You Paid and Princess Listened

cruzsnooze

Princess or any company for that matter only cares about the bottom line. They do not care about the individual.

I am not loyal to any one company as they are not loyal to me .

I have foound loyalty from a company has been a one way street, at least from the 1960's. Larger companies may talk about loyalty, but most do that until it somehow impacts the stock price or bottom line, and then the individual is impacted (wage freezes, RIF's, outsourcing, layoffs, etc.).

Now that I am retired, the most loyalty I see from a company is actually from Princess and CCL - where they provide benefits for those who have sailed often with Princess, or who own CCL stock, or who have served in the military. Some may argue that these benefits are small (like Hors d'oeuvres) but we have found them to be really nice, and an incentive to keep cruising with Princess, adding to a great cruise experience.

And that keeps us coming back, which does affect the bottom line...

Edited by Times Prince

I don't think it's possible to get worse than a 30 minute ventriloquist show in the Princess Theater, music trivia in Explorers and a DJ in Club Fusion who was on a break.
Especially if one is cruising b2b2b... on the same cruise ship for months at a time.

Especially if one is cruising b2b2b... on the same cruise ship for months at a time.

Heck, that's not enough entertainment for one night on any length of cruise.

Thank God for iTunes. We were coming back on the ship once with our laptop after downloading video content on shore and this lady sniped at us, "I don't know why some people can't just unplug on vacation". We were taken aback; we certainly would never think of saying something judgemental like that to a fellow passenger while on a cruise. Luckily, the security guard overheard the comment and told her we lived on the ship. That shut her up.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Heck, that's not enough entertainment for one night on any length of cruise.

Thank God for iTunes. We were coming back on the ship once with our laptop after downloading video content on shore and this lady sniped at us, "I don't know why some people can't just unplug on vacation". We were taken aback; we certainly would never think of saying something judgemental like that to a fellow passenger while on a cruise. Luckily, the security guard overheard the comment and told her we lived on the ship. That shut her up.

I'm glad!

If that helps keep the base cruise price down then I'm all for it. Helps us poor people get on board and allows those with the means to dine and drink better.

I tend to agree with you. If the company can generate extra revenue from the people on board then they can keep the base fare down to get people to buy a ticket. That gives those of us who don't buy the extras a reasonable fare for a great cruise.

At this stage I agree with the very first post. I am elite with Princess and have seen a dramatic drop in standards from what they once were. As in Sterling Steak House used to be free, there were no tacky things like "The Sanctuary", the ships were ideal size and not crowded. The introduction of the Crown class ships was a major step backwards.

Those cheap and tacky revenue extras like "The Sanctuary" - does not bother me as I have never paid for it and will not use it.

Right now I am still happy with Princess, but the writing is on the wall. I have already tried one cruise with the competition (Celebrity) and am definitely going to do more with the competition.

IF Princess did introduce and maintain a fee on deck grill food and other food outlets then that would mean I would no longer cruise with Princess ever again. Their buffet food for lunch is nothing more than slops. A shadow of its former self.

Their service at the bars is still outstanding and there are excellent perks for being elite. Right now my cruise experience with Princess is still top notch. I cannot complain about or fault their product at present in any way.

I will only sail on certain Princess ships - Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond, Sapphire, Coral, Island Princess and possibly the Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess if I a desperate. I will not cruise on the horrible Crown/Caribbean versions as they are just the Grand class with a deck slapped on top increasing crowds and ruining the cruise experience.

That being said the moment my list of ships with Princess leaves the fleet, and if they don't replace them with similar sized ships then that ends my cruising days with Princess.

I will then cruise with Celebrity who offer larger ships with less passengers than Princess.

Edited by KarateMan

I tend to agree with you. If the company can generate extra revenue from the people on board then they can keep the base fare down to get people to buy a ticket. That gives those of us who don't buy the extras a reasonable fare for a great cruise.

