Do you like Ken Rush as cruise director?

We had him last week on Allure, my 3rd time sailing with Ken, and I think he did a very good job. It's strength is clearly the behind the scenes stuff, the entertainment programming runs very smoothly on his ships and he seems to be an excellent manager. That said, he's more of an MC type than a pure entertainer (like some other cruise directors), which is fine by me... I don't need the CD to entertain me. I'd be happy to sail with Ken again in the future. I thought Ken / Captain Johnny / hotel director whose name escapes me were a great team because IMHO the ship was incredibly well managed in all facets.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We have always liked Ken. One of our favorite cruises was on the Navigator a few years back. Ken did an outstanding job as CD. We compare other cruise directors to him! BTW, Ken broke his finger in water volleyball, staff vs cruisers on that Navigator cruise. But he still kept going at 110%!

I had a negative opinion of him as of last year.

But since I last sailed with Ken, I have had FOUR whom I would put lower on the list.

So he is at worst the fifth worst CD.

;) :D

Who are the other four CD's that you would rank lower than Ken Rush?

My family had him 4 times, and we really think he does an excellent job. His activities staff is organized. He is personable and talked to my family each time we cruised. On an Allure cruise that was at sea an extra 2 days due to weather, his team did a very nice eighties show on one of the extra days.:)

The Allure was my 53rd cruise and I have to say honestly out of the past three years, he was the only cruise director that I took notice of. He does his job very well and he is professional but remember his job is to make people happy and have a good time and he does a very good job at it. He was always present at all the main events and always talked to people including us. I think he brings humor to the passengers also, for instance, got to love his glow jacket that he wears in the parties. He got our attention and we noticed him everywhere in all events. He is one of our favorites and does a splendid job. :D

We feel the same as several of you! He thinks he is the best CD ever. We would never change a cruise because of CD but we have had CD that were fun and made you feel like a value customer. He made me feel like I was privileged to have him on my cruise

We've only sailed with him once but I thought he was no better or worse than any other CD. I appreciate what the CD does behind the scenes but their public persona has never really effected my cruise.

Ken Rush - the most polarizing figure in cruising! Carnival's John Heald gives Ken a run for his money, but I'm giving the edge to Ken since more loyal Carnival cruisers love John than loyal Royals love Ken.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I LOVE the following Activities Managers: (#2 on CD staff)

Katie Turner

Darryl Dyball

Tim Connor

Jacinta (not sure if she is still with RC - does anyone know?)

Erky from Turkey

:D

Edited by Merion_Mom

He's definitely not my fav, but it's not like the cruise director really impacts my cruise. But it IS nice having one you enjoy.

On the Indy, we had Joff Eaton and he was amazing. But this is all personal preference.

On Carnival Triumph, our first cruise, we had Kevin Noonan who most people thought were annoying,but he was fun and we liked him.

I've been on 6 cruises, and only remember 3 cruise directors. The other ones must not have been memorable enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by aubreyc1988

We feel the same as several of you! He thinks he is the best CD ever. We would never change a cruise because of CD but we have had CD that were fun and made you feel like a value customer. He made me feel like I was privileged to have him on my cruise

I would never choose a cruise because of the CD or Activities Manager, who is directly under the CD....but they can have an impact on my cruise experience. I don't want a CD or AM, to make me feel like I was privileged to have HIM/HER on my cruise....I hope they make every cruiser feel that the CD and AM are privileged that the cruiser CHOSE to cruise on Royal, and make the experience so great that they want to cruise again on Royal.

I have been fortunate to have those kind of experiences with some. To me the best Activities Manager is Elvis! Mitch Merucci and Dennis are tied for best CD.

Also just off the Allure yesterday. We didn't attend a lot of the activities but just thought he seemed arrogant. We also thought Capt Johnny was the most interactive capt we have ever had. Enjoyed watching his Capt's corner on tv everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruise directors, well for us is just something to watch............opening a show, hosting a contest.......some one gotta do it. Don't know why but I am usually picked to be a judge in a contest or two, got enough free hats and RCI stuff to make a profit on E-Bay.

Now captains, we sailed with Captain Johnny on the Freedom as well as the Allure, and I love his voice.....

" . . . Goodmorning, Goodmorning, goodmorning. . . "

Hmmmmmmm wonder if he will still be on Allure in July???

Sea Ya

:)Been on 4 cruises with Ken Rush. Have had personal interaction with him. He is like any other entertainer who has a busy schedule - he can only spend a certain amount of time with any one person. I think without any question that in my 20 cruises with RCI, he runs the best entertainment group of all!

Many RCI CD have learnt from Ken and speak very highly of him, that is why he has and continues to be the CD on the new ships. Love him or hate him RCI trust him. Have cruised with some CD I can't remember the names off and some that I would like to forget. Ken is like Marmite you ever love him or you hate him.

We had Ken Rush as our cruise director in April on Allure. I wasn't impressed with him OR unimpressed! He did seem to be full of himself but I believe many of the CD's are. The absolutely BEST we've ever had is John Blair (I believe that's right) on Serenade of the Seas back in February. His wife is Ass't. cruise director.......I believe that's her title. Anyway, he is GREAT and don't miss his Neil Diamond show, it's a can't miss. My husband said it was worth the price of the cruise to see that show.

Many RCI CD have learnt from Ken and speak very highly of him, that is why he has and continues to be the CD on the new ships. Love him or hate him RCI trust him. Have cruised with some CD I can't remember the names off and some that I would like to forget. Ken is like Marmite you ever love him or you hate him.

Not all. :rolleyes:

;)

We had Ken Rush as our cruise director in April on Allure. I wasn't impressed with him OR unimpressed! He did seem to be full of himself but I believe many of the CD's are. The absolutely BEST we've ever had is John Blair (I believe that's right) on Serenade of the Seas back in February. His wife is Ass't. cruise director.......I believe that's her title. Anyway, he is GREAT and don't miss his Neil Diamond show, it's a can't miss. My husband said it was worth the price of the cruise to see that show.

I vote for John Blair also........His wife is the Activities Mgr.....they make a great team.......You mention the Neil Diamond tribute.......OMG.....I agree.....that is something you don't want to miss. You close your eyes, and you'd think it was Neil on the stage.....he is amazing!

I LOVE the following Activities Managers: (#2 on CD staff)

Katie Turner

Darryl Dyball

Tim Connor

Jacinta (not sure if she is still with RC - does anyone know?)

Erky from Turkey

:D

I love Erky from Turkey, he is so much fun