Maximizing Aqua Class on Solstice?

John73

My fiance and I leave tomorrow out of Seattle on an Alaska cruise. I upgraded us from Concierge to Aqua class as a surprise for her. What can we do to maximize the value of this upgrade? I know that Blu vs MDR is a great part of it, but what other benefits can we really make use of? We're looking to spend plenty of time on board just relaxing and making the most of the ship's amenities so any special Aqua class only amenity recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Please don't tell me you are in 1520 or the bow- because you will hate the noise from the gym. It was horrible. If so- switch back to Concierge. Blu and the use of the persian gardens and the little private lounge at the bow on deck 11- were the only real perks over Concierge.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

The Aqua category often costs about $400pp more than a 1A for 7 days. Persian Gardens cost $125 per week on our last cruise and the MDR had really good food. Plus, we got the triple larger balcony on the middle hump and it seemed like all the Aqua cabins had the small balconies and were up front where the motion is felt more. So . . . . for $275 less we can still get the Gardens, good food, and a huge balcony in a nice mid ship location. Aqua isn't a good value for us.

You can get the dallies that are offered in the MDR at dinner. These are not on the Blu menu. These include shrimp cocktail, escargot, French onion soup. Just tell your waiter when he takes your order. Also you can get eggs Benedict at breakfast which is not on the menu. The best waiters are up front near the windows on the right side.

The Aqua category often costs about $400pp more than a 1A for 7 days. Persian Gardens cost $125 per week on our last cruise and the MDR had really good food. Plus, we got the triple larger balcony on the middle hump and it seemed like all the Aqua cabins had the small balconies and were up front where the motion is felt more. So . . . . for $275 less we can still get the Gardens, good food, and a huge balcony in a nice mid ship location. Aqua isn't a good value for us.

There are very few middle hump balcony cabins. The OP is going to Alaska, have you ever had a balcony cabin on an Alaska cruise? Other than at the glacier it's not that important. We were on a 28 day cruise on the Solstice and after the first couple of days the balconies were not being used. We ate dinner 27 out of the 28 days in Blu, only one dinner in the MDR . Much better atmosphere in Blu compared to the MDR in my opinion. However if a little more balcony space is more important to you than go for it. BTW have you ever had an Aqua class cabin?

Bar 20, I think you must have had a great waiter in Blu. We asked for Eggs Benedict and were told it was not possible. I agree with you that Blu is great and we don't even use the Persian Gardens.

Go-Bucks there are hump cabins in AQ too, we have one for our upcoming cruise and since it is the middle hump, I don't think the chair noise will be that bad, if at all. We had a 1A on our last cruise and you are right about the large balcony being nice.

My fiance and I leave tomorrow out of Seattle on an Alaska cruise. I upgraded us from Concierge to Aqua class as a surprise for her. What can we do to maximize the value of this upgrade? I know that Blu vs MDR is a great part of it, but what other benefits can we really make use of? We're looking to spend plenty of time on board just relaxing and making the most of the ship's amenities so any special Aqua class only amenity recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What a great surprise! We're sailing in AQ next Friday and can't wait!

As previous posters have stated, Blu and the saunas are attractive to us, thus our booking. From research on CC, here are some suggestions about "maximizing the value of this upgrade":

*NOTE: these are just ideas from previous cruisers that I've found on CC, and not necessarily accurate as your taste and preferences may differ from other travelers*

-I've read that the AQ bottle of sparkling wine is not so good. You can enjoy it, or request a switch to your steward or at dinner in Blu. It may not cover a bottle of wine, but it could serve as a credit (I think that I've read that is approximately $20-$25 credit)

-You will receive afternoon canapes. If upon the first or second afternoon these are not to your liking, you may ask your room steward to swap these out for something else, like a cheese & fruit plate or shrimp cocktail. I've read that sometimes they will switch and sometimes they won't, but it can't hurt to ask if you're not satisfied.

-Bring a list of the AQ amenities, as previous pax have not received all that is included (slippers, tote bag, pillow menu, bottled water, fresh fruit, etc.). Be sure to receive every benefit of this booking! Communicate with your room steward or, if necessary, Guest Relations.

-Read that AQ pax receive an offer for 50%off or BOGOfree at a specialty restaurant on the first night of the cruise. I've heard wonderful, absolutely wonderful, things about Blu, but for such a deal, why not treat yourself to Murano or Tuscan Grille?

I have a doc saved with lots of info, but those are my top recommendations!

Wow, you sure do your research. You're off to a great start. Enjoy AQ. We loved the 50% off the Sp restaurant.

Is it sad that I recognize your screen name? :p

Yes, I've done my research, and it's thanks to posters like you for your info, advice, and humor!