The "great cruise" is being eaten away. What will you think when there is a charge for the MDR, breakfast entertainment etc. Wont be so great then. At the rate its going, we will just have a standard land hotel experience where everything will be extra - but will have a cheap room rate :(

Princess has had many revenue enhancing moves in the recent past, from raising the laundromat prices to $2 wash and $2 dry to the increase of $1/drink for many alcoholic beverages to raising the Sabatini's fee to $25 to increasing the Sanctuary charge to $40/day.

I see no need to additionally take what is now included in the base fare and start charging for it.

Princess has had many revenue enhancing moves in the recent past, from raising the laundromat prices to $2 wash and $2 dry to the increase of $1/drink for many alcoholic beverages to raising the Sabatini's fee to $25 to increasing the Sanctuary charge to $40/day.

I see no need to additionally take what is now included in the base fare and start charging for it.

Well said.

cruising used to be for the middle class and above. Now we see and hear about people who want dirt cheap fares so they afford to cruise. Cruising has become mass market for the masses and is nothing special anymore.

There are lines out there to satisfy your high end needs, but it sounds like you like Princess pricing. BTW, Princess is mass market.

Kept to an all inclusive package for everything would it have kept its clients and would it have encouraged new folks?

The cost of living on land and sea has doubled from a few years ago which would mean a large increase on the cruise package.Would this have outpriced some of the regulars and discouraged newbies from cruising with Princess?

What was Princess to do in this situation?

That is the million dollar question.

The "great cruise" is being eaten away. What will you think when there is a charge for the MDR, breakfast entertainment etc. Wont be so great then. At the rate its going, we will just have a standard land hotel experience where everything will be extra - but will have a cheap room rate :(

Sounds good to me. Let the passenger choose the services they wish to pay for, rather than subsidizing my idea of a "great cruise".

People -- you shot yourself in the foot so to speak when you accepted ridiculous $100 PP prices for a "chef's table" dinner and specialty restaurants and paying for special coffee and special gelato so why would you think the cruise lines will stop putting more pay venues on board. I've been reading where people say they are willing to pay more for higher quality so they dummy ed down the MDR so you could pay more for specialty restaurants. RCL and NCL have some shows that are a paid venue. The regular ice cream wasn't good enough so RCL put in a Ben & Gerry's to lighten your wallet. Coffee needs to be better so they put in Seattles or Starbucks or specialty coffees. Soon we will be paying for a cabin and mediocre banquet meals in the MDR with no extras.

So if people stop using the pay venues they will shrink and/or disappear but as long a people pay why not?

I'm going to take a better look at cruise lines that are all inclusive. When I do the math they are a better price and experience.

Here's the deal, YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THESE THINGS, they are optional. We drank the coffee that was served and brought our D'Vita to doctor it up. The specialty restaurant (Steakhouse) was given to us as it was part of the package, otherwise we wouldn't have paid to eat there. We did not attend any shows as they are all alike regardless of the cruise line. We don't care who the celebrity is on board, it's not worth our time or money to see them. We cruise for the ports and to just relax and enjoy the free music. The meals in the MDR are mediocre - that's why we don't bother eating there, there's better options in the buffet. I do see each cruise line trying to out do the other. I'm happy with a balcony cabin, eat where I please, and ignore them trying to get into my wallet. The decision is yours not theirs.

Here's the deal, YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THESE THINGS, they are optional. We drank the coffee that was served and brought our D'Vita to doctor it up. The specialty restaurant (Steakhouse) was given to us as it was part of the package, otherwise we wouldn't have paid to eat there. We did not attend any shows as they are all alike regardless of the cruise line. We don't care who the celebrity is on board, it's not worth our time or money to see them. We cruise for the ports and to just relax and enjoy the free music. The meals in the MDR are mediocre - that's why we don't bother eating there, there's better options in the buffet. I do see each cruise line trying to out do the other. I'm happy with a balcony cabin, eat where I please, and ignore them trying to get into my wallet. The decision is yours not theirs.

Not for long :)

Princess was a much better line when you had everything inclusive in the fare.

