Flame Away ~ POA review

3Kittens

Just like any tipped worker in the US, if the employee makes the equivalent of minimum wage through base wage and tips, the employer needs do nothing more.

That's true in many states, but not all. A handful of states in the west, including the very large California, do not recognize the tip credit, and in such states (including my own) employees must receive the FULL minimum wage paid by the employer PLUS any tips received by or credited to them.

It appears that Hawaii, to the extent that its laws would be applicable the POA, allows only a very small tip credit (subject to some weird accounting rules) and that's what begs my question. So if Hawaii law applies, I would expect the employees to receive very close to the full minimum wage PLUS a share of the DSC.

I actually have stayed in quite a few hotels that did provide turn down service ( I don't really like or need this but..) Anyways, I think you have a very good point here. Why not scale back some of the steward fluff jobs in the evening? Would it impact their overall salary? Maybe they could work longer day hours to make up for this?? And maybe they would be more rested and happy? Surely this would reflect on everyone?

But I'm sure the cruise lines have thought of all these angles.

The butler really is a (JUST MY OPINION) a waste of monies. I think they might really be a trouble shooter rather than an actual hands on worker?? Ours did nothing but chat, or look to see if we needed coffee. 3 nights she brought canapés. Once we asked for wine glasses, and the other time we asked for some fruit. Don't really think we should have had to ask for these, but it was no biggy for us. She was pleasant, and friendly. And not US born.

I think the only people who really appreciate the services of a butler are those that do a lot of in room dining (which we don't).

But I have to admit a good butler can make a difference. Ones that are observant will replenish what you are using without prompting. Will notice that you brought cheese and crackers back to your cabin and will be sure to bring you some. Little things like that.

Kailua-Kona- This is a tender port. They went quick. Pier has a "welcome type" tent, and a couple of taxis. There is a small beach to left at Courtyard Hotel. There were folks using it.

To the right of pier is also a very small beach swimming area. People were actually swimming here also. Not my cup of tea, only due to fear of fuel/oil from the many boats in the area. Wasn't rough, and all seemed to be enjoying.

Kona was an interesting little town. Very tight and hilly in the pier area, but spread out further north east.

We rented a car here, and was the only "bust" of the car rentals.:mad: My fault. I assumed the car rental would be close by, or would provide a shuttle. So after a mini meltdown, we agreed to pay the cabbies price and off we set ($30.) It was a bitter sweet ride. Approx 20-25 min to airport rental, but the cabbie was fascinating. He resembled Dog Bounty Hounters cousin. He gave us a very short practical "locals" take on the history of Kona and all it's issues.

We drove north through the lava fields on a well paved highway. The lava flows are interesting. Plant life unique and placement of stones rather than "tagging" the rocks fun to read as you zip by. The beaches north are lovely.

Swam for most of the morning at Hapuna Beach. The hotels in this area are very nice.Restrooms here.

Slowly made our way back to Kailua-Kona and wandered in the town. Lots of little spots to grab lunch or a drink. Many little shops and people milling around. Some took advantage of the two small beaches on either side of the pier.

Got lost (poor old Garmin is on it's last legs), but found the most beautiful view on the island. Way up in the mountain above the port. Lovely area. View outstanding if low cloud cover cooperates.

Car return necessitated the use of a taxi ($30) again. This time, we took car shuttle to airport and caught a cab from there. (Airport about a 3 min ride from shuttles). This cabbie gave us more local flavour, often hilarious.Found an Enterprise car rental close to pier and another local one…….. next time……..

That's true in many states, but not all. A handful of states in the west, including the very large California, do not recognize the tip credit, and in such states (including my own) employees must receive the FULL minimum wage paid by the employer PLUS any tips received by or credited to them.

It appears that Hawaii, to the extent that its laws would be applicable the POA, allows only a very small tip credit (subject to some weird accounting rules) and that's what begs my question. So if Hawaii law applies, I would expect the employees to receive very close to the full minimum wage PLUS a share of the DSC.

