When was the loud music problem solved

Loreni

So if it was so loud you couldn't hear someone standing right next to you and yelling in your ear that would be OK? I have absolutely no hearing problems.

No, we sat at a table and had perfectly fine conversation. Some nights it was the two of us, some nights other couples joined us and we'd have anywhere from 4-10 people together. No one complained about the music level.

Avalon Scenery Burgundy and Provence-June 2010

Celebrity Infinity Alaska-May 2012

Celebrity Century Pacific Wine-Sept 2012

Celebrity Millennium N Alaska-July 2013

Celebrity Century Pacific Coastal-May 2014

Celebrity Millennium Malaysia and Indonesia-Nov 2014

Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal September 2015

We were on the Century May 10 to 18, 2014 and went to the Martini bar every night for a martini before dinner (sometimes two martinis). We didn't have any issues with the music level. As one poster has said, the word "loud" is very subjective. Hope you enjoy your next cruise!

Well, it sounds like they lowered the volume between my cruise

an yours then......good, glad to know they finally did something

about it.

No, we sat at a table and had perfectly fine conversation. Some nights it was the two of us, some nights other couples joined us and we'd have anywhere from 4-10 people together. No one complained about the music level.

Like I said in my previous post, maybe they finally lowered it

bewteen February and your cuise. Good, glad to know you could

chat with each othe at a normal level.

You should get out more.;)

There was a major thread in which one of the CDs stated that if you did not like the loud music it was time to move on.

There have been more frequent cruisers posting negative comments about loud music than the hand full of infrequent cruisers that love the no longer current vibe you love.

On our recent Solstice cruise we did not notice intrusive loud music in various venues. Only Top Notch playing in the atrium would have rocked the place with a variety of dance music.

When we were on Eclipse in January, loud music was not an issue in the areas we frequented (we don't spend time around the pool)

Only on Century did the martini bar turn up the volume to prevent any conversation and many patrons went elsewhere.

Celebrity has turned down the volume, at least on four of the ships we have cruised over the last six months.

Your experience may differ especially if you have been on ships other than the four above.

Really? I know what I experienced on my X cruises and in my opinion the music wasn't too loud. Volume is subjective. I had no issues. ;);)

Really? I know what I experienced on my X cruises and in my opinion the music wasn't too loud. Volume is subjective. I had no issues. ;);)

That is good:)...glad you had no issues. But when someone posts it was

"all in our head".....that is not true either.:(.....I know what I

experienced too.

NO ! Music issues were not in our imaginations...

We and many fellow pax, certainly had music volume and content issues on our last two Celeb cruises, both on Silhouette...a ship we really like. These were both Carb itins...at the moment. I do hot have the exact dates but will look them up out of curiosity.

First time out it was a loud, repetitive loop of pre-recorded odd / often jarring music...played throughout the ship. It started early each day and when we asked for it to be turned down out at the pool, the area manager told me soewhat rudely "there will be loud music and it will not be turned down". We would stay for awhile but like many others had to flee the unremitting noise....made worse later in the morning by loud activitiy staff nonsense (some folks should not be given microphonesor whistles!) Other music on board was typical..not great but enjoyable, and the musicians rotated among the various venues. Included guitarist, party band, reggae duo, etc .Worked well.. And there was a great DJ who play in Quasar , had his turns out at the pool , around the ship and in upstairs club. He was excellent and had a great playlist to please all diff tastes. So the main issue on this cruise was the loud pre recorded loop of very bad selection.

Next cruise which I believe was almost a yr later was a shocker, We boarded and they had the worst loud DJ imagineable blaring at us...thought we got on the wrong vessel. That DJ and a banging drummer were a fixture in the atrium day and night,.blaring loud music some with questionable content. DJ also played same loud stuff outdoors...when not the DJ annoying us, it was recorded loud rap, techno, alt music ...was constant, often drowning out other musicians in Cafe Baccio, etc,

We have been pleased to hear changes are being made and look forward to our Reflection cruise....

We could argue this point forever. DH and I would sit in the buffet or a lounge. A few times I thought the music was too loud and sometimes just a poor choice. He loved it. This was one week ago on century. Generally the music level was appropriate.

If you can be flexible,both can enjoy. I often wear ear plugs even in land venues.

We were on the Century May 10 to 18, 2014 and went to the Martini bar every night for a martini before dinner (sometimes two martinis). We didn't have any issues with the music level. As one poster has said, the word "loud" is very subjective. Hope you enjoy your next cruise!

That is because, as is recounted a number of times in this thread, that the volume has been decreased, if not fleetwide, on a number of ships. Of course you didn't have a problem...it wasn't loud.

