With high prices and bad reviews why sail celebrity?

Loyal2Royal1995

There is no doubt that MSC Divina sailing the Carib out Miami is by far the best value at this time, due to their aggressive marketing and brand building effort. She is a nearly new ship, with a very high end Italian decor. The live music and dance venues are top notch and plentiful. The food is OK and the itinerary is just OK, but not exotic. But having said that, we have sailed her twice and can recommend Divina at least once for anyone looking for something similar to what I've heard about Celebrity.

Have you only "heard about Celebrity", or have you actually taken a Celebrity cruise?

FWIW, I had a long chat with an onboard member who should be in the know. What this person described for what's ahead in entertainment, is very concerning. I only hope they reconsider their plans, but I doubt they will.

Several of you have commented on the future of the entertainment as you all seem to have some insider connections, but the rest of us probably have no idea what you are referring to. Would you please let us in on this "secret" you are sharing?

Several of you have commented on the future of the entertainment as you all seem to have some insider connections, but the rest of us probably have no idea what you are referring to. Would you please let us in on this "secret" you are sharing?

I believe that there was an article on the subject in the March 13th NY Times. This appeared as a thread on Cruise Critic and is public information.

Have you only "heard about Celebrity", or have you actually taken a Celebrity cruise?

We will be new to Celebrity this fall. I assure you I have done extensive reading about Celebrity and am looking forward to a top shelf experience. However, my post was an answer to the noted question.

Tread softly:D I made the comment about something we were told and boy oh boy have the rumor hounds had a good ole time with me for that one. No more cannon fodder for this ole guy:rolleyes:

There is no doubt that MSC Divina sailing the Carib out Miami is by far the best value at this time, due to their aggressive marketing and brand building effort. She is a nearly new ship, with a very high end Italian decor. The live music and dance venues are top notch and plentiful. The food is OK and the itinerary is just OK, but not exotic. But having said that, we have sailed her twice and can recommend Divina at least once for anyone looking for something similar to what I've heard about Celebrity.

I have never sailed MSC, but have met several cruisers on some of my groups bruises with Celebrity and on my once charter cruise on Celebrity who had tried the Divina. They all said they'd never sail that line again, and were shocked that it was a nearly brand new ship and they still did not like it. Another instance of different wants, needs, expectations.

I';ve seen the website and photos and agree it looks very nice but will head my colleagues advice.

You like it, people I have met said to stay away. I was looking at booking it due to a group I wanted to sail with but they convinced me to look elsewhere and book with the same group on a different day and line.

I believe that there was an article on the subject in the March 13th NY Times. This appeared as a thread on Cruise Critic and is public information.

If that's what the changing entertainment being alluded to is, I am very much looking forward to those changes. Someone posted video of the liquid nightclub on reflection an another thread just a few days ago. Looks cool, definitely a 1 time per cruise thing though, and its audience will vary cruise to cruise for sure. Some will LOVE it others HATE it. It's going to be totally dependent on he particular customer demographic on board each sailing for sure.

I've never been on a "bad" cruise, but some are better than others. My reference to MSC Divina was in response to a question about value. Divina is aggressivly filling its cabins with rock bottom pricing, like $299 for a balcony seven days. I will reiterate, she is worth a sail, at least once, especially if you have never sailed her.

We will be new to Celebrity this fall. I assure you I have done extensive reading about Celebrity and am looking forward to a top shelf experience. However, my post was an answer to the noted question.

I'm pretty sure that you will love your Celebrity cruise. You will most certainly enjoy the service and overall quality. Enjoy and report your impressions when you return.

Sorry Boogs, but I'm not going to name names, and risk people losing their jobs. As for what exactly I was told, I'd rather not share it at this point, as it would only inflame a hot button topic.

My understanding is, that Celebrity has a new entertainment director. I'm sure this person is trying to make their mark so to speak, and try outside the box events. That's perfectly fine, as long as it's an enjoyable experience. The new items I observed on Eclipse were (IMO) dreadful. Of course, that's subjective, just as food is, and a hundred other items !

