What is your experience with Standby Offers?

PunkiC

We are recently retired and want to maximize our cruising experiences.

Now that we are "Free" (PTL) we decided to sign up for Princess Standy Offers. How does it work?

Is it better to register for sailings in less than a week or in sailings that are one to two weeks out? If we sign up for less than a week, will they include deals that are further out?

We live in Seattle so we could get on a ship tomorrow out of Seattle, or even Vancouver, B.C., if we got the right offer. We also have millions of airline miles and, amazingly enough, award flights are often easier to find just a few days out, which I believe is when the airlines start to dump their unsold seats, so it's not unreasonable to think we could arrange a trip to Europe in less that a week.

Any input you have will be greatly appreciated.

We have only used it once, but it was a great deal. We are signed up for less than a week from Ft. lauderdale. The offer was sent by email for the Panama Canal on the Island Princess and it was,if I remember correctly, about a month out. &499 for 10 days was too good to pass up.

I signed up for everything. It can't hurt to have too much information... and you never know what you might be able use.

I've used it once (totally unexpectedly) -

I had to go from Korea to Canada. There was no rush and I was dreading the 24 hours of airport/airline hell and the long-haul transpacific flight. I was not planning on taking a cruise until I got a 'Standby Deal' offer for the Emerald repositioning Copenhagen to Ft. Lauderdale in Sept. 2011. I decided to go home 'the long way around': found a cheap, one-way air ticket ICN-CPH through Dubai on Emirates (got upgraded to Business Class on a brand new A380... luxury!); spent four days pre-cruise in Copenhagen to see the sights; then, jumped on the Emerald and arrived in Ft. Lauderdale 18 days later after visiting: Norway, Scotland, both Irelands, Iceland, Greenland, & Canada. I flew (back) to Canada - B.C. - from Florida.

EDIT: The whole trip cost only slightly more than flying from Korea to Vancouver... and that mostly was because of the expense of the hotel in Copenhagen (not a cheap city).

Edited by Bill B

I signed up for everything. It can't hurt to have too much information... and you never know what you might be able use.

I've used it once (totally unexpectedly) -

I had to go from Korea to Canada. There was no rush and I was dreading the 24 hours of airport/airline hell and the long-haul transpacific flight. I was not planning on taking a cruise until I got a 'Standby Deal' offer for the Emerald repositioning Copenhagen to Ft. Lauderdale in Sept. 2011. I decided to go home 'the long way around': found a cheap, one-way air ticket ICN-CPH through Dubai on Emirates (got upgraded to Business Class on a brand new A380... luxury!); spent four days pre-cruise in Copenhagen to see the sights; then, jumped on the Emerald and arrived in Ft. Lauderdale 18 days later after visiting: Norway, Scotland, both Irelands, Iceland, Greenland, & Canada. I flew (back) to Canada - B.C. - from Florida.

EDIT: The whole trip cost only slightly more than flying from Korea to Vancouver... and that mostly was because of the expense of the hotel in Copenhagen (not a cheap city).

I just love the way you think. What a great idea!

If you can, sign up for both a month or two out and also close to sailing. (Maybe sign each of you up to one of these.)

Some great deals a month or two out may sell out and never make it to the week-before-sailing e-mails.

Retired one year ago today! Have been signed up for any and all last minute deals for more than one year though and the majority of the cruises ee book are booked inside the final payment window.We have nowhere that we have to go to next nor any other constraints and just keep booking the deals. Did 3 B2B's Tahiti to Vancouver ending this May 3, booked our next 2 B2B's out of Dover and leave this Wednesday.

The only annoyance is that they stop sending the specials and clearance specials as soon as you have a cruise booked and then it starts up again about one week before your final booked cruise ends. They shouldn't stop sending specials as we could easily grab a cruise before we do the next one we have booked!

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

I agree just sign up for the standby emails for all the time frames.

Then just book the cruise you pick just like a regular cruise, there is no difference.

I think I put in as close to sailing as possible but I get all the standby deals regardless.

If you can, sign up for both a month or two out and also close to sailing. (Maybe sign each of you up to one of these.)

Some great deals a month or two out may sell out and never make it to the week-before-sailing e-mails.

What a great idea.

I really like the idea of taking off on the spur of the moment. It makes me feel so very retired and free. :)

Well its not really free. :p

I meant I am free. After 50 years of working every day and being responsible to clients and employees, being free to do whatever I want, whenever I want is just too fabulous.

Received some "Standby" offers this week, but from what I'm reading they're not really standby like the airlines where you buy a ticket and if there's a no-show or late cancellation you can get on the flight. It sounds like once purchased it's a guaranteed reservation - right?? If so - they have some really great deals.

Received some "Standby" offers this week, but from what I'm reading they're not really standby like the airlines where you buy a ticket and if there's a no-show or late cancellation you can get on the flight. It sounds like once purchased it's a guaranteed reservation - right?? If so - they have some really great deals.

Toberman, yes that is correct- you get special pricing so Princess can fill the ship. The prices are typically very good and you can select from available cabins ( or available guarantees catagories ) when you book.

Shelly

Yes its a regular booking. They just call it stanby due to the close date of the sailings.

We did a Standby Deal on a transatlantic last year ---> FLL to Rome 16 days for $599 interior cabin. We've never had an interior cabin but it was OK, especially on a TA when some days are windy and cool.

We added on a 12 day Greek Isles cruise to that --- wonderful b2b cruises!!

Don't hesitate to jump on the Standby Deals! The only difference is you have less time to prepare and sometimes cabin choices are limited, but once onboard it's all just like any other cruise.

We've been signed up for over 4 years and have never been presented with the opportunity to do a stand by cruise. I wonder if they go first to people with no Princess cruises booked?

I've been signed up for around 10 years and have yet to receive an offer. I haven't been able to cruise for the past three years (my husband thinks I should get a job first) and I still have received no offers. I live in greater LA too.

We've been signed up for over 4 years and have never been presented with the opportunity to do a stand by cruise. I wonder if they go first to people with no Princess cruises booked?

Its not standby as in standby at the gate for a flight. Its just an email that comes out with a short timeframe to book. Its still a regular booking.

They just call it standby fares because its close to sailing. Could be 1 week up to 2 months or so.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We have been sent several last minute offers in the past year. We retired to Ft. Meyers, FL a few years ago so its perfect for us. Fort Lauderdale is a 2 hr drive away and we found a great off-site parking company.

I think the best way is to look at Princess's Web site and search for some bargins. Also look at Cruise Critic often! Great information.

Before we retired, we only booked Balconies or Mini Suites, now we are more open to other rooms. We booked a 4 day last December for an inside room (never had that!) for $129 pp. Turned out we loved the room! Also received a credit for $129 pp for a future cruise.

We also found a 7 day Royal Princess cruise for last minute and with our credits, taxes, and trip insurance the cost was $715. for both of us!

Planning on two more this year! Its cheaper than any other vacation we found....so If you live close to a port....its an excellant value