Gastropub

Cruising89143

Not as bad as I imagined from the earlier descriptions of bright & open. Still should look nice at night and have that darker Cellar Masters feel - just with a few TV's added...we'll sit in an alcove near the bar :) Or make the Ensemble Lounge our new hangout

TVs added? Why would anybody want TVs? I can watch that in my cabin. Or have I misunderstood irony?

What makes you think Bistro on 5 is closing? If you think it's for the new Suite Dining Room, Celebrity has confirmed this IS NOT the suite dining room space. They have recently raised the price for Bistro from $5 to $7, so it is generating revenue as well....I had never noticed its use much, but on the Summit one night as I passed all seats were full for the dinner menu with some waiting for seats.

If you have heard of some other reasoning for its closure, please share!

Yes read a thread awhile ago stating that. So where are they putting suite dinning now?

Love how they always end things with "at this time."

Only because folks will tend to print out an old claim 3 years from now sand say "Look I booked just for bistro on 5 and now it's gone and they didn't give me any warning! THAT IS BAIT AND SWITCH! and I must report it to the consumer affairs bureau."

Sad companies now HAVE to automatically add such disclaiming language to avoid such matters with their customers - customers should just take it as the companies right to be able to make changes and modifications at any time as it seems fit that is reasonable and not punitive towards its customers, and isn't going to MATERIALLY change the goods or services purchased.

Or customers should start their own similar business and try to make it so that they can never modify any of their business goals and objectives once the door opens and they collect a dollar and see how far that gets them. Cruise line, McDonald's franchise, lawn mowing service, whatever....

Like McDonald's having to print "Warning Hot coffee is HOT" or food makers that list egg in their ingredient listing then need to follow it up with yet another sentence at the end that sways WARNING Contains Eggs. As if someone is going to read that line wouldn't have bothered to read the ingredients list.

Sigh. Modern consumerism and the annonimity internet. :-(

Yes read a thread awhile ago stating that. So where are they putting suite dinning now?

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Where will the dedicated private restaurant be located?

The restaurant exclusively for Suite Class guests will be located in a newly created space just off the Main restaurant. On Millennium Class ships, the restaurant will be located on Deck 5 Port side. On Solstice Class ships, it will be located on Deck 4 Port side.

I notice this particular FAQ link is updated regularly, it was only 4 pages earlier in May, and now is 5, so it seems to be the best source for the most current information.

Edited by cle-guy

Love how they always end things with "at this time."

Kinda like my Grand Dad told me when I was a young Lad.

Son, when you get old enought to want to get yourself hitched, dont do it in the morning.

Why GranPa?

Cause ya just never know who ya might meet that evening!:D

Did you want them to say "we will never, ever, remove Bistro on 5"? Of course things can change!

The only thing constant is change, that's why I think it's silly that they have to add "at this time" to everything they say.

They couldn't just say: "We have no plans to remove Bistro on 5."

Only because folks will tend to print out an old claim 3 years from now sand say "Look I booked just for bistro on 5 and now it's gone and they didn't give me any warning! THAT IS BAIT AND SWITCH! and I must report it to the consumer affairs bureau."

Sad companies now HAVE to automatically add such disclaiming language to avoid such matters with their customers - customers should just take it as the companies right to be able to make changes and modifications at any time as it seems fit that is reasonable and not punitive towards its customers, and isn't going to MATERIALLY change the goods or services purchased.

Or customers should start their own similar business and try to make it so that they can never modify any of their business goals and objectives once the door opens and they collect a dollar and see how far that gets them. Cruise line, McDonald's franchise, lawn mowing service, whatever....

Like McDonald's having to print "Warning Hot coffee is HOT" or food makers that list egg in their ingredient listing then need to follow it up with yet another sentence at the end that sways WARNING Contains Eggs. As if someone is going to read that line wouldn't have bothered to read the ingredients list.

Sigh. Modern consumerism and the annonimity internet. :-(

Not as simple as that, McD's and lots of corporations are negligent just like GM killing people instead of fixing the ignition or warning the public because it is cheaper to pay people off.

McD's coffee was hot to the point of scalding and they were aware of the fact.

McDonald’s quality assurance manager testified that McDonald’s coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into Styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat.

McDonald’s admitted at trial that consumers were unaware of the extent of the risk of serious burns from spilled coffee served at McDonald’s then-required temperature.

McDonald’s admitted it did not warn customers of the nature and extent of this risk and could offer no explanation as to why it did not.

So they lowered the temp and warned their customers to be careful only after 700 people were scalded and they were sued. The settlement was for the amount of one day of McD's coffee sales.

There is public opinion, the internet and then the facts.