As I've said previously, I'm concerned with onboard entertainment, but I'm willing to be fair to Celebrity, and take a wait and see approach. Hopefully, when the dust settles, they will create a plan that works for most demographics, and not any one specific target.

I have 2 open booking for celebrity, I cruised on the summit in 2007 for a 14 night to Hawaii and it was incredible, we stayed in concierge class for both of us it was under 3600. But after joining CC and reading all the complaints, and the very high prices, I might give up the open booking and take the loss. Why would anyone risk their cruise and money on celebrity again?

If you are Loyal to Royal, why change to Celebrity? You can make a booking with your "open booking" made in 2007, cancel and get your money back. Have your bookings on Royal become more expensive since 2007? Prices have gone up on many popular sailings but Celebrity bargains are still to be had if you look for specials.

We have sailed on Oasis and Allure this year and find that Celebrity pricing is quite competitive with a better cabin layout, better food options, and much friendlier service for similar Celebrity sailings.

There were more entertainment options on Oasis and Allure but our overall experience on Eclipse, Century and Solstice this year have been better and competitively priced than either of our Royal sailings.

There have been changes made by Celebrity over the last 6 months that have resulted in many negative reviews. Depending on your own preferences these changes may not have been for the better but the overall experience will still offer a wonderful cruise comparable to your Royal sailings.

We continue to sail on Celebrity rather than on other lines because we do find competitive pricing for the itineraries that we like.

I'll certainly give the new entertainment executive a chance...and I'll be honest in my opinions on the survey at the end of the cruise and here on CC. I'm sure his mission is measured on customer satisfaction...he's already had his budget cut. That exec has a tough job...but it will be easy to measure.

I'll certainly give the new entertainment executive a chance...and I'll be honest in my opinions on the survey at the end of the cruise and here on CC. I'm sure his mission is measured on customer satisfaction...he's already had his budget cut. That exec has a tough job...but it will be easy to measure.

I do as well. It is really easy to criticize this person before they have made major changes. Why not wait and give them a chance, instead of folks already painting a doom and gloom scenario. We might not all like the changes, but change is not always bad. Just because I might not like a change, doesn't mean that the majorty won't like it and Celebrity should go with what the majority wants.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Sorry Boogs, but I'm not going to name names, and risk people losing their jobs. As for what exactly I was told, I'd rather not share it at this point, as it would only inflame a hot button topic..

I don't care about names. I wouldn't know who they were anyway. I am not as well connected with the cruise industry people as you are, so their names would be meaningless to me.

I am only a customer who is curious about what are the changes that you brought up. I don't understand why this is such a secret. If you weren't prepared to tell us what the new direction was, why in the world did you even bring it up? It's as if there is a clique here on CruiseCritic that shares information among themselves and keeps the rest of us guessing, as if you are telling us "I know a secret, and I am not telling you!" Not cool.

Edited by boogs

I don't care about names. I wouldn't know who they were anyway. I am not as well connected with the cruise industry people as you are, so their names would be meaningless to me.

I am only a customer who is curious about what are the changes that you brought up. I don't understand why this is such a secret. If you weren't prepared to tell us what the new direction was, why in the world did you even bring it up? It's as if there is a clique here on CruiseCritic that shares information among themselves and keeps the rest of us guessing, as if you are telling us "I know a secret, and I am not telling you!" Not cool.

So, just go on your cruise with Celebrity. You will have a wonderful time! Who cares what he said and she said; does it really matter? Use this board to glean information that is pertinent or don't go on a cruise with Celebrity. Life is just too darn short not to be happy! I could always go on the cruise for you????? But it needs to be after my Baltic cruise in June!

Edited by Lastdance

Boogs, there was an article in the NY TIMES and it is still available

on line. Not sure what is secret?...or why? but everything is on line

and anyone in the public genre can read it. It is in the Travel Section

about keeping "Entertainment Fresh".