I didn't know that. It might help explain why during the first couple of years, NCL didn't pay anything from the DSC to the crew. That changed, and the entire handling of the DSC changed several times when I was there, and I'm sure its changed since, driven by not only the half million dollar class action suit by crew and former crew, but also by the Manila Conventions of the IMO. This labor convention that addresses the rights of seafarers has caused a lot of cruise lines to restructure their wage packages (not the amount, just how it is broken down) for most of their crew, as it defines overtime as mandatory, etc.

I know that NCL, as most lines do, dances around calling the DSC a "tip" or "gratuity", but as an "incentive program". Since the POA crew are unionized, it may be in their contract that the DSC is part of their wage structure, and is defined as an incentive that can vary. In the early days, most of the crew were at minimum wage, but that it may have gotten better over the years, so that the DSC now provides some incentive towards service as it now can exceed minimum wage.

Gentle reminder, I'm not complaining. Already stated I had a wonderful time.

I am only pointing out the facts as we saw them, for anyone who is researching this cruise.

As stated, I have NO issue swiping my cards. Actually, relatively effective way of bean counting.

Thank you chengkp75 for info about crew. I wouldn't want to get anyone into trouble, but did speak with a "union person". They explained how NCL skirts the green card worker vs the American worker. (bringing onboard more Asian workers from other ships who already have green cards) All done to improve service of course. And yes, you are very correct about North American workers vs others. We tend to take too much for granted re jobs. Sometimes it's best to be a little hungry. It' makes you appreciate more.

As to the ability to full fill your contract, you are correct. I hadn't thought of that.

As to the food… well, it is well documented that NCL has horrible food, so I'm not the first to suggest it was anything but horrible:D. I have sailed on 6 other lines, and only compared NCL with those. I did not find the others this unpalatable.

I was not complaining about Kona being ugly, only stating the obvious. If you want ugly…. most European ports are brutal.

Since most posters don't want to read my opinion of the Hawaiian islands and my post cruise stay, I won't take the time. Strange how a difference of opinion isn't welcome, to help formulate your own cruise research??:confused:

Of course you are complaining, why would you even suggest you would not take NCL again? Yes, you said you had a good time, it would be hard to do Hawaii and not have a good time, but you are complaining. Some of your complaints are legit , as you see them. Food is subjective, you did not like it, even called it terrible. That is your opinion, most here are just giving theirs, you were not happy with the crew, that, again, is your experience, others are saying they had no problems or explaining why the lack of service might exist. You posted your opinion, you knew you would get some slack and now, you seem to be a little offended. I think your opinion did help a few decide not to do POA> that was your intent. Some of your views seem to be nit picking: had to show a picture ID, we did when coming through the gate in St Thomas just a few weeks ago. This had nothing to do with NCL and I would never have thought to list it as a negative: the same with ugly ports. So what? Anyway, obviously your review or opinion is just yours and obviously some are going to disagree with you. You knew this when you posted, that is why your title refers to flaming.

Of course you are complaining, why would you even suggest you would not take NCL again? Yes, you said you had a good time, it would be hard to do Hawaii and not have a good time, but you are complaining. Some of your complaints are legit , as you see them. Food is subjective, you did not like it, even called it terrible. That is your opinion, most here are just giving theirs, you were not happy with the crew, that, again, is your experience, others are saying they had no problems or explaining why the lack of service might exist. You posted your opinion, you knew you would get some slack and now, you seem to be a little offended. I think your opinion did help a few decide not to do POA> that was your intent. Some of your views seem to be nit picking: had to show a picture ID, we did when coming through the gate in St Thomas just a few weeks ago. This had nothing to do with NCL and I would never have thought to list it as a negative: the same with ugly ports. So what? Anyway, obviously your review or opinion is just yours and obviously some are going to disagree with you. You knew this when you posted, that is why your title refers to flaming.

Oh my you seem a tad offended. The OP stated their opinion. The OP didn't blame NCL for "ugly ports" so relax and breath. As for swiping in I didn't read it as a complaint but someone just stating what you had to do to reboard the ship. NCL happens to be my favorite cruise line but I enjoy reading everyone's opinions.

OP please continue as I am enjoying reading about your experience in Hawaii and am also happy for the photos.