That is exactly the point. Some consider it loud, while others don't and they can be on the same cruise. It is just a difference in opinion and likes. I get really tired of posters telling those that don't feel it is too loud that they are wrong. As I've said, neither side is wrong, it is just that we enjoy the music at different volumes. Also, since some have mentioned the type of music when discussing loudness, I think the type of music is part of the issue.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Lois,

I just got off the Century yesterday. After reading your praises of the Martini Bar over the years, I decided to visit it the second evening. I lasted about 60 seconds! I was so surprised after all your complements, but I guess I should have been more careful and read your most recent comments. I'm very sorry to not have had the chance to enjoy the Martini Bar but relieved to know that its current incarnation wasn't the bar you loved.

Techno and Martinis? Who thought that was a good mix???

Lois,

I just got off the Century yesterday. After reading your praises of the Martini Bar over the years, I decided to visit it the second evening. I lasted about 60 seconds! I was so surprised after all your complements, but I guess I should have been more careful and read your most recent comments. I'm very sorry to not have had the chance to enjoy the Martini Bar but relieved to know that its current incarnation wasn't the bar you loved.

Techno and Martinis? Who thought that was a good mix???

Hi, so you were not able to enjoy it either.....so sorry:(

and yes, in years past I always loved that bar:)

I don't want to get into another argument with other folks:( about

it......seems it just varies ship to ship and cruise to cruise. I am

happy there are people who love it:) and sad for those who don't:(

There does not seem to be an even medium point....:eek:

That is exactly the point. Some consider it loud, while others don't and they can be on the same cruise. It is just a difference in opinion and likes. I get really tired of posters telling those that don't feel it is too loud that they are wrong. As I've said, neither side is wrong, it is just that we enjoy the music at different volumes. Also, since some have mentioned the type of music when discussing loudness, I think the type of music is part of the issue.

My question for you is do you enjoy music so loud that a person with good hearing cannot hear someone standing right next to him and yelling in his ear? This is not a subjective question and has nothing to do with any style if music.

Obviously, you weren't on one of the loud cruises.

On March 11, Celebrity Cruises official poster to these boards reported that they were adjusting the music on all their ships and it would take a few days. This was in response to all the complaints about the loud music.

I have, on NUMEROUS occasions, waited for the staff to leave, then reached over to turn down the master volume. Not off, not way down, but to a level that no longer PRECLUDES ANY OTHER ACTIVITY.

If the staff (and other posters) want to spank me for that, so be it.

LOL!! I remember on my Eclipse cruise going up to the Sunset Bar very early in the morning to enjoy a cup of coffee. Often the music was left on from the night before, at a very high volume. I would calmly go behind the bar and turn it down to a more "tolerable" level. :D

We can use a decibel meter or loudness meter in an attempt to quantify it. I agree individual perceptions are still subjective. There is a decibel meter ap for the iPad and Amazon sells loudness meters for under 70 dollars. Has anyone thought of trying to quantify the noise?

What I am worried about is that the noise problem hasn't actually been fixed. Management seemed pretty married to the idea of using loud music to attract a different demographic. Even to the point of not allowing onboard staff to adjust the volume in response to passenger demand....even if this resulted in an empty venue. A few months ago, I read a statement from Celebrity saying essentially that they would look into the music volume and adjust it IF it were actually a problem. I don't recall the wording, but it did not give me a high level of confidence that they would fix the problem. Maybe it is working and they are attracting the desired demographic while also driving away undesirables (like me, I guess). But if this is true, and profits are up, why the need to attempt to devalue the drink package?

Edited by Loreni

Well, it sounds like they lowered the volume between my cruise

an yours then......good, glad to know they finally did something

about it.

Lois -- looks like all of our persistent complaining about the volume in Century's Martini Bar, back in February, really did pay off! Sure hope so -- if she's only going to be in service for another year, it will be nice for the folks who sail on her to have a good Martini Bar experience. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

We can use a decibel meter or loudness meter in an attempt to quantify it. I agree individual perceptions are still subjective. There is a decibel meter ap for the iPad and Amazon sells loudness meters for under 70 dollars. Has anyone thought of trying to quantify the noise?

What I am worried about is that the noise problem hasn't actually been fixed. Management seemed pretty married to the idea of using loud music to attract a different demographic. Even to the point of not allowing onboard staff to adjust the volume in response to passenger demand....even if this resulted in an empty venue. A few months ago, I read a statement from Celebrity saying essentially that they would look into the music volume and adjust it IF it were actually a problem. I don't recall the wording, but it did not give me a high level of confidence that they would fix the problem. Maybe it is working and they are attracting the desired demographic while also driving away undesirables (like me, I guess). But if this is true, and profits are up, why the need to attempt to devalue the drink package?

Someone had said that the decibel measuring aps on phones are not reliable and he was a sound person.