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

Edited by baldercash

Not as simple as that, McD's and lots of corporations are negligent just like GM killing people instead of fixing the ignition or warning the public because it is cheaper to pay people off.

[sNIP]

There is public opinion, the internet and then the facts.

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

All very true, maybe my reference to McD's was not the best, but the point is, common sense tells people some things. My grandparents and parents taught me at a very early age, anything hot, coffee, tea, soup, stovetop, carefully test it and blow it to cool it before ingesting. Don't just gulp it down to test it.

A beverage that is typically served HOT, should be assumed to be HOT. I'd get the language on the cup if theory were to print a temperature, but to say it's hot, well, DUH, it's not Iced coffee I ordered. I drank plenty of McDonalds coffee during those times and never had an issue, because I understood when I ordered the coffee it would be hot, and I need to let it rest until it reached an appropriate temperature I can tolerate to drink, or I would burn myself. Only a very, very, very minute percentage did have issue, and they would have generally moved on, but for some lawyers getting involved. Even today, I still have to let my McDonald's coffee sit for while as its still very very hot generally.

Some things should be common sense. Like businesses being able to adapt their business models and pricing strategies without having to alert every single one of their customers well in advance of the changes. Certainly businesses shouldn't be allowed to injure harm or kill their customers - that's not the argument here. We're talking about the availability of a specialty restaurant - that it is or isn't going to be there will not cause any sort of bodily injury or harm to anyone. :D

I agree on most counts, I am amazed by the warning labels on a ladder who doesn't know that falling form a height could cause and injury.

From observing the Customer service counters on ships there is no end of minor things one can line up ad complain about.

The joy of CC I started out thinking this conversion was a bad idea to thinking I will likely enjoy it.

Good to be informed and CC does that.

Oh, that's a hornets nest of a question. :D One's perception of meal quality is so subjective.

I can say I travel often in suites, and as such get 1 or 2 free specialty dining meals as part of my fare based on length of the cruise. On 3 of them, I have not used both free meals as I enjoy the MDR most nights. For me specialty dining is reserved for a more quiet dinner experience with new or special friends, not so much for an improvement in the quality of the food itself. Specialty dining is more about the ambience I think.

I think the MDR food is presented in a very fine fashion, even for "banquet" style dining, and have found if I get something not prepared quite to my liking, it will be quickly replaced and corrected.

I think the conclusion is that lines need alternate revenue streams in order to keep cabin fares relatively steady, and many people on vacation don't mind an upgrade every now and then and will pay a-la-carte, therefore the paid alternative dining venues are driving increased revenue via those folks, while the all inclusive MDR and buffet still remain for those who don't care to pay extra for an experience.

End of the day, it's a closed ship, full of food and ingredients - not much variance will be had to the ingredients overall. I don't know that the lobster tails served in Murano are any different than those served in the MDR the final formal night, but Murano offers it every night and with a different preparation in a more intimate setting is all, for example.

I agree with you. We have been on 5 celebrity cruises in the past 6 years. The last 5 on S class and enjoyed each one. In 15 cruises we have only eaten twice in the for fee venues and once was lunch. But the filet was excellent.

As for Bistro on 5, I have yet to see it busy at any time of day. Whenever I would pass by it was usually empty as was Cellar Masters

Our next cruise is December on Equinox.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm not a foodie so I still enjoy a good burger. In your opinion was the burger worth $7 more than he burger available from the Mast Grill?

If "yes", what made it special?

Enjoy your cruise and looking forward to a review.

I thought the burger was worth the charge. It's a thick burger. All food is prepared in the MDR.

So far this has been an outstanding cruise. If there have been cuts I haven't noticed. Bar service is very good. The crew is happy and wonderful fellow guests. Mostly guests from the U.S, U.K and Australia.

We are currently in Santorini where we have finally found good wifi. The ships wifi is horrible.

Here is my current view.

imagejpg1_zpse4f3b0ad.jpg

Edited by cruisingator2

I thought the burger was worth the charge. It's a thick burger. All food is prepared in the MDR.

So far this has been an outstanding cruise. If there have been cuts I haven't noticed. Bar service is very good. The crew is happy and wonderful fellow guests. Mostly guests from the U.S, U.K and Australia.

We are currently in Santorini where we have finally found good wifi. The ships wifi is horrible.

Here is my current view.

imagejpg1_zpse4f3b0ad.jpg

Thank you. Continue to enjoy a wonderful cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for the info on Gastropub!

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

You're welcome. :)

We ended up having dinner three different times during the 13 nights. All the food was good. This bar was MUCH busier than Cellar Masters. They held trivia here in the early evenings. Not sure if it was every night.

Edited by cruisingator2