"I don't like the cold"

layditx1

My sister & I are trying to talk my husband into an Alaskan cruise next May. Why May? Because the price is awesome! But he only wants to cruise in the warm/hot areas! I have been following John Heald and his adventures in Alaska and he posts every morning the temps where the ship is. 48-50 degrees early in the morning doesn't seem too cold to me! So, for those of you who have been, any ideas what to expect? I told him he can wear his sweats & not shave to keep his face warm! LOL!

We were in Alaska in August. Long sleeves, sometimes a jacket, nothing more....EXCEPT the day, in Glacier Bay, when we were parked in front of the Marjorie Glacier.

Then it was cold....very cold....everything I owned was on my body! :D

Hence the oft-repeated advice to dress in layers.

The ship was always warm and toasty. Nice hot chocolate on demand. Great food.

We wanna go back!

May is the 'Dry Month', that being said it is not at all cold when its dry, and remember, when viewing glaciers the ship is stationary, or, moving very slowly.

I have been on our balcony in May many times in my 'T shirt'.

Anyway, Alaskans will tell you that when it is raining you are seeing the 'True Alaska'.;)

john

no one can predict what kind of weather you'll get or how your husband will respond. If you go to a site like http://www.wunderground you can find historical data for any city. Maybe look at Juneau every May 20 for the past 5 yrs to get an idea.

May typically has more sun and less rain, so it might be sunny and 60's or it might be rainy, windy and 45! If your husband is THAT concerned, why pressure him into the cruise? He'll be miserable, you'll be miserable. Go with your sister and enjoy!

You're in TX? Wait until you have a few of those heat waves you all get in the summer, then gently remind him how nice it would be in Alaska in the summer :) We've been four times and never been miserably cold and we are cold weather wimps from Miami. Yes, you have to layer but if he really doesn't want to go then I agree take your sister and leave him home :)

We went in late May and had great weather. The most we wore was jeans and a flannel shirt or long sleeved jacket. The exception was when the ship was at the glacier.....extremely cold, as you would expect. So you just wear layers and gloves and a hat....the sight of the glacier keeps your mind off how cold you are!:)

no one can predict what kind of weather you'll get or how your husband will respond. If you go to a site like www.wunderground you can find historical data for any city. Maybe look at Juneau every May 20 for the past 5 yrs to get an idea.

May typically has more sun and less rain, so it might be sunny and 60's or it might be rainy, windy and 45! If your husband is THAT concerned, why pressure him into the cruise? He'll be miserable, you'll be miserable. Go with your sister and enjoy!

I 2nd going with your sister. My husband did not want to go either, so I'm going with my aunt. We leave in two weeks and have had so much fun planning it.

:)

We're in Glacier Bay today, and the weather is wonderful. Everyone is wearing jackets, but when out of the breeze it's quite warm. We ate lunch on our balcony in t-shirts. But that's not how it will always be, I realize. We watched 2 grizzlies foraging on the beach this morning while sipping spiked hot chocolate. Now we're hoping to see whales as we leave the bay. This is our 4th day of sunny or partly sunny, and no rain. That's one reason we chose May....cooler temperatures but more likely to not rain on us.

I second the others about not talking someone into going if they don't really want to, esp. If you have someone else to go with.

Overall, being 'cold' is very subjective. Since you are from Texas, maybe a 60 degree day might seem cold. We are from New York, and around 30 is sort of cold for us.

We have been twice to Alaska and each time, mid August, we never wore a jacket unless we were by the glaciers. Even then with the August sun shining, it really wasn't very cold, (more cool than cold). Of course if you feel cold if the temp dips below 70, then you might want to bring that hoodie along. really, especially walking in the towns, the weather is not cold at all.

Cheers

Len

We love the May Alaska cruises...getting ready for our 3rd one in 4 days :D...I prefer my Alaska a bit cool...after all it's Alaska not the Caribbean. If your DH doesn't want to go...leave him home...but sad as he'll be missing out on an amazing cruise.