It depends on who you ask whether there is a problem. On one cruise a passenger came back reporting ear splitting music, while another passenger on the same cruise said there were no issues. So who is right and who is wrong; neither they just have different tastes and opinions. Yes, Celebrity did say that they would look into the music volume and you are correct, they said they would adjust it if there was a problem. Every review that I've read recently said that the Martini bar was packed and almost impossible to get a seat, so something must be right. You are just taking what people are saying as gospel, I would suggest you take a Celebrity cruise and judge for yourself.

Celebrity has said over and over again that they are not trying to attract a certain demographic; that is something I believe was started on here. I think Celebrity is trying to give us, a more up-to-date, upbeat experience, something I'm all for. I for one don't want there to be no music or to listen to easy listening music or a string quartet all day nor do I want to strain to hear music. I would like to hear the music of today, as well as music of yester years.

Like I said, instead of listening to all the negatives and positives about the loudness of the music, take a cruise and judge for yourself, because that is the only way you will know if it is right or wrong for you.

Someone had said that the decibel measuring aps on phones are not reliable and he was a sound person.

It depends on who you ask whether there is a problem. On one cruise a passenger came back reporting ear splitting music, while another passenger on the same cruise said there were no issues. So who is right and who is wrong; neither they just have different tastes and opinions. Yes, Celebrity did say that they would look into the music volume and you are correct, they said they would adjust it if there was a problem. Every review that I've read recently said that the Martini bar was packed and almost impossible to get a seat, so something must be right. You are just taking what people are saying as gospel, I would suggest you take a Celebrity cruise and judge for yourself.

Celebrity has said over and over again that they are not trying to attract a certain demographic; that is something I believe was started on here. I think Celebrity is trying to give us, a more up-to-date, upbeat experience, something I'm all for. I for one don't want there to be no music or to listen to easy listening music or a string quartet all day nor do I want to strain to hear music. I would like to hear the music of today, as well as music of yester years.

Like I said, instead of listening to all the negatives and positives about the loudness of the music, take a cruise and judge for yourself, because that is the only way you will know if it is right or wrong for you.

I may do this. Especially, since we were planning a European cruise next year and we find the Celebrity itineraries much more appealing. Also, with Europe I imagine we will be off the ship most of our waking hours, so the noise won't be an issue. Now we still may try a Caribbean cruise where, for us, the ship is the destination. It is good to know that if the noise drives us into our cabins at least the balcony furniture is comfortable and a full room service menu is available. Still, this really would not be ideal and if it comes to that, I doubt we would be repeat cruisers on Celebrity.

One does not have to spend thousands of dollars to find out that you may have picked the wrong ship. (or cruise line).

Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.― Otto von Bismarck

Find the person similar to your own cruising tastes and find out what they experienced. Like it loud.. follow their posts, like it varied depending on your venue, follow those posting their preference.

I may do this. Especially, since we were planning a European cruise next year and we find the Celebrity itineraries much more appealing. Also, with Europe I imagine we will be off the ship most of our waking hours, so the noise won't be an issue. Now we still may try a Caribbean cruise where, for us, the ship is the destination. It is good to know that if the noise drives us into our cabins at least the balcony furniture is comfortable and a full room service menu is available. Still, this really would not be ideal and if it comes to that, I doubt we would be repeat cruisers on Celebrity.

It's not likely that it will be an issue. Even before, the great majority of the levels were fine. It's just that sometimes it was extremely loud and there was a period of time where it seemed to be getting worse. I think they have made the effort to make it bearable again.

If you do cruise with Celebrity, please come back and let us know your thoughts about the volume of the music. I certainly understand not being a repeat customers if not a great experience, I cruised on Princess twice and didn't go back, because I wasn't happy with that cruising experience.

I may do this. Especially, since we were planning a European cruise next year and we find the Celebrity itineraries much more appealing. Also, with Europe I imagine we will be off the ship most of our waking hours, so the noise won't be an issue.

Balconies provide us with our own haven. Sipping a glass or two watching the sea pass bye regardless of what is happening on the rest of the ship can be very enjoyable, enough to make us sail again and again.

We have sailed frequently with Celebrity in Europe. The experience is awesome.

However timing can be critical: southern Europe is notorious for being extremely hot.

Entertainment was good , however in this area the choice of what event to hold in each venue needs to be reviewed , the bleed off of sound from the main foyer is not good and disrupts enjoyment in close by venues.

Music volume was NOT too loud however again the choice of venue for some performers needs to be reviewed careful selection will solve issues , my main suggestion is that the main foyer is NOT a suitable venue for dancing and other events , other venues are very much under used in the evenings such as the skylounge which is a great venue for a dance .

In the daytime the ship was very pleasant not too noisy at all however the recorded music played in the ocean view cafe is NOT suitable many repeats of a female singer singing what appeared to be a wailing lament, was not good

This is what I wrote after our Solstice cruise in March

Regards

John