3Kittens, Seems people are trying to burn a hole in your flame retardant suit. You had a great time on your cruise; some things could have gone better, and some were fine. Nice suite pictures; quite large and roomy. Your opinion on food is justified; you had some good food and service and you had some not so good food and service;; I get that. Not everyone who cruises gets it. I know NCL monitors this web forum and they can take away a few things. First; the crew of POA do not provide outstanding service consistently. This would be a concern for any company who is in the hospitality business. Your opinion was questioned by your writing a review of your experience; now a few people were offended because they read that you think food on ALL NCL ships is not great; You shouldn't have been flames for posting your personal experience. They are your comments and opinions and you should be able to post them Some people may agree; and some disagree; so where do we stand? We book another cruise and we have fun.

Of course you are complaining, why would you even suggest you would not take NCL again?

Do you enjoy acting as the resident NCL champion - responding to anyone and everyone who doesn't like their NCL experience?

Carry on 3Kittens - Some of us actually like to read various opinions of cruises.

3Kittens, it was your cruise and your opinion. Thanks for the review. Even though I have cruised since 1996, I have not been on NCL. That will change in the fall but I am sticking to the Caribbean. I don't care for the service from the US crew as have been documented over and over so I will stay away from POA.

3kittens... thanks for posting the info on the ports. DW & I will be on this cruise in September and I'm always interested in reading about other peoples' experiences.

Personally, when I read reviews, I take them with a grain of salt... as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We've been on two other cruises with NCL and have been fortunate enough to have had nothing but good things to say about them. Did some things go wrong... sure, but nothing that couldn't be corrected by addressing the issue on the spot.

Regarding your thoughts on the quality of the food; Even the best chefs in the best restaurants have a bad night once in a while... and preparing meals for 1000+ passengers at a time is a task I want no part of, so although I tend to cut the chef's a little slack, they don't get a free pass if the overall quality isn't there. Therefore, if I'm not satisfied with something that I order in one of the restaurants, I notify the wait staff immediately. On the few times I've done so, I left the restaurant very satisfied.

As for the "cost" of the cruise, EVERYTHING in Hawaii is expensive! One thing everyone seems to forget... the ship's supplies for each week's cruise are purchased in Hawaii. This is most certainly reflected in the cost of the cruise.

Aside from what I've expressed above, thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions. ;)

Edited by azappraiser

3 kittens, I am in the middle of doing my trip report of 5/10/14 in the Hawaii forum where people are actually interested in what you have to say and not flame you for opinions. My take is a little different from yours because I loved everything about the POA but that's the beauty of having a different pair of eyes for each topic. As you might have noticed, the POA is not that big a subject here in the main forum but mostly the other NCL ships. Just looking down at the past voyages from the frequent posters here, very few of them list POA.

Kauai- The most beautiful island. Very laid back, humid, ever changing weather depending on where you are. Note to self… forget the convertible, unless you're into damp everything or pulling over to put up or on :)

The pier is very close to the Marriott hotel. Which has a nice beach, somewhat crowded or busy. The hotel welcomes guests from the ship. It was an easy walk one evening for a dinner date. I asked Pier Security if it was safe to walk at night, and they sincerely replied yes. They were on duty for the night at the gate. Ship security on duty inside ship at swipe in machines.

We rented a car for the first day in Kaui, and headed out to the beautiful beach of Poi Pu. Spent the morning swimming with the lovely (large) fish. Many folks doing the same. There is also an area for the wee ones that is very safe. Restrooms.

We then headed north to the lighthouse. It is just that.Many small villages enroute both ways that were interesting. Unfortunately for us, this is where we made a big mistake….. we ended up at the Blow Hole. Many chickens, and a few stalls of sellers with their wares. The hole was blowing, the water a bit rough, so the spews were pretty tall. Great photos.

We were booked on a ship tour for Waimea Canyon, and this was also a stop…. made for a bit of a boring sections of the Waimea Canyon tour, by having seen it the day before (without the crowds).

The ship tour of Waimea Canyon was a bust. Elderly passengers with various ailments which made for slow going. The bus driver was hysterical though, and he helped ease the four hour tour away. I wouldn't recommend this tour.

If you are renting a car, it is a very easy drive to the Canyon. This area of Kaui becomes drier. Coffee is grown here, and also some historical interests. There was a short stop in a knick knack/jewelry store of course. (very clean restrooms). Lunch was not included.

