HELP! Need to contact passenger that might be on Zaandam!

Kesstral

I'm hoping someone in the HAL community can help me out. My father just passed away last night and my grandmother is desperately trying to get a hold of my uncle because he doesn't know. She doesn't know what ship he is on but I was able to find out that he was doing a 7 day return out of Vancouver and returns on Friday. This puts him most likely on the Zaandam. I can't seem to find any contact information for the ship and was hoping someone might have a phone number or email for guest services so I can try to get a message to him.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

Edited by Kesstral

At some point in your travels you may experience an emergency. With this in mind, the following emergency phone numbers are available for your use. Representatives are on hand to assist you in any way they can, including assistance with travel delays and contacting loved ones. During our regular business hours, please call: 800-426-0327.

Representatives are available from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday (Pacific Time). Outside of these hours and during holidays, please call 888-361-8803, or 206-301-5293.*

*This number is for emergency use only; please do not call unless you are experiencing an emergency of a critical nature.

Additionally, you can call the ship** directly from the shore. We recommend that you use this for the most critical emergencies only: Connecting to a Holland America Line vessel at sea is simple by using Ship Dial Service. A credit card is required for all inbound phone calls to a ship. The rate is $USD16.00 per minute and billing begins at the time specified. Please have the ship's name, your party's name and stateroom number before you call. Instructions:

1. Dial 1-800-993-5483 (US). From outside the U.S. access 1-321-837-6106.

2. Listen to the announcement.

3. Listen to the menu and select the number that corresponds to the ship you are calling.

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I don't know for sure if he is on that ship so don't have a room number. I tried the after hours number and they can't do anything to contact the ship. Some help they are.

I was hoping for maybe a contact email for guest services or concierge. I'll keep trying.

Thanks.

Edited by Kesstral

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I don't know for sure if he is on that ship so don't have a room number. I tried the after hours number and they can't do anything to contact the ship. Some help they are.

I was hoping for maybe a contact email for guest services or concierge. I'll keep trying.

Thanks.

Any luck yet?

Have you tried emailing him. Many people check their email while they're away. You could just ask him to call you and say it's an emergency if you don't want to tell him that way. Good luck, and I'm sorry for your loss.

I woud leave a message on his cell a lot of the time on that cruise there is Canadian cell service.Or U.S main cell service . You could also leave a text message to call .A lot of people also check there texts.Some of his friends may also know of other ways to get in touch example Facebook.

I tried the after hours number and was told to call the 1-800 number that charges $16 a minute. I tried to explain that I don't have a room number so can't contact them directly this way and they couldn't offer anything else to help. I finally gave in and tried calling the ship using that number, got a busy signal and hung up right away and now have a charge on my Visa for $88 (sitting in pre-auth so hoping it drops off or I'll be disputing). I don't have my uncle's email address but I did try sending him a text message last night (my mom had what might have been his cell number). I will be trying to regular corporate number shortly.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I might get flamed for this comment but if he is not able to or prepared to fly home between now and Friday (the end of the cruise) wouldn't the information just ruin the rest of his cruise?

I only say this as I myself learned of the death of my grandpa while I was cruising and all it did was ruin the rest of my cruise for me :(

IF I had found out the day I had disembarked instead it would have been a lot better...(I still had time to get the the funeral)

I tried the after hours number and was told to call the 1-800 number that charges $16 a minute. I tried to explain that I don't have a room number so can't contact them directly this way and they couldn't offer anything else to help. I finally gave in and tried calling the ship using that number, got a busy signal and hung up right away and now have a charge on my Visa for $88 (sitting in pre-auth so hoping it drops off or I'll be disputing). I don't have my uncle's email address but I did try sending him a text message last night (my mom had what might have been his cell number). I will be trying to regular corporate number shortly.

If the ship is in Skagway contact the Skagway Police department and explain the circumstances to them. They should be able to help as they have access to phone numbers that we don't.