• 3 weeks later...
Persian Gardens cost $125 per week on our last cruise and the MDR had really good food.

Was it $125 for two people or per person?

I returned the bottle of sparkling wine to Blu and was not offered a credit. However, I didn't ask for a credit.

Blu and Concierge staterooms have outdoor foot stools. Sometimes blankets will be available near the pool towels or lawn. Grab one and take it back to your room to enjoy the your outdoor space with more warmth. The AQ hump cabins have large balconies. Some are a bit shaded but I find that to be a pro, plus if you get one angled the right way, should be a bit of a wind break.

Blu is fantastic. The hostess on Solstice, Lia, is fabulous. Always smiling, and never did I hear the word "no" from her. Never waited more than 2 minutes for a table for two, no matter what time we arrived.

But it is terrible for breakfast on the last morning. We are elite and could have gone to the special lounge and had pastries and not been stress about missing our departure window.

Use room service for morning coffee, smoothies and etc to enjoy the scenery will relaxing on your balcony before going to Blu for breakfast.

You will also get upgraded robes that may be useful in Alaska.

here is a link that will really be helpful

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2054906

Enjoy Alaska it is beautiful area.

Edited by miched

Enjoy! We love blu and have cruised aqua ever since we tried it. Ignor the negative comments it is a great plus. Also take some time to explore the Persian garden the hot stone loungers are quite amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you still eat in the main dining room for dinner istead of Blue or do you have to have your dinners there?

I am wondering this, too. In case Blu isn't for us, will we be able to be seated in the main dining room?

I'm surprised at the negativism towards Blu and aqua. We book aqua, dine in the MDR usually one night and are immediately reminded of why we like Blu....it's the atmosphere, the quiet, the ability to talk in normal voices...and the fact that you get your condiments with the meal instead of getting the horseradish sauce after you've finished the roast beef. Blu gives you a completely different feel for the ship and the cruise.

Hints for aqua...there is a pillow choice...don't let the room steward point to the bed and say they are all there...they aren't. I always ask for a foam pillow and if they say they don't have them, I suggest that they find one...it's on the menu you probably won't find.

You should be able to bring the sparkling wine to Blu and exchange it for a %28 credit towards another bottle of wine or they may just exchange it even for a house red or white. In any case, don't bring it the first night...ask the somellier in blu if he will exchange it for you if you bring it the next night.

Do enjoy blu for breakfast...fresh orange juice is included. If what you want isn't on the menu, ask if they have it or could make it...they try to be very accomodating...example is eggs benedict which some ships do and some don't. You can alter items on the menu...for example if there is a salad with filet on top, you can ask for the filet with some vegetables instead.

Aqua is definitely a step up in atmosphere...and the food is, in our opinion, better seasoned and finished than in the MDR.

enjoy your cruise.

From what I've read on CC, yes, guests my choose to dine in the MDR instead of Blu. I've also read that it would be appreciated to alert the maître d of Blu to this change prior to dining.

Loved Blu. I wanted to know my options before cruising, too. However we dined there every night, and we didn't give the MDR a second thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what I've read on CC, yes, guests my choose to dine in the MDR instead of Blu. I've also read that it would be appreciated to alert the maître d of Blu to this change prior to dining.

Loved Blu. I wanted to know my options before cruising, too. However we dined there every night, and we didn't give the MDR a second thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Blu is your assigned dining room, you will not have a seat reserved for you in the MDR. You may however eat in the MDR if you make arrangements. Who you make them with may vary by ship but a good start is the Maitre'd in Blu. If you do eat in the MDR, chances are that it will be in the Select dining area.

I continue to read on different threads "good luck" wishes on find the pillow menu, the AQ room service menu (with smoothies and such), and so on. This was our first cruise, so I was exploring every inch of the ship, including our room! Here's a pic of our room:

On the counter beneath the TV, there is a small binder. This had general information (room service menu, maps of the ship, etc.) about the cruise and room amenities. Nothing particular about AQ located here.

In the side cubby, just below and to the left of the TV (and my husband's sunglasses), you can see brochures and papers. This is where I found all of the AQ amenities and other goodies that I read that so many other people never get and/or find. Perhaps their rooms were missing this product. Just in case you're worried about not having a body pillow (like me :p)...check out the cubby!

20140530_134045_zps2a5606f4.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Frawnsay, I'm a super newbie here (this is my first post). I'm about to take the plunge and book my first cruise for our honeymoon. Planning on Alaska June 2015 in an aqua class rear-facing aft room. Silly question, but I was wondering- were the flowers in your photo included with the aqua cabin, or something you purchased? Thanks!