Coffee Addicts--What about MDR?

shiner6

I have purchased a coffee card, but wish to know what happens when I eat in MDR? Do I have to go to the IC and bring my "good" coffee with me or can I use my coffee card at a sit down meal for my beverage choice? We are coffee addicts and enjoy good coffee with our meals. I shudder to think about drinking "syrup made" coffee with all of my meals!!! I can do without wine, but not my coffee. Please advise!:D

You can order a specialty coffee in the MDR. The waiter will have to go down to one of the bars to fulfill the order and will take the coffee card with him/her to be punched. You can not get a "free" brewed coffee in the MDR. You can also ask the roaming waiters in the Horizon Court for a specialty coffee.

Jackie

I have never tried to get fresh-brewed in the MDR. I like to get a latte after dinner, and I use the card for that. DH doesn't mind the syrup, so he drinks that. Coffee is a serious subject around here. :) Most of us have figured out strategies to deal with the syrup, including supplementing it with some Starbuck's instant (but not in the MDR yet)! If anyone has gotten fresh-brewed in the MDR, I would like to hear about it.

[quote name='shredie']I have never tried to get fresh-brewed in the MDR. I like to get a latte after dinner, and I use the card for that. DH doesn't mind the syrup, so he drinks that. Coffee is a serious subject around here. :) Most of us have figured out strategies to deal with the syrup, including supplementing it with some Starbuck's instant (but not in the MDR yet)! If anyone has gotten fresh-brewed in the MDR, I would like to hear about it.[/QUOTE]

Coffee in the MDR is excellent. We try to have breakfast in the MDR so we can have a decent cup of coffee.

[quote name='granny49']Coffee in the MDR is excellent. We try to have breakfast in the MDR so we can have a decent cup of coffee.[/QUOTE]

This is a joke, right? :eek: You've got syrup coffee in the diningroom. so you can get the same stuff up in HC.

[quote name='sunsetbeachgal']For breakfast in MDR if we want good coffee we bring our cup of coffee from the International Café. At dinner in the MDR we usually order a specialty coffee or have coffee and dessert in the IC after dinner.[/QUOTE]

I like that idea.

[quote name='Pia1913']This is a joke, right? :eek: You've got syrup coffee in the diningroom. so you can get the same stuff up in HC.[/quote]

I'm confused. I thought the coffee in the MDR was fresh brewed and the Horizon Court was syrup coffee. It surely tastes different to me.

I'm now going to find out as I have a cruise in a few days. To me the coffee in the main dinning room tastes good and much better then in the horizon court. I am a coffee addict. I would be surprised if the coffee in the dinning room is the same. I usually order a specialty coffee in the dinning room using my coffee card..

[quote name='jsiegel']You can order a specialty coffee in the MDR. The waiter will have to go down to one of the bars to fulfill the order and will take the coffee card with him/her to be punched.
[/QUOTE]

The MDR galleys have a machine to make speciality coffee drinks.

[quote name='granny49']Coffee in the MDR is excellent. We try to have breakfast in the MDR so we can have a decent cup of coffee.[/QUOTE]

I guess some folks can disagree on this issue. We think the MDR coffee is similar to what we get upstairs, which is to say somewhere between old dishwater and a very weak syrup beverage masquerading as coffee. Just came off 25 days on the Ruby where we were always running down to the International Café where they had the only real coffee on the ship.

Hank Edited by Hlitner

[quote name='beach_fever_4ever']I'm confused. I thought the coffee in the MDR was fresh brewed and the Horizon Court was syrup coffee. It surely tastes different to me.[/QUOTE]

It's the same in both places. Perhaps you just want it more when you're in the dining room.

[quote name='shiner6']I have purchased a coffee card, but wish to know what happens when I eat in MDR? Do I have to go to the IC and bring my "good" coffee with me or can I use my coffee card at a sit down meal for my beverage choice? We are coffee addicts and enjoy good coffee with our meals. I shudder to think about drinking "syrup made" coffee with all of my meals!!! I can do without wine, but not my coffee. Please advise!:D[/QUOTE]

Ask the server to get you brewed coffee. He will go to wherever he has to go to get it and then punch it on your card. We do that all the time to avoid drinking the syrup swill served in the MDR. BTW, we also do that when we eat at the buffet.

Some may feel that this is imposing on the servers but this is what they are paid for and this is why they are in the tip pool for my daily tip.

DON

Coffee made from the concentrate is also used at many, many on-shore restaurants and hotels.

However, this concentrate comes in a number of quality levels and it does not appear that Princess is purchasing the highest quality available.

If you like the coffee at your favorite local restaurant, chances are it is made from a concentrate, but a higher quality concentrate.

Hi all, a quick question from someone awaiting their first cruise... Can I take my own coffee cup in and have them fill it instead of a ship cup? It's one of those nice insulated ones that will keep it hot for (literally) hours...

Jim

[quote name='donaldsc']Ask the server to get you brewed coffee. He will go to wherever he has to go to get it and then punch it on your card. We do that all the time to avoid drinking the syrup swill served in the MDR. BTW, we also do that when we eat at the buffet.

Some may feel that this is imposing on the servers but this is what they are paid for and this is why they are in the tip pool for my daily tip.

DON[/QUOTE]

The brewed coffee in the International Café is free to anyone who has a coffee card purchased on the same cruise.

Hank

[quote name='RoxnDox']Hi all, a quick question from someone awaiting their first cruise... Can I take my own coffee cup in and have them fill it instead of a ship cup? It's one of those nice insulated ones that will keep it hot for (literally) hours...

Jim[/QUOTE]

Yes you can!:D

[quote name='Colo Cruiser']No not even close.....

Now quiz me on Tim Tams which is a much better option. :p[/QUOTE]

Haven't heard those mentioned in quite some time, nor have I seen them. Need to check Target and see if they still carry them. Though I think they are seasonal and we are already out of season.

[quote name='Pia1913']You, my friend, are obviously not a coffee afficionado. ;)[/QUOTE]I'm not either, but we find coffee in the MDR at any meal to be a hit or miss proposition. It can taste (to me) excellent, but it can also be burnt, bitter, godawful stuff that no amount of doctoring with sugar and cream will help.

Many mornings we will have breakfast in the dining room, then proceed directly to get a latte because the coffee in the MDR was Meh to Bleh.