Didn't your uncle tell anyone what ship he would be sailing on?

On the forms that we all have to fill out for our boarding passes, each passenger must give an emergency number that HAL can contact if something happens to you while on the cruise.

This should be able to work in reverse when there is an emergency at the other end.

You need to contact call Ship Services and ask for a supervisor -- explain everything. They can take down your uncle's name -- go through the records for ships in Alaska and match up the two. Then they can send a message to your uncle on the ship to contact you.

This was my thought as well. Maybe my family is weird, but when I travel solo or in a group, my parents and my sister have my itinerary and travel information with numbers. When my sister travels solo or in a group itms the same. And when my parents travel, my sister, myself and our aunts and uncles all have the information. I can't imagine going off and no one having any idea where I was or how to get in touch with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't imagine going off and no one having any idea where I was or how to get in touch with me.

I do it all the time.

My neighbor knows, since she checks the house. But no one related would think to contact her.

OP, I do hope you are able to make contact, if only to put your grandmother at ease.

This was my thought as well. Maybe my family is weird, but when I travel solo or in a group, my parents and my sister have my itinerary and travel information with numbers. When my sister travels solo or in a group itms the same. And when my parents travel, my sister, myself and our aunts and uncles all have the information. I can't imagine going off and no one having any idea where I was or how to get in touch with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is what I've been thinking reading this thread.

Doesn't anyone know where this man is? Know his cell phone number? His e-mail address? :confused:

Perhaps he doesn't want to be reached about anything.

If he travels so 'secretively', it is possible that is how he wants it.

Very sorry about your loss and hope things out as well as can in regards to your uncle.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I might get flamed for this comment but if he is not able to or prepared to fly home between now and Friday (the end of the cruise) wouldn't the information just ruin the rest of his cruise?

I only say this as I myself learned of the death of my grandpa while I was cruising and all it did was ruin the rest of my cruise for me :(

IF I had found out the day I had disembarked instead it would have been a lot better...(I still had time to get the the funeral)

agree

We're like RuthC. While our family will know that we are going on a vacation or cruise, they don't really pay attention to all the details. Our cat sitter has contact numbers for the oil company, plumber and a trusted family member, and knows we are traveling but I wouldn't count on the details. We leave a note with arrivals and departures but generally we are go with the flow so what happens in between is not set.

When we travel out of the country we don't use cell phones (we have dumb phones) and usually don't take a computer.

I don't think it is unusual for the family not to know all the details.

We're like RuthC. While our family will know that we are going on a vacation or cruise, they don't really pay attention to all the details. Our cat sitter has contact numbers for the oil company, plumber and a trusted family member, and knows we are traveling but I wouldn't count on the details. We leave a note with arrivals and departures but generally we are go with the flow so what happens in between is not set.

When we travel out of the country we don't use cell phones (we have dumb phones) and usually don't take a computer.

I am not as detailed about this as I used to be, but I still send all my family our travel schedules, where we will be staying and the dates. Certainly the ship name (as HAL instructs you to do). I tell ALL of my family (about 10 people) since I figure that way at least 1 of them will remember - all too true!

DaveOKC

Sorry for your loss, Kesstral. It is not good news that Holland America has been unhelpful, but I would not want them giving out my personal information to someone over the phone. My request would be, "If my uncle [full name] is aboard, could you please tell him that his brother [full name] has died and we would like him to call his mother? Thank you." I would be terribly disappointed if HAL refused.

I give my relatives contact information for hotel stays and cruises and tell them not to spend $16 per minute to phone me. I always plan to check email daily. I also ask them not to tell me any bad news while I am in the middle of the Atlantic and can not do anything about it anyway.

Yes, that is why it is more thoughtful to let your family know - so they don't have to go through what the OP is now experiencing. Sometime quick decisions must be made, and leaving these decisions to others places a tremendous and unnecessary burden on them.