The reason we took this tour, was it was a short day in Kaui, therefore didn't want to have to worry about missing ship or the time it takes to return a car. Speaking of car rentals, if was very easy. Shuttle provided for airport rentals.

Post Cruise hotel- We grabbed a cab from ship to airport car rental. Time 25 min, cost $30. Airport rental was once again easy to do, and relatively quick. We then headed up centre of Oahu to the north coast for the day. Stopped in spots to watch surfers and have lunch etc.

The Kahala Hotel. Located on the other side of Diamond Head. About a 15 min drive to Waikiki, and away from the bustle and hustle of Waikiki. It is at the same location of the Waialae Country Club for you golfers (members only). Hotel is a grand old girl with very good service. Beach is nice, and good for kids. Restaurant food slightly excessive on the gourmet side, and prices huge. Spa and shops. Pool somewhat dated, but warm and clean. Very clean throughout property.Wifi worked relatively well. Could have stayed another week here. Staff outstanding in service and friendliness. Housekeeping very efficient and unobtrusive.

There were quite a few weddings here this week, but they appeared to be over with quite quickly and kept mainly separate from hotel guest areas.

Breakfast was included in rate, and was very good.

It was conveniently located in a residential area with shopping. Hawaii Kai golf about 15 min north, and Turtle Bay more north of that. Very picturesque driving.

Tour of USS Arizona was good. Apparently issues with ticketing of late. We had non and had reordered the audio tour online prior to vacation. Honolulu War Cemetery Memorial is beautiful, high up on a hill. (car had good brakes :)

I have a few friends who swear by NCL. They won't sail on anything else! But as you said….. not many sail or have sailed on the POA.

We joked before leaving that if we absolutely fell in love with this cruise, we would put a deposit down while onboard on one of their other ships.

We both loved the freestyle cruising, and I know this is a hot topic for all the other cruise line forums. I agree, that the others need to have a serious look at this. It's 2014, time for big changes.

I for one am not ok with jeans in the dining room for dinner, but lunch and breakfast??? Definitely.

Am I for tank tops on men?????? NO WHERE but your backyard pool!!! hee hee

Actually POA did have one night where they suggested "dress up".

As I said, we knew that this cruise was to be approached as a floating hotel/ taxi service. We wanted that ability to see more islands without living out of an airport catching little island hoppers. We got what they delivered. We had a great time. I just think that POA could improve on their product, and am not afraid to give my opinion with respect of course.

I had heard about wear and tear. Yes, in some areas. (Heck the Constellation had more wear and tear a year ago, and she was in fine shape to me.) I loved the little lounges, they were a bit dated in decor, but very conducive to the mood. What did I really dislike?? The Bistro Grill, and Cadillac Diner.

What did I like? Pinks Champagne Bar. The carpet, chandelier and piano area made me picture Dean Martin coming out to sing with a glass in one hand and a cigarette in the other. I even took a photo of the carpet.:rolleyes:

I had heard about wear and tear. Yes, in some areas. (Heck the Constellation had more wear and tear a year ago, and she was in fine shape to me.) I loved the little lounges, they were a bit dated in decor, but very conducive to the mood. What did I really dislike?? The Bistro Grill, and Cadillac Diner. What did I like? Pinks Champagne Bar. The carpet, chandelier and piano area made me picture Dean Martin coming out to sing with a glass in one hand and a cigarette in the other. I even took a photo of the carpet.:rolleyes:

That suite looks fabulous. We were on the POA several years ago in a balcony cabin and the bathroom was just dreadful. The service on board is more than a few steps down from the other Norwegian cruises we have been on, but I'm sorry to hear that it is the same in suites. We disliked the Cadillac Diner and loved the Champagne Bar too.

We did the same on Kauai with renting a car the first day and going on the ship tour to Waimea the second day. Definitely agree that we should have done Waimea on our own, but we didn't mind repeating the blow hole stop. Chickens are all over that island. I'm not a big fan, but many people are. To each their own. What about the Na Pali sail by - wasn't it spectacular? And did you go to the cocktail party on the bow at sail away?

Edited by herdingdogmom