Andy, I don't want anyone to lose their job:eek:....but the article

has names on it...the "New Entertainment Director"...she gives

an interview and allows the paper to post her name.

I also am not sure why something "possible" is such an issue......

Just my opinion......

Not sure what is secret?...or why? but everything is on line

Just my opinion......

FWIW, I had a long chat with an onboard member who should be in the know. What this person described for what's ahead in entertainment, is very concerning. I only hope they reconsider their plans, but I doubt they will.

What is quoted in the article and its application on board might not sit well with some, from staff to passengers. Andy was referring to an onboard source not the article.

Remember the fresh, up-to-date implementation of Cirque? What a disaster that change was.

A suggestion of an innovative toast in the atrium rather than the "stodgy" theatre.. Princess was doing that 20 years ago.. How is that innovative. I know we always prefer to be sitting with a drink in hand rather than standing shoulder to shoulder in the foyer.

The trick is attracting new trend setters and the larger number of veteran cruisers and getting those diverse demographics to like the changes.

To draw a share of the new cruisers, and to keep the veterans returning,

Jus witness the posts loving louder and louder DJ's and the veterans preferring the opposite. You can't please both in the same venue nor having the same "new" stuff in every venue. "One size fits all" is an impossibility to achieve when satisfying tastes in food or entertainment.

Trying to recommend a cruise ship or cruise line is like trying to convince others that your favourite colour is the same as their preference.

Just my opinion......

Thank you for the information. When something is hinted at here from someone who is closer to Celebrity than we are, it's natural to wonder what that something is, especially when the comment suggests that is is a negative development. Anyone who has any curiosity, or cares about their future decisions, would appreciate the information you directed us to. Unlike some, I don't simply book a cruise without caring about what I will be experiencing, all the while hoping for the best. I have limited funds to spend on cruises and I certainly don't want to spend it on a product I won't be satisfied with. That is one of the main reasons I have spent most of my cruising dollars in the past decade with Celebrity. I will continue to do so until they make enough changes that they no longer provide a product I can be comfortable with.

Edited by boogs

So, just go on your cruise with Celebrity. You will have a wonderful time! Who cares what he said and she said; does it really matter? Use this board to glean information that is pertinent or don't go on a cruise with Celebrity. Life is just too darn short not to be happy! I could always go on the cruise for you????? But it needs to be after my Baltic cruise in June!

Sorry, but I already have one wife who can't resist lecturing me that my concerns about things are wrong. I don't need a second! :D

In the end the only thing that will count will be the conclusions of the corporate bean counters. They will see a change as "good" if it meets or beats the projected numbers. It will be "bad" to the extent that it misses the numbers. The story will be in the numbers. Positive numbers: the change stays. Negative numbers: the change goes. Simple as that.

Thank you for the information. When something is hinted at here from someone who is closer to Celebrity than we are, it's natural to wonder what that something is, especially when the comment suggests that is is a negative development. Anyone who has any curiosity, or cares about their future decisions, would appreciate the information you directed us to. Unlike some, I don't simply book a cruise without caring about what I will be experiencing, all the while hoping for the best. I have limited funds to spend on cruises and I certainly don't want to spend it on a product I won't be satisfied with. That is one of the main reasons I have spent most of my cruising dollars in the past decade with Celebrity. I will continue to do so until they make enough changes that they no longer provide a product I can be comfortable with.

So you would appreciate someone giving you information that may be true but could also have changed by the time it is implemented? I think we've all made it clear that we are Celebrity fans but have some concerns lately. I certainly am taking the wait and see approach because many times their "plans" change before they are even implemented. I for one am not providing any information that I'm not completely sure of and that I haven't experienced myself.

Just my opinion......

Another thanks for pointing out this article. It is ironic that the article mentions the entertainment on NCL's Breakaway, the irony being that it seems that this new entertainment director is trying to follow NCL's entertainment direction, in essence turning Celebrity into another NCL. Not at all a good sign. :(

Edited by fortinweb