How long ago was that?

I have been cruising with Princess since 1995 and even then soda, for example, was not included.

I just returned from a 29 day cruise to the South Pacific on the Golden$$$ My friend and I compared the per day cost on Princess vs Regent which she sails. It is almost twice as much per day! We all have a choice and I'm grateful I can sail on Princess and pay for tours, wine and specialty restaurants as I chose. Karen

How long ago was that?

I have been cruising with Princess since 1995 and even then soda, for example, was not included.

I will agree. I started with Princess in 1999 and I don't ever remember "everything" included. Yes, it has changed over time to keep pace with the industry-they didn't have specialty restaurants back then. Nor did they have soda packages, drink packages or coffee cards. The basics haven't changed-friendly, polite crew, good cabin and dining service, decent food etc. Yeah, I know the food quality has changed but you won't starve and most of it is darned good. Most people seem to forget that you are not getting gourmet food-it is banquet food! I'm happy with Princess and with the loyalty benefits. :)

I just returned from a 29 day cruise to the South Pacific on the Golden$$$ My friend and I compared the per day cost on Princess vs Regent which she sails. It is almost twice as much per day! We all have a choice and I'm grateful I can sail on Princess and pay for tours, wine and specialty restaurants as I chose. Karen

That would depend on the cabin category of course. We book full suites with Princess and since Regent is all suites the price is almost the same.

Mike:)

About 10 weeks ago we got off a 30 day South Pacific with HAL. I must have really missed something if Regent had a ship in the Pacific taking in multiple ports, in that case we would have been on the Regent ship and not HAL.

Your reference to the price of Regent being double that of your trip on the Golden has to refer to the base price. When we cruise on Regent we have a huge selection from a variety of wonderful experiences to choose from, shore excursion offerings being a good example which to select, which we do. Like good wine, I can't drink all they offer and I can't take all the shore excursions they offer either, E.G. Sometimes we prefer to just chill on board. We don't eat in the specialty restaurants every night either on Regent.

Now, when we are on HAL or Princess, we have to choose from selections as well, the big difference is that the cost is included in the base price of Regent. If we want to save on HAL or Princess, I guess we could hardly venture from the stateroom very far but to eat in the MDR. Of course we don't do that, so go along with their nickel and diming schemes and the total cost generally works out to be very close. Actually, Regent comes out ahead price wise on most of our voyages. Here is a good comparison: Albeit, the Princess cruise is on the newer Diamond and not the Golden.

https://www.rssc.com/media/experience/pdfs/ValueComparison_Asia.pdf

Edited by kennicott
spelling

Not for long :)

Really don't care if it's for free or not. If there's a pianist playing okay, heard a couple of jazz bands and they were okay. Saw a juggling act and a sword swallower that lasted a whole 10 minutes, amateurs IMHO. So, seems the cruise line is sinking in their entertainment. Older people on board, how does Princess keep them entertained and extract money out of their wallet at the same time? We're tough ones to deal with. ;)

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Well I can understand the price increase for laundry and drinks. It's still less expensive to do your own wash than to send it out and I don't know of any other cruise line that offers that service. I see a price increase of our favorite wine at home so I'm not surprised of the increase on board. However I can't believe they get $40 a day for a glorified lounge chair in the sanctuary. I think people book it just because it's in limited supply and owning the real estate makes them feel special. I usually sit in the free area across from the sanctuary and often it's empty on a sea day even though the attendant claims its sold out. My guess is that it's purchased by the passengers who want an all inclusive fare regardless of whether they use the service or not.

• Administrators

Hi, everyone!

This is an interesting discussion and clearly some feelings are running high. Please take a moment to review the Guidelines for our boards at this link -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines. Please remember that postings should address issues, not members, and that name calling is never appropriate on our boards.

If you have concerns about a particular post, please use the red triangle in the upper right hand corner to report it for review. Please do not reply to it on the boards.

Thanks, and if you have any questions about our Guidelines, the email address to use is community@cruisecritic.com.