Have been to Alaska 7 times in May. There is no general rule of thumb. It is a crap shoot even for the weather man. Take clothes you can layer and a wind proof, water proof jacket. I'm just back and used a winter jacket and spring jacket the next day - as I say a crap shoot.:)

I just got back from a May 11-22, 2014 Alaska trip. Did things on our own May 11-14 in the Anchorage/Girdwood/Portage Valley/Whittier areas, then boarded a southbound cruise in Seward for May 15-22. It was HOT the first few days we were there - we wore short sleeve t shirts and shorts on our hike to Byron Glacier, including while we hung out at the glacier's edge, and on many of our other treks. Seriously, it was very, very hot, but I think that was a fluke. It did get cooler as time went on but never truly cold. We had glorious sun until May 19, when it was rainy in Skagway and drizzly the next day in Ketchikan and overcast and yucky during most of our our Inside Passage day. I have been in May three times before and the weather generally has been nice - very little rain and often brilliantly sunny and warm. Even when there is rain and/or it is overcast, it has not been all that cold - nothing that a light jacket or fleece top would not take care of. Layering clothes is the key. May is a great time to go - long daylight hours, more snow and waterfalls, lighter crowds (our ship was only three-quarters full), few to no mosquitos, and, as you say, cheaper prices.

I spent YEARS trying to get my husband to go on an Alaska cruise. We are now in our early 50s and he finally agreed to go last year. We also went on a DIY land tour before the cruise. Long story short, we are doing it again this year!! He LOVED it! He had to be brought kicking and screaming (LOL) last year but can not wait to go this year! We went in early June (Celebrity Mellenium) and there was a heatwave so hoping again for that this year but not holding our breath. We had very little rain but it WAS very cold at the Hubbard Glacier. It doesn't matter anyway what the weather is, you and he will love it! If he doesn't want to go, take your sister!! :)

Y'all had a very hard winter last year. My god-daughter (a born and breed OKIE) has lived up there for 10 years, was telling us that Anchorage, Alaska was warmer than what it was in Oklahoma and Texas during the winter months. So if he goes to Alaska - it still won't be as cold as what it was last winter.

If he still says no - - - - -

let him stay home and then you can send him back photos each day of the glorious things you are getting to see, while he stews ;) back in Texas.

Alaska is amazing and you will enjoy it !!!!!!

Okie

We were in Alsaka just last week and the weather good. It went from cold to beautiful. Most of our port days started out cool but warmed up. Dressing in layers is the key. We would tie our jackets around our waist or stuff them in our backpacks. You will definitely need gloves and a hat that covers your ears. You will need jackets and rain gear as well. Not sure where you live but we are from Florida so cold can be what you are used to. Now if the wind kicks up and the ship is cruising you might find that a little brisk. Also while cruising Hubbard you will be cold but it is so worth it.

It was an amazing vacation.

Well, we've turned it into a "girl trip"! Me, my sister, sister in law, & hopefully my other sister too! My hubby said if someone backs out, he will go...LOL

Poor hubby - think he realized that the "girl trip" is going to be a lot more fun than having to stay at home worrying about being cold.

I wish you and your DS, 2nd DS and DSIL a lot of fun planning your trip and and even MORE fun while the 4 of you are on it.

Okie

Flying to Anchorage for the Land part of cruise in 5 days

WHOOT!!!!! WHOOT!!!!!

Edited by Okie1946

I just got back from cruise tour- 5/16-5/27/14. Vancouver we wore just long sleeve shirt. In 70's. Most times we wore a hoodie. When it rained- you will need either a hoodie with a rain coat or a heavy rain coat.

On deck at night during glacier days- gloves and coat.

Great weather. Only a sprinkle in Juneau and Anchorage. Temps were mostly 50's-70's.

My DH didn't want to do a cold cruise, but ended up having the time of our lives.

I am now sorting thru 3000 pictures.

Have a great time.