Do you like Ken Rush as cruise director?

LOVE John and Katrina Blair! Now they made you feel like you were guests that were welcome to sail with them. Not guests who were HONORED to be in their arrogant presence like Ken Rush!

I am telling you - night and day!

Katrina would see us all over the ship - she would smile - ask if we were enjoying ourselves. She was unassuming. We sailed with her and John twice.

LOVE John and Katrina Blair! Now they made you feel like you were guests that were welcome to sail with them. Not guests who were HONORED to be in their arrogant presence like Ken Rush!

Katrina would see us all over the ship - she would smile - ask if we were enjoying ourselves. She was unassuming. We sailed with her and John twice.

So this is a husband and wife team of Cruise Directors?????

Another vote here for John & Katrina! We sailed with them way back on Song of America (he was CD and she was social hostess) and thought they were fantastic. Would love to sail with them again!

Edited by cruzeluvr

I absolutely could not stand him. One of the most arrogant CD's I've ever met. Not a fan at all. I could see right through the fake the minute I met him.

Edited by Fitzget

He's good at his job, no doubt. But he has a certain off putting vibe to him. He's an entertainer, he's always on, and he won't let you forget who the star of the show is.

If he's the star of the show, than it's a B movie and he's a D list celebrity.

Cruise directors are all kinda the same or so I thought until KEN. EGO. wow.

I thought it was just us. Even my son who is generally in a teenage world of his own - said-OMG this guy is driving me crazy. Ticked me off when the last showing of Blue Planet- was booked solid (we took your advise and planned) and at 4:23 pm for the 5:00 show, he left everyone in-reservations or not--he called it "an executive order". I am thinking, wow, glad I spent 2 hrs planning. He definitely is all about KEN.

The cruise director has always just been someone to open the show and let us know what is for sale that day, not meaningful to our vacation. Our cruises have been impacted by the staff that works the trivia and games, these are the folks we get to know and help make the cruise.

As for Ken, a few years back on the Mariner, he did a very good job of handling a hostile crowd at a M&M over the issue of RCCL pulling out of California. He discussed it honestly and directly without resorting to corporate-speak.

Never had the (dis)pleasure of sailing with him, but I've seen him on enough Royal propaganda to NOT like him...and not a fan of the Blairs either...(they're a little nauseating..)

I do like Graham, Allen Brooks, Dave Chapman (is he still around)...and Erky and Darryl are nuts. They're fun....

I do have a couple that i just do NOT want to cruise with at all...one talks too fast and seems to have a chip on his shoulder, and it also somewhat arrogant, and the other is just window dressing who likes to stand out in a crowd (heck when you're in a bright yellow gown and the rest of the ship is in, for the most part, black, you OBVIOUSLY want to be noticed...and when you're the CD and you have a well-known musical duo who wants to just PLAY someplace on the ship, in addition to their production show, and you can't be bothered to find a spare hour for them, in some lounge somewhere, you're just in over your head and you have no idea how to make the passengers happy...)

Frankly, I barely remember the CDs...as lIong as they're not running their mouths and making 10000 announcements a day, they're just there. I know...they have to book the entertainment and schedule this that and the other, but I cruise to get AWAY from it all, and I make my OWN fun...

I don't need someone with a gigantic ego telling me to get out there...

His demeanor didn't bother me. I thought he was very organized and gave helpful tips.

No issues with him either on our Allure cruise a few weeks ago. Captain Johnny spoke highly of him at least in the C&A Welcome Back Party.

Dave Chapman (is he still around)....

Dave left RCI last year to take an extended break and then move over to another cruiseline. He did come back as a favor to RCI to do an emergency fill-in on Oasis when Jimmy Rhodes had knee surgery a few months ago.

Yes! Here's why: On the Mariner a few years ago, I think I did Karaoke one night. He was NOT the host. A day or two later, my cousin, a friend and I were sitting outside of the pub. He walks by and says, 'Hello Mr. xxx xxxxx'! He NEW my first AND last name! I have no idea how, I never met him. Even my cousin and friend were shocked, asked if we met! If someone can remember my name, which is NOT common, then I like them!

We just had Ken for our second time last week on the Allure. Personally I think he has a very big ego and he is extremely cheesy but I can see why Royal likes him so much. He is very business oriented in that he constantly pushes you to purchase the products and services onboard. My wife and I refer to him as the walking Royal Caribbean commercial.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

We had him April 27th thru May 12th, b-b on Allure. We thought he was very good. He has the largest cruise ship in the world and is very organized in the progams on the ship. He also has good shows and various guest entertainers that are very good. WE LIKE KEN RUSH1

Edited by Hafta' Cruise
left the t off of guest.

Dave left RCI last year to take an extended break and then move over to another cruiseline. He did come back as a favor to RCI to do an emergency fill-in on Oasis when Jimmy Rhodes had knee surgery a few months ago.

We were on one of those sailings, and Dave was pretty good IMHO. Nice that he came back to help as well. Even though money was involved, coming back after his departure from RC shows that he has good character.

Ar·ro·gant: having or showing the insulting attitude of people who believe that they are better, smarter, or more important than other people

I must agree totally. I have never liked him. He REALLY thinks he is the "be all, end all" to cruise directors.

A positive cruise director will make me motivated but I don't try to be influenced that much by a bad or not that energetic cruise director.

I had Ken Rush last week and for some reason I didn't like him. He has years of experience with royal but I had the feeling that he feels like the "king" of the cruise.

On the other hand the " captain" which don't have a big role when it comes to entertainment I saw him riding his bike in the promenade ( how cool was that) and you can tell he is having fun

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I understand your point of view. I liked him.(had him twice) I liked him because he did change things up a bit at the Love and Marriage shows as well as Quest. He scolded people who brought their kids to Quest (he did this twice and changed things about the show each time) I found his morning shows to be helpful and other tips he had to be valid. I have heard people who had direct interaction with him don't like him, but I've not had personal contact with any CD 1on 1.

Edited by BillOh