BOGOHO rip off -- but at least it's up front

We did ghost bookings on two different computers for the same cruise and date. The prices on each were different. We then called Carnival and got an even lower price. We ended up with a mid ship ocean view balcony on Oasis for slightly over $800 pp. That was the final figure after all the port fees, taxes, and Diamond discount. For this cruise the BOGOHO worked well.

Maybe that is what I am doing wrong, I am going to call Carnival too and see if I get a better rate.:eek:;):D

many of those who say they got a great deal had already agreed to pay a jacked up price from the start, then got the bogoho so they think its great. when in fact its ok , nothing more than a price reduction and sales technique to drum up business and fill the ships for next year up quicker.

Unfortunately that is true of some sailings, but for all the sailings I was looking at, the BOGOHO price was indeed the best price that had been offered on that sailing. Luckily it's not hard to find out if a particular sailing was "jacked up" right before the sale, and by how much.

We've done 3 sailings already out of San Juan on Radiance class ships. The BOGOHO rate is the cheapest we've paid so far, and it is over Thanksgiving. We usually do Feb/March in the past. So I'm pretty happy.

many of those who say they got a great deal had already agreed to pay a jacked up price from the start, then got the bogoho so they think its great. when in fact its ok , nothing more than a price reduction and sales technique to drum up business and fill the ships for next year up quicker.

i caught the bogoho the first day and while it was a good price it wasnt the best ,nor the best iv gotten. i see there are some great deals inside 60 days. i do realize not everyone can do that though.

This is an interesting thesis, but you really need to back it up with some level of data.

I went back and looked at our last three Holiday cruises (all 5-night JS on Radiance class ships out of Tampa:

2012 - $3562

2013 - $3442

2014 - $3744

2015 (before the sale) - $3324; after the sale - $2682

The reality is that the "jacked up" price before the sale was actually the cheapest we've seen in the past three years.

All I know is I had a cruise booked in Oct 15 at one price , re did it at the BOGO deal added pre paid gratuities and it still came in like $150 cheaper so I was a happy camper , and booked an April 16 one at the same price. But that was like the first day of the sale.

Just like other's have mentioned even from other posts, if you happened to have caught the BOGOHO sale in the first day or two, then you would have potenially gotten a fabulous price.

Mine for example. Before the BOGOHO sale started, the price for 1st and 2nd person was 1369 p/p. On the second day of the BOGOGO sale, the price was still 1369 p/p and I was able to get the 50% the second person. When I looked Friday, 1st and 2nd person was up to 1919 p/p. So that went up considerable. I'm sure it will go back down once it is over.

You waited much too long as supply & demand pricing takes over. My Oasis cruise for Feb. '16 in a Central Park balcony was the same yesterday as when I booked it on the first day of the BOGOHO. After all discounts, I'm paying less than $800 per, plus OBC's of $100 from RCL and $150 from my TA. In addition, Specialty restaurant for 2 on a port day. Can't beat it.

This is an interesting thesis, but you really need to back it up with some level of data.

I went back and looked at our last three Holiday cruises (all 5-night JS on Radiance class ships out of Tampa:

2012 - $3562

2013 - $3442

2014 - $3744

2015 (before the sale) - $3324; after the sale - $2682

The reality is that the "jacked up" price before the sale was actually the cheapest we've seen in the past three years.

those are all jacked up prices you paid imo. hehe. well what i meant was they already booked for regular price and bogoho is nothing more than a price drop. it is good price dont get me wrong, just not deal of a lifetime.

those are all jacked up prices you paid imo. hehe. well what i meant was they already booked for regular price and bogoho is nothing more than a price drop. it is good price dont get me wrong, just not deal of a lifetime.

Old Irish proverb: Once you're already in the hole, stop digging. You've been hoisted on your own petard on this one. ;)

BTW, unless I'm mistaken, a price drop from the regular price is the Marketing 101 definition of a sale.

I've been price checking every day since the BOGOHO started, and what you are seeing with the per person price to begin with is the AVERAGE price per person taking into account the HO for the 2nd person.

For instance, I have one booked right now.

Shows $1,349 per person, but it's really $1,799 plus $899 = $2,698 total, and an average of $1,349. THEN, they add the port taxes and fees.

It's still a great price for a 12 night cruise, and including taxes, fees, tips, D+ balcony discount = $2,442 for two people.

Edited by pcur

I've been price checking every day since the BOGOHO started, and what you are seeing with the per person price to begin with is the AVERAGE price per person taking into account the HO for the 2nd person.

For instance, I have one booked right now.

Shows $1,349 per person, but it's really $1,799 plus $899 = $2,698 total, and an average of $1,349. THEN, they add the port taxes and fees.

It's still a great price for a 12 night cruise, and including taxes, fees, tips, D+ balcony discount = $2,442 for two people.

12 night cruise? Is it a transatlantic? I was pricing an 11 night Southern @ $3100 total for two people. Not sure it's such a "deal"....

12 night cruise? Is it a transatlantic? I was pricing an 11 night Southern @ $3100 total for two people. Not sure it's such a "deal"....

Yes, and the prices have jumped. TA's are booked actively when they are first released, then prices go way up, and then go way down in the 3 months before the cruise. It's very common to see TA's on the specials in this time period.

I booked in March 2014 on board the Radiance for April 2015.

I honestly can't say if this current promotion is a rip off or not, but I felt it worked to my advantage. Here's what I came away with while pricing a Oct/Nov. 2015 Panama Canal full transit for myself, solo pricing:

Celebrity Infinity OV cabin all in- $3945

Coral Princess OV cabin all in- $3773

Jewel Of the Seas OV cabin all in- $2740.

Needless to say I booked the Jewel with reduced deposit + $150 obc. Is it a rip off in other scenarios or sailings? Possibly. But I'm not going to complain! ;)

Tony

I can see how it appears to be working. But frankly, when I search for a cruise and the very first results page says "from $900" for a balcony, I really expect I'm paying $900 for me and $450 for the guest. I'd really rather it say $1200 if it's really $1200 and see the discount after the fact.

Yes, this!

Unfortunately that is true of some sailings, but for all the sailings I was looking at, the BOGOHO price was indeed the best price that had been offered on that sailing. Luckily it's not hard to find out if a particular sailing was "jacked up" right before the sale, and by how much.

How would someone find this out?

So, you're saying that the "from" price is already priced for two people?

Either way, still extremely misleading.

[quote name='ttnc4me']...So, you're saying that the "from" price is already priced for two people?
Either way, still extremely misleading.[/quote]
Correct, the "from" price assumes two people.

I can see why this seems misleading. However, they are in a price competitive market, so they want to show the lowest price up front. That's what most people are going to compare to the prices they see from the other cruise lines.