewhat on the length and specifics of the trip. On my last 65-day odyssey, the bags in the inset were something like this (left to right):

Green rick steve's bag about 20 pounds.
The red backpack: 35 pounds
The black hard side: 49 pounds

Roy